Menu

Now that Christmas is over, it is obviously the time to start

I'm going to start using Steve Solomon's fertilizer recipe. We have been adding stuff (organic, homemade only) to this dirt for 4 summers and it is still is lacking in micronutrients. :glare:

I'm thinking we will try yardlong beans and maybe fingerling potatoes, too. We do regular potatoes but fingerlings look so cute and yummy.

Georgia

I was just thinking about this in the shower. I did a lot of experimental things last year, some successful, some not. I think this year I'll limit myself to heirloom tomatoes, squash, and peppers. Although, potatoes look interesting. Maybe I'll try some of those, too.

OH, and pumpkins. I want to try pumpkins this year, too.

Oh - I was just thinking about this the other day - straightening the family room and looking at my basket of garden/seed catalogs. I love to sit by the fire and daydream all winter.

Don't usually do many veggies - I did do snow peas this year but none of them actually made it inside to the table because it became an outdoor snack station for my kids, LOL.

Most I grow flowers and I'm looking at a bunch of new varieties for this year.

Anyone looked at MyFolia.com? I just started using that this year and loved it.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I want to dig up enough ground for separate potato patch this year. I also want to put in more green peppers than last year, so I can have enough frozen until the next spring. I'm on my last bit now. I'm going to stick with snap peas, onions, kale, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, potatoes and green beans, these seem to do the best for me.

we've grown organic all the way and it's a lot of work but well worth it. Also, heirloom and open pollinated seeds are the best. Great science for the children when it comes to organic growing. Nothing like home-grown potatoes and tomatoes. I LOVE to go over all the catalogs this time of year as you can never be too early to plan.......oh and our organic pears are wonderful this time of year, yumm........

Blessings

Garden planning? Seriously? We can't plant until mid May or later around here. That's a longggg time to think about gardening.

We start pepper inside at the end of January and tomatoes at the end of February. We just finished harvesting the last of our carrots. We have to make decisions about which seeds to order. You can plant seeds for peas as early as you can work the soil, so really it isn't too early.

Oh, hun, I started planning as soon as I started picking the corn off the stalks, lol! Our official day to garden is around the middle of May though. But, on the NM extension website, I found information that really broke down regions of our state and what we can plant outside when. So this year, I'm going to start in February with lettuce (kind of new for us) and carrots (have done carrots, but late summer). In the past four years, we've grown corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, green peppers, tomatillo, carrots, onion, beets, radishes, cilantro, squash, and cucumber. Last year, potato scraps grew potatoes! Not all at the same time though. We have a small space, but get a lot out of it.

My daughter moved my garden journal (upinflamessmiliegif.gif), but I have the garden planned out from February all the way through next fall! All I need now are more seeds...Off to look up those seed catalogs folks are mentioning (although we have a nice organic gardening center near us http://www.highcountrygardens.com/).

We start pepper inside at the end of January and tomatoes at the end of February. We just finished harvesting the last of our carrots. We have to make decisions about which seeds to order. You can plant seeds for peas as early as you can work the soil, so really it isn't too early.

:D Yep. Peas can go in as early as March. That is only weeks away!

Edited by LibraryLover

i dunno where we will be but i am hoping to do some romaine lettuce (its' so darn expensive at the store) esp. if we are still here in washington. my tomatoes never happened last year until late and the freezes got them, my peppers never showed nor did my cucumbers. my beans showed and i got a lot but the weren't ever really ready to eat, so they went to the trash too.

if we are in SC i will do tomatoes, peppers and who knows what else

eta: my zucchini never blossomed right either