Menu

I am heir to $10.5 million from a relative in Africa

There was a story on the news last week about a local 83 year old who tried to buy 3 computers. She mentioned to the clerk that she was sending them to Jamaica and he called the police. The scammers told her they needed the computers to process her 10 million dollar lottery winnings. I get so sad thinking about how disappointed she must have been when the cops told her it was a scam. I'm floored that someone could fall for this but it happens ALL THE TIME.

I may be able to help you with the 50% as soon as my banking deal with a business man in China comes through. Please keep this quiet though, as it is a special deal to people with my very high credit rating and I'd hate to mess it up.

At least that is what the email I just got claimed. I just need to give this "helpful" African banker 50% of the money and he will help me get the other 50%.

How do people come up with this stuff?

There's some research out there that suggests that as we age, our "B.S. bit" (forget the technical term) gets turned off. So literally, we are unable to tell if someone is scamming us. Supposedly, it is more frequent in men than women.

I watched it happen firsthand to my Father, who had been a savvy accountant. He didn't have dementia and didn't have alzheimers. What he did have was the absence of the B.S. bit, which means he blew through the majority of my parents' savings chasing these things. Ironically, my Mother, the one with dementia, still had her B.S. bit, and he ignored her protestations because of her budding dementia.

These people are quite the charmers. My sister and I would intercept their phone calls at my parents' home. When we spoke to the solicitors plainly, telling him/her we knew it was a scam, they would unleash the most foul, abusive language ever heard. It would make a sailor blush. (And I'm practically a sailor). :001_huh:

On the upside, there are some folks who attempt to keep them busy with fake marks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/technology/01iht-scam.1.6428742.html?_r=1

This has nothing to do with scams but other things that some elderly people get into trouble. Yesterday I was at the commissary. It has very wide lanes in between the parking slots, plenty for two large cars plus a shopper or two walking. Anyway, I was parked in the non handicapped parking slot next to the farthest handicapped spot. My bagger had two cars and was putting the groceries in my midsize Hyundai Sonata (not some huge thing). The elderly lady got into her car and tried to pull out. There were no cars coming and plenty of room. She had problems. My bagger pulled the car to a slightly different location since she was having problems where no one else would but to help her. She finally made it out. The one side of her car that I saw had scrapes, black marks, and cracks in her rear bumper with a lot more damage there. Obviously this woman keeps hitting things and by the looks of the car, she hits and keeps going hence the long scrapes. She either has vision problems or she has some type of dementia, mental limitations, or some other problem with her neurological system or maybe her medications are making her an unsafe driver. I don't know but I do know she shouldn't be driving. Other people shouldn't be having control of their own finances. It is very sad. I have already prepared myself but am having a hard time convincing my husband. I think it is easier for me since I am so happy that I am still so mobile after 15 years of inflammatory arthritis. I already know that if I live long enough I will have to live in at least a retirement community if not an actual assisted living facility. It is best to get used to this idea when you are younger so you can move there when you need to and look forward to it. I have already seen some great facilities that had things that I would enjoy so I know that what I need is simply to keep having money to move there.

I really feel badly for those whose parents and other relatives are getting scammed.

I heard about a scam where old people are called in the middle of the night by someone identifying themselves as the "favorite grandchild," saying there'd been a car crash, and asking to have money sent immediately via Western Union. I found it amazing that anyone would fall for that. Do that many elderly people have grandchildren with so much NERVE as to refer to themselves as "your favorite grandchild," or where the person forgets their own grandchild's name?!

I heard about a scam where old people are called in the middle of the night by someone identifying themselves as the "favorite grandchild," saying there'd been a car crash, and asking to have money sent immediately via Western Union. I found it amazing that anyone would fall for that. Do that many elderly people have grandchildren with so much NERVE as to refer to themselves as "your favorite grandchild," or where the person forgets their own grandchild's name?!

There was one on the news lately where this happened. Grandma was savvy enough to recognize that the person spoke with a Canadian accent on certain words and that she did not have a Canadian grandson. She was smart and reported it to the authorities.

I always wondered who on earth would buy these emails, but then dh had an employee tell him that she had a new job. She found out about it through email. She was going to help out people in African countries where they don't have banks... and you know the rest... :001_huh:

BTW, I asked our African university student at T-giving (I forget who asked on the other post) about the money, and he said, "Good luck with that." :lol: