Menu

Need suggestions for new pots and pans without Telfon/non-stick

Hello out there. About a week ago I started a thread about wanting glass food storage containers. Got great feedback from all of you wonderful people out there. Now I have a new desire.

I would like a new set of pans that do NOT have Teflon/non-stick surface on the inside of the pan. I keep hearing way too many things about them being bad. I have a Farberware Classic Series pan for the past 7 years it is still awesome. It does not have the Teflon on the inside. I love that pan. I am thinking about getting a whole set of them. But, I thought I would ask all of you wonderful people out there your thoughts and/or suggestions.

So, I am all ears --> :bigear:

I swear by All-Clad. For nonstick purposes, we use well-seasoned cast iron.

I can't use cast iron, or the enamaled cast iron because I have a glass top electric stove. Apparently the enamel will melt to the glass top, and the regular cast iron I am really afraid that it will scratch the heck out of the glass top. Next time I get a stove (which likely won't be soon since this one is only 1.5 years old), I will convert the darn range area to gas (the line is right there, we just didn't poke it through the wall when we re-did the kitchen). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I can't use cast iron, or the enamaled cast iron because I have a glass top electric stove. Apparently the enamel will melt to the glass top, and the regular cast iron I am really afraid that it will scratch the heck out of the glass top.

I checked this out and you seem to have incorrect info on this - see here

I sure hope this is correct because dd wants to use a le crueset panini maker on ours.

~Moira

We have a set of all-clad, no non-stick surfaces and they work great. We've had them for 10 years now and would buy them all over again (although these are holding up wonderfully).

We have the older version of this set. The price has gone up quite a bit since we bought ours, but you can probably get a better deal at a different store.

I can't use cast iron, or the enamaled cast iron because I have a glass top electric stove. Apparently the enamel will melt to the glass top, and the regular cast iron I am really afraid that it will scratch the heck out of the glass top. Next time I get a stove (which likely won't be soon since this one is only 1.5 years old), I will convert the darn range area to gas (the line is right there, we just didn't poke it through the wall when we re-did the kitchen). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

FWIW, we have a glass-ceramic cooking surface and have never had a problem with cast iron. :001_smile:

I can't use cast iron, or the enamaled cast iron because I have a glass top electric stove. Apparently the enamel will melt to the glass top, and the regular cast iron I am really afraid that it will scratch the heck out of the glass top.

I both of these kinds of pans on my glass top (carefully, I don't bang or shake them around, ya know?) and have no problems at all.

I'm drooling over Scanpan cookware. It's not teflon coated, but it's got a durable, titanium, nonstick surface that is supposed to be indestructible. Of course, it's also very expensive. But, it's FOREVER! I wouldn't ever have to replace it. EVER! :D Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into it? ;)

There's a good description of it at Amazon.com. Or, you can price it at scanpancookware.com, or you can look at thepioneerwoman.com. She gave a couple sets away a few days ago. (I didn't win, but that got me interested)

We have a 12-in KitchenAid stainless steel pan & love it. (Actually, dh -- the cook -- loves it.) He's been wanting more pots & pans to match it & I've gotten him this set for Christmas. It's a great price (imo) & free shipping. Also, this set was the top-rated uncoated cookware set by Consumer Reports (Dec. 2005 issue). As my dh is a big-time Consumer Reports fan, this is the perfect set.

I have a couple of stainless steel all-clad skillets. that I love and use daily. They do stick some, but nothing horrible. They wash well. However, I have been eyeing a non stick All Clad skillet. I was thinking I'd like even less stick. I have cast iron as well. But I always reach for the all-clad, rarely the cast iron. They feel better in my hands; the weight is right for me.

I had a glass top and I used both my cast iron and my Le Crueset with no problems.

Of course when we built this house I insisted on a gas top. I love it and missed having one for 10 years.