Menu

Halloween costumes

He wants to go as something scary, but I won't let him. I'm a MEAN mommy!!!

I have had to go through the same thing every year with my son. We would finally settle on something at the last possible minute when there's hardly anything left. :glare:

This year he's decided that he's too old for Halloween. I'm not sure which is worse. :(

My girls picked out generic witch and cheerleader costumes.

Our costumes are working hard too. We are going to go to a friends and have dinner and play games so the kids can dress up - but not trick or treat. DD is a Renaissance girl or Juliet as she likes to say, and DS as a Knight. The week before Halloween we are going to the Renaissance Festival close by, and a couple of weeks after our library is doing a Fable Fest celebrating medieval lit, so our costumes will do triple duty!!

Yep, I love it when I can get a bigger bang for my buck. ;) I was going to have to come up with something for the geography fair anyway so my dd's costume is at least going to do double duty. Don't you love when things work out like that? :D

My kids are going to be dogs. They love dogs, so I'm going to put felt spots on sweats and make them ears and tails. I'm planning to put the spots on with safety pins, so the sweats will be reusable this winter.

What about sticky-backed felt? That's what I planned on using for DD2's cow costume, but I couldn't find white sweats anywhere.

We almost had Princess Peach and Mario & Luigi, but my oldest daughter decided to be Juliet instead. DS is going to be Luigi. And dd2 wants to be a "stunk" :lol: A stinky "stunk" (skunk, in case that wasn't obvious lol).

We go to our church's harvest festival. My kids wanted to go as Harry Potter and Hermione Granger but with the controversy surrounding those books, I decided to ask the church first. While they didn't say no, they are recommending against it.

So, they both want to go as cats from the Warriors books. My daughter wants to go as a tan/sand colored cat and my son wants to go as an orange tabby/tom cat.

Now, how am I going to pull those off?

Right now, I have King Arthur and the Black Knight from The Holy Grail 9yes, my family is entirely inappropriate in our entertainment and I giggle hysterically when I hear one of the 5 y.o.s saying "Your arm is off!" to the other) and some sort of affair that involves a cloak which, as yet, only exists in the 8 y.o.'s mind.

(Except it has just been announced that the 5 y.o.s want to go as "Charlie", our UPS guy, again. :001_huh:)

8yo boy-zombie, 12 yo boy and his friend-the blues brothers. Me-70's house wife with elegant evening gown, pearls and vacuum (remember those ads?). Dh and 16 yo-we'll know on the 31st. Nephew-wicked queen from Sleeping Beauty.

Edited by Catherine
Add more

We tend to get a little over-involved in our history studies. Last year the boys were Civil War soldiers (1 blue/1 gray) and the girls were pioneer girls. This year oldest is too old and cool to really plan something out but will probably get sucked into the excitement. That means he will have to pull something from the archives so probably along the gladiator/Roman soldier lines. Ds2 takes his dressing up seriously and is making his own Richard the Lionheart costume complete with (fake) chainmail. Oldest dd will be one of his knights (sigh, where did my little princess go?) Little one fell in love with a doll at Jamestown settlement and wants to dress just like her. That should be fun to explain at every house. :tongue_smilie: I told her just to tell everyone she is a pilgrim - if they're not homeschoolers they probably won't know the difference anyway. :lol:

My son keeps saying he wants to go as a hunter, which is fine with me. But his idea of dressing up as a hunter seems to include wearing orange from head to toe and carrying a toy pistol. Can you tell his daddy doesn't hunt? :lol:

I'm thinking he might end up going as a dog because this is probably the last year he'll be young enough to agree to do that. His sister went as a cat several years in a row...I like costumes that involve not much more than sweats and purchased ears. :)

Last year, my daughter took charge of costumes and they went out together as Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber. I tried to insert the photo here from her blog, but it's not working...so this is the link instead.

Oh, thank you for posting this thread! I just let the dc go through it so I could try to talk ds out of going as something gruesome (which I won't allow and he has been arguing for). He has now been insprired to go as Weird Al (Amish Paradise version of W.A.).

Dd and her friends had long ago decided to go as 'Twilight Obsessed Fans', which, I agree w/dd, are kind of scary. She and her friend have taken fabric markers to baseball hats, t-shirts, bags and old shoes.

Guest Cindie2dds

My youngest is going to be a Fairy ~ with wings was her only criteria....

My oldest wants to be SilverMist Fairy.... HELP! I can do Tinkerbell, but SilverMist (she's the water fairy who can throw dew drops at a spider web without the dew drop bursting or the spider web breaking ~ my daughter thinks she's way cool.)

We are going to be in Houston that weekend, anyone know of anything going on there?

ETA: Found SilverMist on google, but I don't like any of the costumes.... need to dust off my sewing machine.

Edited by Cindie2dds