Menu

Has anyone else lost their sense of humor???

Lately I have noticed that I am not amused:glare:. I have a short fuse and I don't find my dc's silliness funny (not only in school but in the car, at a friend's house, etc). In the past it was natural for me to use humor to diffuse a situation-my first instinct now is to yell. When I taught PS I had the gift of working with even the most difficult students, and humor had a lot to do with it. I want the old fun me back-where my first impulse is to smile and not frown. I really think that our day would be so much more enjoyable if I could find my funny bone again. Anyone btdt? Suggestions?

TIA!

My solution - let Dad take them for a few hours while I go somewhere very quiet. I went to a restaurant once to get away and almost erupted like a volcano when they seated me next to a loud family! Not really their fault - I was just at a breaking point. So now I go somewhere where I can hide with no people around at all (and I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want anyone else to find my secret quiet spot:D)

Spend a few days doing what makes everyone relaxed and happy; just art, just timelines, just outdoor play.

Today we're doing a Padre Pio movie marathon. Everyone is happy, we're learning a little religion. Mom is relaxed.

Edited by MistyJ

I run a pretty tight ship around here and do a lot of school in the day. But I was in that boat about 2 weeks ago.

We took off for 8 school days (12 days total with 2 weekends in there) and I reorganized the house and the homeschooling supplies.

I let the kids play all day while I did things around the house. We've started back up this week and it's going a lot better. We're all ready for work again.

Lately I have noticed that I am not amused:glare:. I have a short fuse and I don't find my dc's silliness funny (not only in school but in the car, at a friend's house, etc). In the past it was natural for me to use humor to diffuse a situation-my first instinct now is to yell. When I taught PS I had the gift of working with even the most difficult students, and humor had a lot to do with it. I want the old fun me back-where my first impulse is to smile and not frown. I really think that our day would be so much more enjoyable if I could find my funny bone again. Anyone btdt? Suggestions?

TIA!

Take a week off and pretend you're an unschooler. Enjoy it, let the kids lead the way; do lots of reading for fun etc. I pretended we were unschoolers during the summer break, and I really enjoyed it. :D . I wrote down stuff that we did after it was done. I was amazed at how much we actually did. I'll definitely do it again sometime.

How about watching some good comedy movies? Even forget the kids...watch some yourself after the kids are in bed :) There are some seriously funny movies out there, even thought they are downright silly....Zoolander, Meet the Fockers, Monty Python, well, they are some of my favourits. Here is a list of funny movies

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/movie-pages/movie_comedy.html

I have had a rather unproductive start to our school year (we are 6 weeks into our year) due to various things and now when I want to get things back to a tight outine, I am sick. So...time to go with the flow, do what we can, rest on the laurels of years of routine, and make the best of it. Yesterday the kids did the basics, we skipped our together work because I cant read aloud due to coughing spells, and we watched The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise.

If it's any consolation I'm finding that MANY people are going through this right now. I think between the economy and the hard times people are going through, it's just got everyone stressed. The other boards I moderate are the same. Everyone is very touchy.

So, it's not just you.

that said, go do something that you enjoy. Refill your well. Read. Have a glass of wine (MY answer for everything! Ok, chocolate, too), snuggle with your hubby. Go to the library by yourself.

I suffer from PMDD and Prozac really, really helps me not fly off the handle. There are times when another glass of spilled whatever can make me want to grab a gun but the Prozac just keeps me at ease and I clean it up AGAIN and feel very little irritation. I have not been on it with being pregnant/nursing since 2003 but when I was on it I remember the feeling of calm and it was nice!

I've been through this as well, it was hard on everybody in the house.

I think I was so overwhelmed I became mean and a little resentful. My poor husband would gently tell me not to be so sharp with the girls, or that a husband likes a kiss and a hug now and then. Oops.

At that time we were living in a town that is notorious for scary 40/50 yo something women. I though, "I don't want to be like that, oh wait I AM like that". Eventually that behavior makes people not want to be around you, including your kids and spouse. You become the lady that makes a scene at the grocery store because they stopped carrying the kind of olive oil you like. When you leave the store everyone looks at each other, rolls their eyes, someone says "What a b***h", they laugh, and the joke is on you because life is short and precious and you aren't using it wisely. (I don't mean you personally, but in a general way :))

It took me a while to realize life is hard for many if not most people, I can't take it personally. Negativity can start out as a bad habit, then consume you and define you. I had to take responsibility and action. So this is what helped me get out of that funk:

I faked that I thought things were funny, and that I was amused. It helped me get back into the swing of thing. I come from a laughing family, so ultimately I'm comfortable with cracking up over silly things. The more I laughed and joked, the easier and more natural it became again.

I started kissing my husband, winking at him and flirting. I had forgotten how to lighten up, and have some sassy fun!

I realized I'm a strict teacher, and a cuddly mommy. With practice I could wear both hats appropriately.

I try to always be grateful. Kind of like the game Pollyanna played. It was a little nauseating at first because I'm a BIG complainer. But it really paid off, since I made those changes we've been hit with some biggies (health, etc.) and the truth is there is still a lot to be grateful for.

Last but not least I learned how to get out and have some fun. I don't want to be a martyr mom! I needed to get away from my family and cut loose. I'm sure that means something different for everyone. I don't drink, or go to clubs, or do "cougar night" with a bunch of crazy moms. I worked at it and compiled a great little list of what I do when I'm free. I let little things give me big relief, like meeting a friend at the grocery store late at night to grocery shop together (sounds lame, but is actually fun if you let it be), I went to the ballet with a girlfriend last week...

One last thing, I taught my family how to give me space when I go to my room with a chick flick and a batch of cookies.

There's nothing funny about being overworked, and under appreciated. I think being a parent is crazy hard even when it's beautiful and easy. It's so much responsibility, I mean gosh if you don't laugh enough, you could mess your kids up. Ugh!!

Can you tell yourself it's a phase? That your making a plan to work on it? That way you can purge a wee bit more and know that brighter days are coming?

I'm from a big family that laughs at parties and funerals, and I like that about us. Laughter is worth fighting for, don't let the crabbies win! :001_smile:

Holy smokes I just previewed my reply, sorry it's sooo long :tongue_smilie:

Edited by helena

I've been through this as well, it was hard on everybody in the house.

I think I was so overwhelmed I became mean and a little resentful. My poor husband would gently tell me not to be so sharp with the girls, or that a husband likes a kiss and a hug now and then. Oops.

At that time we were living in a town that is notorious for scary 40/50 yo something women. I though, "I don't want to be like that, oh wait I AM like that". Eventually that behavior makes people not want to be around you, including your kids and spouse. You become the lady that makes a scene at the grocery store because they stopped carrying the kind of olive oil you like. When you leave the store everyone looks at each other, rolls their eye, some says "What a b***h", they laugh, and the joke is on you because life is short and precious and you aren't using it wisely. (I don't mean you personally, but in a general way :))

It took me a while to realize life is hard for many if not most people, I can't take it personally. Negativity can start out as a bad habit, then consume you and define you. I had to take responsibility and action. So this is what helped me get out of that funk:

I faked that I thought things were funny, and that I was amused. It helped me get back into the swing of thing. I come from a laughing family, so ultimately I'm comfortable with cracking up over silly things. The more I laughed and joked, the easier and more natural it became again.

I started kissing my husband, winking at him and flirting. I had forgotten how to lighten up, and have some sassy fun!

I realized I'm a strict teacher, and a cuddly mommy. With practice I could wear both hats appropriately.

I try to always be grateful. Kind of like the game Pollyanna played. It was a little nauseating at first because I'm a BIG complainer. But it really paid off, since I made those changes we've been hit with some biggies (health, etc.) and the truth is there is still a lot to be grateful for.

Last but not least I learned how to get out and have some fun. I don't want to be a martyr mom! I needed to get away from my family and cut loose. I'm sure that means something different for everyone. I don't drink, or go to clubs, or do "cougar night" with a bunch of crazy moms. I worked at it and compiled a great little list of what I do when I'm free. I let little things give me big relief, like meeting a friend at the grocery store late at night to grocery shop together (sounds lame, but is actually fun if you let it be), I went to the ballet with a girlfriend last week...

One last thing, I taught my family how to give me space when I go to my room with a chick flick and a batch of cookies.

There's nothing funny about being overworked, and under appreciated. I think being a parent is crazy hard even when it's beautiful and easy. It's so much responsibility, I mean gosh if you don't laugh enough, you could mess your kids up. Ugh!!

Can you tell yourself it's a phase? That your making a plan to work on it? That way you can purge a wee bit more and know that brighter days are coming?

I'm from a big family that laughs at parties and funerals, and I like that about us. Laughter is worth fighting for, don't let the crabbies win! :001_smile:

Holy smokes I just previewed my reply, sorry it's sooo long :tongue_smilie:

I love this response; it really resonated with me. Thanks!

I currently have no sense of humor but I do know why:

I'm 35 weeks pregnant, my back aches and I'm tired, not to mention getting more and more uncomfortable.

It's been a long winter, I need some sunlight and fresh air.

My husband works 60 hours a week so I'm not getting much of a break or support.

I'm frustrated because I can't get as much done as I want to and the kids hi-jinks aren't helping with that any.

I do think it's just "that time of year" though. Everyone's been cooped up. The cold and gray skies don't help. The economy isn't the best. I imagine most people will start perking up near the end of the month.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I do think that I am in need of a break (and a lot of chocolate...not a wine drinker:tongue_smilie:). I guess I feel silly about needing a break when I just had a week long vacation in California a month ago...but I have to remind myself that vacation was me and my 4 kids going nonstop for 7 days...no break really.

Do you need more sleep, a break in the afternoon, less outside commitments, or a vacation? Are you in a domestic situation where you do the lion's share of the work?

These situations hurt my humor.

kalanamak- This pretty much sums up my life. The outside commitments aren't too taxing, but pretty much everything else is right on. We (my dh) started a business just over a year ago and his hours are terrible. His only day off is Sunday- so I am a single parent the vast majority of the time. He has always worked a lot of hours, but in the past he at least had 2 days a week off. It is clear to me that I am in a rut. I stay up far too late because it feels like my only "me" time. That cycles into crabby/tired the next day. I know I need to go to bed at a reasonable time, but I am resisting giving up that time. I am so thankful that tomorrow is Saturday and we do not have anything scheduled this weekend. I like the idea of setting the kiddos up with something to do while I hybernate in my bedroom with a funny movie and chocolate.

I do think it is a phase- but it has drifted into all areas of my life. I need to lose 20+ pounds, my house is a mess, I am short with my dh and kids...bleh. Helena thanks for your post. It gives me hope:).

You all have given me a lot of ideas. :grouphug: to all of you who are feeling this way too. I think I will get out my calendar and plan some free time...even if it is just late night grocery shopping with a friend;).

Thanks so much!

I sure do. I think part of it is due to just having a lot of responsibility - kids, homeschooling, too much church stuff going on. I have a very high maintainance family (from an emotional and attention standpoint) and they take a lot out of me. I take things waaay too seriously, too. I really don't feel like I'm a whole lot of fun anymore.

The last week has been pretty rough but generally speaking it seems to me that my sense of humor and patience has increased. Most of the time I find my kids quite amusing. The only one that is still a challange is the 10 year old and I really think that it is because I do better with older children/teens. Of course, in my family they move into adult relationships much younger than most so we reach the friendship stage earlier. I have to admit is hard when they are young.

I guess I feel silly about needing a break when I just had a week long vacation in California a month ago...but I have to remind myself that vacation was me and my 4 kids going nonstop for 7 days...no break really.

Going away with 4 kids is not a vacation, it is an adventure. :D This was a real revelation for me! I often work harder when we're on an "adventure" than I do at home. Adventuring has been known at times to steal my sense of humor! What you need is a vacation to recover from your adventure. Even if you can only steal a few hours...

Going away with 4 kids is not a vacation, it is an adventure. :D This was a real revelation for me! I often work harder when we're on an "adventure" than I do at home. Adventuring has been known at times to steal my sense of humor! What you need is a vacation to recover from your adventure. Even if you can only steal a few hours...

An adventure:lol:- that says it all! I am going to talk to my dh about (me) getting away to visit a friend for an overnighter. I think that will make a huge difference in my attitude. Just talking about this has made me more aware of my triggers and today I have made an effort to take a deep breath before I react...I feel a little more in control. I will also look into Vitamin D...I don't take any vitamins right now.

Thanks for all your wisdom.