Menu

Ah, the gazebo scene of the Sound of Music

Guest Virginia Dawn
Didn't the Captain and Maria have a gazebo scene, too? ;)

Yep, and in my opinion it was far more romantic. :D

I love both those scenes in that movie (I love the whole movie period), but, at the risk of sounding sacreligious, I really hated the song the Captain and Maria sang. I mean, it's just kind of dumb sounding in my opinion for such a meaningful part of the film.

This is dh and I this summer in Salzburg at the real gazebo from the movie... :lol: He took me on the Sound of Music tour :hurray:.

The Sound of Music is my favorite movie of all time. I'm not exactly sure why, but I love it. My new goal is to go on a Sound of Music tour.:001_smile:

Edited by sarawatsonim

Yep, and in my opinion it was far more romantic. :D

I adore that scene. It's pretty hot, if you think about it. lol Christopher Plummer makes me swoon. The scene with the kids always made my skin crawl. It's worse than a whole Diseny Princess movie.

Edited by LibraryLover

Now I want to call my dh at work and tell him 'Somewhere in my wicked, miserable youth, there must have been a moment of truth. For here you are standing there loving me, whether or not you should".

And then have him hightail it home. ;)

But then, that would be lust, right? lol

Yes, those scenes are nice. But my favorite is when the Captain and Maria are doing the folk dance on the patio. I find that incredibly romantic and feel breathless just watching it. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:That movie is sweet--all family-oriented--but they do a very good job building sexual tension between those two. ;)

Oh, thank god. I love The Capt and Maria in that scene. I always want to smack some sense into Liesl.

We I saw the movie as an adult for the fist time, after a long time of not seeing it since I was a kid, I was SHOCKED with what a tease Lisel was!!

We I saw the movie as an adult for the fist time, after a long time of not seeing it since I was a kid, I was SHOCKED with what a tease Lisel was!!

Oh please. She's a pretty 16 old girl who likes a strapping 17 yr old boy (who had the wrong sense to be born when Hitler Youth was flourishing). It is not she who goes tossing pebbles at his bedroom window. ;)

I just can't stand the song :I need someone older and wiser telling me what to doooooo.

Even Belle and Jasmine have more sense than that.

Guest Katia
Oh please. She's a pretty 16 old girl who likes a strapping 17 yr old boy (who had the wrong sense to be born when Hitler Youth was flourishing). It is not she who goes tossing pebbles at his bedroom window. ;)

I just can't stand the song :I need someone older and wiser telling me what to doooooo.

Even Belle and Jasmine have more sense than that.

Yes, that and the fact that she was in her 20s while filming, so would have had much more experience than the normal 16yo of the time period being filmed. I'm sure that played into her performance, as she sure didn't look all innocent or anything, LOL. Wish they would have actually used a 16yo girl, but you get what you get..

Love Maria and the Captain. I've read all of Maria's books and they are such fascinating people:true Christians living their lives trying to follow the will of God.

And the grandchildren of the youngest boy (in the movie), The Von Trapp Children, are wonderful vocalists and put on a terrific concert. We've seen them live, and when they signed my kids CDs and found out my kids are homeschooled, they said, "we're homeschooled, too!" and they let my kids come back around the table where they were sitting and let us take pictures of them together. I think we have all of their CDs.

I saw this movie for the first time at Christmas (I was always under the impression that it was a Christmas movie because of that Favorite Things song). I thought it was great, even though I don't really like musicals. It's funny that I knew almost every song in the movie, I just didn't know where they'd originated from. I don't know how I missed seeing it all these years, especially since I love Mary Poppins.

The Sound of Music has always been at the top of my favorite movies list, and as I have reflected on it, I realize that it was probably one of the first movies I had seen in a theater as a kid. When it came out in the early 60's, there just weren't many theaters where we lived, and I believe that if we had gone to the movies, it would have been to the drive-in which was cheap and easy for a family of six. So I am sure that is part of why it was always a favorite. But it is a truly great movie also....great actors, music, story and setting, not to mention those lovely costumes, especially the ones made from curtains.

I have two great memories surrounding the movie. The first happened in the late 80's when a friend I'd met while teaching in Honduras came to visit me in California. We watched the movie together, she for the first time. She loved it and said, "Let's watch it again!" as soon as it was over. The other memory is of a high school theater production of it that starred many of my friends. During the kid's gazebo scene, the cardboard gazebo fell down, but those kids just kept right on singing and dancing.