Menu

Start hard or start easy?

Tabrett

How do you prefer to start the school year?  

1. 1. How do you prefer to start the school year?

• 1. Start the school year a little too academically heavy then ease up?
    • Gradually start the school year and progress up to the desired academic level?

Which would you prefer?

1. Start the school year a little too academically heavy then ease up?

2. Gradually start the school year and progress up to the desired academic level?

I would rather start my year very heavy academically to "shock" the child back into school then light up. I feel like at the beginning they are ready to fly and most curricululms try to ease into the routine. Then the child gets used to a lighter load and starts to rebel when the load reaches the proper level.

Kind of like pulling out onto an interstate. You punch the gas to really get going - then you set the speed to cruise.

What say the hive?

What I find is that when we start the year academically heavy, dd quickly rises to the challenge. By this time of the year, I'm feeling like I'm not requiring enough, even though it's the same load that she's had since the beginning (or even more, in a few subjects, as she's moved to the next level of the curriculum). That's her personality, though, and I fully expect that one or more of my others will require a different approach.

I hit the books hard from the get-go. We tend to naturally slow down a bit as the illnesses start creeping in during the Fall :glare: and get slow again at Christmas. After the Christmas break, we start hard again so as to get in some good amount of work before the blahness of mid February/March hits and Spring Fever begins. We typically get our best work done in Sept/Oct and again in January/beginning of Feb.

If *we* attempted to start slow and ramp up, I don't think we'd ever get to the "ramp-up" part. :001_huh:

I hit the books hard from the get-go. We tend to naturally slow down a bit as the illnesses start creeping in during the Fall :glare: and get slow again at Christmas. After the Christmas break, we start hard again so as to get in some good amount of work before the blahness of mid February/March hits and Spring Fever begins. We typically get our best work done in Sept/Oct and again in January/beginning of Feb.

If *we* attempted to start slow and ramp up, I don't think we'd ever get to the "ramp-up" part. :001_huh:

:iagree:

This is exactly how we are. Although I have a yearly plan so when those blahs hit, I can only get so far behind before I am snapped like a rubber band back into reality. LOL.

Which would you prefer?

1. Start the school year a little too academically heavy then ease up?

2. Gradually start the school year and progress up to the desired academic level?

I would rather start my year very heavy academically to "shock" the child back into school then light up. I feel like at the beginning they are ready to fly and most curricululms try to ease into the routine. Then the child gets used to a lighter load and starts to rebel when the load reaches the proper level.

Kind of like pulling out onto an interstate. You punch the gas to really get going - then you set the speed to cruise.

What say the hive?

It might depend on the child. There is no way my kids would do well with starting heavy, it would overwhelm them and they would shut down. If you build them up a little at a time they can adjust to a lot.

But I actually hs year around. I do add new work at the beginning of a traditional school year, and I usually do one new topic/change a week.

Heather

What I find is that when we start the year academically heavy, dd quickly rises to the challenge. By this time of the year, I'm feeling like I'm not requiring enough, even though it's the same load that she's had since the beginning (or even more, in a few subjects, as she's moved to the next level of the curriculum). That's her personality, though, and I fully expect that one or more of my others will require a different approach.

:iagree: Nine-and-a-half is so different from just-turned-nine.

We pretty much just keep a steady pace, so I didn't vote either! :) I know what I want to accomplish each quarter (every 3 months), which is 25% of our annual goals. So if we've surpassed 25% of the annual goal before the end of the quarter, then we branch out into some elective subjects, or do a few more science projects, or linger a little longer with history, or take a couple of days off, etc. Right now we're about 50% through our "school year" and about 60-65% of the way through our goals. Perfect, since we're hoping to take a month off for a cross-country move (please, God, soon!). :)

every year is so different with 5 children (and we have often had a new baby around) that i start strict on the routine but a little under the schooling i expect us to settle into. i find that it is not the work that is hard but getting used to the new structure. we have a summer structure which is not school oriented. once they get the hang of the routine, when we take breaks, when to settle down, it is easier to get things done. and of course we have the same conflicts as the winter approaches, so we lighten up, and then they're ready to focus again after the holidays. we really end up on a 6-7 week cycle without meaning to.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I don't know how to highlight the above text, so I just copied and pasted it! That's us!!!

We don't start harder or softer. We just start up exactly as we left off.

:iagree:We begin as we mean to go on--that's the only way I can stay on task. I am too ready to take things easy, and then get mad at myself when dc aren't accomplishing what I wish they were and I know they're capable of.