Menu

Toddler taking his diaper off... need advice.

Does anyone have experience with this? My 29 mos old son takes his diaper off right after soiling or wetting it. This happens during the day and night. He is very good about putting the dirty diaper in the diaper pail when I am not around (or asleep) but then we are stuck with messes when he sits down or goes back to bed diaperless. What should I do? Should I start potty training even though he only really knows after the fact, and doesn't yet know the "It's coming" feeling. I thought about duct tape at night happy0009.gif.

Thoughts?

Maybe you could switch to pull-ups? You could keep some in the bathroom and have him put on a new one after he throws out the old one? Although if he needs a good wiping this wouldn't be ideal either....

A friend of mine used duct tape on her sons' diapers so they couldn't take them off on their own after cleaning up several messes. :D

I have done the duct tape it works BUT if you have a child truely set of getting the diaper off they will tear it apart leaving only the duct tape/waist of the diaper on and a huge mess of wet gel from inside the diaper, guess how I know that.

I would start potty training him, but if you do not think he is not ready for that why not get pull ups and tell him to put one one when he takes off his diaper, they are easy for him to put on and should prevent a trail of mess though when he sits to put it on you maybe left with one. You could teach him to sit on a little potty when he is putting one on so he does not leave a mess on the floor.

I would praise him like crazy for being so clever and smart to take that dirty nappy off.

I'd offer a potty but wouldn't make a big deal about it.

I'd tell him that if he takes a nappy off he needs to either tell someone to help him put on a new one, or put on pullups or cloth training pants himself.

seriously, we use the footie jammies here now because it's cold, but stick'm on backwards (works better if they're a bit large). :D

During the daytime.....no help there except to keep him beside you so you catch "the look" and run him to the potty. A backward onsie -- with the snaps in back help momentarily but is soon figured out.

Yeah ... this is when I started potty training. But mine was a few months older when he did this. The funny thing was that he wouldn't just take his diaper off ... he would take everything off ... no matter what the weather.

YES! That is what he is doing! Then at around 4am he starts crying b/c he is so cold... and that is when I find the mess, change sheets, bath, etc. 3 nights in a row :glare:.

I have done the duct tape it works BUT if you have a child truely set of getting the diaper off they will tear it apart leaving only the duct tape/waist of the diaper on and a huge mess of wet gel from inside the diaper, guess how I know that.

Yes, sounds like something that he would do :glare:. Nix the duct tape...

My daughter is going through this now. She turns 3 in a couple of weeks. Back in February this naked/diaperless thing started. Since I've potty trained all my kids by simply taking the diaper away and letting them run naked (at least bottomless) we started training since she already was running naked. Well it's been months and months. She is potty trained now but I make her wear a dipaer at night because she simply can't hold it all night. Many nights I have to get up and either put a nightgown back on her because she is cold (because she stripped everything off) or change the sheets because she took the diaper off and wet herself. The goods news is this is getting better. A couple of weeks ago we were doing this several times a night, now it's only a few times a week. So no real help but lots of sympathy. I was very close to duck tape but then she started doing better. We do see lots of her private parts because clothes are still optional in her mind.

seriously, we use the footie jammies here now because it's cold, but stick'm on backwards (works better if they're a bit large). :D

During the daytime.....no help there except to keep him beside you so you catch "the look" and run him to the potty. A backward onsie -- with the snaps in back help momentarily but is soon figured out.

:iagree:

I did this too. It was the only thing that worked. My dd was 17 months when she started taking off her diaper and making a mess. I cut off the feet of footed pjs and replaced them going in the opposite direction. If I didn't she would go up the leg and pull off the diaper.

I used the 'backwards' footed pjs with dd3 when she would do this. It was summer for us, so I cut the feet off and the arms off, and zipped her in. It was the only thing that worked for us. I knew her typical bm schedule, so during those times of day, she was in pjs. It was about 3 mths, and then I let her wear regular clothes again. She seemed to get over it by then.

During that time I did some 'repeat after me' role playing when she had a messy diaper....."Mommy, my diapers poopy. Please change me." It stuck and when she started saying it on her own when she had a full diaper, it showed me it was time for regular clothes again.

I would praise him like crazy for being so clever and smart to take that dirty nappy off.

I completely agree.

I find the idea of duct tape to be beyond nasty. I would never want to be forcibly attached to my own bodily fluids! I cannot imagine the outrage if this had been a post about Grandma and the duct tape techniques used by the workers at the nursing home.

I find the idea of duct tape to be beyond nasty. I would never want to be forcibly attached to my own bodily fluids! I cannot imagine the outrage if this had been a post about Grandma and the duct tape techniques used by the workers at the nursing home.

All children in diapers are "attached to their bodily fluids" for a time, even if it's just long enough for Mom to notice they need to be changed and get them over to the changing table. No one said anything about leaving them in their dirty diapers for an extended period of time--that's abuse.

No, we're talking about a two year old child who takes off his diaper and spreads his poop around before Mom has a chance to notice that he needs a change. Poop spread around the house is a health hazard and must be contained in a diaper until Mom can change it.

My youngest one did the same thing. We took it as a cue to potty train and it was successful. However, he did/does continue his independent streak and will try to take care of wiping himself. The problem is he's not very good at it yet and will end up with a mess either in the bathroom or in his pants after he dresses himself. He won't give you any warning and will sneak off so he can do it himself.

I'm sure we will appreciate our sons' propensity for taking initiative later in life but it does make things a little difficult for now!:lol:

Ready to potty train and at this point I wouldn't want to send a message that wet or poopy pants are a good thing.

Does anyone have experience with this? My 29 mos old son takes his diaper off right after soiling or wetting it. This happens during the day and night. He is very good about putting the dirty diaper in the diaper pail when I am not around (or asleep) but then we are stuck with messes when he sits down or goes back to bed diaperless. What should I do? Should I start potty training even though he only really knows after the fact, and doesn't yet know the "It's coming" feeling. I thought about duct tape at night happy0009.gif.

Thoughts?

No, we're talking about a two year old child who takes off his diaper and spreads his poop around before Mom has a chance to notice that he needs a change. Poop spread around the house is a health hazard and must be contained in a diaper until Mom can change it.

With all due respect, I am not a person who wants poop spread around my house, thank you. In my opinion, any use of duct tape IS an expectation of the child sitting in their own waste for a relatively extended period. People justify keeping others in their own waste for many reasons, whatever the age of the diaper-wearer.

So I suggest teaching the child to speak up, or for Mom to be more observant and change more often. I think it is very hard to teach a child to use the toilet if one acclimates the child to sitting in a poopy diaper when he wants it off. It makes the parents' preferences the central matter. That is my experience. The child is speaking -- he wants out of poopy diapers. Find a way to make it work.

With all due respect, I am not a person who wants poop spread around my house, thank you. In my opinion, any use of duct tape IS an expectation of the child sitting in their own waste for a relatively extended period. People justify keeping others in their own waste for many reasons, whatever the age of the diaper-wearer.

So I suggest teaching the child to speak up, or for Mom to be more observant and change more often. I think it is very hard to teach a child to use the toilet if one acclimates the child to sitting in a poopy diaper when he wants it off. It makes the parents' preferences the central matter. That is my experience. The child is speaking -- he wants out of poopy diapers. Find a way to make it work.

I think that the duct tape can be used as a tool for the child to seek help from mom in getting his diaper changed rather than attempt to do it himself/herself. I don't see how it is different than a child being in a diaper that hasn't yet figured out how to remove it. And in the OP's case, it is hard for the mom to be more observant when it is the middle of the night and she is asleep when the diaper is being taken off and the mess is being made.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would definitely start potty training before you go nuts!

I started potty-training when mine realized they WENT (not that they were about to). It took mine about 4 mo to be potty trained. Then I remember 1 year later my dd1 was able to realize she had to go...I'm glad I didn't wait a year and a half (lots less diapers to deal with/pay for).

Does that make sense? Mine were poop potty-trained first (b/c they are regular and we just read books on the potty during that time of day until they went and then they got into the habit. It took awhile for mine to be able to tell me before they had to pee (my 2yo still has a little trouble and we started training her at 16 mo) but we just kept at it and I would rather clean up some pee or change some sheets once a week or once a month than to have to change that many diapers - or deal with what you're dealing with now...

All of this is to say you don't need to wait until they can tell you they need to go - telling you they WENT means they are aware of their movements and they are ready for the potty-training process...imo :)

I'm not entering the debate part.

But here is my 2cents....

He's ready to potty learn and needs praise. He's over two, he's uncomfortable, he's self aware of all of this and that the diaper is to come off when soiled, and he's not going to "wait" as he's becoming more and more independent. Start teaching him to use to the potty, keep wipes and a potty near his bed and set your alarm throughout the night if need be to check on him :) It can be tiresome, but so worth it in the end.

seriously, we use the footie jammies here now because it's cold, but stick'm on backwards (works better if they're a bit large).

I've been through this. Hang in there.

We did that. I cut the feet off. Make sure they are plenty big around the neck so they aren't unsafe. He later wore then normally without feet so they don't go waste.

And buy Clorox wipes.

And chocolate.

And it will pass.

(And mine was SUPER easy to potty train since he hated being wet!)

Thoughts?

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you tried putting the diapers on him backward? We had to do that... you may need to go up a size (so his rear fits in the front), but with the tabs in the back it's harder for them to streak :p Also, you might get to watch your lil' darlin' go around in circles chasing his tail, trying to take it off the first few times ;)

Sorry, no time to read the other suggestions, but I dress them in overalls put on backwards for a little while and soon they forget about undressing themselves. In my experience, if they won't keep their clothes on when you tell them to, they won't use the potty either. Spring/early summer are terrific times for toilet training..less clothing to pull up and down. Good luck :)

Sorry, no time to read the other suggestions, but I dress them in overalls put on backwards for a little while and soon they forget about undressing themselves. In my experience, if they won't keep their clothes on when you tell them to, they won't use the potty either. Spring/early summer are terrific times for toilet training..less clothing to pull up and down. Good luck :)

It's also warmer, which means less frostbite :lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I started potty-training when mine realized they WENT (not that they were about to). It took mine about 4 mo to be potty trained. Then I remember 1 year later my dd1 was able to realize she had to go...I'm glad I didn't wait a year and a half (lots less diapers to deal with/pay for).

Does that make sense? Mine were poop potty-trained first (b/c they are regular and we just read books on the potty during that time of day until they went and then they got into the habit. It took awhile for mine to be able to tell me before they had to pee (my 2yo still has a little trouble and we started training her at 16 mo) but we just kept at it and I would rather clean up some pee or change some sheets once a week or once a month than to have to change that many diapers - or deal with what you're dealing with now...

All of this is to say you don't need to wait until they can tell you they need to go - telling you they WENT means they are aware of their movements and they are ready for the potty-training process...imo :)

Control over the rectal sphincter usually develops prior to control over the urinary sphincter. I've always thought potty training prior to poop training was backward. I've had great success in my three experiments of poop training first, however have not been able to do a randomized control trial. :tongue_smilie:

My middle one did this. We did duct tape and it worked for awhile. Then she learned to pull it off if she worked on it long enough in the middle of the night. I bought one piece PJ's and used a child safty pin through the zipper at night. That worked. My dd wasn't ready for potty training yet, so the pin worked. I continued to use duct tape during the day. It took her long enough to get the duct tape off that I usually caught her and changed her before she took off the diaper. I am so glad that only one of my kids did this! Beware, she is still my biggest handful!

Melissa

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you tried putting the diapers on him backward? We had to do that... you may need to go up a size (so his rear fits in the front), but with the tabs in the back it's harder for them to streak :p Also, you might get to watch your lil' darlin' go around in circles chasing his tail, trying to take it off the first few times ;)

Yes, my little houdini can get out of backwards diapers as easily as frontwards... overalls & onesies are just as easy. Being #4 he is my most independent child, and doesn't see anything as impossible. He amazed all of us when he was climbing out of his crib at 14 mos. and before age 2 figured out how to TAKE APART our Safety First foot-pedal baby gate so that he could get out. He even figured out on his own how to use a broomstick to unlatch the latch-hook lock we have at the top of our pantry door. Needless to say, we have a security system in our home to keep him in (as opposed to keeping unwanted visitors out).

On a positive note... I tried the backwards sleeper at naptime today and so far he hasn't figured out how to get it off! I will let you all know if we make it through the night :) In the meantime, I am planning my potty training strategy, since it seems like this may be my best option :)

No offense to fans of the duct tape (backwards diapers, etc.) ideas, but if I were wearing a soiled diaper I would hate to have it taped to me so that I couldn't remove it. Though perhaps the point there is using tape so that a child can't easily remove the diaper before asking for help? (We do elimination communication with our kids from infancy, so we don't have the standard experience with diapering here.)

Can you ask him to let you know when he takes his diaper off so that you can help him clean up and get dressed again? If he's getting up in the middle of the night to do this, then perhaps he can come and wake you then rather than after the fact when he's cold and in a dirty bed.

I gave him a fresh supply of pull-ups and wipes, taught him to how to use the potty seat, etc for daytime. Thanks everyone for the encouragement to do this... it seems to be exactly the right advice!

During the day I can keep an eye on him and assist when needed (since he is still not able to wipe himself very well without smearing it all over the world), but it is the night time that is the problem without the ability to monitor while sleeping:glare:. I've talked with him about waking me up, but it seems that he would rather be independent right now with it than to wake me to ask for help. I think it is great that he wants to be in charge of this area, and I have praised his efforts (esp. when it is just wet diapers that he wants to change). The backwards jammies helped tremendously last night & naptime, and he did come in to wake me up this morning to ask for help when he was sure he couldn't do it himself (wooo hooo!)... so I think we are managing this much better!

I can't tell you all how thankful I am for your wisdom!