Menu

Where do I go to find kid's cooking classes?

Gulp, I guess I'll ask the obvious, why don't you teach him?? Or is it fancier foods he wants? My boys cook spaghetti, bisque, soft tacos, cheeseburger soup, etc. My just turned 15yo cooks dinner often for us. He's never had a class. I just picked one night a week and had one child cook.

Christine

Our local community college has a culinary program. They offer teen cooking classes. Maybe a culinary program around you does this? A lot of culinary schools offer hobby classes on the weekend, I bet they wouldn't mind a 14 year old joining in on that even if they don't have a specific teen class.

This is what I suggest. A few highschools also have culinary arts programs that have community classes in the evenings. There would probably be a blend of ages in one of those classes. They also sometimes offer summer camps.

My 14 yo dd keeps asking to take one and I can't find one.

Would she be interested in a cake-decorating class? Most Michael's craft stores have them.

I think if you can't find anything else I'd get her a book like How to Cook Without a Book and guide her to pick out stuff she is interested in making.

Let us know what you do!

Gulp, I guess I'll ask the obvious, why don't you teach him?? Or is it fancier foods he wants? My boys cook spaghetti, bisque, soft tacos, cheeseburger soup, etc. My just turned 15yo cooks dinner often for us. He's never had a class. I just picked one night a week and had one child cook.

Christine

Diva can cook as well. Anything 'fancy' we do together...new recipes, etc.

Wolf jokes that she can cook better than half the women he dated before he met me :lol:

You can browse online, or get a cookbook for any style that might be of interest.

Our homeschool co-op conducts a cooking class for the

kids. The mother who teaches it is a wonderful cook!

So, the kids learn a lot of home-cooking. Yum!

So, maybe you can check out the homeschool co-ops

near you and see if any of them offer a cooking class.

I suggest a co-op too. We have cooking and/or home ec for all ages at our co-op.

How about finding another mom or grandmother who looks to cook teach your 14yo? I love cooking and often set up a "lesson" for our neighborhood kids when I am babysitting them.

This week all 6 kids made homemade pizzas. messy but fun for them.

Our local culinary school has classes designed for amateurs, and I can't imagine that a 14 yr old couldn't do them, although it might be good to send them with a partner already (maybe a parent or adult friend?) so they're not paired with some 50 yr old who doesn't understand why they're there.