Menu

Is it just me or are some clothing departments having 80's flashback.

I was walking through walmart and there was a display of leg warmers and shirts similar to what would have been worn in the 80's. I gotta say what wasn't nice then is still not nice today. Has the fashion industry lost it's creativity? I am not finding anything I really want to buy this season.

I was walking through walmart and there was a display of leg warmers and shirts similar to what would have been worn in the 80's.

I noticed the 80's clothes in the stores last spring/early summer. MIL gave dd6 a shirt this past summer and I blurted out "This is so 80's!" :ohmy: She didn't see it. Big pink and blue horizontal stripes, white collar that looked like it was waiting to be turned up. Long length, down past the hips. Very preppy looking.

DD has a long torso, and I don't allow midriff revelation, so she can now be stylin without having to argue with me about it. I don't find the preppy look all that attractive, but if she likes it and feels fashion forward in it, it's one I can certainly live with.

For myself, I prefer non-preppy classics. Longish flowy skirts in either dark cotton knits or rayon prints. Knit tops. Longish blazers, handwoven if possible. Or alternatively, NYDJ blue or black jeans with the same tops or possibly cool t-shirts advertising some slogan, concert, science museum or vacation spot, topped with a hoodie or denim jacket. None of these things are ever really in style or out of style. I just keep wearing them, they are more or less timeless. Like me ;)

the 80's are everywhere. It's awesome! (insert smacking gum)

My daughter came out in black leggin's; black and white thick striped shirt that covered to her mid-thigh; black socks bunched accordingly; some black "wrestling" style shoes; and finished the look with a side pony tail. All she needed was some big, black hoop earrings with matching bracelets or beads and she'd be dope. :)

Just pray that the shoulder pads stay away! I always secretly hope for big hair, though :) I just can't help it!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
left off an "er"

I've been thinking the same thing! What's up with the 80's clothing?

How about the no-heel suede boots that are kinda crunched up? I had a pair of those in 1985 and thought I was stylin!

Yup, my standard fare for 1984. I think I wore them everyday.

I've been eyeing the pink Converse at Target. They didn't have my size otherwise I'd be wearing them tonight. :lol: I'll probably be conservative and go with the lo-tops instead of high tops.

I laughed when I saw the red/black flannel shirts. That's a classic.

When I was a kid, my dad was going to take me to a father-daughter dance, & he came out of the bedroom dressed up in his very best blue jeans. BOOT CUT blue jeans. I would not go w/ him in "bell bottoms," lol, & he, w/ a mystified look on his face, changed pants. (I can't believe he did that for me. That's in his top 10 sweetest dad moves, imo.)

BUT when "bell bottoms" began to look appealing while I was in college, after the long-awaited capris of the 50s finally, FINALLY came back, I realized:

My kids will be wearing 80s styles. :svengo:

I've been waiting for it for over 10 yrs, bracing myself for the last yr or so, as the late 70s fashions made their way through, & then when Michael Jackson died? Oh, if I'd had the resources to start right away, I think I could have been a fashion millionaire. By now, though, the 80s trend is getting pretty obvious. By this time next yr, I expect there will be new takes on finger-less gloves & something sparkly for everyone.

I thought I was resisting 70s styles on principle as a kid. Now that I've lived through its "in" phase recently & *saw* it, I have to wonder...am I against 80s styles on principle (as in, it violates the Form of Fashion--lol, or will I be won over again? Maybe I'm just as trendy in my taste as the next gal.

Surely I can resist that awful stuff. But...I always wanted leg warmers & never owned a pair....

:lol:

I've been eyeing the pink Converse at Target. They didn't have my size otherwise I'd be wearing them tonight. :lol: I'll probably be conservative and go with the lo-tops instead of high tops.

I bought my 4 year old a pair of pink Converse high tops last month. She is now considered the fashionista of her Sunday School class!

I always used to joke with dh that I hoped (conservative) button-down shirts would come back in when oldest dd hit her teenage years. And here they come, just in time. I will be glad to see some non-slinky clothing options.

As for the stirrup pants and shoulder pads... the past can keep 'em! Big hair could be fun, though...

Guest Virginia Dawn

I am really loving the a-line skirts being back. They are my all time favorite.

I never wore stirrup pants or leggings. I cut all the shoulder pads out of my tops, and I never had big hair or big belts. No sequins or extra zippers for me.

I did wear colored jeans or carpenter pants, button down shirts with vests, and t-shirts. I was so boring.

All I can say is, I'm relieved I'm no longer seeing the Woodstock-warmed-over fashions cluttering up the stores like they were this summer.

Yes, I noticed that, too. It was decade-dissonance for me this year when we went from maxi-dresses to pencil leg jeans in like, two hours. Some stores had the woodstock clothes racked right next to the 80s items, for a while there, and that hurt.

I work on a college campus. The young folks now are, on the average, 15 - 20 pounds heavier than we were in the 80s, so that is also a cause for concern, both in a fashion kinda way, but also, quite seriously.

What really gets my goat is that I had an awful aversion to bell bottoms when they first came out, again, a few years ago. There was no way, no how I was going to wear them. I finally gave in a year or so ago, and for the first time in my life, started wearing non-highwaters (Levi's tall sizes rock!), and now they're out again? Seriously. What kind of jeans to old ladies wear now? I'm not going back to pencil legs.

Edited by Nicole M

Wow, like totally!!! Loving that the 80's are BACK!!! Now I can actually give my girls fashion advice.

I already bought myself some leg warmers, pink converse shoes, some long sweater dresses, and all those Neon colored shirts.

WHOO HOO. Frankie Goes to Hollywood says "RELAX" :D

It's Hip to Be Square:lol:

Yes! Oh my yes! I noticed the t-shirts this weekend. Skinny jeans I LOVE. Leg warmers I can cope with; in fact come winter I may even celebrate their return. But

At the clothing store the other day I even saw.....STIRRUP PANTS. :svengo:

:eek:

and

Anything....Everything....Except the Shoulder Pads!!!!

AMEN SISTER!!!

80s confession: I had a denim jacket covered with real buttons. perhaps that is why I love facebook flair. Anyway I bought a new canvas purse. It's olive green (okay I got it from the army surplus store). I already put a charm bracelet on it to make it more feminine, but I'm thinking of digging out the few buttons I have left from the 80s and putting them on the bag. I might do it as a social experiment. :D

When I finally found stirrups in TALL, it was heavenly. Plus they were a spandex blend (like today's jeans) so they were incredibly comfortable.

Big hair is a blessing to those of us w/ waves or curl! This "Woodstock retread" stick-straight hair is impossible here in humid-land.

Oh, yes.

At the clothing store the other day I even saw.....STIRRUP PANTS. :svengo:

Hahahahaha!

I got a phone call that consisted of those two words. My dear, beloved best friend called me from Old Navy in a state of shock to say, "Stirrup pants. Hell to the no!"

(I secretly hated stirrup pants...and if I see jelly shoes, I'm runnin', but maybe crocs have allowed us to dodge that particular bullet?)