Menu

Reusable shopping bags--which stores have the ones you like best & last the longest?

I have been bringing my own bags to the store for 25 years, and my all-time favorite bags are from LL Bean. I have two like this:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=boat-and-tote-bag&categoryId=33381&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504173&cat4=504161&shop_method=pp&feat=677-sub1&np=Y

I think I have the large or extra large size. I've had them about 15 years. I have a ton of other random bags, but these are the best.

I have been bringing my own bags to the store for 25 years, and my all-time favorite bags are from LL Bean. I have two like this:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=boat-and-tote-bag&categoryId=33381&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504173&cat4=504161&shop_method=pp&feat=677-sub1&np=Y

I think I have the large or extra large size. I've had them about 15 years. I have a ton of other random bags, but these are the best.

Oh, those look wonderful! Do you have a favorite size?

Oh, those look wonderful! Do you have a favorite size?

Actually, I looked at the dimensions, and I don't think they still sell the ones I have. Mine are long and not very tall. The trouble with the extra-large ones is that if you pack them full, they're too heavy to carry. (Which is why I sometimes just honk when I pull up to the house and get the men to carry the groceries in!)

If I were going to buy more, and I have thought about it because I have a gift certificate and, after washing, mine are starting to wear out, I would get the large size, a couple.

(I am suddenly wondering what it means that I have given so much thought to shopping bags...!)

I've been using some for about a year and they are beginning to rip and weaken. It seems that some stores have better ones than others. Which do you like the best?

I love my Whole Foods bag. It's huge and also insulated. I've walked to the store (~ a mile) and brought home ice cream in the TX summer heat and it's held up fine :)

I just bought mine from a craft store, Hobby Lobby. They put their canvas bags on sale every now and then, so I got them for half price. I bought four of the biggest bags and they were only $2.50 each. I've only been using them for groceries for about 5 months, but I have another one that I use for library books and it has lasted for over 5 years. And I put a lot of books in that bag!!

Like someone else said, they do get heavy if you fill them up. I am always amazed, though, that my groceries will fit into 4 of these bags, when it would normally take 20 or so of the plastic grocery bags. :)

I use the bags I bought from Sam's Club. They come in packs of 2. I bought 2 packs of 2. I use them whenever I go shopping. They are very big and they hold alot. Their freezer bag is also very big. You can carry them either by the handle or use the shoulder strap. I like it because I don't have to carry alot of little bags. They hold up to alot of abuse.

I bought some cheap bags at the commissary. The size is just right and they have held up well so far. I don't know what the size is, but they would hold 2 gallons of milk (although it would be heavy!).

We bought bags from the commissary years ago while dh was still in and they are still going strong. I love those bags! :tongue_smilie:

I have a friend who bought some type of heavy material and sewed her own, based on paper-bag dimensions. They held up really well.

If you like to sew, there's a great tutorial for bags, made from a plastic bag that you cut up, so it's that same familiar shape as the plastic bags: not too big, not too little. I've got pictures of my first one that I made using that tutorial, though not the later versions. I use those bags for everything: books, diaper bags, church bags, whatever I'm carrying to wherever I'm going, it's probably gone in those bags! I have some of the store bags too, from a variety of stores, but I like these much better.

I've actually been surprised how well my Walmart $1.00 have held up. I've had them for over a year and no tears or holes. Now if I could only get the cashiers to know how to use them correctly. :glare:

Isn't that the truth!! I have some cheeky ones from Wal-World that say, "Paper or Plastic? Neither."

Just a thought... When you use these bags, you need to wash/disinfect them. There was just a newscast or something about all the germs from meat placed in them one time.. and then veggie another... and so on..

Carrie:-)

I wash mine, but I do put meat in produce bags to protect against leaks.

Just a thought... When you use these bags, you need to wash/disinfect them. There was just a newscast or something about all the germs from meat placed in them one time.. and then veggie another... and so on..

Carrie:-)

I have a bright red one that I use just for meats. I got all of my reusable bags at our local thrift store, most were $.49 and were from Target, Walmart and our local grocery stores.

Jennifer

my Meijer bags have held up very very well. I also just got some cute pink ones at County Market (I believe they were in support of breast cancer awareness). I also have one from the SD Zoo, the Grand Canyon, and Trader Joes. The Meijer bags have held up the best, but I use them all, for everything, it seems!