Menu

Introducing...

my son's new guide dog, Dozer! I'm in Ontario right now for training week, and can't wait to get home to introduce Dozer to his boy! It's been bitter-sweet, as we had to retire the first guide dog, Princess Leia. I brought her to live on my mom's acreage. I didn't expect to cry when I left her, but I did! Oh well, she is beyond happy there, with miles of greenery and no pavement in sight. Onward and upward, with our new furry family member!

17860_416243050429_803595429_10937426_7744200_n.jpg

17860_416243065429_803595429_10937427_1315020_n.jpg

How cool, more details? If it isn't a nosy question how come your son isn't there to meet the dog?

Not nosy at all! My son has pretty severe (classic) autism and does not do well on planes. Also, it's fairly standard procedure for *most* autism guide dogs to be trained with their handlers alone, since the dog must obey our commands and bond with us. Once we pass the public access test (accredited by ADI, the international authority on guide dog standards) then we go home and the trainer visits us a few weeks later in order to work with the whole team (which could include all handlers or parents, the child and any therapists, schools, etc.) It's at this point that the trainer connects the harness to the child and the dog, thereby assuring (or greatly improving) safety in the community. My boy has zero safety awareness and no fear. His attraction to letters and numbers and ALL bodies of water have nearly cost him his life on several occassions. It will be nice to be able to venture out again, with my boy's new best friend. :001_wub:

I know a lot of people are not too familiar with guide dogs, let alone ones trained for special needs children, as their roles and skills do differ, so if you have any questions at all, I'd be more than happy to share. I love awareness. :D

Well, if your son goes somewhere he shouldn't does the dog stop him? What does "connect the harness" mean? Are they really physically connected when they go out? I'm off to google, this is fascinating to me.

Yes, the dog would stop him. That's the beauty of it. The dogs hunker down and are almost like cement on the floor. I can tug as hard as I am able and he won't budge. OK to explain the harness: the dog has a coat on. The coat has a handle my son can hold on to. It also has a loop that a small tether (picture a 2 foot leash) attaches to. The other end of the tether is connected to a magic belt around my son's waist. Yes, it's magic :lol: because it locks and he can't figure out how to unlock it. :lol: If you want to see it, click my profile, I have a picture of our (now) retired guide dog Leia with my boy. You may be able to spot the tether and the handle.

How cool! He's gorgeous!! I'd love to know more about how he helps your son. Guide dogs fascinate me.....they are so incredibly smart! Does he keep your son away from places that could put his life in danger?

There's so much these dogs can do for kids with autism. Safety is the number 1 thing they provide. Another biggie is that these dogs are usually the child's only friend. Kids with (classic and severe) autism typically don't know how to make friends. They also give the public a visual cue that there is a disability, thereby increasing allowances, or awareness of an otherwise invisable disability. It is very difficult on families with these kids to have a "normal" life because of their child's behaviours. People can be so cruel and judgemental, giving dirty looks when the child has a meltdown, or telling me that I should just spank him because he's spoiled. Or swearing at me telling me that my son is disgusting for pulling down his pants in Walmart and pooing in the aisle. Sorry folks, this kid is not spoiled, he has a disability that isn't obvious to casual onlookers. The dog gives them a heads-up that there may be more to this little boy than meets the eye. People tend to be more understanding and helpful. Another thing this dog provides is an opportunity for my son to interact with people. Folks can walk up to him and ask him the name of his dog, ask if they can pat him, etc., and it's just wonderful for his interpersonal and communication skills to be approached so often and in the same manner with the same questions. For many kids with autism, these dogs also provide a "constant" in a world of change; they are great transitionary tools to comfort a child who does not handle change well. Kind of like a security object.

In my house, these dogs also offer free food crumb pick-up! :lol:

I hope I've answered some of those questions. Again, feel free to ask more. There are some neat things these dogs have been trained to do or tollerate, and I can share that another time.

Edited by specialmama

If you want to see it, click my profile, I have a picture of our (now) retired guide dog Leia with my boy. You may be able to spot the tether and the handle.

I lied. I do have a pic there, but you can't see the handle or tether. These ones are better. Here's our retired Princess Leia and my sweet boy.n803595429_516993_4725.jpg

n803595429_516999_7993.jpg

n803595429_479480_5129.jpg

wow, Specialmama, thanks for sharing all you did! I also find it fascinating! I've wanted to foster the puppies for the guide dogs but can't do it until my girls are older. They'd just get too attached.

Your boy is so cute! I absolutely LOVE that last picture! It's so special!!!

We had a black and yellow lab. :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: Our labs were our first kids, and they were SPOILED!!! GREAT dogs!

I thought I should add to the safety bit. Kids with autism sensory disfunction. That is, they can be hypo- and/or hyper-sensitive for any and every sense. This impacts safety for many reasons. In our case, there are many days where my son cannot bear to have his hand held. It literally hurts him. So on those days, we have to hold onto his shirt. What would you think if you saw a seemingly normal 8-18 yr old boy walking in the mall and his mother was holding onto the back collar of his shirt? What if when she paid the cashier she could not let go of him? What if when she went to the washroom he bolted out of the bathroom, out the building and onto the highway? Well, let's just say that the freedom to sneeze is indeed a luxery that I do not have, without a guide dog. The dog gives my son a HUGE degree of freedom that he would not otherwise have. He doesn't have to have me physically holding on to him. Instead, he feels like he has some control because, after all, HE is walking the dog. ;)

What a darling pair! Is Leia old or......?

No, she's only 4. She suffered a leg injury early July and although we could have given her cruciate surgery, she would have likely retired a year later due to all the concrete and mall floor walking. Much better to live the life of a dog on grass with some omega joint supplements. There was also some upheaval with the dog guide organization, and the founder left based on a principle which I agree with. He started an autism program within a pre-existing guide dog organization and we followed him here. So that also explains the different working jackets on the dogs.

wow, Specialmama, thanks for sharing all you did! I also find it fascinating! I've wanted to foster the puppies for the guide dogs but can't do it until my girls are older. They'd just get too attached.

Your boy is so cute! I absolutely LOVE that last picture! It's so special!!!

We had a black and yellow lab. :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: Our labs were our first kids, and they were SPOILED!!! GREAT dogs!

Puppy raising is a great thing! Hard work to ensure the dogs have exposure to many different stimuli in the public, but the reward is great. All the puppy raisers I know admit that it is hard, but the joy they have seeing that dog better another person's life far surpasses the heartache. I'm sorry about your labs... gosh, and anyone else who lost some furry friends! They really do become like members of the family!

ps - the picture of you and Dozer......

WHERE'S THE SNOW???????????

I KNOW!!!! SO UNFAIR!!! We have a ton back home!!!

I miss Princess Leia :crying: Even if she did have a weird fetish for my husband. *sniffle*

Congrats on Dozer. If you happen to get a chance, talk with the Dude about me, would ya? I'm still not sure this is something they could work with...

Dozer is a beaut. :D:grouphug:

Beautiful dog! I looked into getting ds a service dog years ago but because he is not confirmed to be on the spectrum we could not get an approved one. We have been lucky that as ds has gotten older many of his specific pulls have dramatically decreased. HE still runs away from home, the mall etc, but not with the frequency he did. He used to have a thing for elevators, he would run away in search of elevators, most malls we went to did not have them, so he would bolt out of the mall in search of one. He would also hide, one time after hours of searching for him with police and mall security we found him in the back store room of the SEARS shoe department on the top shelf of one of the racks. He apparently climbed in the service door as a delivery truck was backing up and hid in there. It is terrifying to go out in public and worry about your child bolting, or doing something that will make others judge him when he can't control it. I am so glad you will have Dozer to take princess leia's place to keep your son safe.