Menu

Pet Peeve of the Day--the word "literally"

Oh my goodness. What did they do at the end of the segment? I'm picturing a Looney Tunes style ending where they pull a gun, and after she's shot, she shakes off the gun powder with her face still looking all pretty and perfect. Am I close?? :D

The other day DS was playing with a bunch of stuffed animals that he and his sister were pretending they were rescuing. He picked one up and said "You are so cute I could eat you up!" And then he quickly reassured it "Not literally, I would never hurt you!" So I guess we could have him contact QVC with the definition:D

You ladies are funny this morning. I had a professor in college who refused to give one student a recommendation for medical school because he misused "literally" in a speech. Oh and he also said "irregardless." I think the combo of the two made the professor literally "blow a fuse."

Guest Cindie2dds
You ladies are funny this morning. I had a professor in college who refused to give one student a recommendation for medical school because he misused "literally" in a speech. Oh and he also said "irregardless." I think the combo of the two made the professor literally "blow a fuse."

Oh, wow. You guys are great this morning! Hearing someone use "irregardless" simulates fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Sadly, MIL uses it constantly. :tongue_smilie:

Guest Cindie2dds
Me, too! SO much cheaper than going to the gym for years to work it off.

:lol:

I'm sorry to hear of your passing. :D

:lol:

Love it!

I literally said irregardless once. I had picked it up as a habit from someone, and I literally said it in my great books class. The professor literally said, "What are you, some sort of nincompoop?" I have literally never said it again. :tongue_smilie:

I was just talking to a friend out her son (my student) correcting another boy for saying, "I could care less." Love that boy! :001_smile:

"I could care less." Love that boy

Oh! That one sends me into orbit! Literally! :D

I just raked dh over the coals about that recently. I think I had PMS. He looked thoughtful a moment and said, "Yeah. I guess you're right. It doesn't make sense."

Edited by Ginevra
added an "s"