Menu

Listening to an Audiobook

pageta

I am having trouble getting my ds6 to listen to audiobooks. If I have already read the book, such as Charlotte's Web, and I play it at bedtime, he does okay. But listening to an audiobook for school seems to be a disaster. If I let him look at his globe or at pictures in books, he doesn't seem to be listening at all - I know because he asks me questions about what he is looking at. I want to give him something that will keep his hands busy but not distract him. Any ideas?

I know I listen much better when I am knitting or driving or doing something so I imagine my children will be that way as well. Does anyone make their child just sit still in a chair and do nothing while listening to an audiobook?

I know I listen much better when I am knitting or driving or doing something so I imagine my children will be that way as well. Does anyone make their child just sit still in a chair and do nothing while listening to an audiobook?

I don't, because I have a horrible time with audiobooks if I haven't previously read the books. I can listen to newscasts, podcasts, etc with no problem but I'm not an auditory learner and listening to unfamiliar novels are just no fun at all.

As for keeping the hands busy, for years I've been reading aloud at breakfast as well as some other mealtimes, and I keep Silly Putty at the kitchen table.

We listen to audio's primarily in the car. But, when we have listened to them at home my dc have colored pictures that are somewhat related to the topic of the book or something we've been studying, they build with legos, they bounce on our exercise ball, or jump on the mini-tramp. I had one dc that just couldn't listen to audiobooks until they were older bec they couldn't focus their attention ----it was better in the car, but they are not an auditory learner. Like you mention about your ds, they were better if I had already read the book previously bec they had a basis for being able to follow. For that dc it helped to start with smaller audiobooks that had picture books to go with them and I would help them see that the audio was following the words on the page.

We listen alot on car rides or at bed time - If they're not sleepy and just listening quietly they will often draw while they listen. But usually they just stare out into space. I personally like to just sit and listen - maybe your ds doesn't benefit from keeping his hands busy? What does he do when you read aloud?

That's too funny because I was just going to post the same question. My dd4 (soon to be 5) is currently in the other room colouring. I put in an audiobook for her to listen to while she is doing it. She doesn't seem tot be paying attention though. As soon as I put one it it is almost like she just immediately tunes it out. I think I will try bedtime tonight.

If I let him look at his globe or at pictures in books, he doesn't seem to be listening at all - I know because he asks me questions about what he is looking at.

Have you tried asking him about the audiobook to see if he's taking it in? DH used to be very frustrated with our youngest wanting to read another book whilst he was reading bedtime stories, but when he questioned her about the story he was reading he discovered she remembered it all.

I think it all depends on the child. Some kids (and adults!) respond to audiobooks and can't get enough of them, while it's like pulling teeth to get others to pay attention to them.

My suggestion is to hold off for six months or so, and then try the audiobooks again. Perhaps your ds will respond better to them when he's a bit older.

Cat

PS. Sometimes, kids are paying more attention than you think they are. I have found that often, when I thought my ds wasn't paying the slightest attention to something, he'll amaze me by reciting the entire thing almost word-for-word later on. Could that be the case with your little guy?

Edited by Catwoman

Sometimes, kids are paying more attention than you think they are. I have found that often, when I thought my ds wasn't paying the slightest attention to something, he'll amaze me by reciting the entire thing almost word-for-word later on. Could that be the case with your little guy?

He's done that with stories I've read aloud to him. Two weeks later I'll hear the whole story narrated with great detail. It amazes me.

Some people are auditory learners and some people aren't. I don't think you can force these things. I think you can train for it, gradually, building up a little bit more. But if this isn't a good way for you or your child to learn, why not do something else?

Personally, my son and I adore audio programs. We use audio constantly; and there's nothing worse for us than, for instance, a language program with little or no audio component. I'm always astounded when people post on here wondering if they should get the audio or the video to go with [whatever] program. For us, it's all about the audio or the video.

But it sounds like your son needs something a little different, at least for now.

The best time for my dss have been either in the car or at bedtime.

Just an FYI, my youngest has never liked audio books, really wouldn't choose to listen to them on his own, and frequently zones out when they're playing. My oldest loves them. Not every kid will enjoy them. Give your dc plenty of opportunites to learn to love them, but they just might not be his thing.

How funny! I used audiobooks for the jumpy, can't sit still types. We colored or did other work . My dd really enjoyed following along with the book. She took a long time with phonics and we tried not to use sight words so when she realized that the books on tape were the same as those books with all the words she was excited. She spent hours , literally hours with her finger below the words as the narrator spoke. She was about 6-7.

I am having trouble getting my ds6 to listen to audiobooks. If I have already read the book, such as Charlotte's Web, and I play it at bedtime, he does okay. But listening to an audiobook for school seems to be a disaster. If I let him look at his globe or at pictures in books, he doesn't seem to be listening at all - I know because he asks me questions about what he is looking at. I want to give him something that will keep his hands busy but not distract him. Any ideas?

Ds plays with his legos, knex, or magnetix. We've also put an audiobook on while they play with play doh - but this is for fun not for school. I sit and listen with him when it's for school :D.

That's too funny because I was just going to post the same question. My dd4 (soon to be 5) is currently in the other room colouring. I put in an audiobook for her to listen to while she is doing it. She doesn't seem tot be paying attention though. As soon as I put one it it is almost like she just immediately tunes it out. I think I will try bedtime tonight.

We listen mostly in the car and at bedtime, although we do listen to SOTW on the iPod during lessons.

In our case, ds also looks like he has immediately tuned out. He walks around, picks things up, draws, etc. But if I ask him what he just heard, he knows everything and is able to discuss it.

So even though at first I thought he was tuning out -- sure l:blink::blink:ked like he was tuning out -- he was listening and understanding everything. You can never tell with the little nosepickers. :tongue_smilie:

I'd try the car or in bed at bedtime. If you want to use audio in the daytime try putting together a jigsaw puzzle at the same time.

Six is quite young and if you can find a favorite audio, kids like to listen to the same one over and over. My littles like certain Jim Weiss tapes and Winnie the Pooh.

My older son has listened at bedtime for his whole life and it has been great. My younger really prefers being read to or listening to music, so I worry he isn't getting the benefit that my older one did, but it is hard to fight learning styles and preferences. The younger is a much more hands on learner.

I appreciate hearing the ideas above about ways to listen while doing something. I have been trying that with music but may try audio. When my kids play with toys, they talk, so that doesn't work, but I love some of the other ideas.

Thanks!

We listen to our audiobooks in the car and in the kitchen. Sometimes I will play them while eating breakfast, my kids will color or play legos while listening. My 6 yr old (also my oldest) wouldn't really sit still in "class" and listen and to be honest we have a crazy schedule so there isn;t much structured class time anyways. We are always on the go.