Menu

What side is your dish drainer on?

On what side is your dish drainer? (You don't have to USE it.)  

1. 1. On what side is your dish drainer? (You don't have to USE it.)

• Left
    • Right
    • I don't own one
    • Other

Just a fun poll - what side is your dish drainer on?

I have always preferred it on the left, but I believe I am backwards from the majority. The way I see it, if it is on my left, my right hand can continue to hold the washcloth, while my left hand moves the dish from wash to rinse to the rack.

I don't have a dish drainer, but the right side of the sink is sacred. No one puts anything there (or else!:lol:). I need someplace to wash my hands and if any dishes are there it drives me NUTS.

My dishwasher is to the right of the sink also. If I had a dish drainer, it would be on the counter to the right of the sink.

Mine is currently on the right but I prefer it to be on the left. When I grew up, it was on the left in my house, friend's houses, and relatives houses.

Right now it doesn't matter much because I use the dishwasher mostly anyway. The drainer is on the right because the dishwasher is on the right and that is a smaller counter space.

I voted "other" because the location depends on how my kitchen is set up.

I like to wash and rinse in the direction of where the dishes are stored. I wash in the sink with the "regular" drain and rinse in the sink with the garbage disposal (as an adult, I've never lived in a house that didn't have one). I like the disposal to be between the washing sink and the dishwasher. I like there to be sufficient space on each side of the sink: one side as a landing for dirty dishes, the other side for the dishstrainer and dishwasher, and storage on the same side as the dishwasher.

IOW, I'm not thinkng about wanting my dish drainer on either the right or the left, but on the side that is most efficient.

In this house, the dishwasher is to the right of the sink, so that's the direction I'm going to wash and rinse...left to right. I have a clear acrylic dish drainer on the right that is used only for setting things I hand-washed until I dry and put them away. Sadly, storage is to the left. On the up side, the kitchen is compact enough that I'm not walking myself to death putting things away.

Clearly, I have way too much free time on my hands that I'm able to ponder things like this, lol.

I had to go other. I realized I have no clue which way I'd "do it". It's always been decided on by the house - counter space, if it's a full or split sink, what type of counter space is around the sink.

Thinking back on our last 12 years of houses it's been left, right(then switched left due to gd problems), right, left, right, left.

Mine is to the right, above the dishwasher. We have a large, single basin sink, but the left-side of the sink tends to be "dirty dishes" (where I have the boys put their dishes as the sink is quite deep and their arms are not yet long enough to not drop their dishes in the sink) and the right-side of the sink tends to be designated clean. ;)

Due to kitchen layout/counter space/etc. it is on the left. Well, technically, we do the thick towel method that was previously mentioned, because the drainer is hideous and forever being left out. Finally tucked it away and require that the kids put dishes away more promptly. ;)

I would prefer to go left to right though. It just doesn't work that way in this house.

Mine's on the right. Part of it, I think, is because I'm right handed and some of our dishes are pretty heavy, so I like to use my right hand to stick them in the drainer. Also, I store all of my dishes in the cupboards on the right side of the sink, so it makes it easier to put them away.

I love the complete randomness of some of the topics on this website. :D

Edited by Mergath

I don't own one because I don't like extra things on my counters. When I hand wash dishes I spread a thick towel on the left side of the sink and drain the dishes there before drying and putting them away.

That's what I do, too. I own one, but it's kept under the sink.

Well.... my dish drainer is on the left side, because the left sink is the meat sink. We keep kosher, so the right sink is the dairy sink and all those dishes go into the dishwasher. If I put the drainer on the right side, then I would be dripping my meat dishes into the dairy sink! :) :) :)

I don't have a dish drainer nor have I had one in at least 20 years. If I did have one and I had a choice in the matter, it would be on the left side because I wash from left to right. Luckily, almost all of my dishwashers have been on the left side which is really convient. Sometime I just was the dishes and put them in the dishwasher to dry or I run the dishwasher and put a towel on the counter to hold the rest while they dry.