Menu

All Right - Give Me Your Thoughts on a Rottweiler Mix Dog, Please

My parents rescued a dog and a cat from a situation of abandonment. The owners had "personal" issues one is incarcerated and the other is hospitalized (a horrible story...). My dad went over to their house to see if anyone was feeding the animals and found these two abandoned and starving. So, they brought them home. The dog is about 5 months old, part lab...and they are guessing the other parts are Rottweiler and possibly Husky, just based on his physique. The pup gets along well with my parents' pup (a yellow lab about the same age) and the cat. He is affectionate and sweet. They are debating about keeping the dog themselves, but would certainly be open to placing it in a good home.

In my own home, I have a cat, a 1 year old dog (lab/some-kind-of-hound mix), 2 kids and 3 disabled people to consider before bringing another animal into my home. My gut reaction is to say "We'll take him!!", but I need to be careful with the vulnerable people in my household. I am one of those who have heard foul things about rottweilers, and I *know* a lot of it is owner oriented, however, I'm a Really Nice Lady sort of dog owner, rather than a Big Enforcer.

On the one hand, Rosie (our pooch) would love a friend - she gets along really well with other dogs. On the other hand, I can't opt for a "questionable" breed, and by that I mean one that has assertive or protective tendencies. Would proper training, combined with the mixture of this dog be enough? I'm feeling torn.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice? We are going to my parents' for Easter and he'll be there.

Don't know about mixed breeds but my aunt and uncle have had 2 rottweilers, Evie had hip dysplasia (she died) but when she was alive my uncle had a stroke, with Daisy he has had 2 more strokes and now is diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and both dogs have been really good with him. They took them to the basic obedience classes at PetSmart and after that just read Rottweilers for Dummies for further training specific for the breed.

I adopted a 3 year old German Shepherd from a really awful shelter in New York City. The dog had been roaming the streets when the police picked him up.

He was the sweetest most gentle (yet handsome and big and strong looking) dog.

My daughter was 3 years old when we adopted him. He was a gentle giant.

Never for a moment did I worry about him and my daughter.

He was a faithful and loyal companion.

This is JUST my personal experience-- obviously YMMV. We adopted a rottie/black lab mix pup from a homeless shelter where I used to see patients. I knew the mother, Isabelle, who was purebred rottie and she was a doll. Very intimidating looking but extremely even tempered and well behaved. When she had puppies, they all looked black lab. There was one left that they couldn't place and we wound up taking him. He was one of the best dogs we ever had; just like his mama. He was a beast (in terms of size-- he weighed more than I did!) but was easily trained and well-mannered. He was fine with our kids, their friends, our cats, other dogs. The size was really the only issue in terms of toddlers ocassionally getting knocked over. :D

We have a mutt that's definitely got rottie in her. And beagle. Which is a painful combination as she's got the flighty, take-off-after-anything beagle trait but with a rottie's physical power which means I'm bouncing along after her on the other end of the leash. :)

Rotties are great dogs for the right owners. They are loving and loyal, big affectionate teddy bears. BUT they're also stubborn. They need an owner who is definitely in charge and will be consistent.

They have a bad reputation around biting because they aren't like other dogs in terms of typical warnings. People won't notice anything wrong before they get a bite from a rottie because a rottie's warning signs are a little different - posture and stance rather then growls for instance. But they bite and release. They don't hold on and they generally aren't dogs that attack unprovoked.

I recently got to know my cousin's purebred rottie and I fell head-over-heels in love as did everyone who got to know her. She was affectionate and gentle. Even when faced with a strange dog who was overly protective of her owner and giving the rottie every sign of aggression she could muster the rottie still stayed calm, relaxed and gentle with those around her. Of course, my cousin is a perfect rottie owner, much more consistent and in control then I am with our rottie mix.

In summary, rotties are amazing dogs. One of my favourite breeds. They have the potential of being incredible companions. But all depends on the owner's temperment and commitment to being a good dog owner.

My old dog is half Rottie/half lab. I got him at just over 1 year old from an abusive family. He was quite traumatized and I had to work hard to rehabilitate him. However, he's been a great dog - loyal and protective. He has always needed a firm hand though. He is clearly MY dog and believes that he's second in command over the rest of the pack, including dh. He's never been anything but gentle with the kids but appears to be very aggressive with strangers whom he believes threaten either the kids or me. He's never bitten but certainly has had the look of a dog that would consider biting. However, these were in situations when I felt threatened.

He's now 14 1/2 and in the last months of his life which will be just heartbreaking for me.

Both my mutts are part Rottweiler (one Lab x and one GSD x with some Husky, maybe).

My dogs are mushes and wonderful with my kids (though they bark and pee on strangers :tongue_smilie:).

That said... we got them at 8 and 12 weeks. I was only comfortable bringing large breed rescue dogs in to our home with small children (one with ASD and 2 toddlers) if the dogs were raised by us from puppyhood.

At 5 months, he really is a baby, but he's also been raised by some questionable people so far. If you're parents are able to keep him for now, I'd take some time to get to know him better before making a decision.

For me, it's a question of his history, not his (mixed) breed.

I would not do it. The problem is, there are wonderful Rotts and there are Rott lines that are dominant and aggressive. It doesn't have anything to do with "how you raise them". Of course how you raise them can aggrevate or mitigate the aggresion that is there, but a dog can be genetically aggresive or dominant or how ever you want to say it. The point is, you have no idea what the genetics of the Rott part of this dog are. Pure German lines can be very dominant and require a lot of knowledge to handle.

Years ago we adopted a Rott mix of unknown parentage. He was neutered at age 6 mos and raised with training and love in our home. He started challenging and biting us at age 9 mos. It was him, not us. It was his genetics. Very sad, but after working with a trainer and realizing what we were dealing with, we had him put down. My kids bawled.

Believe it or not, this same thing happened to us again 15 years later when we adopted a little lab mix. We had no idea he was mixed with Chow. He was only 6 weeks old when we got him and looked exactly like a lab, but he was a very dark red....chow color. The thing is, he didn't have the thick ears or the curled over tail or anything. We didn't find out he was part Chow till we took him to the vet and by then, we were in love with him. We raised him in our home, took him to obedience classes and even showed him at the County fair in Rally. Had him neutered at age 6 mos. Again, at age 9 months, he turned aggresive. This time, it was not towards us, but to EVERYONE who came to our home. Again, after working with our vet and trainer, we decided to have him put down. Again, we were all heartbroken.

We have, over the years, adopted several mutts. A wonderful bassett mix and a little chihuahua mix and a lab/newfie mix among them. They have all been wonderful dogs. But never again anything german shep, rott, chow, pitt or doberman. We just won't take the chance. I certainly know others have had vastly different experiences. This has been ours.

He's now 14 1/2 and in the last months of his life which will be just heartbreaking for me.

I'm so sorry - that's such a difficult thing to deal with. We lost our Golden a year ago and it was the most gut-wrenching thing I've ever had to endure (and that's saying a lot).

Thank you for sharing what a good companion he is. It is helpful to my decision.

:grouphug:

For me, it's a question of his history, not his (mixed) breed.

Good point. I don't know his history, really. My parents told me they knew his owners, but that they had a "drinking problem" (which explains their current situation). The pup was their two little girls' dog, and I think the girls are 6 and 7 years old, and as far as I know, did very well with them.

Years ago we adopted a Rott mix of unknown parentage. He was neutered at age 6 mos and raised with training and love in our home. He started challenging and biting us at age 9 mos. It was him, not us. It was his genetics. Very sad, but after working with a trainer and realizing what we were dealing with, we had him put down. My kids bawled.

This is exactly what I want to avoid. I know me, and I would try desperately to place the dog with a behaviorist or someone who knew what they would be doing...but I would keep it until I could do that, and goodness knows how long that would take with a problem dog. The trouble is, I don't have the luxury of doing so. Not really. And I don't want to be faced with having to make a decision like that.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Sigh.

What to do?

I've known of several rotties (purebred) and they were all extremely sweet dogs. They look intimidating and they're powerful animals, but in many ways they're just giant teddy-bears. It's not a breed I would have an issue bringing into my home.

I'd be a little concerned about the incarcerated owner. Is he on board with this? Is he going to come looking for his dog when he gets out of prison?

My father knows him - he's worked for my dad. My father is having someone get into contact with him, though, before he gives his pets away. This man, however, may be up for manslaughter charges (against his wife, who is on life support but it's not looking good for her) and not really giving a rip about his dog. It's a REALLY bad situation.

My Rottie mix (Australian Shepherd cross) was the best dog I've ever had in my life. He was so sweet and gentle that my daughter once took food out of his mouth and he didn't protest (although once I saw that I never let her around him again when he was eating). He was basically a big lap dog and we only had the problem of him being big and eager, so that like another poster said he occasionally would knock down toddlers -- not because of jumping up on them, but because he ran into them instead of around them. He lived to be fifteen; he's been gone nearly two years now and I still miss him dearly despite having two younger dogs around again.

I would not do it. The problem is, there are wonderful Rotts and there are Rott lines that are dominant and aggressive. It doesn't have anything to do with "how you raise them". Of course how you raise them can aggrevate or mitigate the aggresion that is there, but a dog can be genetically aggresive or dominant or how ever you want to say it. The point is, you have no idea what the genetics of the Rott part of this dog are. Pure German lines can be very dominant and require a lot of knowledge to handle.

Years ago we adopted a Rott mix of unknown parentage. He was neutered at age 6 mos and raised with training and love in our home. He started challenging and biting us at age 9 mos. It was him, not us. It was his genetics. Very sad, but after working with a trainer and realizing what we were dealing with, we had him put down.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. I hesitated to post, because I know many people feel that Rotties get a bad rap, but I've known 2 families who had this same experience. In both cases the owners swore that their Rotts were total sweethearts, very loyal and loving, wouldn't hurt a fly, etc. Friend #1, a single woman who was a very experienced dog owner/trainer, ended up with horrible scars all over her forearms from trying to protect her face when her Rott turned on her for no reason and attacked her. The 2nd dog attacked the family's 3 yo daughter, who ended up hospitalized with bites on her head, as well as pretty much everywhere on her body. Both dogs were put down.

I have no doubt that some Rotts really are wonderful, safe, loyal, loving dogs, but the consequences of owning one of the few who turn out not to be safe are so harrowing that I would just not consider it a risk worth taking. And the fact that each of these owners was absolutely certain that their Rott was one of the wonderful, safe dogs ~ right up until the point that it tried to kill someone ~ makes me unwilling to take anyone else's word for the "safety" of any particular animal.

Jackie

Sadly, I have to agree with this. I hesitated to post, because I know many people feel that Rotties get a bad rap, but I've known 2 families who had this same experience. In both cases the owners swore that their Rotts were total sweethearts, very loyal and loving, wouldn't hurt a fly, etc. Friend #1, a single woman who was a very experienced dog owner/trainer, ended up with horrible scars all over her forearms from trying to protect her face when her Rott turned on her for no reason and attacked her. The 2nd dog attacked the family's 3 yo daughter, who ended up hospitalized with bites on her head, as well as pretty much everywhere on her body. Both dogs were put down.

I have no doubt that some Rotts really are wonderful, safe, loyal, loving dogs, but the consequences of owning one of the few who turn out not to be safe are so harrowing that I would just not consider it a risk worth taking. And the fact that each of these owners was absolutely certain that their Rott was one of the wonderful, safe dogs ~ right up until the point that it tried to kill someone ~ makes me unwilling to take anyone else's word for the "safety" of any particular animal.

Jackie

I'm glad you didn't choose not to post :).

Our residents naturally give off a different kind of vibe to dogs. Our current dog, while I really don't feel she is aggressive and she has never shown any physical agressive tendancies (she is rather submissive and will back away), has a sensitivity to a couple of our residents. She won't go too near, but will also not attack or show a desire to do so, even though her trepidation and anxiety is obvious. All the training we have done with her has not altered her instinctual stance.

It's tough, because we had a Golden Retriever before this :lol:.

This is something I seriously have to consider before I admit another animal into our home.

Thanks,

This is JUST my personal experience-- obviously YMMV. We adopted a rottie/black lab mix pup from a homeless shelter where I used to see patients. I knew the mother, Isabelle, who was purebred rottie and she was a doll. Very intimidating looking but extremely even tempered and well behaved. When she had puppies, they all looked black lab. There was one left that they couldn't place and we wound up taking him. He was one of the best dogs we ever had; just like his mama. He was a beast (in terms of size-- he weighed more than I did!) but was easily trained and well-mannered. He was fine with our kids, their friends, our cats, other dogs. The size was really the only issue in terms of toddlers ocassionally getting knocked over. :D

I'm not a dog person. In fact, little dogs remind me of hairy aggressive rodents. But growing up we had a black lab/rottie mix and oh how I loved him. We had 2 little dogs, him, a cat, and a bird. He was the least aggressive of all of them.

I could be said of any rescued animal that there may be some aggressions. I was bitten by a little yappy thing walking home from school one day. Can you tell I don't like little dogs? Of course, this is all anecdotal.

Ok I have not read any other posts (I like to reply first so I dont use anybody elses ideas :)) My inlaws had a rot. It was the best dog ever. Now alot does have to do with how its raised. I would be careful if you are not 100% sure how they treated this dog! Certainly dont write the dog off! Is there anybody with less vulnerable people who can take it until its temperment is determined? Or if you really want to help is there a dog trainer you can take him to for some behavior tests?

Ok my advice, take it slowly, but do not totally write him/her off :001_smile:

I'd hesitate but not automatically rule it out.

We have places around here that will take your new dog for a month, do a residential training, and have you come in the last week to train with the dog. Then they follow up with you. It's expensive, but might that be an option for you?

I guess the problems most people are talking about on this thread are sudden, unprovoked incidents from "sweet" dogs. Not sure what to do, frankly.

Of course, Carl is a Rottie...:D

My sister has owned two wonderful, sweet Rotties. They both had the crazy urge to steal shovels and rakes, but other than that they were perfect pets. That being said, I wouldn't bring one into my home. The dogs are just too large and powerful. Most likely nothing would ever happen, but what if it did? That is just not a risk I'd be willing to take.

I want to warn you of insurance concerns. When someone mentioned this problem last month, I called my insurance (USAA) and asked what dogs cause them not to insure a home? They answered Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherd, Akita, and one other- I think Alaskan but maybe Siberian. Anyway, that is my insurance company's list- yours is likely to be different but I would check. You don't want to risk bankruptcy because of dog misbehavior.

Another sign that this may not be the dog for you is you said you are the nice dog lady, not the dog enforcer. Powerful, dominant breeds need dog enforcer types while mild mannered dogs like Labs can be a good match for not so dominant people.

I want to warn you of insurance concerns. When someone mentioned this problem last month, I called my insurance (USAA) and asked what dogs cause them not to insure a home? They answered Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherd, Akita, and one other- I think Alaskan but maybe Siberian. Anyway, that is my insurance company's list- yours is likely to be different but I would check. You don't want to risk bankruptcy because of dog misbehavior.

Wow! I had absolutely no idea. I will definitely check on this. Thanks!

We actually don't know as he was rescued and is definitely not a pure anything. He looks most like pictures of rott/german shepherd mixes that I've seen.

Kody is so sweet! When we got him he was 6 months old. My youngest was only used to our old, sweet, do nothing dog at the time. DS would get in the dog's face all the time. I was very nervous - the whole unknown dog thing. But Kody never dd anything! He never bites, never even growls. The kittens are all over his tail when it's wagging and he doesn't do anything to them. I have called him off the kittens but I really think all he does is mouth them.

Laura, for what it's worth, we adopted a Rottweiler/Lab Mix from the shelter 16 years ago (Benny died 2 years ago) and he was an outstanding, wonderful, gentle dog who could not harm a fly.

It really depends on the individual animal, just like people.

I would observe him. The younger the dog, the better the chances that you have good influence and training will bear results even though I had a lab mix before the Rottie mix, he was already 2 yo when we got him and he was a gem, guarding our newborn baby with his life. It all depends. I would not judge on breed alone.

Laura, we have never owned a Rottie, but we have had them as neighbors. The aggressive (and, yes, deadly) behavior we witnessed and experienced from these otherwise sweet and loving animals was not toward humans nor other animals they considered "their own". The aggressive instinct came out when they encountered animals outside of that circle . I witnessed more than one neighborhood pet maimed or killed by these powerful dogs (including our own cat), and I don't want to live near one again. Nor would I want to be responsible for owning one.

Edited by Janet in WA

My friend has had Dobies, Rotties and German Shepards. All of them wonderful, sweet dogs. I love these breeds and when we adopt another dog, it will be either a Dobie or Rottweiler.

However...yesterday we got pictures from a friend who has two Australian Shepards . Her male was attacked by two neighboring Rottweilers. These dogs had to jump 3 fences and travel over pastures to get to her dog. He was being torn apart when they got to him. Her daughter sprayed mace on the dogs to get her dog away from them. He is in pretty bad shape.

You are going to hear both kinds of stories with this breed. Rottweilers are a dog used for protection for a reason - its in their blood. Some are well behaved and some are not. It may well be a roll of the dice. They are stubborn and will you be able to be the alpha dog?

I am not a wimp - I have a Weimaraner who also needs a good alpha leader (not because of aggression, just because they are also a stubborn breed) and even though he follows me everywhere and never lets me out of his sight (I must be his queen), if he is intent on running into the woods, no amount of commanding from yours truly seems to work most times. So I wonder, if I can't MAKE this guy who loves me obey me all the time, should I even consider these other breeds ? Are you good with training and being top dog?

And on the upside...the Rottie side of this dog is halved.....

Dooley - you need Really Reliable Recall

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=440

I borrowed a copy from a local library, made copious notes & am starting now. I've heard from tons of people that this method works - the instructor used it on her afghan hounds which are extremely independent & bred to hunt far away from mounted riders. I figure if she can get her afghans to return, I can get a bird crazy setter to do it :-)

OP - rotties can be absolutely wonderful. Go by individual temperament, when in doubt get a really experienced dog trainer to come out & assess the dog with you. I think people generalize too much about the breeds and forget to consider the huge variations in temperament & personality within a breed. Temperament testing is a lot of art & a bit of science.

You don't need to be a tough yelling stern person to own rotts or any other breed of dog. What you need to be is CONSISTENT. You can be sweet as pie but you must be consistent. Set your rules and stick to them. Train, exercise, train, exercise and socialize him like crazy.

A dog this age is a lot of work & will be a large responsibility. You will need to socialize him extensively - to other dogs (lots of other dogs of all different breeds and temperaments) and to other people (lots of other people, people doing strange things etc).

Most cases of bad behaviour towards the end of the first year are a result of lack of socialization, lack of exercise, lack of leadership and lack of training - all meeting the annoying dog teenage years head-on.

As I've posted before, there's an entire dog training curriculum free online (from a woman who used to breed and train and judge Giant Schnauzers - she knows big dogs LOL )

Leadership http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/Writing/LTD.html

And the actual curriculum:

http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/%20Dog1/levels.html

We have a rottweiler mix (more rotty than mix, but there's obviously something else in there, too).

My husband brought her home one day without discussing it with me first, and I was quite leery of the Rottweiler reputation (at the time, my youngest was barely 2).

My worries were totally unfounded. She's the sweetest thing ever. She's protective, but has never shown the slightest inappropriate aggression (Example: I was out walking her at about 4 months. A large Australian shepherd, about three times her size at the time, broke out of it's yard and came to see us. Our dog, Tori, was friendly and inquisitive towards him... while very carefully keeping her body between mine and the other dog at all times.). She's friendly with kids, cats (including our small kitten), and other dogs. Household visitors are not a problem.

However... we know that she was raised in a good environment from a very young age. She and her female littermates were dumped at a vet's office at about 4 weeks old, and she was raised by a Rottweiler-experienced family after that until we adopted her at about ten weeks. She's been raised around cats and kids, and has had a lot of exposure to other people and dogs.

She's also female, and females are more barkey. This is annoying at times, but apparently part of the problem with male rotties is that they're quiet, and the signs that they're upset are very subtle, so people unwittingly push them past their limit, and the attack "with no warning".

So, that's our experience.

First, I want to thank you all so much for sharing your advice and experiences with Rottweilers. Second...

:smilielol5::lol:

I met this little guy today. I don't know WHAT they were all thinking, but all I see when I see this dog is Terrier. But, the people who know the owners claim the rott/lab/husky mix is accurate. I just don't see it at all - do you? Check him out in the pics I linked below. He's super cute, SUPER sweet and totally followed everyone around all day - he didn't want to be left alone. I think my parents kind of like him (who wouldn't?) so, for now, they are going to keep him around. If it turns out that thier dog (a lab pup about the same age) doesn't get along well with him, we'll take him home.

post-4487-1353508345758_thumb.jpg

post-4487-13535083457861_thumb.jpg

post-4487-1353508345758_thumb.jpg

post-4487-13535083457861_thumb.jpg

First, I want to thank you all so much for sharing your advice and experiences with Rottweilers. Second...

I met this little guy today. I don't know WHAT they were all thinking, but all I see when I see this dog is Terrier. But, the people who know the owners claim the rott/lab/husky mix is accurate. I just don't see it at all - do you? Check him out in the pics I linked below. He's super cute, SUPER sweet and totally followed everyone around all day - he didn't want to be left alone. I think my parents kind of like him (who wouldn't?) so, for now, they are going to keep him around. If it turns out that thier dog (a lab pup about the same age) doesn't get along well with him, we'll take him home.

He is super cute!!! That first picture is soooooo sweet! And he definitely doesn't look anything like a Rottie to me.

I happen to love Rotties. My sister has one that weighs 120 lbs. and thinks he is a lap dog. But I also love Pitbulls. :)

You could have told me hound/terrier mix and I would not have second guessed you at all. He is awfully cute.

I guess...maybe...he has short, stocky legs and his eyes are very soft...possibly a rottweiler as a very distant relative...an affair of the grandparent...maybe...

He was fairly possessive of his toy (a bone of some sort). But his bark is more like a quack - it was almost too funny to feel threatened. But, he is just a baby, so the possessive thing can always still be addressed.