Menu

good dog for a boy

What is a good dog for an active, rambunctious boy? The dog would be housed inside and have a fenced backyard to run. A non shedding breed is desired. Any thoughts? The one I selected is rare in North America and it would cost to get one so I need some other options.

How important is the shedding issue? The only breeds I can think of that don't shed are the poodle (there is a standard size which would be more like a lab's personality) and a wheaten terrier. There may be others that don't shed, but they all require regular professional grooming and I'm going to bet they'd be expensive to purchase (sold only as purebreds, I think).

We have a shelter mutt/rescue from Puerto Rico. She sheds very little, but how predictable is that? Can't really predict *anything* with a mutt. She turned out to be a HUGE sweetheart. We really lucked out.

The only "non-shedding" dog I know of is a poodle; the full-size are excellent dogs: easy to train, good in a family, and loyal. The trade off is that their fur needs lots of care w/clipping. Labs are great dogs: simple-minded but very loving, great in a family, and easy to train due to wanting to please. We have one, and she sheds lots, but it's worth it for us. Maybe you could go for the Labradoodle (1/2 lab, 1/2 poodle); I've seen them, and though they look a little funny, their owners say they are the best dogs ever. I would bet they are pricey, though.

(Sorry, Zaichiki, for repeating your info; I think we wrote at nearly the same time.)

Another vote for a mutt. We have two mutts. One is a Boxer/Beagle mix and one is a Border Collie mix and they are fantastic dogs!! Very smart, loving, and playful! The Boxer/Beagle doesn't shed much, but the Border Collie does. He is so worth it though!!

Our beagle doesn't shed much and she is a GREAT dog with kids. She goes on bike rides with us. Will run and play for HOURS. Or lay around on the couch while kids jump on her:) She is just the best. We just bought a german shepherd puppy, so I am partial to them, also. They do shed more though.

For those who have mutts, where did you get them? From a shelter? We had Bicon Frises when I was a kid and they did not shed. We kept them trimmed short. I like the breed but was looking for something more playful and spunky.

We got our mutts from the local no-kill animal rescue organization.

For those who have mutts, where did you get them? From a shelter?

We have 2 mutts. We responded to an ad on "Tradio" (local radio classified ad show)for our older mutt. We were told he was an aussie/husky mix. Uh...NOT! He is near as we can guess a lab/husky/Rhodesian ridgeback mix and an all round great dog. He is gentle, affectionate, loves kids, and learned his basic manners quickly, but probably not the best pal for an active boy as he is very laid back.

Our younger mutt was adopted from the city shelter and well I can tell you he probably has German Sheppard in him. He is very active, playful, and intelligent. He loves kids and I don't think he's ever met a person he didn't like.

Mutts can often make the best dogs, but not always. We had an aussie/husky/? mix that we ended up giving up. She was just too anxious and nervous. When she went from growling and snapping at the air to grabbing skin that was it, we just couldn't take the risk anymore.

This might work! Thanks! I'm going to look into this breed.

labradoodle is not a breed, just FYI.

They're a x - and they've been showing up in shelters & rescues for some time now. Some are wonderful. Some are nuts.

I adore mutts - one of mine is one from a shelter. I just can't stand the cutesy made up names for mutts, and I definitely don't get the high prices for them. We're inundated with yorkiepoos and maltipoos and schnoodles and puggles and it's driving me insane. Almost ALL are coming from mills (Hunte Corporation is the biggie) or back yard breeders who have no clue what they're doing. Just chuck two cutesy dogs in together & sell puppies for $1000! And yeah, there are a small handful of folks trying to breed labradoodles and golden doodles as a new breed but those folks are very few and far between & I'm not seeing great results in their lines. Getting a new breed well established is a long process. So far they're not 'breeding true', the offspring are coming out all over the place in terms of appearance, size, temperament and health. The usual probs with parent lines are cropping up - hip dysplasia, PRA & Addison's..... If you ARE going to go the breeder route, do make sure they're testing parents & you SEE all the tests.

You've had some good tips for breeds. I would suggest you contact a couple local rescue groups and see what they have for a good family pet.

One thing - my avatar is of a vaccum because I have dogs. My sig line used to be 'why yes, vacuuming IS my hobby'. Dogs shed, be prepared for it. Dogs that don't shed so much - like a poodle (standard poodles are wonderful dogs btw) need to be groomed.

Some long haired dogs are easier to live with than short haired dogs - I adore labs but whenever I have a lab or lab x here the fur gets woven into everything. The short hair still falls out & it just gets into things. The longer coats can be easier to clean up & pick up with one of those lint brushes. Either way, be prepared for hair. Or go with a Chinese crested.... but even those will shed a bit.

If you sweep & vacuum regularly, brush the dog - depending on dog & time of year, once a week or more is good, you can control it. But dh saw a sign he wants to get me "you're not fully dressed until you have some dog hair on your outfit". You do get used to it :-)

Edited by hornblower

Guest janainaz

We have two Shih-Poo's. They are non allergenic and non-shedding. They are great dogs for kids. One of our Shih-Poo's has more Poodle traits and she is very smart and kind of a watch dog. She's not a barker unless someone comes to the door. She is just very alert, but super sweet. Our other Shih-Poo has more Shih-tzu traits. He's super cute, very sweet, loves to play, but not the brightest dog in the world. He's got a big heart, but that is about it.

I adore mutts - one of mine is one from a shelter. I just can't stand the cutesy made up names for mutts, and I definitely don't get the high prices for them.

I have had pure breeds all of my life, and my next dog is going to be a mutt from a shelter. And, I'm with you, hornblower, I'm just not getting the craze with these new-fangled "fad" breeds. We just don't know enough about them long-term. Get a mutt from a rescue/shelter, pay A LOT less, and give some poor dog a home.

They're a x - and they've been showing up in shelters & rescues for some time now. Some are wonderful. Some are nuts.

I adore mutts - one of mine is one from a shelter. I just can't stand the cutesy made up names for mutts, and I definitely don't get the high prices for them. We're inundated with yorkiepoos and maltipoos and schnoodles and puggles and it's driving me insane. Almost ALL are coming from mills (Hunte Corporation is the biggie) or back yard breeders who have no clue what they're doing. Just chuck two cutesy dogs in together & sell puppies for $1000! And yeah, there are a small handful of folks trying to breed labradoodles and golden doodles as a new breed but those folks are very few and far between & I'm not seeing great results in their lines. Getting a new breed well established is a long process. So far they're not 'breeding true', the offspring are coming out all over the place in terms of appearance, size, temperament and health. The usual probs with parent lines are cropping up - hip dysplasia, PRA & Addison's..... If you ARE going to go the breeder route, do make sure they're testing parents & you SEE all the tests.

You've had some good tips for breeds. I would suggest you contact a couple local rescue groups and see what they have for a good family pet.

One thing - my avatar is of a vaccum because I have dogs. My sig line used to be 'why yes, vacuuming IS my hobby'. Dogs shed, be prepared for it. Dogs that don't shed so much - like a poodle (standard poodles are wonderful dogs btw) need to be groomed.

Some long haired dogs are easier to live with than short haired dogs - I adore labs but whenever I have a lab or lab x here the fur gets woven into everything. The short hair still falls out & it just gets into things. The longer coats can be easier to clean up & pick up with one of those lint brushes. Either way, be prepared for hair. Or go with a Chinese crested.... but even those will shed a bit.

If you sweep & vacuum regularly, brush the dog - depending on dog & time of year, once a week or more is good, you can control it. But dh saw a sign he wants to get me "you're not fully dressed until you have some dog hair on your outfit". You do get used to it :-)

:iagree: As usual. :001_smile:

They are going for over $1000 here. And, they are a "bred mutt" so you lose the power of a pure bred, and don't have the power of a "mutt" that usually meant healthier:-) to those getting them. ( I also looked at a Lagatto)

I was going to get one, but decided not to.. I decided that I'd get a wheaten terrier, and I had a spot to purchase them.... It was someone who showed dogs and had one litter from each female:-) Anyway, I ended up getting a black Humane Society Dog:-)

Carrie:-)

This might work! Thanks! I'm going to look into this breed.

Just to mention.. it is not a breed. :mellow: (this coming from a dedicated purebred dog breeder- so trying not to spaz LOL) It is a cross breed- would be similiar to a mix of other two dogs if poodle included.

eta- Just read the last posts and realized folks already mentioned that this is not a breed, nor are any of the 'poos' or doodles or any other funky made-up-to-breed-dogs-only-to-make-money names:rant:

Ok, I am calm now LOL

Edited by jazzyfizzle

Golden retriever - they're worth the shedding. Dark goldens (reddish coloring) do not shed nearly as much as light goldens. Fabulous dogs. Easy to train, loving, smart and loyal.

Good suggestion- make sure the parents are OFA or PennHip tested for Hip dysplasia, very important in the labs and goldens.

We got him from a foster home. We located him on Petfinder.com.

There are so many dogs who are in shelters that need home, I highly recommend you spend some time checking those sites. Above and Beyond English Setter rescue is just one. A rescued dog knows he's been rescued from a bad situation. That appreciation can make for a great relationship with them.

We got our mutts from the local no-kill animal rescue organization.

2 of our dogs came from shelters, the one we have now was given to us by a family who couldn't keep her because she is a very large breed and they had a baby and a toddler and a St. Bernard who had seniority.

The two dogs that we got from shelters were both wonderful dogs, one a Lab/Rottweiler mix (protected my baby with his life 18 years ago) and then a Rottweiler/Shar-Pei mix - don't even ask, like I said, we got them from shelters.

These animals are usually so happy to have a home, they will adapt. A little bit of basic training goes a long way.

As far as shedding goes, buy a "Swiffer". It picks up anyting incuding dog hair.

Here Here! Right on the money :iagree:

And a reputable breeder would never allow a puppy they raised to be sent to shelter- they will ALWAYS take the dog back and provide it a home if ever necessary. If someone is not stating this at the time of sale and making sure the buyer agrees, they are not raising dogs for the right reason, they are doing it for the almighty dollar.

Edited by jazzyfizzle

It might just be best to "get over" the shedding issue. The best dogs that I can think of would be a lab or a border collie. I mention these two breeds because they are used quite often as service dogs for kids and have stood the test of time to poking and prodding by kids that don't understand that dogs shouldn't be poked and prodded.

I have had pure breeds all of my life, and my next dog is going to be a mutt from a shelter. And, I'm with you, hornblower, I'm just not getting the craze with these new-fangled "fad" breeds. We just don't know enough about them long-term. Get a mutt from a rescue/shelter, pay A LOT less, and give some poor dog a home.

It breaks my heart that all of these fad breeds inundate the shelters, especially in the summer - because they don't want to pay boarding when they go on their vacations! We found a wonderful puggle - he is full of spunk, loves kids, and is my snuggle buddy at night on the couch. Not much of a shedder. He has stolen all our hearts! He is a bit rare - black and white. Usually they are culled at the mills in favor of the tawny colored ones. (Don't get me started on puppy mills!:glare:)