Menu

the blahs, edginess, is it hormones...is there an OTC remedy?

I have noticed an increase in the blahs lately. Kinda even a sad feeling. Not only that but I feel sort of on the edge. I have noticed that I get short with the kids on schoolwork and even as I am...I am already regretting my sharpness. I am stressed about upcoming holiday plans as they always cause conflict between me and my husband...we have been married 18 years and it is something that we will have problems with until my parents pass away. That being said, I think there is more to these blahs and yet edgy feeling of late. I am 46...could it be hormones? I just came off my period but I notice it even when I am not on my period. Do any of you feel this way? I can't really put a finger on how I feel but where we are in life(great marriage, great kids, healthy family and extended family, no major problems in other words)so I am wondering if it is something hormonally that I need to address? Is there something OTC that might help?

Could it be the Winter Blues? I've been feeling similarly lately, and assumed that it was largely due to the bleakness of weather here. Vitamin D helps some for that, although I think I may need to pull my sunlamp out of storage, too. :tongue_smilie:

I recently bought the book The Mood Cure after seeing so many recomend the book on here as well as other message boards. It has been a great book for me. It has a lot us useful information about different supplements to take based on how you are feeling. I would see if you can find a copy at your library.

Jan

At 46, you may be headed into your pre-menopausal years, and that will take those hormones for a ride!:tongue_smilie:

The best thing I found was exercise. 30+ minutes of good cardiovascular exercise was a lifesaver. Getting outdoors was also important for me.

Anne

Vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B, vitamin B.

Not to overstate it or anything :D but a good vitamin B complex will do wonders for that. NSI Ultra B Stress formula is what I take and it works great...I can really tell when I'm not on it. I even give a little bit to dd when she is moody.

For the edginess, what works great for me is borage oil. I noticed a pre-Aunt Flo pattern, and started taking 1300mg capsules twice a day about two weeks beforehand. I found subsequently that if I just take it when I start to feel edgy and then continue until Day 1, it works great. I sometimes have to increase the dose in days -1 and -2 IYKWIM.

Since it's a nutrient, I am not concerned about overdosing. This is not even as medicinal as an herbal remedy.

I had these problems a lot other places we have lived. I also had problems with heavy, long periods during the winter. I haven't had those problems here. It has led me to believe that at least part of the problem was a lack of vitamin d. I don't like the cold, so I don't think I was getting enough sun and I don't drink milk.

The Women to Women website has a wealth of free information. They are coming for a very specific point of view, though, and talk a lot about "adrenal fatigue" and going on cleansing diets and following "The Schwarzbein Principle" book (I have a copy, followed it for about a month and had to give up...too hard to make two types of meals for our family). I think there is quite a bit of validity to what they are saying; it is somewhat controversial (high protein diet with moderate, but specifically chosen carbs, NO sugar or additives, etc.). On the whole, their information is really, really good.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I have noticed an increase in the blahs lately. Kinda even a sad feeling. Not only that but I feel sort of on the edge. I have noticed that I get short with the kids on schoolwork and even as I am...I am already regretting my sharpness. I am stressed about upcoming holiday plans as they always cause conflict between me and my husband...we have been married 18 years and it is something that we will have problems with until my parents pass away. That being said, I think there is more to these blahs and yet edgy feeling of late. I am 46...could it be hormones? I just came off my period but I notice it even when I am not on my period. Do any of you feel this way? I can't really put a finger on how I feel but where we are in life(great marriage, great kids, healthy family and extended family, no major problems in other words)so I am wondering if it is something hormonally that I need to address? Is there something OTC that might help?

:iagree: Though my feeling is more of the on edge verses the sad feeling. I'm only 36 and judging by familial history, I'm a long way from menopause. I'll be following this thread closely!!

I really think it is hormone related. I have been considering seeing a doctor for this but not sure which kind. We live near Belleville, IL/ St. Louis and my husband would like for me to find one there. My neighbor's daughter told me that I need to go to a Wellness doctor...what exactly is that? I also read somewhere that an endocrinologist deals with hormonal imbalance. I slept terrible again last night, restless and kept waking up. I am also one who is usually cold natured and I am experiencing a more "hot" feeling. Could it be related to just my period this week? I take a GNC multi-vitamin pack plus a probiotic and fish oil.

Vitamin D and magnesium are two things that come to mind and have helped me.

If you are interested in a "natural-minded" doc in the St. Louis area, PM me. We recently visited with a new-to-us practice that I think we will be happy with. The have a homeopath on staff, if that is of interest to you. :)

I recently bought the book The Mood Cure after seeing so many recomend the book on here as well as other message boards. It has been a great book for me. It has a lot us useful information about different supplements to take based on how you are feeling. I would see if you can find a copy at your library.

Jan

You've gotten lots of good advice. The Mood Cure helped me a lot too, and after reading it, I started taking 5-HTP on a daily for just what you describe--edginess especially.

You've gotten lots of good advice. The Mood Cure helped me a lot too, and after reading it, I started taking 5-HTP on a daily for just what you describe--edginess especially.

5-HTP is what I have started taking after reading the book. It has made a world of difference for me. It also helps me sleep better at night. I can tell a big difference on days that I don't take it. Another bonus that I was not expecting is that my craving for sweets has gone down a lot. I can now eat a small candy bar occasionally and be fine. I used to eat several and still want more. If you can't make it to see a doctor I really think you should get the book. It is like having a doctor come to you.

Jan

I really think it is hormone related. I have been considering seeing a doctor for this but not sure which kind. We live near Belleville, IL/ St. Louis and my husband would like for me to find one there. My neighbor's daughter told me that I need to go to a Wellness doctor...what exactly is that? I also read somewhere that an endocrinologist deals with hormonal imbalance. I slept terrible again last night, restless and kept waking up. I am also one who is usually cold natured and I am experiencing a more "hot" feeling. Could it be related to just my period this week? I take a GNC multi-vitamin pack plus a probiotic and fish oil.

Two practices to recommend:

Dr. Christine Salter

University Club Tower Building

1034 S. Brentwood Blvd., Suite 505

Saint Louis, Missouri 63117

http://www.drsalter.com/practice.html

314.361.0111 (office)

She is a medical doctor and has extensive training and experience in osteopathic, naturopathic, allopathic and chiropractic medicine.

--

Cindy Willbrand, ND

Webster Family Physicians

Big Bend Ave.

St. Louis, MO (Webster Groves)

Uses homeopathic methods! Other doctors or whatever in his office, too.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3716919895

(314) 961-6631

7979 Big Bend Blvd

Saint Louis, MO 63119

http://www.websterfp.com/

My friend traveled from O'Fallon, IL to see Cindy. They helped her a lot.

If you don't get to these, I would suggest using natural progesterone cream as directed. It helps a lot with those symptoms you described.

Edited by mom2abcd

5-HTP is what I have started taking after reading the book. It has made a world of difference for me. It also helps me sleep better at night. I can tell a big difference on days that I don't take it. Another bonus that I was not expecting is that my craving for sweets has gone down a lot. I can now eat a small candy bar occasionally and be fine. I used to eat several and still want more. If you can't make it to see a doctor I really think you should get the book. It is like having a doctor come to you.

Jan

Yep, that has been my experience as well. It's amazing.

Thanks for the input...Mom2abcd, I have these names written down and will call and check for appointment availability. I have to go into town today and I will make a point to go by health food store to check on the 5-HTP. If I try a progestrone cream, does anyone have one that they recommend? Are they all the same? thanks, ladies...this helps lift my spirits so much.

Raw Cacao powder is what I use. It has the same ingredients as anti-depressants. I have not been able to tolerate anti-depressants. I started on 2 T. and I am on 1/2 t. now. I must have been deficient in something.

Also.. Vitamin D and fish oil make a big difference.

Without progesterone cream I wouldn't have my son, but it gave me horrible side effects. Be careful!

Thanks for the input...Mom2abcd, I have these names written down and will call and check for appointment availability. I have to go into town today and I will make a point to go by health food store to check on the 5-HTP. If I try a progestrone cream, does anyone have one that they recommend? Are they all the same? thanks, ladies...this helps lift my spirits so much.

If you do decide to try 5-HTP, I've found that buying a good-quality brand makes a big different. The no-frills kinds did nothing at all for me. Natrol was a good brand--it's expensive if you buy it in the store, but maybe worth the investment just to try it out. If you end up finding any kind of supplement you like and will buy regularly, check out Vitacost.com and iHerb.com for much better prices.

Also, if you try the 5-HTP, start with 50 mg twice a day (maybe even just once a day) and see how much that helps you. I think the Mood Cure says something like a max of 400 mg over the whole day, but it's always best to start at the minimum and increase slowly if you need to.

You should really check out the book as well. It really addresses so much more than 5-HTP, and has a bunch of self-evaluations you can take to really pinpoint where your trouble might stem from. It covers hormones and thyroid issues, and a whole range of possible treatments and supplements and lifestyle changes. I highly recommend it.

You should really check out the book as well. It really addresses so much more than 5-HTP, and has a bunch of self-evaluations you can take to really pinpoint where your trouble might stem from. It covers hormones and thyroid issues, and a whole range of possible treatments and supplements and lifestyle changes. I highly recommend it.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I totally agree. The book has a lot of information in it. I think it was around $10 on Amazon. It was totally worth the price.

Jan

Raw Cacao powder is what I use. It has the same ingredients as anti-depressants. I have not been able to tolerate anti-depressants. I started on 2 T. and I am on 1/2 t. now. I must have been deficient in something.

Carmen, do you have some reliable links about this? I'm intrigued!

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I totally agree. The book has a lot of information in it. I think it was around $10 on Amazon. It was totally worth the price.

Jan

I agree it's worth owning. I'm lucky that my library has it, but if it didn't I would buy it!

I go through this on and off. Sometimes it is hormones - I have lots of hormone issues and can't take BCPs to regulate them due to a genetic clotting marker. At other times, I really think mine is due to depression and OCD. I am not suggesting you suffer from OCD (LOL), but maybe you are getting the winter blahs. I get them every single fall because I know winter is coming.

Hope you feel better soon!

Two practices to recommend:

Dr. Christine Salter

University Club Tower Building

1034 S. Brentwood Blvd., Suite 505

Saint Louis, Missouri 63117

http://www.drsalter.com/practice.html

314.361.0111 (office)

She is a medical doctor and has extensive training and experience in osteopathic, naturopathic, allopathic and chiropractic medicine.

--

Cindy Willbrand, ND

Webster Family Physicians

Big Bend Ave.

St. Louis, MO (Webster Groves)

Uses homeopathic methods! Other doctors or whatever in his office, too.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3716919895

(314) 961-6631

7979 Big Bend Blvd

Saint Louis, MO 63119

http://www.websterfp.com/

My friend traveled from O'Fallon, IL to see Cindy. They helped her a lot.

If you don't get to these, I would suggest using natural progesterone cream as directed. It helps a lot with those symptoms you described.

FYI from a former patient - Dr. Salter changed the nature of her practice and is moving to a private pay contract model. If you want more info on this, PM and I'd be happy to share.

Webster Family Practice is the practice I was referring to in my previous post (wasn't sure about posting referrals/names directly on the forum :)), and while I have seen Cindy Willbrand personally, we are very pleased with the practice overall so far.

If you do decide to try 5-HTP, I've found that buying a good-quality brand makes a big different. The no-frills kinds did nothing at all for me. Natrol was a good brand--it's expensive if you buy it in the store, but maybe worth the investment just to try it out. If you end up finding any kind of supplement you like and will buy regularly, check out Vitacost.com and iHerb.com for much better prices.

Can you recommend a good brand on vitacost? I have been wanting to try this, but wasn't sure which one to get?? Thanks so much!!

Carmen, do you have some reliable links about this? I'm intrigued!
I am using raw cocao, "As well as antioxidants the beans are rich in feel good factor chemicals dopamine and tryptophan." Navitas Naturals, Cacao Power, Certified Organic, 16 oz (454 g) from iherb.com 2 t. per day. I put milk and sugar in the microwave and then mix it in with the cocoa, like making gravy. You can also mix it in with a smoothy. more information.

There isn't much information out there about cocao and depression. I did a google search to find the recommended dose, and I have a Natural Doctor who tested it for me. (I get electrodermal scans.)

I know a lot people who use Calms Forte to take the edgieness off, but I don't have any personal experience myself.

I downed a whole load of those last winter. Didn't help....sorry.

Exercise...more winter outside time...even in the rain...PRAYER...letting go...if I can't fix it, I have to let it go. A good multi-vitamin and especially good nutrition...clean food etc. is vitally important.

Blessings,

Faithe