Menu

Age for pocket knife

Guest Virginia Dawn

Dh gave the 10yo one for christmas. I just made sure to tell him to whittle away from his body and to not take it away from home for now.

DS got his in October, shortly before he turned 8.

He is very responsible, so I wasn't worried about him hurting himself or losing it. What I didn't anticipate is that he would want to take it with him everywhere and show everyone he knows! We had to frisk him before we went to the State Fair, to ensure that he would not set off their metal detectors! I told DH I was so glad he wasn't in ps or else we would be getting that dreaded phone call, "Um. Your son has been suspended for bringing a knife onto school property." :tongue_smilie:

Ds, 12, got a Swiss Army pocketknife for Christmas. On the first box that he used his knife on to open, he is looking down at the box and says "What are those drops?"....closer inspection revealed that it was blood and somehow, on his first attempt at using the knife, he had cut himself. It wasn't a bad cut or anything, but my dh and I were second-guessing that choice as a gift!:tongue_smilie: So, he got an early lesson in why it's important to be very, very careful with them.

My husband, an engineer of tools, make a wooden one with my 6 year old son. It's fully functioning, and my husband said that when he learned to care for this one... and be careful....he'd make a "real" one with him.

I think your dh should patent that idea and sell them! What a brilliant way to teach young kids to be responsible.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We got one for my oldest ds at age 8, for his birthday.

We do have pocket knife rules: He must ask before using it, and an adult must be in the room. This is a child-specific rule, not age-related. He is an out-of-the-box thinker (Hey! I bet I could use my pocket knife for this!) and sometimes doesn't quite think of safety first.

Cat