Menu

Anyone else with Easter basket issues?

My son wanted a specific game for his DS. I finally found it yesterday at Big Lots. There you take them the empty box, they find the game in a drawer, and then scan it at the registure. I wasn't watching closely because I was unloading the shopping cart. So this morning (as I am putting together the Easter baskets) I discover that the game I brought home is not the one I wanted to buy. It isn't even close. :001_huh::glare: And it is one I know he wouldn't be interested in at all. Of course the baskets will found this morning and Big Lots is closed so we can't even exchange it until tomorrow. Fortunately there is another Wii game in his basket so he at least gets a game, but I am quite irritated. The games were to be the bulk of his basket. Dh has put cash in the value of the game in an egg and added that to the basket, but that seems to be a let down to me. :glare:

I am sorry that happened! How disappointing.

Of course, when you said there is a Wii game AND money for the DS game in the basket, I realized you must go all out for Easter. LOL My kids get a basket from the store (the put together ones) and they have what I would call "little stuffies" in them. I can't imagine spending more than $20 per kiddo.

Well, we really don't go all out. The games make it look rich, but they aren't. The Wii game cost $10 on sale and the DS game was $13. In addition to that he has a chocolate rabbit, and a $1 bucket with a $1 trowel for his dirt digging, and 1 package of Pixie sticks that were also $1. My dd3 has a Barbie I got on sale after Christmas for $2, a $1 watercolor paint set, a bucket and trowel like her brother, and a chocolate rabbit. :)

I'm sorry Dobela! I know what you mean about the money not quite being the same. But, he may LOVE finding the money in his basket. At our Easter Egg hunt, the kids were searching out the eggs with money in it over the candy! I bet he'll understand.

And, we did more this year than we've done in the past for Easter baskets. One of our sons needed a new bat and he got that in his basket. I would never have spent that much on something he didn't already need!! The other kids just got new Super Soakers. Meg got a new outfit for her Bitty Baby and some Play Doh.

We keep it simple here too. I do put together my own basket, but it doesn't have to be expensive to be personalized.

My mom used to personalize my baskets as a kid too. I loved it. When I first started doing baskets for my kids, I always made them myself. Then, I realized my boys just didn't care. Maybe it is a girl thing! LOL I figured that if my kids aren't even going to care, I will make it easy and buy something pre-made. :( Oh how i would love to have a child that appreciated the hand-made baskets.

My mom used to personalize my baskets as a kid too. I loved it. When I first started doing baskets for my kids, I always made them myself. Then, I realized my boys just didn't care. Maybe it is a girl thing! LOL I figured that if my kids aren't even going to care, I will make it easy and buy something pre-made. :( Oh how i would love to have a child that appreciated the hand-made baskets.

LOL I have always made mine and they vary each year according to interests and such as well. However, my ds still talks adoringly about the 2 years my mom had 'store bought' baskets and how cool they were. :tongue_smilie: Fortunately this year my parents are out of town and I don't have to compete with WalMart. :D

Due to circumstances this year, we took the kids with us and let them pick out their Easter presents. Ds14 didn't make up his mind what he wanted til Sat. so when I stopped by the game store that was on may way running errands, they didn't have it. So he has to wait til tomorrow too. Plus, he decided he's too old to color eggs:001_huh:

Wasn't really an "issue" as much as I think a disappointment in my own mind :tongue_smilie:. After Christmas, DS7's b-day in Feb, DS4's b-day in March, and DS11 just being at that age where he's in between kid/teenage things for "stuff"...I just had NO stellar ideas of what to put in their baskets this year. We usually do a toy and/or an activity item (ie fishing poles, kites, etc)...something we can go DO after all of the hub-bub.

But my mind was blank, and I just did not want to spend more $$$ on toys to add to the pile. If I bought the things that DS11 really needed, ie new bat bag ($60) or batting helmet ($35), then I would feel compelled to make sure the other boys received equal gifts.....and I just was not into spending the $$$ on these things this year...ugh.

So it was an outfit, a movie and a Gamestop gift card, and candy/goodies for each.....kind of "blah", I think. After they emptied the baskets, gorged on candy, then it was just kind of "umm, what do we do now?!?"....so they are watching a movie now while I am getting ready for us to leave for our lunch plans.

Well, at least, since we are going to the beach after lunch, they can use their fishing poles and kites they received in past Easter baskets:lol:.

I tell myself why do I even make a big deal in my mind about it...Easter is so not supposed to be about the basket anyway...but somehow, in my mind, I have built it that way, that their baskets must be this HUGE extravagnza...craziness.

My son wanted a specific game for his DS. I finally found it yesterday at Big Lots. There you take them the empty box, they find the game in a drawer, and then scan it at the registure. I wasn't watching closely because I was unloading the shopping cart. So this morning (as I am putting together the Easter baskets) I discover that the game I brought home is not the one I wanted to buy. It isn't even close. :001_huh::glare: And it is one I know he wouldn't be interested in at all. Of course the baskets will found this morning and Big Lots is closed so we can't even exchange it until tomorrow. Fortunately there is another Wii game in his basket so he at least gets a game, but I am quite irritated. The games were to be the bulk of his basket. Dh has put cash in the value of the game in an egg and added that to the basket, but that seems to be a let down to me. :glare:

LOL! OT: We happened to be at Big Lots yesterday as well, looking for Easter basket stuff. We also got our ds a game for his DS.

I am sure your son will handle it well.

LOL I have always made mine and they vary each year according to interests and such as well. However, my ds still talks adoringly about the 2 years my mom had 'store bought' baskets and how cool they were. :tongue_smilie: Fortunately this year my parents are out of town and I don't have to compete with WalMart. :D

I much prefer the idea of homemade baskets. I HATE store bought, full of junk and totally ugly. But, kids think they are so cool.

Well, we really don't go all out. The games make it look rich, but they aren't. The Wii game cost $10 on sale and the DS game was $13. In addition to that he has a chocolate rabbit, and a $1 bucket with a $1 trowel for his dirt digging, and 1 package of Pixie sticks that were also $1. My dd3 has a Barbie I got on sale after Christmas for $2, a $1 watercolor paint set, a bucket and trowel like her brother, and a chocolate rabbit. :)

Even at those sale prices it still looks rich to me lol My kids got all stuff from the $ store. Each got a chocolate bunny, a few marshmallow cadies (like peeps but ind. wrapped), a couple other chocolate eggs(like oh henry), and then 1-2 small items. Ds11 got wood carving tools(a set of 8 from the $ store), and oliver twist, dd10 got a pocket knife(also from the $ store) and the railway children. Ds6 got an animals of the forest book and a flocked colouring poster, and dd2 got a board book, pink hair elastics and a colouring set. Nothing as fancy as wii and ds games. I spent an equal amt on each child, (about $7.50). I could not imagine putting video games etc into the baskets.

The only "issue" that came up was ds11 commented that it was less chocolate than other years. I promptly let him know if he was unhappy I was more than happy to eat the chocolate myself. That was enough to have him back pedalling and instead commenting how much he loved his basket. I bought less because ds gets violent with too much sugar and I know that the grandparents, and both sets of aunts/uncles will be bringing stuff for them tonight so they certainly did not need tons from me.

Plus, he decided he's too old to color eggs:001_huh:

My 14 y.o. too. She went shopping with me last night to choose candy for her little brothers, though. The checker (young man, mid-twenties) and I were reminiscing about 13-15 being "too old" for hunting eggs and how it was fun and kind of cool to hunt eggs again around 16 or so.

My dad used to make a special egg hunt for my sis and I when we were teens. Those eggs were HARD to find!

Cat

My easter basket problem was dh.:glare: We always have the kids leave their empty baskets out for the Easter Bunny to fill. At bedtime last night, dh says "dd, go get your extra basket - maybe the Easter Bunny will bring me something too." What?!?!?! I barely had money to fill the kid's baskets. Now the kids expect Daddy to get candy too.

I solved the problem by writing a note to put in the basket. It said "Silly Daddy! Easter baskets are for kids!" :D

I always buy things in advance ~ and then forget where they are. I spent most of Saturday looking all over for the little basket-fillers I'd hidden so the kids wouldn't find them. Oh, and every year when we count up the plastic eggs after the kids hunt them, there's always 1 or 2 missing that neither DH nor I can remember where we his them. Sometimes we find them months later!

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

No issues, no. This year was not at all costly. Last year, I knew one of them wanted a certain Gameboy game, and we put it in the basket...I know it was more than $10, that's for sure. This year, the most costly items were the 3.99 hemp necklacse I bought in FL two days ago for each of them. My teen son esp loved his. He's wearing it now. It's a fun little tradition we like, and I can't recall any 'issues' in the past....maybe too many yucky jellybeans perhaps. lol

ETA: & PS. I take back the hemp necklaces being the most costly. We put a family DVD in the basket. My dd wanted The Princess and the Frog. Such a simple request by a 17 yr old that I was happy to grant. They have watched it twice today while dha dn I cook in peace. lol (We are having a late afternoon gathering here with my sister's family and our father ).

Edited by LibraryLover

I bought the kids nice baskets when they were little and we use those every year. DH and I choose little things to stick in them. This year DD's candy and stuff was all lime green and DS's was blue. Nothing too expensive was included.

The only problem I have ever had with Easter baskets was the year we spent Easter with my SIL. She told us she would color eggs and hide them and have some stuff to put in the baskets. On Easter morning we walked into the dining room to discover she had purchased super expensive, custom made baskets for her children (ages 13 & 9) and our little ones (who were 6 & 2) had nothing. Then for the egg hunt there were two distinct levels of hidden eggs. SIL made sure her kids had the eggs that were sitting on fences, chairs, etc and my kids had the ones on the ground. At first I thought that was nice, then she told me it was because the lawn chemical company had sprayed the day before and she didn't want her kids to eat the stuff that was on the ground.

Needless to say I was angry but, in my passive-aggressive manner, I never said anything to her. We just threw away all of the eggs and never went back to her house for Easter.

Then for the egg hunt there were two distinct levels of hidden eggs. SIL made sure her kids had the eggs that were sitting on fences, chairs, etc and my kids had the ones on the ground. At first I thought that was nice, then she told me it was because the lawn chemical company had sprayed the day before and she didn't want her kids to eat the stuff that was on the ground.

:blink::scared::cursing: OMGosh. That's just horrible. I would have been fuming!!