Menu

Just curious -- Did anyone not receive a Census Form?

Just curious to know if anyone did not receive a census form. It is my understanding that they were to have been mailed out mid-March and returned by April 1.

I didn't receive one -- just curious if anyone else didn't receive one.

Yvonne

You should have received it by now.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/questions.php

What if I don't receive the form?

If you did not receive a form, call the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance center at 1-866-872-6868. (If you prefer a Spanish-speaking operator, then dial 1-866-928-2010.) The lines will be open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (your local time) seven days a week from February 25, 2010 through July 30, 2010. For the hearing-impaired, TDD 1-866-783-2010 (during the times noted above).

We did not receive one and were able to obtain a form at the local public library. I assume this happened due to zoning . We work where we live and the block is zoned professional/residential one family. We just were likely overlooked as they might assume it is onlt an office rather than a residence as well.

It is my understanding that they were to have been mailed out mid-March and returned by April 1.

That's pretty funny, because they ask specifically how many people are living at the residence ON April 1st. I can't answer that question until April 1st.

We did not receive one and were able to obtain a form at the local public library. I assume this happened due to zoning . We work where we live and the block is zoned professional/residential one family. We just were likely overlooked as they might assume it is onlt an office rather than a residence as well.

Same here. I live in a business area.

They do have certain areas that they will have people knocking door to door and so your area might be one of those and maybe you wont get a form. When my husband was laid off he had applied for a job with them and he found that out during training (since he would be one of the people going door to door.) I dont know how they determine who will be visited and not get a form sent though.

Will they come find you (track you down, like a hunter...lol) if you don't send one in (b/c you didn't get one)?

If it's the government's mistake (if you didn't receive one) can you be held accountable for not filling one out?

Just curious--we did get one, and sent it in.

Also, is there a long form some get and a short form the rest of us get? Or are they all short this year?

Will they come find you (track you down, like a hunter...lol) if you don't send one in (b/c you didn't get one)?

If it's the government's mistake (if you didn't receive one) can you be held accountable for not filling one out?

If you (general you) don't send in a form eta: or you don't fill in the form in its entirety, they will probably send someone to your house. When it comes to people who gripe about government spending, this seems supremely irresponsible to me.

It also seems irresponsible to not send in a census, leave your area underrepresented in Congress and then complain about Congress. I don't think you really have the right to complain about the process if you don't participate.

I'm sure there are some people who fall between the cracks due to zoning issues and such that have already been pointed out.

Also, is there a long form some get and a short form the rest of us get? Or are they all short this year?
This should help explain. :) Edited by Mrs Mungo

You who haven't received a census form, do you have a PO Box? My dh just said that if you do, you won't get it sent to you, they will visit your home.

We received one and sent it in. But what I find weird is on the form we were not allowed to write in our youngest daughter's name who is away at college in another state, but she is a registered voter and gets her ballots sent to our house (Oregon has vote by mail). Who is counting her? and why wouldn't our state, district and county get credit for her as a resident? She goes to a private university in another state but isn't considered a resident there....I don't get it.

But what I find weird is on the form we were not allowed to write in our youngest daughter's name who is away at college in another state, but she is a registered voter and gets her ballots sent to our house (Oregon has vote by mail). Who is counting her? and why wouldn't our state, district and county get credit for her as a resident? She goes to a private university in another state but isn't considered a resident there....I don't get it.

They want college students to be counted where they live most of the time. Otherwise, college towns wouldn't be getting the things they need to support their population as far as roads, etc.

http://2010.census.gov/campus/

If you (general you) don't send in a form eta: or you don't fill in the form in its entirety, they will probably send someone to your house. When it comes to people who gripe about government spending, this seems supremely irresponsible to me.

It also seems irresponsible to not send in a census, leave your area underrepresented in Congress and then complain about Congress. I don't think you really have the right to complain about the process if you don't participate.

I'm sure there are some people who fall between the cracks due to zoning issues and such that have already been pointed out.

This should help explain. :)

I have never received a form or had a visit. We have always had a regular home address, paid our taxes, voted, had a DL, even owned a home and never received a form or had a visit. Now I was military dependent for the first almost 30 years of my life so the military may have so way of providing the info based on home of record but if they do I can tell you that they do it without informing the member and his family. I have been out of the military for almost 20 years now (3 censuses) and still never been counted. I know very few people IRL who have ever been counted and I have been asking. It seems that a lot of people fall through the cracks and not for any obvious reason that I can figure out. It really makes me wonder how accurate previous censuses could possibly have been.

I have never received a form or had a visit. We have always had a regular home address, paid our taxes, voted, had a DL, even owned a home and never received a form or had a visit. Now I was military dependent for the first almost 30 years of my life so the military may have so way of providing the info based on home of record but if they do I can tell you that they do it without informing the member and his family.

The census does count military people. If you are stationed overseas (as we were for the last census), then the installation commander gives numbers to the census bureau. Military families who do not live overseas should receive census forms. If they don't, they can request them from the census bureau or pick one up in the community.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/01/26/33477-2010-census-especially-important-to-military-families/

I have been out of the military for almost 20 years now (3 censuses) and still never been counted. I know very few people IRL who have ever been counted and I have been asking. It seems that a lot of people fall through the cracks and not for any obvious reason that I can figure out.

Rural addresses, PO Boxes, zoning issues, I'm certain there are all sorts of reasons. However, not receiving a census isn't a good reason for not filling one out. There are census fairs in many communities, there is a number to call if you don't receive a census, you can pick the form up locally in most cases, etc.

It really makes me wonder how accurate previous censuses could possibly have been.

It's a good question. Early numbers indicate that 10 states will be losing representatives in Congress and 8 states will be gaining. It behooves everyone to fill out census forms.

The census does count military people. If you are stationed overseas (as we were for the last census), then the installation commander gives numbers to the census bureau. Military families who do not live overseas should receive census forms. If they don't, they can request them from the census bureau or pick one up in the community.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/01/26/33477-2010-census-especially-important-to-military-families/

Rural addresses, PO Boxes, zoning issues, I'm certain there are all sorts of reasons. However, not receiving a census isn't a good reason for not filling one out. There are census fairs in many communities, there is a number to call if you don't receive a census, you can pick the form up locally in most cases, etc.

It's a good question. Early numbers indicate that 10 states will be losing representatives in Congress and 8 states will be gaining. It behooves everyone to fill out census forms.

I guess I'll have to track one down sometime this next week then. Maybe I am invisible to the gov. All three of my brothers have been called to serve jury duty several times, I never have. Maybe there is a note next to my name, "Do not interact with this lady, she is crazy!" :tongue_smilie:

I guess I'll have to track one down sometime this next week then. Maybe I am invisible to the gov. All three of my brothers have been called to serve jury duty several times, I never have. Maybe there is a note next to my name, "Do not interact with this lady, she is crazy!" :tongue_smilie:

I wonder how jurors are chosen in your state? The state in which I vote uses driver's licenses. I was called for jury duty once, after we had moved to California. I marked that I had moved out of state and I haven't been called since.

I wonder how jurors are chosen in your state? The state in which I vote uses driver's licenses. I was called for jury duty once, after we had moved to California. I marked that I had moved out of state and I haven't been called since.

I live in TN and my brothers live in TX. Both stated use DL and voters registrations. I have a DL and I vote, always have. The tax accessor always shows up though. :glare:

You who haven't received a census form, do you have a PO Box? My dh just said that if you do, you won't get it sent to you, they will visit your home.

no PO Box here. across the street neighbors got one and returned it a couple weeks ago. we haven't gotten notices or anything.

DH took the test to become a census taker, and it is against the law to NOT fill one out. I don't know that they'll do anything, but they have the right to prosecute apparently.