Menu

6 more reasons to homeschool

She might be a whiz at math and just not such a great speller?

She might have a learning disability?

Lots of 'mights'...

..and of course that includes the fact that she may just not have been taught properly/paid attention/whatever...

[cancelled/canceled are both correct]

The Ds in migraine & bonfire suggests classic dyslexia/ verbal processing disorder to me. That child may need some Orton- Gillingham or other special ed attention. One of my hsers did the same as a younger child and we didn't understand it at first. (Many people do not). I see this frequently, even among hsers. I truly believe this 'glitch' is more common than autism.

There shouldn't be an automatic assumption that these processing issues are dealt with in the entire hsing community any better than they are dealt with in many schooling communities. In fact, an excellent school can often offer greater resources at no cost than many hsing families of limited means can. This child could still be undiagnosed, or in a poorer school district where her needs are obviously not being met. Her parents might not undertstand what is happening, and she may be thought of as lazy, which is an ongoing problem for these different learners. "You're not trying!" "If you would only buckle down!" etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

Here are the spelling mistakes I read on the Facebook page of a local 8th grade girl:

Mindgrain-migraine

bondfire=bonfire

Phennsulvania=Pennsylvania

haveing=having

Typeo=typo

canceled=cancelled

Really? 8th grade?:confused:

My homeschooled 9th grader makes similar mistakes. It's not because of lack of effort.

All I see is someone who needs to learn to edit - which they might honestly not care about doing just for a quick status update. (You honestly don't see PA spelled out very often. Maybe that's the problem. Living in an abbreviated society?)

We see it here on this board all the time too.

Even in my posts! (Yeah. I know. You're shocked, right?;))

Now, if this were her school paperwork, or a letter, or something other than FB or a off the cuff quick text - that would be entirely different. I would think it lazy ot not bother to edit ones actual work.

But otherwise, truth is that I am not devoting my full energy and time to FB or this board or many other things. 9 times out of 10, these are things I do on my iPhone while nursing the baby, waiting in line somewhere, waiting for the pot to boil or some other moderately idle activity.

I'm often fluctuate between horrified and amused by my typos and spelling when I go back later to read them. My dh's favorite is when I intended to text him to get me some thing to eat on the way home. My fat fingers hit "o" instead of "i" and dh found that message vastly amusing.:lol:

My daughter can't spell and she started college at 15. Such is life.

However, I can tell you that I'm generally appalled at the lack of reading ability of every 10th and 11th grade class I've worked in for history and English. VERY scary that these kids read so poorly at that level. That worries me a great deal more than whether an 8th grader uses the spell check on her browser!

Spelling errors don't scream at me as reasons to homeschool.

I am a very, very good speller, as is my ds. My dh and dd are terrible spellers, and I have put in many hours trying to help dd do better in this area. My dd is 13yo and comfortably reading advanced literature (Bede, Beowulf, Shakespeare, Marlowe, Utopia, Dickens, Chaucer, etc.). She can also write well, as I know both from the literary analysis she has produced for the high school medieval lit course I teach as well as from her Debate instructor (community college instructor). Dd can do many things with excellence, but spelling is not one of them. It's not for lack of effort.

:chillpill:

Here are the spelling mistakes I read on the Facebook page of a local 8th grade girl:

Mindgrain-migraine

bondfire=bonfire

haveing=having

Typeo=typo

canceled=cancelled

Someone could get a bunch of misspellings and "typeo"s off this board also. (Including in my posts.) Not to mention all the dead kittens ;).

Public schools are certainly not an optimal learning environment, but parents and students have to take some (most?) of the responsibility for learning or lack there-of. Lack of learning occurs in a broad range of families regardless of schooling options.

I frequently sigh at my dd's spelling on FB.:001_huh:

Me too! Sigh, cringe, stare drop jawed in horror, all the while knowing that people are probably thinking exactly what the OP said, but pointing at homeschooling as the culprit. When really it's dyslexia and laziness at about 50/50.

Mindgrain-migraine

bondfire=bonfire

haveing=having

Typeo=typo

canceled=cancelled

Homeschooling isn't necessarily the answer. I have some young homeschooler friends on FB who have dreadful spelling!! :tongue_smilie:

I don't think you can blame public school unless you're willing to blame homeschool for the many spelling, grammar, or math mistakes made by homeschooled children. Not every subject is every child's cup of tea. Some children aren't good spellers, even after rigorous study.

Homeschooling isn't necessarily the answer. I have some young homeschooler friends on FB who have dreadful spelling!! :tongue_smilie:

I agree. I see homeschoolers with rotten spelling and grammar who blog and are on FB.

To me, spelling something wrong in a public place is less a sign of being a poor speller and more a sign of not knowing you are a poor speller. Once you know, the dictionary can be your friend! :D