Menu

Ideas for coping with northern latitudes/short days?

Laura, we have sunrise at about 7:00; sunset is around 5:00. The shortened days are tough. What I find helpful: A blue light for myself. Plenty of exercise for everyone -- a workout that works up a good sweat. Some sort of work with the hands (my case, knit). Frequently connecting with friends or attending something with a group. Getting out every day to a store, even for a brief time. I also started taking Sam-E this year and it seems helpful. Take care.

We are on a similar latitude to Moscow. In N. American terms, we are just north of Grand Prairie, Alberta. Is there anyone else dealing with short days? What do you do to make this time fun/special rather than dreary?

Thanks

Laura

Winter became a lot more bearable for us once we made doing a winter vacation (south) in Feb a regular part of our routine. There's something about just knowing you're going to get a break that perks our family up considerably. (The planning, the anticipation, etc.) When we head south, we make sure we get oodles of Vitamin D - made the natural way - without getting a burn. That seems to give us a bit of energy when we get back.

I think Vitamin D deficiency is responsible for a bit of stuff - and I think getting it naturally - from the sun - works the best.

Maybe it's all in my mind, but as long as it works, that's what counts. We've done really inexpensive camping vacations (Fl state parks are generally quite nice!), so it doesn't have to cost a ton. We've also gone to Hawaii - far more expensive, but REALLY nice in Feb.

Otherwise, around home, we mainly try to stay active and count down the days till spring.

We lived in Brussels for a time...talk about dark and cold.

The keys for me were

lots of outdoor time. Walking to the bakery or grocery store even in the rain and cold was wonderful therapy for me. Going for walks in a nature type park was also good. In addition...if there was ANY sun during the day, I made a beeline for the outdoors. If it only lasted a few minutes, I at least had done what I could to get some sun in my eyes.

Bright lights indoors. Bright warm yellow light makes me feel GOOD.

Being involved in some sort of indoor hobby...knitting, quilting, scrapbooking, painting, cooking...takes my mind off the dark and cold.

Plenty of exercise.

Eat some sunshine...oranges, carrots...anything golden and bright. lol If I had known the benefits of Vitamin D in those days, I would have taken lots.

I second the vacation south to warmth and sun--we headed to the south of France for two weeks in late winter. (Now days, I head to Phoenix.) If you can't go south, go somewhere and enjoy the cold outdoors...skiing, for example or visit a nearby 'big' city for a weekend of fun.

Celebrate the solistice. It is a big deal to me to KNOW the earth is shifting and the warmth and sun are headed back my way. Hope.

Hang in there.

I have lived with long winters, short days my whole life and I have to admit it seems to be getting more difficult to deal with as I age. We are almost at the shortest day of the year . . . it's pretty much dark here until 8:30 a.m. and dark again by 4 p.m. And often it's gloomy, wet or snowing. (Thankfully this past week we've had a lot of sun, but bitter cold.)

Honestly, this year I have been taking a vitamin D supplement. This is anectotal but I am feeling much better than other years by this time. I also keep the room I'm working in well lit all day long. And finally, I try and get outside for a walk/run each day during some lighted time. This isn't always possible. Sometimes I have to go out after dark (with the dogs) but being outside helps too.

Dark is difficult to cope with. I always look forward to after Christmas when every day there is a few minutes of extra light.

Edited by Rose in BC

We weren't quite as far north as you, but the winters were LOOOOONG and dark where we were in Almost Canada, ND. I exercised as much as I could. That helped a lot.

We also threw open the drapes and blinds whenever we could, and got outside as much as possible even if it was just to go for a drive (can't play in -20!) to get some daylight.

I lived in Alaska in my teens and part of my 20s. I found the only trick is to be sure you get outside during the daylight and don't get a job in a cubicle. Some Eskimo woman I met from a village up north told me that they played lots of games and made each other laugh.

I don't have quite the short days you do, but I find that a big, sunny window really helps. Fling the curtains wide and sit/work/do school in the sunny patch on the floor. Not the best for heat conservation, but well worth the mood lift. The dark winter days really bother me, and sunshine is about the only thing that helps. If I get enough of my sunny spot on the clear days, I can enjoy the cloudy gray ones where I hunker down to bake.

I have lived with SAD for many years (in the Chicago area). What I find helpful ...

Outdoor time. I try to make sure that I get at least 1 hour of outdoor time. If the weather doesn't cooperate (we do enjoy snow, but not rain), I try to make sure we get some physical activity inside.

Physical activity. Working up to a sweat a couple times a day can help chase those blues away. Around here, I go to the gym in the AM before the kids get up. I have the kids do calisthenics contests during the day and continue sports - karate, indoor rock climbing.

Vitamin D. This has been a new addition to my regimen and I am very surprised at the difference it makes. I take 4000 units per day. We may up it since the days are getting shorter.

Light therapy. I have a light box (I think I got it from giaim.com.) I try to use it for 30 minutes per day (like reading next to it and looking into the box periodically.

Books and board games:).

Winter became a lot more bearable for us once we made doing a winter vacation (south) in Feb a regular part of our routine. There's something about just knowing you're going to get a break that perks our family up considerably. (The planning, the anticipation, etc.) When we head south, we make sure we get oodles of Vitamin D - made the natural way - without getting a burn. That seems to give us a bit of energy when we get back.

I think Vitamin D deficiency is responsible for a bit of stuff - and I think getting it naturally - from the sun - works the best.

Maybe it's all in my mind, but as long as it works, that's what counts. We've done really inexpensive camping vacations (Fl state parks are generally quite nice!), so it doesn't have to cost a ton. We've also gone to Hawaii - far more expensive, but REALLY nice in Feb.

Otherwise, around home, we mainly try to stay active and count down the days till spring.

We do this too. It was actually part of the plan we made when moving to our current location. It ceratianly helps with the after Christmas, mid-winter blues to have a vacation to sunny FL in the works.

We currently have sunrise at 8:30 and sunset at 3:30.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Laura

You've got about the same amount of daylight that we do... sunrise was near 9am today and it's mostly gone now (3:45pm)....same province (Alberta) as the town you mentioned, but a on the other side and a bit farther north.

In all honesty, the short daylight hours don't bother me. I find the summer more difficult when it looks like the middle of the afternoon at 11pm! :lol:

I would suggest just getting outside more often in the daylight that you do have....what's your weather like there? Ours is pretty dang cold, but we still get out - just dressed for it.

[We still do things in the dark - skating, sledding, etc. Most of the places for those things are lit up a fair bit... and actually, I love sledding under the stars. When they're not actually behind clouds. :tongue_smilie: ]

Edited by fivetails
fix typo

We are on a similar latitude to Moscow. In N. American terms, we are just north of Grand Prairie, Alberta. Is there anyone else dealing with short days? What do you do to make this time fun/special rather than dreary?

Try to get outside during peak light, even if you have to really dress for it.

Swimming in the evenings.

Fireplace or woodstove.

I have lived with SAD for many years (in the Chicago area). What I find helpful ...

Outdoor time. I try to make sure that I get at least 1 hour of outdoor time. If the weather doesn't cooperate (we do enjoy snow, but not rain), I try to make sure we get some physical activity inside.

Physical activity. Working up to a sweat a couple times a day can help chase those blues away. Around here, I go to the gym in the AM before the kids get up. I have the kids do calisthenics contests during the day and continue sports - karate, indoor rock climbing.

Vitamin D. This has been a new addition to my regimen and I am very surprised at the difference it makes. I take 4000 units per day. We may up it since the days are getting shorter.

Light therapy. I have a light box (I think I got it from giaim.com.) I try to use it for 30 minutes per day (like reading next to it and looking into the box periodically.

Books and board games:).

:iagree: All of this helps me, but I honestly think the vitamin D has made the most difference in my mood.

Another idea, FWIW - take time every day to do something that you really love doing, something that just makes you feel happy. Dance around the living room to great music, take time to call a friend (even long distance), etc.

We currently have sunrise at 8:30 and sunset at 3:30.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Laura

Okay. I've got an extra hour or so more than you, but I came here from S. FL and the adjustment was brutal at first. Some things that helped me:

• lots of fresh air, outdoor exercise. This can be tough here because we also get -30°C to -40°C temperatures. Still, I go out even when it's that cold. I need it.

• lots of Vitamin D rich foods.

• bright white lightbulbs in the house. I know they aren't as eco-friendly, but they are much better, IME, for counter-acting the shorter days.

• let no wall be painted white, let no large surfaces be white. This is crucial for me. I cannot stare outside at snow snow snow snow snow for 6 months of the year and then come inside to see white white white everywhere.

• embrace the winter. I fought and fought it for several years, until it occurred to me that I was fighting something I could never change anyway. I needed to find a way to embrace the winter for what it was on its own terms. For me, that became a literal thing. Every year, on the first really good fluffy snow bank, I throw myself into it, face-first and naked. It sounds crazy, but it is amazingly invigorating. It's become an annual ritual, and when I am starting to feel the winter blues, I will do it again to revive myself.

• lastly, find an activity that you do only in winter, and that you really enjoy. It gives something to look forward to in the long months of winter. I curl and knit, but ONLY in the winter.

I hope this helps a little. Winter can be a very tough time for a lot of people. You aren't alone. The good news is that there are a lot of ways to beat the winter blues. Try different things until you find the combination that keeps you well.

I've always wanted to experience an Alaskan summer. I love the long days and endless energy.

I've always had trouble with the Seattle winters, which get 2 hours more daylight than you do. When I discovered downhill skiing, I loved it so much I looked forward to the winters. The weeks that I knew I'd be skiing that weekend was happy with anticipation. So, finding a winter hobby worked well for me. Now that I have a knee injury (that still hurts 3-4 years later), I can't look forward to that anymore. :crying: I miss skiiing.

On that note, keeping busy helps. Do lots of fun things.

This year has been the best winter yet, though. It's the first year, out of 17, that I've lived here and haven't had any seasonal depression. I have the mood and energy levels like I experience in the summer. It's a weird, but completely welcomed change. I have no idea why, but there is some conjecture that it's my dairy free diet.

Its not fun or special, but I've found a nap helps. Its mentally challenging for me to have daylight gone by 4-430p and know I still have another shift before I can end the day, kwim? If I can get a 1-2 hr nap in, I can gear up for the rest of the day.

And no, its not always an option. In fact, it rarely is. But it helps when I can get it.

Interesting thread.

Get a full-spectrum lamp and make everybody sit under it every day. When I'm in Canada in the winter, the snow and the frozen lake are gorgeous for exactly one week. After that, I start getting gloomier and gloomier until my mood perfectly matches the dark, gray, dreary sky. Seven or eight hours of gray, watery daylight is NOT a good thing for a tropical flower like me.

When I discovered full-spectrum lamps it changed everything. I get up in the morning, sit under my lamp for 45 minutes while I read a book, and the rest of the day I'm cheerful and energetic. I, like many other people, get Seasonal Affective Disorder. The full spectrum light is the cure. If you're very affected, talk to your doctor and he/she will tell you for how long and when during the day you should sit under your lamp. It's amazing what a few (trillion) well-placed photons up your optical nerve will do for you.

Edited by tdeveson
Edited to fix my dyslexic typo.