Menu

Calling all "Miss Manners" types! How would you respond to this?

I have a friend who sends out announcements of her kids' birthdays every year. She sends the announcements via email to a large distribution list.

The announcements include pictures of the child, and usually announce the child's age and say something like,"happy birthday, Susie! We love you to pieces, honey bunny!" or something similar.

How would you respond to something like this?

If my child was a personal friend, I might consider giving a gift. If it is just a general announcement and the children/parents don't remember your children's birthdays with a gift, then I'd just send an email 'Happy Bday' or internet card and call it good.

If my child was a personal friend, I might consider giving a gift. If it is just a general announcement and the children/parents don't remember your children's birthdays with a gift, then I'd just send an email 'Happy Bday' or internet card and call it good.

Ditto. Or if you are really only acquaintances (which is possible since it is an e-mail distribution list), I would consider myself notified but wouldn't do anything.

I'd either email back saying, "Happy Birthday, ___!" or delete it. I think either response is fine.

I don't personally find it offensive or anything. It's much less annoying than email forwards and unless they're asking for presents, I'd just think they were excited. Not something I'd do myself, lol, but not more than vaguely tacky either.

I have a friend who sends out announcements of her kids' birthdays every year. She sends the announcements via email to a large distribution list.

The announcements include pictures of the child, and usually announce the child's age and say something like,"happy birthday, Susie! We love you to pieces, honey bunny!" or something similar.

I'd send an email back with a Happy Birthday greeting...either just typed out or if you're in the mood there are a lot of free greeting e-card companies online that you can choose the graphics and wording for a card an have it emailed to them.

My library lets me see what they've ordered, and I have a hold on a video called We Live In Public which appears to be about how the web has opened up the minute details of our lives to the public......I certainly feel that way reading many peoples' blogs, like I've peeked into their open window.....and frankly seeing simply an announcement about another family's birthday celebrations seems like a peeking tom. If you were THAT close to the child wouldn't you already KNOW when their birthday is and hopefully have been invited to the party? This sounds like fishing for presents. Kind of like the slew of graduation announcements I'll be getting in the next couple of months for kids that I can't even figure out who they are....probably kids of people we slightly knew at a military base where we were stationed years ago. Some of them I slightly recognize the last name...some I can't even feel an inkling of recognition. And I can't imagine why you'd send a graduation announcement to someone who you haven't seen/spoken to for YEARS. And it can't be a case of "just send it to everyone in the address book" because we move so often (military) that you have to make a request for our latest address.....gee, maybe because we weren't close enough to keep in touch???

Send an e-card to the child and feel that you have more than done your duty.

and frankly seeing simply an announcement about another family's birthday celebrations seems like a peeking tom. If you were THAT close to the child wouldn't you already KNOW when their birthday is and hopefully have been invited to the party? This sounds like fishing for presents.

Really? I don't see it that way at all.

In the first place, no way would I/could I keep track of all the birth dates of every kid I know.

Second, I know many people who I wouldn't be invited to a kids' birthday party, but I would enjoy seeing a picture of their age and statement of how old they are: old friends from college who I don't see regularly anymore, friends whose kids are a different age group than mine and who I wouldn't expect to invite me to their party, etc.

Heck, my cousin sends out photos and updates of her kids and pictures of their dance recitals, Halloween costumes, Sweet Sixteen parties, etc, at LEAST twice a year. I have not SEEN or SPOKEN TO my cousin in exactly TWENTY years, and have obviously never met her children. But I enjoy seeing the pictures and updates. I appreciate the fact that she's trying to make at least some connection -- we are family, even though there is no real relationship of any kind.

Even if that wasn't the person's intent, I'd just assume it was, and not think a thing of it. Was it Martin Luther who said "Put the best construction on it"?

Jenny

I'd tell the birthday child happy birthday next time I saw him/her.

I send an e-card, and that is all that is expect I think. In today's world of facebook and blogs many of us get a chance to celebrate with one another with words quickly. I don't think anyone expects gifts or anything. The child will probably love to get some birthday wishes from people they know, and all of those well wishes can go in the child's scrapbook.

I would probably send a message such as "Hope Susie has a wonderful 6th Birthday."

:iagree: It seems to me that people who do things like that either don't have relatives who care or for some other reason they feel that they have to broadcast their love. They just need to be heard, so I would let them know they were heard and that I care, but I don't see it as a request for a gift.

I think it's interesting that there are these movements to "pass it forward" or "random acts of kindness" but when it's someone in our own circle we'd rather not ;)

Y'all are very sweet, kind folks. Such benevolent responses!

I have to admit that these emails seem really weird to me. I always think, "why is she sending me an email that wishes her child a happy birthday?"

They don't say, "announcing _______'s 6th birthday! We're so happy she's ours!"

They are written as if they're being sent to the children: "Happy birthday, ________! We love love love you!" Or something similar.

It doesn't even say anything to me (or the 100 or so other adult folks on the list), so I'm always baffled as to how to reply.

I guess in this technologically-saturated day and age, this is sort of like a Christmas letter? Recipients should just take it as a cheery, friendly attempt to stay in touch. I can do that. I am, after all, a big fan of Christmas letters--even the photocopied ones. I can just transfer the Christmas letter sentiments to the email birthday 'announcement.';)

I guess in this technologically-saturated day and age, this is sort of like a Christmas letter? Recipients should just take it as a cheery, friendly attempt to stay in touch. I can do that. I am, after all, a big fan of Christmas letters--even the photocopied ones. I can just transfer the Christmas letter sentiments to the email birthday 'announcement.';)

That's how I take them, but I don't have any kind of manipulative bone in my body and so, passive-aggressive stuff often goes over my head. It's entirely possible that *I'm* the one being socially awkward here. :D