Menu

What do I do with two teens who still believe in the Easter Bunny?

I have to tell ya', I never intended on doing Easter baskets, until I looked into the eyes of my sweet little 3 yr old Boy, and he told me all about the Easter Bunny (apparently Santa and the bunny are distantly related cousins,lol), and how he was going to bring him goodies and books, etc. So we started the Easter tradition when my kids were 4 and 1.

They still believe in the da*m rabbit (and the Easter Pig, too, lol) and are expecting goodies.

I have to tell you, I am under a bit of stress right now, and I am so apathetic about this holiday. I have done nothing. In the past, either my mom or a very good family friend have been the Easter Bunny, but my mom is blind and dealing with demensia (sp?), and our friend hasn't said anything about it so far. Do I just go out and buy some Peeps and a couple of books (yep, that's what the da*m rabbit brings here) and call it good? Do I buy less, and then kinda phase it out?

For those of you with teens or grown kids, how long did you keep this up? I honestly remember being the same way- I do not remember ever finding out that there wasn't a bunny or Santa, either. No tramatic events or anything. I still believe in Santa, and we have talked to the kids many times about how there is some Santa inside anyone who has the spirit of giving etc. But the da*n rabbit? Sigh. I don't want to burst their bubble- how many kids still believe in magic at their ages- I do love this about them, but I just have no enthusiasm.

We don't celebrate Easter in much of a religious way, or have special meals or anything, so it has always pretty much been about the dumb baskets. Any thoughts here? Do I just need to suck it up, add book-shopping to my already hectic to-do list this week, and just play along? Do I need a :chillpill:?

Can you tell I am in kind of an apathetic mood about life anyway?

Since they are older, why don't you have them research how Easter started and the true reasons for the holiday to take the focus off the bunny. Maybe they will come up with some new tradition for your family that would not involve baskets but still give them a way to celebrate.

When I was growing up it was all about the baskets. I did not learn the true meaning of Easter until I was an adult.

15 and 13? I have to believe they're playing you and they've known for a long time. If they really don't know, it's time to tell. Then again, we've never done Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I just can't believe kids that age wouldn't have any clue about this. If they really believe it, you need to tell them the truth so they won't be teased. It just ain't cool for a teenager to not understand the difference between fantasy and reality. You don't have to believe in the Easter Bunny to enjoy Peeps, though. I love my Peeps--preferrably slightly stale with a crispy outer crust:)

I'd buy the books and peeps, and not make a big deal out of it- try to phase it out. If they ask a direct question, then tell them "the truth" kwim? I'm sorry your life is so hectic right now, and sorry that you are in a position to feel so apethetic. Hugs (if ya want 'em). I think, whether they "believe" in the bunny or not, the tradition will be soothing to them in a time of turmoil. Wish I lived close so I could pick up some peeps for you, and deliver them. I don't know how well they'd hold up to priority mail :D

I treat Easter baskets about the same as a Christmas stocking- fun little personal care items (shampoo, lotions, chapstick, etc....), books, puzzles, cd's dvd's, stuffed animals, etc... Some years I will get a combo gift if it is something they all want and is within price range. I don't do candy because they get more than enough of that from relatives. I don't think any of my kids still believe in the Eater Bunny, but they still like the tradition of the baskets/gifts.

Moving beyond the fact that I'm not Christian and don't celebrate Easter, lol...

...when I was a teenager my parents sort of phased out the Easter baskets. we still dyed eggs, because we loved to try different things for the dyes (like onion skins) and we all like hardboiled eggs; and they might buy some "community" Easter candy as part of a table centerpiece.

Their big thing was an egg "hunt". My mom found a small ceramic egg (mine) and a small brass egg (my brother's); each year they would put something in the eggs, like a gift certificate, or a pair of funky earrings (for me) or something, and then hide the two eggs somewhere in the house for us to find. I think my parents got the biggest kick out of it, although my brother and I were kind of at the eye-rolling stage by then, while my parents giggled in the background, lol.

Moving beyond the fact that I'm not Christian and don't celebrate Easter, lol...

...when I was a teenager my parents sort of phased out the Easter baskets. we still dyed eggs, because we loved to try different things for the dyes (like onion skins) and we all like hardboiled eggs; and they might buy some "community" Easter candy as part of a table centerpiece.

Their big thing was an egg "hunt". My mom found a small ceramic egg (mine) and a small brass egg (my brother's); each year they would put something in the eggs, like a gift certificate, or a pair of funky earrings (for me) or something, and then hide the two eggs somewhere in the house for us to find. I think my parents got the biggest kick out of it, although my brother and I were kind of at the eye-rolling stage by then, while my parents giggled in the background, lol.

*I* still get an easter basket--at 35!! *I* still believe in the Easter Bunny (and Santa!) and I love it!

Just have fun with it, mom. Give them a small basket of their favorite goodies and just have fun. That's what we do.

Okay. My son is at his classes, so I can't talk to him, but I just spent ten minutes talking (listening) to my Girl about her thoughts on Easter. She knows the pagan origins, told me that for her Easter is about Spring and rebirth, the Christian views of Easter, narrated to me the story of Jesus' crucifixion, Mary Magdalene finding the empty tomb, and the ascension.

Then I asked her about the Bunny, and she told me some of the stories we have read from Circle Round, and that the cool thing about the bunny was the mix of myth (magic) and reality. That he exists and does what he does is the reality part (sigh), and that he doesn't need a key and knows what they like is the magic part.

Folks- she really does believe. There was no doubt of that as I listened to her talk.

Yeah- they love the egg hunt- every year we have to hide the eggs over and over and over and over until there is nothing left but a broken-shelled mess!

*I* still get an easter basket--at 35!! *I* still believe in the Easter Bunny (and Santa!) and I love it!

Just have fun with it, mom. Give them a small basket of their favorite goodies and just have fun. That's what we do.

I think you are right. I think what I really need here may just be as simple as an attitude adjustment! Someone kick me in the tuchus!

Thanks for the book recommendation!

You are welcome.

And, hey, I meant to add that I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing the bunny/basket/egg hunt tradition, but knowing where the traditions began is so darned interesting!

I'd buy the books and peeps, and not make a big deal out of it- try to phase it out. If they ask a direct question, then tell them "the truth" kwim? I'm sorry your life is so hectic right now, and sorry that you are in a position to feel so apethetic. Hugs (if ya want 'em). I think, whether they "believe" in the bunny or not, the tradition will be soothing to them in a time of turmoil. Wish I lived close so I could pick up some peeps for you, and deliver them. I don't know how well they'd hold up to priority mail :D

Thanks for the hugs- I will take them. Like I said before, I think part of this is just my pissy attitude right now. I also think you are right that the tradition will be soothing. And yes, I think I just may buy myself my own box of peeps- that might help the attitude!

PrairieAir and Megsmachine- Yes, I am a bit worried about this part " It just ain't cool for a teenager to not understand the difference between fantasy and reality." I hate to be a bubble-burster. Hmm.

Thanks for the thoughts so far, all.

So don't burst her bubble--make it metaphorical. If she believes in the whole Christian aspect of Easter, then tie the easter bunny in that way.

Or do a google search for the Cryptkeeper's theory on easter and Christmas. :) (it's a funny halloween song..)

Anyway, I digress.. where's my easter basket???????

I had to be the bubble burster for ds about Santa when he seemed to be getting rather old to still be a believer. He was getting old enough that he would have heard it from others, and was beginning to. He even had friends that never did the Santa thing at all. I knew I'd rather share the truth with him in private where he could have a chance to talk it out and make peace with it in his mind and heart than to have him confronted in public by kids (who can be very intolerant and down-right nasty). His sister figured things out for herself at an earlier age than he was, but he would have gone on believing for years if we had let him. Some kids just don't pick up on the "clues", you have to help them along for their own good.

That said, I do have a hard time believing your kids, at their ages, aren't putting you on somewhat by telling you they still believe. Perhaps they think you want the tradition to continue and are afraid of ruining it for you or hurting your feelings. In any case, if it was me I'd talk it out with them and get it out in the open. Let them know that just because they don't believe anymore doesn't mean the fun and the traditions have to stop. Sometimes kids won't admit they know because they think that will be then end of it.

Good luck, and yes, do go shopping either way.

Gosh, I don't know what to say. I was sure your kids were just playing along so they could continue the fun traditions. Even though we never believed in the Easter Bunny, we did Easter baskets when I was little. When my mom just abruptly cut off the tradition one year with no explanation, we were bummed. We were still pretty young and I didn't realize then that a big part of the reason was probably lack of money.

What am I saying? Shoot, I don't know. I guess I would work on separating fact from fiction a little more and make sure they understand that, but I would keep the fun traditions as long as everyone is into it. Like I said, you are never, ever too old for Peeps!

And I hope my first answer didn't sound snarky. I've known kids who did continue to pretend for that reason.

it is time the Bunny brought a goodie basket for YOU;)

My kids are 16, 14, 11. This year I told the three who are NOT autistic that their brother was the only one for whom the Bunny would be leaving an egg hunt.Here the Bunny has to hop into each kid's room after they are asleep to leave the eggs - otherwise the four cats and the dog would have their own egg hunt before anyone got out of bed! Last year the Bunny was awful tired waiting for the "tiny tots" to go to sleep so the hopping and egg-hiding could happen. So this year the Bunny plans to hide eggs only in the room of the 16-yr-old son who has autism and will probably believe in the Bunny (and Santa...and the little Irish guy who had to run around town looking for @#$%^&* chocolate gold coins yesterday!) forever!!!

I told the three others that YES they still would get a basket with AS MUCH CANDY as their brother. I, er, the Bunny just wasn't going to hide eggs in their rooms anymore.

You'd think I'd told them we were going to shoot, cook and eat the dog!!! But the Bunny is standing firm! Only one egg hunt for one kid this year!!!!

I would tell them, or someday you'll have children like mine that have known all along the truth, tell them straight up how it is. I have to be careful that my children don't burst their cousins bubble. :001_rolleyes:

You could still do the baskets, but tell them the truth.

Kristine

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and opinions on this folks. If nothing else, I am feeling better about the basket shopping,lol.

But I have a question: Is there no one else besides Toni and me who were never told "the truth" and have done just fine as adults? I have absolutely no recollection whatsoever of ever being told there was no Bunny, or that my folks were Santa- none at all. I have no traumatic memories of the kids in high school teasing me about being a believer (it isn't like the topic comes up a great deal, as folks just assume you feel the same way they do about things like that) of magic. I do plan on talking to the kids (dh first) about this, but many of your posts leave me wondering......What harm is there in keeping up the illusion?

I really appreciate how kind y'all have been in this thread, how non-snarky and considerate we have all been with each others' different opinions and beliefs. Thanks for that.

Needle--some believe that it's lying to your kids, so they don't do it at all. For those that do do it, they prefer to tell the "true" meaning of the story and then add "But santa is only pretend for others". Like they might tell the story of SinterKlaus (or Santa, same thing) and his heritage and how he used to leave something for the poor. And then they'll "but the americanized version is Santa and this is what he does"... and so on.

Easter is purely about the Christian aspect of it. Never was for me, but for some it is.

The point is, some feel it is lying to your kids. I don't and neither did my mom. Both of my girls know Santa, et. al, are not "real" but we have fun playing--that to me, is the most important part of it.

The basket came from this site.

Thanks! I will check it out.

I don't know about blogs. I'm neglecting mine, or I'd give it a try. :D

I know! I miss you blogging. I still check every couple of days, though. You are part of my daily habit. Guess it could be worse than being addicted to reading blogs.:tongue_smilie:

Someone else told me once that when it comes to talking about Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and Jesus, we can see the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus even though they are not real, but we can not see Jesus and he is real. So we didn't want to get our kids confused when we were teaching them about Jesus. Why can we not see Jesus when we can see Santa Claus & the Easter bunny? make sense? Anyway, that's the way we look at it.

Kristine

The point is, some feel it is lying to your kids. I don't and neither did my mom. Both of my girls know Santa, et. al, are not "real" but we have fun playing--that to me, is the most important part of it.

Yes, I think the fun of it is important. My kids know the religious significance of both of these holidays, but that isn't the focus for us. It is the fun that carries it through for us. It does really make me want to talk to my ds when I pick him up, and ask him about his thoughts. I think deep down he knows, and just wants to keep up the illusion. But then again, I have to admit, that deep down, I do still really believe in Santa- the Santa in all of us.

I think deep down he knows, and just wants to keep up the illusion. But then again, I have to admit, that deep down, I do still really believe in Santa- the Santa in all of us.

Yes, it is important not to crush their ability to be an idealist, yet you want to give them the tools and perspective to carry out those ideals in a world of realists. I think you already know that. :) Best of luck.

PrairieAir and Megsmachine- Yes, I am a bit worried about this part " It just ain't cool for a teenager to not understand the difference between fantasy and reality." I hate to be a bubble-burster. Hmm.

I feel the need to add, I have been thinking about this and although I wouldn't want my child to be made fun of or embarrassed I wouldn't want others to dictate our life either. I mean kids have to face the "real world" soon enough, how can it hurt for them to believe as long as possible, KWIM? But then on the flip side I wouldn't want my kids to feel deceived by me perpetuating the myth of the Easter bunny either.

Well as you can s ee my thoughts are clear as mud. :lol:

I say have fun with it! Let them be kids as long as they can!

Even if they are playing with you, it is fun, isn't it? Just get small baskets, give them small items, no big ticket items, and just have fun!

I'm in the camp of let's just have a little fun with it. Like Toni said. Really special, fond memories for me involve the mystery of it all. Shared with my dear grandmother who believed with all her being (in front of us) and was giddy with excitement over her treats! And she was one of most amazing examples of what being a Christian is as well -- she lived it in a lovely quiet way. She was one of a kind and I miss her dearly.

She LOVED getting a visit from the Easter Bunny. She would get so excited with me about trying to wait up for Santa.

I grew up. I'm ok. I'm a little weird, but I think that's more interesting. I am not terribly warped nor unrealistic about things (well, most of the time). For us, it works and is all in good fun. Life has so much yuck that this kind of fun is nice for us. Things will be different when mine figure it out. I hope they don't for a while. They do know that others do not believe, and that is okay and their choice. But we choose to do that, and it's okay too!

Take them aside individually and ask them to give you some ideas and involve them to the point that they become the bunny for eachother.

It will be a sweet transition and if they keep it up for a few years, it may help thier relationship stay close as they go to college.

Ah, my sister in law was still insisting at age 30 that they had to do the whole Christmas stocking thing. At age 31, her parents told me this (when SIL was out of the room,) sighing that they hoped she was finally over it and tradition or no tradition they weren't going to do it anymore. Despite my best attempts to be polite, my jaw hit the table. In my family, it was the other way around. We had to sit down and gently break it to Mum that we were all over it, and it really was only necessary to buy us one present at Christmas, and one egg at Easter. Actually, my brother and I used to buy a big bag of baby eggs and wander around the block leaving eggs on people's doorsteps :)

Your kids know very well that there is no such thing and just want free chokkies! I suggest you do something to really pull their leg. I don't know what. Maybe look heartbroken at the idea that the Easter bunny is real, sob that he hasn't brought you anything in years and run wailing to your room that the Easter bunny must hate you and refuse to come out until after you've eaten a hidden stash of chocolates and enjoyed a good book.

:P

Rosie

Take them aside individually and ask them to give you some ideas and involve them to the point that they become the bunny for each other.

I was able to talk to my son while grocery shopping today. He tells me he figured out the Easter Bunny first, and then Santa, about 3 yrs ago. He still enjoys the fun of it and didn't want to ruin it for his little sister. He wasn't traumatized, and I asked him if he felt "lied to" about any aspect of this, and he said of course not.

Remudamom- I also asked him if at any point he thought we were silly for pretending this, and he was appalled that anyone would think that, lol.

So- I did tell him that I was feeling tired of doing it, and he volunteered. I will most definitely hint that Papa and I would enjoy baskets too this year!

I just want to thank everyone for joining me in this thread- I feel a great deal better, and am even feeling a bit excited for the upcoming day- I may even buy a ham!

I hope that you do know that if you don't get out there and get those great kids some goodies, the ghost of Easter past is going to come and get you and take you down the d.... rabbit hole forever......

LOL, sorry you're feeling stressed. I've got Easter this year sandwiched between two birthdays and a teenage son who wants to entertain his first real girlfriend, so I'm right there with ya. But one little trip to a local drug store or superstore and you'll be set.....

I'm a big fan of promoting the belief in magic forever, so I'll vote for suck it up and just go shop,

Regena

I have to tell ya', I never intended on doing Easter baskets, until I looked into the eyes of my sweet little 3 yr old Boy, and he told me all about the Easter Bunny (apparently Santa and the bunny are distantly related cousins,lol), and how he was going to bring him goodies and books, etc. So we started the Easter tradition when my kids were 4 and 1.

They still believe in the da*m rabbit (and the Easter Pig, too, lol) and are expecting goodies.

I have to tell you, I am under a bit of stress right now, and I am so apathetic about this holiday. I have done nothing. In the past, either my mom or a very good family friend have been the Easter Bunny, but my mom is blind and dealing with demensia (sp?), and our friend hasn't said anything about it so far. Do I just go out and buy some Peeps and a couple of books (yep, that's what the da*m rabbit brings here) and call it good? Do I buy less, and then kinda phase it out?

For those of you with teens or grown kids, how long did you keep this up? I honestly remember being the same way- I do not remember ever finding out that there wasn't a bunny or Santa, either. No tramatic events or anything. I still believe in Santa, and we have talked to the kids many times about how there is some Santa inside anyone who has the spirit of giving etc. But the da*n rabbit? Sigh. I don't want to burst their bubble- how many kids still believe in magic at their ages- I do love this about them, but I just have no enthusiasm.

We don't celebrate Easter in much of a religious way, or have special meals or anything, so it has always pretty much been about the dumb baskets. Any thoughts here? Do I just need to suck it up, add book-shopping to my already hectic to-do list this week, and just play along? Do I need a :chillpill:?

Can you tell I am in kind of an apathetic mood about life anyway?

Are you sure they still *believe* and are not just humoring you? We humored our parents long after we stopped "believing."

I think you are right. I think what I really need here may just be as simple as an attitude adjustment! Someone kick me in the tuchus!

Here you go! [A kick for Needleroozer from a fellow Easter Bunny agnostic.] And a reminder -- the days are long, and the years are very very short. And I agree with Remudamom -- they are likely not wishing to burst your bubble of Bunny Belief. :lol:

[OOhh, I'm an alliterating fool!]

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and opinions on this folks. If nothing else, I am feeling better about the basket shopping,lol.

But I have a question: Is there no one else besides Toni and me who were never told "the truth" and have done just fine as adults? I have absolutely no recollection whatsoever of ever being told there was no Bunny, or that my folks were Santa- none at all. I have no traumatic memories of the kids in high school teasing me about being a believer (it isn't like the topic comes up a great deal, as folks just assume you feel the same way they do about things like that) of magic. I do plan on talking to the kids (dh first) about this, but many of your posts leave me wondering......What harm is there in keeping up the illusion?

I really appreciate how kind y'all have been in this thread, how non-snarky and considerate we have all been with each others' different opinions and beliefs. Thanks for that.

What we did with our kids was to be VERY excited about Santa and the EB, but from the very beginning said, "Ooooh, pretending about SC and EB is so much fun! I love waiting for Santa!" and "Oooh, those eggs we colored last night are hiding! I think I'll pretend the EB did it. Would you like to pretend, too?" And you know, they did NOT, til they were ready to "give up" believing, key in on the word "pretend"? Both of them, about seven, came to me and asked it SC was real. I reminded them that we pretend about Santa every year and asked if THEY thought he was real. Not sure, they said. But they were PRETTY sure he was real. Another year of almost-just-in-case believing, and then they smiled knowingly but never (after dire warnings of doom to be heaped on their heads if they deliberately told a "believer") spilled the beans to others.

Maybe you just need to slip in the phrase, "Boy, I sure have loved pretending about the EB with you all these years. It sure is fun, huh?" Just casually. Run it up the flagpole, see if it flies. :001_smile:

Sometime in my teens, my brother and I decided that Mom's idea of a stocking didn't match our idea of a stocking, and the small amount of money we had to spend on each other didn't amount to much of a Christmas present, so we asked Mom (or maybe just told her, *sigh*) that we wanted to be responsible for each other's stockings. We knew just what to get. (Double-stuffed Oreos, yes. Anything without sugar, no.:tongue_smilie:)

Anyway, we both loved it and kept it up until I got married.

Your kids might enjoy doing something similar with the Easter baskets.

I was able to talk to my son while grocery shopping today. He tells me he figured out the Easter Bunny first, and then Santa, about 3 yrs ago. He still enjoys the fun of it and didn't want to ruin it for his little sister. He wasn't traumatized, and I asked him if he felt "lied to" about any aspect of this, and he said of course not.

Remudamom- I also asked him if at any point he thought we were silly for pretending this, and he was appalled that anyone would think that, lol.

So- I did tell him that I was feeling tired of doing it, and he volunteered. I will most definitely hint that Papa and I would enjoy baskets too this year!

I just want to thank everyone for joining me in this thread- I feel a great deal better, and am even feeling a bit excited for the upcoming day- I may even buy a ham!

Yay! Good for you, good for him. Enjoy your Peeps!

Oh yay! A happy ending. As far as I'm concerned Santa Claus is still real - my mom never told me different and I'm sticking with that. The Easter Bunny never made sense, even when I was little so I don't feel like I lost anything there. Now,the leprachauns - they always bring chocolate. Every single year. My 8 yo is still on the verge, so we'll do the hiding of eggs and Easter baskets for him. The older boys will be getting a small gift card to a local bookstore and some new boxer shorts (in festive colors). Little guy will probably get a small Lego set in addition to the above.

I still fix baskets for my kids. It's a tradition in our family and I think it's a nice thing to do. I like the idea of kids fixing the baskets for one another and I'm going to do that next year. This year, I finished the Easter shopping already.

The DC tried to get me to believe that they still think a large rabbit brings Easter baskets and Santa really comes into our house to deliver presents at Christmas. It didn't fly. Honestly, at my kids' ages if they did truly believe in the rabbit & a real live Santa, I'd worry that something was wrong with them.

The spirit of giving is in our hearts and is personified by the Santa story, is what I told them this year when I got tired of a couple of the kids pretending to believe that Santa is a real person.

I was glad to give up the "real" Santa because, as far as I am concerned, he is all about giving and toys -- and my kids don't want toys any more. Now the spirit of Santa is all about giving *to others* in this house -- not about receiving at all. I can't make myself believe in doing anything in the spirit of the Easter Bunny, though -- so I figure the baskets are just fun and a harbinger of spring.

I didn't even know that Easter was the most important Christian holiday until I was an adult -- as a kid, I thought it was all about bunnies and candy.