Menu

x-post s/o If you decided to use a boxed curriculum ...

Luanne

because your life was crazy and you didn't have time to plan things out but like things planned out for you, what would you use? You can specify what grade levels this would be for. I am particulary interested in junior high and high school level.

A Beka. We are actually already planning to use it for High School Math. We'll see if we use it as a complete program. A Beka has an accredited program where they grade your kid's work and when they graduate they get a diploma. Bob Jones has a similar program, but we prefer A Beka.

Blessings!

Dorinda

At those levels, I'd give them the plan book. :) A jr. or sr. high level kid could certainly take a list that says y lessons in z subject each week, and be expected to get it done. Divide the amount of lessons in the book by the weeks it ought to be finished in and the quotient becomes the weekly goal.

(Disclaimer: My kids aren't fully doing this yet. I've watched it play out successfully in other hs families many times and plan to do the same with my own when we're there. We do use a weekly loop that I have them help plan.)

For older dd, who loves to read, it would be Sonlight for history, literature, and math. Oak Meadow for science. Lightning Lit for LA. Which is basically my plan now for high school.

For younger dd, if I could justify the price in my own mind, I'd use Calvert. I just can't bring myself to do it though. Maybe Oak Meadow.

Depends on that your goals are. K12 is great for kids going to college. It covers quite a bit of impotant material that they will NEED to know going into college. Trust me. I'm doing college classes right now andn we are using K12 and even in my daughter's 6th grade material includes things that I am currently learning in college that I never learned while I was in school as a kid.

If they aren't planning on college or K12 is just to darned expensive for ya. I do like BJU. Abeka is nice but some of its subjects (such as history) are not updated.

If you want simplicity I do like Christian Light. Its independent and very challenging curriculum as well. Its also the least expensive and the most easiest to teach.

My favorite complete curriculum is Heart of Dakota. The newest guide can be used up to 7th grade. New guides will be released over the next several years. Some of us are praying for high school guides, so perhaps that will pan out.

If I needed something for an older child before those were ready, I'd probably go with WinterPromise. If I wanted texts, I'd go with BJU.

And where would I find out about it?

(Look at Rainbow Resource under curriculum for RR’s curricula package, but it’s just LLATL and Saxon plus others)

I would use Calvert (middle school only, soon to launch high school), Oak Meadow (middle and high school with diploma, currently revamping grades 5-8th) , or Hewitt( LL program only starting in 7th, but complete high school packages available with teacher services and a diploma (not accredited).

CLE

It's wholesome, academically rigorous, and easy to teach.

This is what I would pick too. We already use some subjects and find them quite thorough and rigorous, with the added advantage of almost no teacher prep time and the fact that kids can work mostly independently.

Hi,

I have used Sonlight and CLE. I stayed with cle and I love it.(christian light)I am now organized and my homeschool is happy. I no longer push subjects off until tomorrow. Sonlight was nice but with my 2 year old starting trouble(yelling, singing and fussing) every single time I started to read aloud the books it was really hard. I tried all sorts of things to keep her quiet while I read. Sadly nothing worked. I just didn't feel that my oldest could really learn or retain anything in that environment. It was crazy. With CLE my children sit at the kitchen table and it is pretty quiet. I give my 2 year old a box of colored pencils and she writes/draws/colors in her own book(notebook or colorbook) while my oldest completes her work. The 2 year old is proud to have her own book like her sister and even says "I did it mom" when she is done with her work. My oldest loves the CLE materials and never complains when I pull out the materials.

In this house CLE is a keeper.:D

HTH,

Penny

And where would I find out about it?

RR just came out with their packages. I don't think there are plans that go with them. they just put together all the subjects so you would have too. If you look under complete curriculum you'll find it. Timberdoodle has come out with curriculum packages too. They also don't schedule it. I think they should. I think that might sell more packages.