Menu

Disclosure for those that sell or represent hs programs?

Ann@thebeach

I'm on other boards that if a person sells a product or does customer service for products related to to the site content-they have to disclose that info in their signature. Such as a baby carrier maker has to disclose her "brand" in her siggy so people know where she's coming from if she's talking about a similar brand.

Anyway, I think it would be helpful and ethical if members here disclosed if they sold/created a specific program or represented them at booths.

This would also be helpful so we could ask them further questions about it.

So when they write a glowing review of something we at least realize they are getting some incentive out of it. Not that they are not genuine, but that we have full disclosure I guess.

I'm certainly not saying all glowing reviews are suspicious, I've written them myself, but I just want to know the motivation behind it in some cases.

Thoughts?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's already a board rule that you can't answer threads with your recommendation if you are the owner/creator, isn't it?

No advertising

If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.

If you know someone is doing this, report them.

But this wouldn't prevent someone that represents them at booths to offer up their program right?

And I'm glad the current rule is in place but I'd still like to know who they are KWIM?

And I realize there's no way to really monitor this unless we absolutely knew, but I'd hope for some honesty.

Yes, no advertising is a rule here. To me, that means that you shouldn't be writing glowing reviews of your own program on a thread or starting threads that pertain specifically to your product (ie. starting a thread to anounce a new program-although I've never seen this done). I do however try to answer questions that are specific to my program as I don't believe that this breaks the rules. (Moderators, please let me know if it is!) I personally disclose it in my siggy that I'm the author of Elemental Science and I know that there are several other authors on here who do the same. Is that what your meaning?

Edited by Pata

Wow, I think over the years (and I've been on the board a lot of years) most people HAVE disclosed when they stood to make a profit from something or were the authors. I've seen a couple fluke things lately where an author who is not particularly a board user pops up just to talk about his/her stuff, but that's an anomoly, not the norm. Over the years we've had plenty of cases of published moms here talking about their stuff and other stuff, and they've always managed to walk the line ethically. Some don't even mention their stuff specifically but will list it in a whole LIST of good options, making a caveat at the end (or putting in their board name) that they are the author of one of them. Are there some specific instances that are bugging you? Perhaps you should write the board admin?

And repping for a company at conventions, which I have done in the past, gets you a very small compensation at the time and nothing later. It just leaves you more informed on the materials than the average user. You don't profit on the things you then share on the boards. I even STOPPED posting in those threads, because I found it was sucking my time without compensation. It's the company's job to sell their stuff, not me. There are some yahoo groups with paid or compensated moderators, but I don't think companies are paying moms to do that here on these boards. Most moms work the booth to get a little perk (materials, some cash, into the convention free), or because they enjoy talking with people (me). :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

And repping for a company at conventions, which I have done in the past, gets you a very small compensation at the time and nothing later. It just leaves you more informed on the materials than the average user. You don't profit on the things you then share on the boards. I even STOPPED posting in those threads, because I found it was sucking my time without compensation. It's the company's job to sell their stuff, not me. There are some yahoo groups with paid or compensated moderators, but I don't think companies are paying moms to do that here on these boards. Most moms work the booth to get a little perk (materials, some cash, into the convention free), or because they enjoy talking with people (me). :)

:iagree:

Here's what I think as someone who represented a company at a booth recently...

I am not an employee of that company. I received no monetary payment from the company before, during or after representing them at the convention. I contacted the company, I volunteered my time, energy, tables and what little knowledge I had of the product in an effort to help 'spread the word' about a curric. I like very much. I have never met the owners of the company, the authors of the books or anyone associated with company. I also do not see myself developing a long-term working relationship with the company.

Why would I include that in my siggy? If I were a paid rep or receiving some kind of kickback for referrals or something I could see the need.

I, too, have tried to reduce the amount of threads I respond to about this particular curric. because I was spending way too much time thinking about how other people would benefit from using it and decided that is not my job. Responding to those threads was taking the joy away from using the curric.

I would like to share that the reviews I write for that curric are similar to the ones I write for another curric. I use and have not volunteered for.

What about posters who get monetary compensation from a company (curriculum providor) when someone clicks a link (and buys something) to the product from their blog? And the poster raves about the product on this site, and has a link to her blog.

Here's an example--she calls it being an affiliate-

http://all-about-spelling.com/affiliates.html

I don't really care much myself, this thread just got me thinking about this.

I work at a booth during conventions but I recieve no compensation for time outside that booth. When I am on TWTM boards it is an individual not as a representative so I don't think I would feel comfortable with that. If I was getting paid for my time, then yes, it would be appropriate but I come here for fun not for work.

I am not an employee of that company.

Why would I include that in my siggy? If I were a paid rep or receiving some kind of kickback for referrals or something I could see the need.

similar here. I was posting a lot on one company's board because I just really like the stuff and was home a lot and it gave me something to do since I couldnt' go out of the house with autistic child. That company noticed my frequent posts. (hard not to -- I'm the most frequent poster over there.) I asked if I could help in their booth because I like helping. I didn't get in for free to the convention. They didn't pay my parking. Oh wait -- one of their employees was kind enough to share a subway sandwich with me. (I got the leftovers.)

Then, one year, they gave me a full lunch as a way to say thank you for giving up 2 full days of my convention to try to answer questions for their customers. Then one year, they let me eat supper with them. Does that disqualify me from posting? Does that give me incentive to post? No. That was a way of saying "sorry, that you paid full price to get into the convention and full parking on your own and then spent all day both days helping us.... can we at least enjoy supper together?"

I volunteered my time. When it came time to report my "hours", I told them to donate it to their missions fund.

I don't work for that company. I got accused on another forum of receiving some kind of compensation, kickbacks or "other perks". None of it is true. I pay full price for my curriculum just like anyone else.

I applied twice to go on staff with that company. Denied both times. should I put that in my siggy line? If I had been hired, I wouldn't have time to type.

I type because I enjoy the sound of the keys clacking. It drowns out the noise of the kids.... and I've used the same product for 7 years and really like it. Maybe some of my experience will help someone know if the program is bad or good for them.

but that doesn't mean I'm an employee.

edit to add: I moved to a new state and will not be helping at their booth anymore. Just have other stuff to do. definitely not a rep or anything for them. no long term relationship with those people (unless we get all religious and say we'll be in heaven someday). but my opinions haven't changed about the program.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

Most posters on these boards are above board on these issues. Once, however, I purchased a curriculum that was greatly overpriced because a former poster on this board raved about it. Whenever there was a thread about the particular subject, she would recommend the program. It turned out to be a mediocre product and I have never used it.

In one of the poster's later posts it came out that she was good friends with the curriculum's author. She probably truly believed in the product even if she was trying to help out her friend, but knowledge of the close friendship would have definitely altered my assessment of her posts.

All this to say, "Caveat Emptor."

The few people I've known that helped with booths at a conference DID get some materials as compensation-not money-but program materials. They also were trained to answer questions year round as a "rep" for the company. This was voluntary. For those that just get a meal or nothing, that's too bad! ;)

When a person like this would post about their program on the boards, I would just like to know that they were a rep for the company. Not because they were doing anything bad, but it seems to me they have a different agenda and/or perscpective than the "average" hs mom. Does that make sense?

I have seen 2 suspect posts in the last 2-3 weeks but I let it drop because the posters only had a few posts (only related to this program) and anyone with a brain could see they were probably vendors or pd reviews (we all know some companies do this).

So i posted this topic not to get people defensive about reviewing programs they've repped for, but just to give full disclosure. It's not a big deal at all on other boards I'm on for baby carriers or cloth diapers. I thought it would be a good thing here too.

My biggest problem with putting that in my siggy would be that I DON"T always say the company line here in TWTM board. I wouldn't want I say to reflect back on the company and if it is looking like that's what the board wants, I will need to not post here any longer. We talk about things here on the board that have to do with more than curriculum and my views may not always be what the company would like.

My biggest problem with putting that in my siggy would be that I DON"T always say the company line here in TWTM board.

dont' worry..... I won't tell. ;):lol: and that company doesn't monitor stuff over here for that.

but I've suspected for a long time that is the real reason you don't post more on that company's board. ;);) and that's why I know you aren't a rep -- you don't sound like their answers. hee heee....

I know you aren't paid to post anywhere for that company.

so, I hope you stick around over here. :grouphug:

I think part of it is that the original poster may not have known that there are different definitions and roles of people who help in booth. But hopefully, she's seen that just asking for disclosure of booth workers isn't the approach that she wants b/c some of us are just homeschooling moms who really like what we use and aren't planted here by a company.

Most of us have said that the vast majority of people are following the stated rules and disclosing where it makes sense. It doesn't make sense in all cases to say that you helped at a convention.

-crystal

I'm very new here, and was curious about this as well.

I think (after reading the replies) that this would be one of those things that would be difficult to figure out whether you should put something in your sig or not.

If you're the author or a full time employee of a particular curriculum - obviously you'd say something somehow, but from what I'm seeing that isn't the case most of the time. It's all paid piecemeal by convention, comped lesson mats, or unpaid volunteers.

Which brings us to: How would you define "spokesperson"? Someone who is compensated monetarily? Compensated with goods? Someone who merely loves the program but who only posts in the Hive and so is able to make a lot of posts? Someone who gets free admission to a convention but no other compensation?

Ultimately this has to be is a policing issue by the users of the forum off of the current advertisement rules.

If someone's only posts are to promote a particular product they should be reported and banned as they violated tos. However, to ask that anyone who has been associated with a curricula within a small and inordinately active volunteering community seems excessive.

Presumably you would never volunteer your time to talk about a curricula (and teach it to your children) unless you believed in it. This is not like other services. If the program is sub-par you are HURTING your own children. Seriously, who would do that?

Which brings us to: How would you define "spokesperson"?

I still can't find my dust pan. so.... instead of cleaning the kitchen floor, I'm doing this? oh the joy of having the 180 days done.

at convention,

I'd define "spokesperson" as someone who is giving the workshops at these conventions or is the lead person the convention organizers are in contact with from that company. how or what they are paid or not -- has nothing to do with it.

-crystal

...and anyone with a brain could see they were probably vendors or pd reviews (we all know some companies do this)...

Ann, I think you're blowing this out of proportion. What the myriad of posters in this thread just showed was that you can get respondees who SOUND like vendors or sales people because they have done that in the past. But these people aren't doing that now. And to read that into threads around here is just unnecessary. There are clear rules for the board, and the authors that come around here DO label themselves. Amy of WT puts that in her name. SWB is SWB. Andrew Kern is Andrew Kern. I don't remember Lene's monicker, because she does't come around often, but it's plain too.

I think because you haven't repped you don't get the flip side. I think most people feel a bit self-conscious and don't want to go around parading and saying who they've repped for. Nuts, most of those companies wouldn't want their name slung around like that the rest of the year. It's usually more of a one-night-stand type of relationship, lol. You're reading way too much into posts.

If something is unclear to you, all you have to do is ask. If you politely say Wow, looks like you know a lot about this. They should have you rep for them! They'll probably tell you upfront if they have or not.

And I don't know why anyone is shocked by the blog links thing. Is that such a stretch? Isn't that the point of the compensation? Would you even follow it if you didn't find merit and persuasiveness in the person's method or writings? I don't do it, but it doesn't seem so outlandish to me.

There's no need to go on a witch hunt here. If we buy a spelling curriculum or a this or that and hate it, ultimately it's our own fault.

re: Viral Marketing

Most posters on these boards are above board on these issues. Once, however, I purchased a curriculum that was greatly overpriced because a former poster on this board raved about it. Whenever there was a thread about the particular subject, she would recommend the program. It turned out to be a mediocre product and I have never used it.

In one of the poster's later posts it came out that she was good friends with the curriculum's author. She probably truly believed in the product even if she was trying to help out her friend, but knowledge of the close friendship would have definitely altered my assessment of her posts.

All this to say, "Caveat Emptor."

Yep.

And I don't know why anyone is shocked by the blog links thing. Is that such a stretch? Isn't that the point of the compensation? Would you even follow it if you didn't find merit and persuasiveness in the person's method or writings? I don't do it, but it doesn't seem so outlandish to me.

There's no need to go on a witch hunt here. If we buy a spelling curriculum or a this or that and hate it, ultimately it's our own fault.

I must admit, I find this kind of snarky towards Ann. I think she has a valid point.

As I pointed out on another thread just a couple of days ago that was X company this and X company that... there are always 2 sides to every story. Of course we moms (and dads) realize this, but when a parent is looking for a solution to something, and they feel as if they have tried everything and nothing has worked, they are liable to jump on something over which that fellow board member is giving GLOWING reviews. Especially if that member has many posts. If a mom or dad does not know how to seek out contradictory information (and most people don't - it isn't a slam, researching beyond the surface is a specific skill set), what are they to do?

If a person is watching from the sidelines (and I feel this is Ann's point), it is hard not to conclude that some posters have some type of interest, be it financial, personal, or otherwise (not simply - oh, I've used this thing and it's great for me) in a product or "system" (as many of the stuff we homeschoolers deal with are complete systems).

I think all of us here are pretty good about raving about things or saying things didn't work for us. Or initially raving about something and then coming back to say "hey - I thought this was working, but in the end, the proof wasn't in the pudding" (or vice versa). But I agree with SoCal Sandra, we do need to keep an eye out for viral marketing. It doesn't help anyone in the end.

asta

I'm on other boards that if a person sells a product or does customer service for products related to to the site content-they have to disclose that info in their signature. Such as a baby carrier maker has to disclose her "brand" in her siggy so people know where she's coming from if she's talking about a similar brand.

Anyway, I think it would be helpful and ethical if members here disclosed if they sold/created a specific program or represented them at booths.

This would also be helpful so we could ask them further questions about it.

So when they write a glowing review of something we at least realize they are getting some incentive out of it. Not that they are not genuine, but that we have full disclosure I guess.

I'm certainly not saying all glowing reviews are suspicious, I've written them myself, but I just want to know the motivation behind it in some cases.

Thoughts?

Ann,

I'll start with a welcome. I see by your post # that you're still in the "new" and I appreciate your comment. I would like to submit that in my time here, since 2001, I've always known about any author or salesperson and have never had a problem in this area. Most people are excited to share that they are convention helpers, etc. b/c that's a pretty cool experience when you really believe in a particular product.

I don't think you're on a witchhunt, but I do see the point behind the comment, as this thread alone may make a mountain out of a mole hill for new posters.

I wouldn't sweat this a bit. If you're suspicious, ASK. Although we're not always grown ups around here, usually in the K-8 section, we play nice.

Wow, I think over the years (and I've been on the board a lot of years) most people HAVE disclosed when they stood to make a profit from something or were the authors. I've seen a couple fluke things lately where an author who is not particularly a board user pops up just to talk about his/her stuff, but that's an anomoly, not the norm. Over the years we've had plenty of cases of published moms here talking about their stuff and other stuff, and they've always managed to walk the line ethically. Some don't even mention their stuff specifically but will list it in a whole LIST of good options, making a caveat at the end (or putting in their board name) that they are the author of one of them. Are there some specific instances that are bugging you? Perhaps you should write the board admin?

I am not an employee of that company. I received no monetary payment from the company before, during or after representing them at the convention. I contacted the company, I volunteered my time, energy, tables and what little knowledge I had of the product in an effort to help 'spread the word' about a curric. I like very much. I have never met the owners of the company, the authors of the books or anyone associated with company. I also do not see myself developing a long-term working relationship with the company. Same here!

I, too, have tried to reduce the amount of threads I respond to about this particular curric. because I was spending way too much time thinking about how other people would benefit from using it and decided that is not my job. Responding to those threads was taking the joy away from using the curric. Same here!

I would like to share that the reviews I write for that curric are similar to the ones I write for another curric. I use and have not volunteered for.

What they said. I am volunteering at a booth in July -- I am receiving nothing for it other than the opportunity to maybe meet some of the women on this bb IRL. In fact, one of the days of the convention is my dh's and my dd's birthday. So far, I have no one to 'spell' me at the booth although I am hoping that as the time gets closer, others might volunteer....but there is nothing in it for anyone to give their time, so that appears unlikely. I will receive nothing in exchange for my time, effort, traveling, wear and tear on my car, no gratis materials, no discounts, nothing, nada, zip -- I am doing it simply b/c I want to do it.

Edited by MariannNOVA

:iagree: hmmm, there are certain curriula that I just love--think they would pay me for my raving posts?? :D

No, they won't pay you. They will ask you if they may quote you on their website next to 'whatever' material it is that you love.....but that's the extent of it. :001_smile:

Well, I guess I better post here...

I am the author of AE. It is pretty obvious in my sig. I usually list mine along with others and compare them.

I am all for using what works for you. I am using HOD for the next two years, while unschooling the programs that I write. lol

I have recommended some programs that I haven't used but I have learned with more time here that there are enough people who have actually used it to go around.

I tend to recommend Elemental Science a lot but that's because I have used and loved the chemistry, and I like the idea that all of the programs follow the WTM recs and aren't cumbersome with too many books/too much time.

So there you have it. I felt like avoiding this thread might look bad on me. :o

If I ever receive money for the sale of curriculum I would disclose it. I have seen tons of homeschool curriculum in 20 + years, many I recommend for different reasons. Not that I love them all. If I was an author, fat chance LOL, I wouild disclose it.

I think working for volunteering in a booth is not the same. Very few people actually make any money at that. Most just want to share their love of a curriculum that works really well for them.

Of course I am not suspicious by nature, I research on my own. I would never purchase a curriculum because someone else said to. I do love recommendations, but then the work starts for me.

but Carmen....

no no no.... you don't look bad on this..... (giggle)

avoiding the "Wow and Congrats on 10,000 posts " thread over on general board..., now. that's making you look "bad". LOL!

:lol:

look for it. Bill started it and your fans want to see you post.

so zip over to general and post on it... you're over 10,000 post Professor Carmen :)

-crystal

Ann,

I'll start with a welcome. I see by your post # that you're still in the "new" and I appreciate your comment. I would like to submit that in my time here, since 2001, I've always known about any author or salesperson and have never had a problem in this area. Most people are excited to share that they are convention helpers, etc. b/c that's a pretty cool experience when you really believe in a particular product.

I don't think you're on a witchhunt, but I do see the point behind the comment, as this thread alone may make a mountain out of a mole hill for new posters.

I wouldn't sweat this a bit. If you're suspicious, ASK. Although we're not always grown ups around here, usually in the K-8 section, we play nice.

Not sure who you were looking at but I'm not "new" with over 400 posts and having been on the boards since 2008 and even on the "old boards".

I do know how the board works and I still stand behind my original query. Obviously, this not of concern to the majority which is fine. Many are quite concerned by their association with a company being "advertised" which seems interesting to me, but that's fine-to each their own.

OhElizabeth, I do find that you can be a little dismissive in your comments and this comes off as condescending. But again, everyone opens themselves up to others' opinions when you post on these boards. And stating it as a "witch hunt" -REALLY :001_huh: -talk about blowing things out of proportion!

I'm just always surprised at how some people can be so quick to put down others' thoughts on this board which is based on independence of education. :glare:

Moving on now.

We have had that issue here a few times over the years. Usually the regulars figure out who the poster is working for, but a newer homeschooler wouldn't know the reason behind their glowing review. The rule that exists came about because of a few rabid posters, who arent here anyore, who use to post on any thread about the subject area of the curriculum they wrote/ worked for, even if no one asked about their curriculum. I haven't seen that much since the new boards.

I dislike links in signatures that are affiliate or give the person 'points' in some way, but that's more because I'm a fuddy-duddy about homeschool marketing in general.

I have to admit neither of these bother me nearly as much as people who post vehement advice or opinions of curriculum they haven't used or have only been using a short time. I think those warrant disclosure. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

Well, I guess I better post here...

I am the author of AE. It is pretty obvious in my sig. I usually list mine along with others and compare them.

I am all for using what works for you. I am using HOD for the next two years, while unschooling the programs that I write. lol

I have recommended some programs that I haven't used but I have learned with more time here that there are enough people who have actually used it to go around.

I tend to recommend Elemental Science a lot but that's because I have used and loved the chemistry, and I like the idea that all of the programs follow the WTM recs and aren't cumbersome with too many books/too much time.

This was certainly not directed at you-after all, you DO say what you created.

What about posters who get monetary compensation from a company (curriculum providor) when someone clicks a link (and buys something) to the product from their blog? And the poster raves about the product on this site, and has a link to her blog.

Here's an example--she calls it being an affiliate-

http://all-about-spelling.com/affiliates.html

I don't really care much myself, this thread just got me thinking about this.

My only problem with this is where she recommends sharing on Yahoo groups. If you want to say one time in a group you are already an active member of: I'm being paid for referrals to this group, if anyone is interested would you help me out and use this link? But to just post about it in regular conversations and then use a referral link is icky, imho. Of course, I avoid MLM people IRL, too. :001_smile:

Of course we moms (and dads) realize this, but when a parent is looking for a solution to something, and they feel as if they have tried everything and nothing has worked, they are liable to jump on something over which that fellow board member is giving GLOWING reviews. Especially if that member has many posts. If a mom or dad does not know how to seek out contradictory information (and most people don't - it isn't a slam, researching beyond the surface is a specific skill set), what are they to do?

I agree. I have been a little alarmed at the times I have seen someone say they are going to switch their curriculum based entirely on one person's post. They have no idea what that person's family is like or how it is actually working. (Of course, this doesn't alarm me nearly as much as those who style their entire parenting method after the advice of posters whose dc they have never met. :001_huh:) I think not only do we need to warn people to get more input, but we all need to take care with what we say and help out those who are new (or desperate.)

I agree. I have been a little alarmed at the times I have seen someone say they are going to switch their curriculum based entirely on one person's post. They have no idea what that person's family is like or how it is actually working. (Of course, this doesn't alarm me nearly as much as those who style their entire parenting method after the advice of posters whose dc they have never met. :001_huh:) I think not only do we need to warn people to get more input, but we all need to take care with what we say and help out those who are new (or desperate.)

:iagree::iagree:.....and I would not be surprised if in doing what you have written and what I have bolded resulted in some 'curriculum junkie recovery.';) I hope I have articulated that correctly - I am NOT making you responsible for the change taking place. Just emphasizing that what you have written would be a positive change, imo.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

This has been an interesting thread. If nothing else it's a good reminder to make sure to do your own research and be cautious. I'm pretty new so I added a siggie (didn't have one before) that I think should sum me up so nobody thinks I'm trying to sell anything:001_smile:

This has been an interesting thread. If nothing else it's a good reminder to make sure to do your own research and be cautious. I'm pretty new so I added a siggie (didn't have one before) that I think should sum me up so nobody thinks I'm trying to sell anything:001_smile:

Yes-research is good! Not easy, but so important!

Nice siggy ;)

Not sure who you were looking at but I'm not "new" with over 400 posts and having been on the boards since 2008 and even on the "old boards".

I do know how the board works and I still stand behind my original query. Obviously, this not of concern to the majority which is fine. Many are quite concerned by their association with a company being "advertised" which seems interesting to me, but that's fine-to each their own.

OhElizabeth, I do find that you can be a little dismissive in your comments and this comes off as condescending. But again, everyone opens themselves up to others' opinions when you post on these boards. And stating it as a "witch hunt" -REALLY :001_huh: -talk about blowing things out of proportion!

I'm just always surprised at how some people can be so quick to put down others' thoughts on this board which is based on independence of education. :glare:

Moving on now.

My mistake. Jan 2008 is a long while, and I know that's the transfer date, perhaps I've been a bit unclear. This is the first time I've come across your name, so to me, you're "new" I apologize if my choice of adj. offended you, which was not my point or intent. I'm not putting your thoughts down at all, just saying that in my experience, I've never, ever had this problem and I have posted and read a tremendous amount of posts in my long time here. My concern with the thread is for the newbies. They're stressed enough about choosing curriculum in the first place, I wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea about the persons on this board. I believe your post expresses a non-issue and I'd hate for someone to believe there is a "problem" here that does not exist.

YES! This is one of the examples I was thinking of. A person asked about a curriculum that didn't have reviews anywhere. Suddenly a glowing review was posted on this thread by a person with only 3 posts. The other 2 posts were in other places on the board for the same curriculum-no other posts. But the OP seem to think this was good enough and commented she was going to try it. It scared me to think she'd buy something based on a questionable review.

Edited by Ann in IA
spelling

There have been instances where there have been relatives of authors posting and recommending a curriculum. It does happen. However, you can search any person's name and their posts. So if you suddenly see that all their posts are about recommending a certain curriculum or every thread that they respond to is a "What should I do for my xyz grader?" and they push a curriculum, then you can not put as much weight on their posts and reviews.

You have to use your own judgement. I think unless you are affiliated with the company that you shouldn't have to disclose if you worked a booth at a convention. I just got an email from the convention that we are attending soon asking for more volunteers and offering free registration in return for 2 hours of your time. I can see some Mom's taking up that offer that shouldn't be required to disclose that info.

There is a big push for affiliates on blogs now also. Even R&S has an affiliate link. If you research it though, it does not even remotely come close to being an income supplement. I think most that affiliate only do so b/c they believe in the product.

I think the policy in place now is a good one. If you are an author or affiliated with the company, then you have to disclose it. There is no need for anyone that doesn't fit that criteria to do anything else besides enjoy this board.

Edited by OpenMinded

There have been instances where there have been relatives of authors posting and recommending a curriculum. They were doing it on several boards without disclosing that they were related to the author. It does happen. However, you can search any person's name and their posts. So if you suddenly see that all their posts are about recommending a certain curriculum or every thread that they respond to is a "What should I do for my xyz grader?" and they push a curriculum, then you can not put as much weight on their posts and reviews.

You have to use your own judgement. I think unless you are affiliated with the company that you shouldn't have to disclose if you worked a booth at a convention. I just got an email from the convention that we are attending soon asking for more volunteers and offering free registration in return for 2 hours of your time. I can see some Mom's taking up that offer that shouldn't be required to disclose that info.

There is a big push for affiliates on blogs now also. Even R&S has an affiliate link. If you research it though, it does not even remotely come close to being an income supplement. I think most that affiliate only do so b/c they believe in the product.

I think the policy in place now is a good one. If you are an author or affiliated with the company, then you have to disclose it. There is no need for anyone that doesn't fit that criteria to do anything else besides enjoy this board.

:iagree: Nicely stated. Thank you :)

Ok, I have read all the posts. [whew!]

I tutor for a national company. I use their products. If I see a question about their program, I answer. After all, I have a little experience with it. I am honest. Yes, I have, in my own words, [drunk the kool-aid]. I like it. [it has no HFCS or fake sugars. :D] When I come here though, I do not come with as Pam from xyz. I don't want to. Sure I could help someone in MA make a decision to use the program, I won't benefit from it.

I come here as:

Pam who is trying to decide if I should add Apologia General Science to my dd's already very full sched over the next 2 years b/c I love it so much and it isn't used in 'my' program.

Pam who has three 2nd graders and am trying to figure out how to use AAS with them as a group. One on one almost killed me.

Pam who desperately wants just one more baby, but I don't know if I can handle yet another loss, and I'm old.

Pam who is buying a house right now.

Pam who is very much intrigued by MCT even though, I already have this 'program' that I am using.

Pam who does whatever SWB tells her to. ;)

I do not want to be known as Pam-who works for xyz so she can afford for her kids to attend xyz, and while she absolutely l.o.v.e.s. the program, knows that it is most definitely NOT for everyone.

I don't want to be known as only one thing. I am multifaceted. So I don't disclose that I am a tutor for xyz, in my sig line. I don't have to I have made it plain in my posts about it.

Does any of that make sense.

Ok, I have read all the posts. [whew!]

I tutor for a national company. I use their products. If I see a question about their program, I answer. After all, I have a little experience with it. I am honest. Yes, I have, in my own words, [drunk the kool-aid]. I like it. [it has no HFCS or fake sugars. :D] When I come here though, I do not come with as Pam from xyz. I don't want to. Sure I could help someone in MA make a decision to use the program, I won't benefit from it.

I come here as:

Pam who is trying to decide if I should add Apologia General Science to my dd's already very full sched over the next 2 years b/c I love it so much and it isn't used in 'my' program.

Pam who has three 2nd graders and am trying to figure out how to use AAS with them as a group. One on one almost killed me.

Pam who desperately wants just one more baby, but I don't know if I can handle yet another loss, and I'm old.

Pam who is buying a house right now.

Pam who is very much intrigued by MCT even though, I already have this 'program' that I am using.

Pam who does whatever SWB tells her to. ;)

I do not want to be known as Pam-who works for xyz so she can afford for her kids to attend xyz, and while she absolutely l.o.v.e.s. the program, knows that it is most definitely NOT for everyone.

I don't want to be known as only one thing. I am multifaceted. So I don't disclose that I am a tutor for xyz, in my sig line. I don't have to I have made it plain in my posts about it.

Does any of that make sense.

I certainly understand that we are multifaceted, never claimed the opposite. But if you are working for a company, that needs to be disclosed.

If people don't want it in their siggy-fine already.

If you disclose when you are posting about it-good. If not, you should specifically say you tutor for the company just as an FYI.

I certainly understand that we are multifaceted, never claimed the opposite. But if you are working for a company, that needs to be disclosed.

If people don't want it in their siggy-fine already.

If you disclose when you are posting about it-good. If not, you should specifically say you tutor for the company just as an FYI.

If I ever answer a post specifically about it I do. At least I think I do. It hasn't ever been a go back and make sure I'm 'legal', but I always want anyone who is reading to know that I am involved and not a disinterested party. Of course as I mentioned before, the only way I would benefit would be if they joined my particular group and I were the tutor. Otherwise, I won't see any $. Plus, like I said,I am not doing it for $. If I were, I would be in the wrong field. :tongue_smilie:

There have been instances where there have been relatives of authors posting and recommending a curriculum. They were doing it on several boards without disclosing that they were related to the author. It does happen. However, you can search any person's name and their posts. So if you suddenly see that all their posts are about recommending a certain curriculum or every thread that they respond to is a "What should I do for my xyz grader?" and they push a curriculum, then you can not put as much weight on their posts and reviews.

:iagree::iagree:

I should answer here as well. I work for Classical Academic Press, (customer service and marketing) as you can very clearly see in my signature! I enjoy being a member of the boards for the research in to what is important to classical homeschoolers, and for the opportunity to answer questions about CAP products if they come up. I do not post often. I will certainly not try to advertise.

As a quick note on our convention reps, we do hire some faithful customers to run a booth for us when our own schedules do not allow us to make it. We do actually pay cash for this, as well as travel expenses! Otherwise, though, they are not being compensated in any way.

Great discussion! :001_smile:

Totally agree with Tina that I never meant to offend you.

Now to say that people have to disclose who they work for, that really has a LOT of ramifications, which is why it's NOT a rule. Think about it, we have ladies with high degrees here who teach in colleges part time or more. Do they have to disclose that? Have you thought about the ELITISM that would result from that? So and so's opinion is more valuable because they have "I work for this company" in their sig. Or so and so's opinion is more valuable because they repped for such and such company. There's a certain amount of modesty and privacy to this frankly, not calling attention to yourself or trying to be more than anyone else. We have ladies here who are or have been La Leche League leaders. As a leader they have to give certain professional advice (not their personal opinions), represent the party line of LLL, and are covered by liability insurance. Can't they go to the general board and give advice on mothering and just be themselves, having their own opinions, not speaking for the company? They put on their company hats and they take them OFF.

There are multiple sides to this issue. I understand your concerns, but there are so few instances of this. It seems to me the current rules and resource structures (your ability to read all the threads of a person to see where they're coming from, your ability to contact them privately to clarify your concerns, etc.) are adequate. There is no way to make enough RULES to stop people from doing bad or unethical things. People will always find a way. If they make a certain kind of rule about marketing or sigs or blog links something, a new method will pop up. The peace of the boards solely resolves in good will and people chosing to do the right thing, best they can, at all points.