Menu

How do you pronounce the word Poem?

How do you pronounce the word poem?  

1. 1. How do you pronounce the word poem?

• pome
    • poym
    • po-ehm
    • po-um
    • other

I had to click other because how I pronounce it depends on which side of the US Canada border I'm on. In my home town, I think we said "pome", because I remember once being surprised at hearing it with two syllables, but we definitely say it that way in our house here. However, I've lived in 4 states & 3 provinces + a year in Europe, so I can't remember for sure where I was when I said "pome." As for which 2 syllable way, that depends on which accent I've unconsciously adopted at the moment, but usually the one at dictionary.com--I've also said it the IPA pronunciation way (there's a link there for that one.)

Edited by Karin

I think it might be more common for Southerners to say "poim." My mother said it that way, and I have heard others here in Texas pronouncing it that way, as well. I think I might have when I was younger, but I remember very clearly, when I was about 11 or 12, looking at the word and thinking, "Oh, no. That is NOT pronounced that way!"

http://www.howjsay.com/

Best website for audio pronunciation. It's getting me through all of those Ancient Greek and Roman names!

That is great. Thank You! We have about 40 books from the library right now about ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt and I have no clue how to pronounce some of the names. :001_huh:

For 'poem', I was debating between -ehm and -um, I voted -ehm but it is really a blend between the two.

Best website for audio pronunciation. It's getting me through all of those Ancient Greek and Roman names!

:eek: That guy is saying Po-ihm! (In his defense, he did sound Brittish, lol)

SWB says Poim (or is it p oy m?) on her audio lecture and for a moment I had no idea what she said! :lol:

My pronunciation falls between the choices of "po-ehm" and "po-um". I don't mean "either/or", but the sound is somewhere between those two.

:iagree:

:eek: That guy is saying Po-ihm! (In his defense, he did sound Brittish, lol)

Very prah-per! (But, meh, no, thanks)

SWB says Poim (or is it p oy m?) on her audio lecture and for a moment I had no idea what she said! :lol:

Me too! I laughed when I saw this thread, because I just listened to that the other night, and I knew right away where this was coming from!! :lol:

Dictionary.com has many unusual names from history, geography, and what not with audible pronunciations which I love:D

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poem

It also give the etymology info as well:)

Oh no I read lots of poe-tree I just don't think pronunciation fanatics want my input. :lol:

Why not? I enjoy seeing how different people pronounce it. Everyone has an accent unless they're in their home town when they are speaking "normally." :)

Plus, to you schwa people, I forgot about that, but that would be how I've usually said it, half way between em & um.

Why not? I enjoy seeing how different people pronounce it. Everyone has an accent unless they're in their home town when they are speaking "normally." :)

Plus, to you schwa people, I forgot about that, but that would be how I've usually said it, half way between em & um.

I enjoy different accents too! But don't get me started on Mary and Merry being a homophone!! :lol: (They are NOT homophones!LOL)

I enjoy different accents too! But don't get me started on Mary and Merry being a homophone!! :lol: (They are NOT homophones!LOL)

:lol::lol::lol: They are where I grew up ;). But where I grew up, when we say "the sun shone" the word shone rhymes with on, not cone. I thought it the strangest thing the first time I heard "shone" rhyme with "phone." Then my kids get all over me because we pronounce "mush" differently and both can come up with many ush words that rhyme with each of our sides.

This exactly.

And pome? poym? People really say these?:svengo:

:D This is small stuff. Dh has a degree in forest management & I have a minor in Biology, and yet each of us, educated, says moncotyledon & dicotyledon differently enough that each of us howled with laughter the first time we heard the other's pronunciation. Then there are the doctors here in New England who don't have a clue how to pronounce betadyne & excema the way the doctors in BC do:). (I side with the latter.)

My mother is 85 and from the southwestern corner of Minnesota. She has always said poim for poem. Do other people from that time period say poim? Or is it just southwestern Minnesotans?

I'm from northern Minnesota and now live in the central part of the state, and where I grew up it was "pome." Once I went to college, I became all elitist and started pronouncing it with two syllables. *grin* I would think it's a time period thing, though, because I've honestly never heard it pronounced "poim" in Minnesota.

My mother is 85 and from the southwestern corner of Minnesota. She has always said poim for poem. Do other people from that time period say poim? Or is it just southwestern Minnesotans?

I think the pronunciation is southern Minnesotan, because I say po-im, and I was born & raised in the Twin Cities--south east of your great-grandmother.

Edited by Carmen_and_Company

How do they say it? I must know. :p

In which place ;)? In BC exzema has the stress on the second syllable and the second e is a long e. Here, the stress is on the first syllable and there are no long e's. I'm really not good at things like knowing when schwa's should be put it. As for betadyne, in BC the first e is like a long a and the y is like a long e, whereas here the first e is a short e and the y is like a long i. I think in both places the x is eggs, not ex, but I can't do a true Canadian accent of any kind south of the border.

I notice you didn't ask about monocotyledon, but if anyone is actually interested, dictionary.com, which is American, gives dh's pronunciation, but the IPA pronunciation link leads to the one I use. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monocotyledon I won't put dicotyledon since there are 4 different pronunciations in total between the two (American & IPA.)

:D This is small stuff. Dh has a degree in forest management & I have a minor in Biology, and yet each of us, educated, says moncotyledon & dicotyledon differently enough that each of us howled with laughter the first time we heard the other's pronunciation. Then there are the doctors here in New England who don't have a clue how to pronounce betadyne & excema the way the doctors in BC do:). (I side with the latter.)
:001_smile: We're from California, my dad was a Resp. Therapist, my mom and LVN. We said bet-uh-deen and eggs-EE-muh. When I went somewhere else and heard bay-tuh-dine and EX-eh-muh, I was very surprised! :D

How do YOU say them Karin? OOOPS, nevermind, you answered that!

Edited by Brindee

In which place ;)? In BC exzema has the stress on the second syllable and the second e is a long e. Here, the stress is on the first syllable and there are no long e's. I'm really not good at things like knowing when schwa's should be put it. As for betadyne, in BC the first e is like a long a and the y is like a long e, whereas here the first e is a short e and the y is like a long i. I think in both places the x is eggs, not ex, but I can't do a true Canadian accent of any kind south of the border.

I notice you didn't ask about monocotyledon, but if anyone is actually interested, dictionary.com, which is American, gives dh's pronunciation, but the IPA pronunciation link leads to the one I use. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monocotyledon I won't put dicotyledon since there are 4 different pronunciations in total between the two (American & IPA.)

:001_smile: We're from California, my dad was a Resp. Therapist, my mom and LVN. We said bet-uh-deen and eggs-EE-muh. When I went somewhere else and heard bay-tuh-dine and EX-eh-muh, I was very surprised! :D

Very interesting! I've never heard either of those said in different ways!

Brindee, what part of california?

I'm from california and have always heard and said bay-tuh-dine and EX-eh-muh.

Brindee, what part of california?

I'm from california and have always heard and said bay-tuh-dine and EX-eh-muh.

Down near San Bernardino/Loma Linda area. My parents worked at the Loma Linda University Hospital, and that's how they said it there. I'm thinking it's not a CA thing, but not sure why certain people/areas say things one way, and others not that far away say those same things in a diff. way!

In fact, I went to college up near the Napa area of CA. I hurt my wrist and had to go to the hospital to get it x-rayed. It was there that I heard them talking and first heard the bay-tuh-dine pronunciation. So, that's just a difference of southernish and Centralish CA!

Edited by Brindee

Thanks for confirming that Californians say these the right way ;). Okay, my way. Now, how do you pronounce syrup in CA?

ETA Oh, no, now I've read another response to you and am eager to know how medical people in the Bay Area pronounce these things.