Menu

Company Christmas Gifts

DH came home this morning with his gifts from work - and I was soooo excited, I just had to share... a cast iron oval fajita pan!!! :w00t: DH works for an iron foundry - so they are personalized with the company name and year.

He also got a gift card for a grocery store in lieu of a ham, and a bright yellow insulated lunch bag.

My youngest has claimed the lunch bag. :leaving:

It got me wondering what other folks have gotten from their companies - anyone else want to share???

DH came home this morning with his gifts from work - and I was soooo excited, I just had to share... a cast iron oval fajita pan!!! :w00t: DH works for an iron foundry - so they are personalized with the company name and year.

He also got a gift card for a grocery store in lieu of a ham, and a bright yellow insulated lunch bag.

It got me wondering what other folks have gotten from their companies - anyone else want to share???

So nice to hear some folks are still getting Company Christmas gifts. Cast Iron pan - Wow! Of course it may help that he works for a foundry, but still....very nice!

That is a nice gift. Dh got a check! We couldn't believe it. This is his first year there and we had no idea they did this (especially considering he took a 10% pay cut recently).

Our neighbor got a Honey Baked Ham from his employer. Since they are vegetarians, he gave it to us. The bone and left over meat are simmer in a pot of peas right now for pea soup. Mmmmmm.

DH's company does a huge family party instead of a gift (but we get bonuses quarterly, sometimes stock, sometimes $). The party consisted of a Dinner cruise (chartered boat), a hotel stay at the Gaylord Opryland (very nice Nashville resort hotel), and breakfast the next day. Teenage kids all got their own room as an added bonus. Personally, the party is a memory for the kids and fun for us, so I think it's a great "gift".

I got a 10% off a purchase coupon for the store I work at...I work in retail pharmacy. OOOoooooh Ahhhhhh. One of our main competitors have this as an everyday discount for their employees :0/

Dh's company has a nice dinner in January for the employee +1.

We are the employer, and we gave our part-time helper who has only worked since November a $50 gift card to Walmart and a handmade card.

We always give something to our employees, but we have never once received a card or anything FROM our employees.

Perhaps I'll start a thread asking how many people gave gifts to their employer. :bigear:

We are the employer, and we gave our part-time helper who has only worked since November a $50 gift card to Walmart and a handmade card.

We always give something to our employees, but we have never once received a card or anything FROM our employees.

Perhaps I'll start a thread asking how many people gave gifts to their employer. :bigear:

We are also employers. We gave each employee something different (the Canadian tax laws allow us to give a give of up to $500 without the employee having to pay income tax on the gift, so we try to take advantage of this). We gave one a Wii, one a mini laptop, and one dish cloths and tea towels (we asked him what he wanted, and this is what he told us :D. Dh also gave him some nice drill bits he asked for). Each year they get something for dh. Last year they all pitched in and bought him a PVR/HD box for his home theater. This year one gave him gift cards for movies and pizza for the entire family. Another gave him a $100 gift certificate to a nice restaurant, and the third gave him a tin of chocolates. They usually give me a nice liqueur. We're pretty happy with our small little company. We all left a bigger company to start this one three years ago, and we're enjoying the benefits.

Lori

Edited by LBC

I was always under the impression that it was improper to give your boss a gift. I give something that I give everyone else, like a plate of homebaked cookies, but I have NEVER given an employer a gift.

And, for the record, I never would. Due to the implied (and usually very real) power differential it could be seen as an attempt at flattery/brown-nosing.

I am a nurse at a big hospital, and they give everyone a pretty large Ingles gift card at the end of November. I am only prn (as needed, I work one shift per week) and I got $75. They have done this every year, and I am soooooo thankful when that card comes!

My dh works for a large electric corporation and last week they each got a $25 gift card to Ingles. I thought that was nice as well.

The nurses on my unit got our manager a Home Depot gift card. I don't think I would ever buy a personal gift for my boss, but I think it is acceptable to pitch in on a large gift.

I DID!!!! But, I am related to the employer!:D

ETA: I imagine if you ever end up with a long-term employee, you will get a gift as well.

Edited by Renee in FL

Sometimes dh gets a bonus....I don't think we got one this year. His accounting firm is very small, though, and they have a Christmas party every year with a gift exchange. We came home with chocolate. :o). Dh also does accounting for our church, though, and they were very generous and gave him 2 $100 gift certificates for Amazon, and another $100 gift certificate for Walmart. That was really nice.

When I worked for small companies and actually worked with the owner...I always gave them a gift or contributed to a group gift.

In larger companies, I typically asked whether we are going to exchange gifts or not. If the manager buys individual gifts for the employees, then I always reciprocated. If they didn't, I didn't. These gifts are always out of the manager's personal pockets, not the company's.

My current manager is in a 'downsizing' Christmas mode, so we didn't exchange this year. I am considering donating to a charity in his name....he would like that.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I gave the boss of dh's company a candle this year. A friend makes them and was struggling this year so I bought several to give out. The boss wasn't singled out however. There are 2 other people who work with my dh and they also got a candle - each one a different scent.

Kind of a gift... I found out a couple of weeks ago that starting with the New Year, I'm getting a company vehicle.

I got gift cards for all the consultants I've hired this year. I have a small budget for that kind of thing, but I spent more (out of my own pocket) than that. IMO, it's worth it, because they are what makes my region stand out every year.

Edited by Audrey