Menu

Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology

Pongo

Looks great:

Definition of Life, Sets, Fractions, Germination of Seeds, Area of a Rectangle, Volume of a Cube, Ordinal Numbers, Diameter and Circumference of a Circle, Definition of π, 2% of 500, Four Ways Plants Make New Plants, d = rt, 20% Discount, the Five Kingdoms, Phyla, Classes, Orders, Families, Genera, Species, Your Brain, Conversion Factors, Where the Non-Water Mass of a Plant Comes From—Plants Don’t Eat Dirt, Subsets of Sets, Digestion, Eyes, Negative Numbers, Dominant Genes, Genotypes, Phenotypes, Blood, Staying Alive, Solving Algebraic Equations, Volume of a Cylinder, Word Problems, Breathing, Chlorophyll vs. Hemoglobin vs. Hemocyanin, Avogadro’s Number, Stoichiometry, the Whole Numbers, a Proof that Division by Zero is Not Permitted, Bones, the Integumentary System, Epidermis and Dermis, Meiosis and Mitosis, Chromosomes, DNA, Alleles, Changing Your Phenotype.

Whoa, Stanley Schmidt mixed biology in with the pre-algebra book? :confused:

I don't think we're going to be on biology in the science cycle when my oldest is ready for pre-algebra. I suppose I could shuffle the order around to make it line up but that's really annoying. :rant:

Whoa, Stanley Schmidt mixed biology in with the pre-algebra book? :confused:

I don't think we're going to be on biology in the science cycle when my oldest is ready for pre-algebra. I suppose I could shuffle the order around to make it line up but that's really annoying. :rant:

Well, there are two more pre-Algebra books planned - one mixing in Physics, and the other Economics, if I recall correctly.

I don't believe you have to do them in order, or at all - I think he came out with them in response to many people saying that their kids got through Fractions and Decimals/Percents (he had said that's all they needed before starting Algebra), and yet not being old/mature enough for the logic in Algebra - I think these books are intended as place-holders till your kid's ready for Algebra if they finished the other books on the young side (and mixing in the applied topics is a way to keep it fresh/interesting).

I love LOF, but the pre-algebra/biology combo isn't appealing to me. I'll probably try it anyway, and see if we can warm up to it. :(

As far as the other two books -- Stanley has been sick. Completion of the next two pre-algebra books may be further away than he (or we) had hoped. :(

As far as the other two books -- Stanley has been sick. Completion of the next two pre-algebra books may be further away than he (or we) had hoped. :(
It sounds like he's recovering well and, after getting some other books to the printer (LOF: Linear Algebra, another printing of Beginning Algebra (few changes), and 2nd printing Advanced Algebra), he'll be starting on Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics. Woo hoo!

Ok, I hate to be a potential spoilsport, but I need to know. Considering this includes biology and knowing he's Christian, how neutral is it? IOW, is it written from a YE/creationist perspective or not?
I've read every word in LOF thus far and haven't found this to be an issue, though there are certainly Christian characters and, particularly in the high school books, references to Christianity. I'll update within a day or two of receiving Biology.

I've read every word in LOF thus far and haven't found this to be an issue, though there are certainly Christian characters and, particularly in the high school books, references to Christianity. I'll update within a day or two of receiving Biology.

Please do - I've been planning on using this at the end of the year, and I'll admit this potential problem hadn't crossed my mind...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I hate to be a potential spoilsport, but I need to know. Considering this includes biology and knowing he's Christian, how neutral is it? IOW, is it written from a YE/creationist perspective or not?
A big black box (as for redacted text) appears in the introduction in a section listing things that aren't talked about. An asterisk leads to a footnote cheekily declaring, "See. I didn't mention Evolution even once."

Mutations are discussed in some depth and detail. I've not yet been over it with a fine toothed comb, but a cursory look a the relevant chapters shows nothing remotely YE or Creationist. [i'm using the last term as a synonym for one who doesn't believe in Evolution, though I do know that these viewpoints are no incompatible for all.] What I've seen so far looks good, though I haven't done any of the question sets... the heart of LOF.

I should be finished by Monday morning. More then.

A big black box (as for redacted text) appears in the introduction in a section listing things that aren't talked about. An asterisk leads to a footnote cheekily declaring, "See. I didn't mention Evolution even once."

I was sitting on my front porch reading my copy and laughed out loud when I came to this! Maybe that means I've seen too many TWTM board battles?

I have never used LOF, but I have been checking into all the posts about it with great interest. I would really like to give the pre-algebra/biology a try. I went to the website and I did not see that there is a solutions manual. Does this exist? Are there answers with solutions in the student book? Also, I know there is a story line to these books, can you jump into pre-algebra and know what the story is all about?

Mine arrived today! I'm very disappointed, however. I guess that now that he has outsourced shipping he's no longer signing the copies. So we got Decimals/Percents and PreAlgebra, both unsigned. :001_huh:

BUT, they look great! Any questions about the Pre-Algebra? I'd be happy to look and report back.

No autograph? :confused: Is that price of fame for LOF? :tongue_smilie:At least I have three signed. I shall never sell them. :lol:

I went to the website and I did not see that there is a solutions manual. Does this exist? Are there answers with solutions in the student book?
The solutions are in the text.

Also, I know there is a story line to these books, can you jump into pre-algebra and know what the story is all about?
You can jump right in. In the books before Algebra, Fred is a 3 feet tall 5-1/2 year old math professor at KITTENS University who eats next to nothing (he just never got used to it). He doesn't grow. He doesn't age much past 6 throughout the series, and you don't get his back story until LoF: Calculus.

Question:

Are the pre-algebra books supposed to be stand alone or is it that the various flavors (biology, physics,economics) are part of a series that all together constitute the entire pre-algebra course?

I hope I made sense. I just rolled out of bed.

Good question. Makes sense to me, but I just rolled out of bed for the second time this morning. :lol::lol:

Question:

Are the pre-algebra books supposed to be stand alone or is it that the various flavors (biology, physics,economics) are part of a series that all together constitute the entire pre-algebra course?

The author had always said that the Fractions and Decimals/Percents books had all the info you needed to start Algebra. But he also said he didn't think kids should start Algebra till they were 13 or so, and lots of kids were finishing the first two books at 10/11 years old. He's writing the three Pre-Algebra books to give those kids something to do till their brains ripen enough for Algebra. I'd say all those books are optional.

Here are links to two old threads that both have quotes from emails from the author further explaining his intentions with the new Pre-Algebra series, as well as saying that the new books will be about 80% review of the previous two books (I think the topical aspect is to keep it interesting).

Thread 1

Thread 2

Hmmm, if each of the pre-Algebra books has a different story in it, we're going to need to get all of them. Not because my dc need all that pre-Algebra, but because they love the story. But from now on I'm going to buy directly from Polka Dot Press since he doesn't really make any money from the vendors (keeps the cost low for us homeschoolers, which I appreciate.)

My dc love them, but I keep wondering why he isn't living with his parents even if he does have an IQ of 300 ;). I guess we'll have to wait until Calculus to find that out.

I've had to set it aside because of particular reference to religion I have to work through my feelings over. The comment is not science related.

I've been over the genetics chapters and see nothing I would even begin to characterize as anti-evolution, and quite a bit that would lead naturally into it. DD the Elder read it (she "just happened" to find it), and was under the impression that it supported an evolutionary viewpoint even though speciation is not discussed. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the case, but I see nothing to worry about.

I've had to set it aside because of particular reference to religion I have to work through my feelings over. The comment is not science related.

Are you saying that you've set aside the whole LoF PreAlgebra Biology? Is the reference something that can be redacted or just discussed and put into a context? Please share. We're in Fractions now so, its not a big rush for me, but now I'm very curious.

Are you saying that you've set aside the whole LoF PreAlgebra Biology? Is the reference something that can be redacted or just discussed and put into a context? Please share. We're in Fractions now so, its not a big rush for me, but now I'm very curious.
Oh, sorry. I mean I've set aside my reading of it until I work through this. I have little doubt that we'll still use it... and it can certainly be skipped or spun. I'm mostly disappointed.

Here's the text (page 138). It comes after an explanation of how the student must get used to solving equations because they'll be doing it for a long time to come.

... To get into the Masters of Business Administration program at many colleges requires a knowledge of calculus -- and calculus certainly requires algebra. The only place where a knowledge of solving equations
won't
be required is on the "exam" to get into Heaven.
(A complete answer key to that exam can be obtained at no charge. Look in the yellow pages of your phone book between Chiropractors and Cigar Dealers.)

As I said before, I've read every word of LoF thus far, and while there are frequent references to Christianity, this is the closest Schmidt has come to proselytizing. I wish the bolded text (my bolding) hadn't been added.

That's not just coming close, in my book; that's flat-out proselytizing. I'm very disappointed.

Do you really believe that that is him trying to convert you? It just seems like a comment to me. Maybe even not an appropriate comment to put in this book, but IMO definately not trying to convert you. If it was him trying to convert you it was a really bad try.

Do you really believe that that is him trying to convert you? It just seems like a comment to me. Maybe even not an appropriate comment to put in this book, but IMO definately not trying to convert you. If it was him trying to convert you it was a really bad try.
Do I think Schmidt is consciously proselytizing? No. But Schmidt is very likeable (he's the narrator), as is Fred. For Schmidt to say essentially 'Church is the answer' is a bit much from my POV as a secular homeschooler, no matter how he meant it.

[Edited to add: the text below refers entirely to other books in the series.]

Up until this, almost all the religious references have been either (1) of an everyday nature (Fred mentioning Sunday School, or two characters going to pre-marital counselling with their pastor); (2) more personal references, but in context for a character... for example the chaplain in (IIRC) Advanced Algebra; or, (3) occasional references to the 10 Commandments, etc. in questions or by the narrator. There have been two previous discussions of the afterlife that I recall -- one rather whimsical involving a fantasy of Fred's while trapped in the children's area of a book store ("Fred's" thoughts) and another in which Schmidt as narrator posits that a dead pet will almost certainly be in Heaven awaiting Fred (apparently contrary to a strict reading of scripture), because if Fred needed it to be happy in Heaven, the llama would be in Heaven.

Edited by nmoira

When someone writes in my child's textbook that the way to get into heaven--that, in fact, the "complete answer key" to doing so--is through "church," yes, I consider that proselytizing to my child. There's no "maybe" about it for me; it is absolutely not an appropriate comment to put in this book.

Do I think Schmidt is consciously proselytizing? No. But Schmidt is very likeable (he's the narrator), as is Fred. For Schmidt to say essentially 'Church is the answer' is a bit much from my POV as a secular homeschooler, no matter how he meant it.

Up until this, almost all the religious references have been either (1) of an everyday nature (Fred mentioning Sunday School, or two characters going to pre-marital counselling with their pastor); (2) more personal references, but in context for a character... for example the chaplain in (IIRC) Advanced Algebra; or, (3) occasional references to the 10 Commandments, etc. in questions or by the narrator. There have been two previous discussions of the afterlife that I recall -- one rather whimsical involving a fantasy of Fred's while trapped in the children's area of a book store ("Fred's" thoughts) and another in which Schmidt as narrator posits that a dead pet will almost certainly be in Heaven awaiting Fred (apparently contrary to a strict reading of scripture), because if Fred needed it to be happy in Heaven, the llama would be in Heaven.

I completely respect your choices and your right to have your own opinions. However, I don't think that was his intention. It's very easy when a person's life is very intertwined in their beliefs (no matter what the belief is) for it to come out in every area of their lives. Does that make sense? For example, I used to breed dogs and was very enthusiastic about it and spent a great deal of my time going to shows, etc. So, naturally, dog "stuff" came up in pretty much every conversation that I had just in passing. I was, however, by no means, trying to convince anyone else to become a dog breeder. Hope that makes sense.

From your POV I can see how you do not want something that you don't believe in to look like a fantasy to your children. People that they love can greatly influence our children. That is why my children's relatives are not allowed to smoke around my children. Well, 1 of the reasons.

Anyways, just because he mentioned his beliefs does not mean he was trying to convert anyone. It would be best if a different word was used IMO.

Anyways, just because he mentioned his beliefs does not mean he was trying to convert anyone. It would be best if a different word was used IMO.
I agree, and I'm not of the opinion that he's trying to convert anyone. FWIW, his beliefs are mentioned often throughout the series -- hardly at all in Fractions and Decimals & Percents, but with some frequency in the high school texts. This particular comment is different. I hope he considers removing it from the text for subsequent printings. Edited by nmoira
typo

That's why I'm disappointed rather than angry. Schmidt is a very likeable guy; and I don't believe it's an aggressive or malicious (and possibly not even a conscious) attempt to proselytize.

I think even my professed athiest(sp?) husband would find it amusing. My somewhat religious self did. Absolutely no offense taken in my household.

My 11yo ds would probably just roll his eyes and pull a wry face. My atheist husband and atheist self didn't take offense. ;) We're just disappointed because we've enjoyed the "Fred" books and were put off by the inappropriateness and, hmmm, sneakiness, I guess, of it.

and were put off by the inappropriateness and, hmmm, sneakiness, I guess, of it.

This pretty accurately sums up how we feel about quite a bit of the educational material out there used by public schools and available for use in homeschools -- however, our opinion of what's inappropriate is when authors purposely take God out of everything and state that their secular worldview is the only acceptable/reasonable/logical one. We've had to repeatedly decide if we want to use those materials and discuss the controversial parts or if we want to skip those parts and use the resource anyway or if we simply don't use the resource.

I just find the above discussion so ironic in that, were the tables turned and a beloved text series made more blatant comments seeming to promote atheism or Islam or Jainism or evolution or whatever, we Christian homeschoolers would say the exact same things about the inappropriateness! It just goes to show that we are all united in that we care deeply about educating our children and need to screen our materials for worldview. What a blessing it is to have so many choices to do so!

I am glad for the head's up, as a secular HSer.

I think it must be really hard to write for the HS market. A bunch of people would complain it didn't have enough religion, another bunch that there was too much... no matter what you wrote! I don't think my kids would care either way as they seem to have made their minds up quite a while ago, and independently.

I might have a little "oh, what is THAT in there for?" moment, but my boys would gloss right over it to get to the meat. They wouldn't care. Not one bit.

I am sorry that all writers/educators/publishers etc etc don't have my exact viewpoint, so I could live a blissfully simple HS life... ;)

The implication being that a church has the answer because the answer that Christians believe in would not be in the phone book anyway. Church is not the answer for Christians. :tongue_smilie:.

We still like LOF, but I'm one that finds issues with almost everything at some level. So even being a conservative Christian homeschooler, I would just move on there.

I think he's just being cheeky. My pre-algebra kid will probably catch it and comment on it, and that's fine.

I just find the above discussion so ironic in that, were the tables turned and a beloved text series made more blatant comments seeming to promote atheism or Islam or Jainism or evolution or whatever, we Christian homeschoolers would say the exact same things about the inappropriateness! It just goes to show that we are all united in that we care deeply about educating our children and need to screen our materials for worldview. What a blessing it is to have so many choices to do so!

No irony here. :001_smile: I'd object to materials (if they existed) that sneakily pushed atheism, Islam, or Jainism inappropriately and irrelevantly on my child, too.

I agree, and I'm not of the opinion that he's trying to convert anyone. FWIW, his beliefs are mentioned often throughout the series -- hardly all in Fractions and Decimals & Percents, but with some frequency in the high school texts. This particular comment is different. I hope he considers removing it from the text for subsequent printings.

I haven't seen that comment, but there are a lot of religions that teach heaven or a place like that besides Christianity, and not all churches are Christian (eg Universal Unitarianism--you can have many different beliefs there).

However, I don't think he ever hides that fact that he's writing from a Christian viewpoint. If you like the program, it's pretty easy to teach your dc, if they're old enough, what you think and move on since it's not riddled with it. We do that all the time with secular things, and not just with origins of life. Many things "preach" viewpoints we disagree with, and to avoid all materials containing statements we strongly diagree with would mean we'd read a very tiny number of books indeed, since we're not trinitarians but we are Christians.