Menu

How important is standardized testing to you?

My ISP is offering...actually advising, but not forcing that students enrolled in their program take the SAT standardized test next month. I'm not too interested. My ds scored at and above grade level in 3rd and 4th grade while in PS and I just don't think this is necessary. I'll have to get up really early 4 days in a row to drive across town to the school, while he sits in a classroom with a bunch of private school students that he doesn't know to take this test. He has ADHD and OCD and gets anxious very easily. I highly doubt he'll do well just based on the anxiety he'll have. I think I'll opt out on this. Anyone?

As a kid I always did well on them and for me it was a great confidence builder and helped with some self esteme issues I had. Obviously, I really like them and want my kids to take part in them; it will reaffirm that I'm doing the right things. I just wonder if it's possible to do from China.

and had a friend, who's a teacher, administer it under realistic conditions (the timing and how much help is given, not the amount of other pupils there). That's if you'd like to see how your ds would do.

If you're not bothered and ds gets anxiously easily why do it? There'll be plenty more tests down the road, when it'll be necessary to go through with the whole thing.

Not that I don't believe they exist.:001_smile: I just don't believe they are of any significant value for this age bracket. I do plan on preparing dc to take standardized tests in jr. high/high school so that they will be ready to take the SAT/ACT for college eligibility. But for younger students, I believe observing them daily is far more valuable than viewing test scores.

We test only when it is required by state regulations.The test results were not a surprise to me.The area where dd struggles the most was where she scored lowest which I expected.Because it is allowed by my state,I chose to have dd take a test designed specifically for hsers,which is untimed and meant to be given in the home by the parent (PASS test).The last 2 years, the school district has offered to allow my child to take the state test.The first year they asked me if I wanted to have her come to the school to take it.The second year, they offered to give me the test so I could administer it at home.I politely said "No thanks".This year they didn't contact me about it.

I think they are a waste of time and energy.

They are not designed to give usable information about individual students - I'm not convinced they are useful for their stated purpose, but I know they are meaningless for my kids.

Some kids get a kick out of filling in the little boxes and getting back pretty numbers when the tests are scored. Some parents find them reassuring. And some stated require them... but with the testing anxiety you described and the inconvenience it involves, I would not voluntarily participate.

YMMV ;)

This is how I feel about standardized tests.

My oldest two kids took the ITBS once and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. It was a pain, too, because I was not really allowed to administer the test since I do not have a college degree. (I can't remember the exact requirement.) My mom was supposed to administer the test for the kids, but she backed out on me at the last moment. I went ahead and gave them the test because I am capable of reading a set of directions out loud, keeping time, and not cheating.:rant:

None of my kids have taken a standardized test since. Testing is available through the Wichita area homeschool organization, but their policies sound rather unfriendly toward homeschoolers. (Which baffles me because it is put on by homeschoolers.) Besides that, two if not three of my kids would have had test anxiety being thrown into such an unfamiliar situation (large room of strangers, mom out of sight, long periods of sitting very still and quiet) for a test up to a certain age. Since I hadn't seen any benefit from the first time we did the test, there was no point in wasting our time and money to repeat the experience.

Perhaps all of this is odd since I always loved taking tests in school. I always did very well on standardized tests and was chosen to represent my school for a few tests in high school. I literally got a thrill out of taking the tests because it was a way for this shy kid to really shine. I got positive attention without having to get out in front of a lot of people and perform. My oldest loves taking tests, too. He sees them as a personal challenge and a way to demonstrate his knowledge and skill. We've been taking segments of the a practice SAT dd got from her school counselor just for fun:laugh:

I don't know that I'd do it very often if I didn't have to, but I would want dc to get some practice in before high school. Like it or not, SATs and ACTs are important for college admissions, and GREs are becoming phenomenally important for grad school admissions.

And, interestingly enough, it's not because the schools set any store by their accuracy in measuring things. It's just that, to take my school as an example, there are 100 applicants for a theology position, and any 50 of them would qualify based on everything but test scores. So test scores provide a convenient way of winnowing the field.

I wouldn't do it.

But...that's just me. I don't see the real benefit, and the reason I like to start testing in middle school is more to give them familiarity with that sort of test-taking, in preparation for high school tests (ACT, SAT, etc.) than anything else.

We had to test, while we lived in VA, and like others have said...just confirmed what I could observe from being their day-to-day teacher. I think it could be helpful, if a parent is anxious, or needs some objective feedback...as long as the child understands it's just a test, and as long as the parent understands the shortcomings of testing in a 'regular' standardized manner. (All standardized tests aren't created equal. :-)

(Edited to add: I'm not knocking those who test early and often, just voicing a personal opinion, and one that is probably tied to laziness, on my part. ;-)

My dh and I think test taking strategies and skills are important over the long haul.

They are one (independent of me) measure of how they are doing. I've never been horribly shocked by the results, but I'm often reassured and surprised by how well they did. One of mine cried the first time, but now they are just something we do once a year, no big deal.

We don't test. My ds was in private school for K and took one. They mailed the results to parents over the summer and I couldn't figure out the purpose of the test at all. It told me what I already knew.

That being said, we do not test yearly, but I have printed off the Texas test to use at home this year. I'm not concerned about the grading, but I do want him to have some experience sitting still and taking a timed test.

Like Tammyla, I find them reassuring. Maybe some of the rest of you are more secure than I am!

I administer the ITBS annually beginning in 3rd grade. I look at the test itself as test prep. I don't help them at all during the test. But when the whole thing's finished, I go over incorrect answers with them. This wouldn't work if someone else was administering it. This reinforces concepts such as, "Oh....once again, if I had read all of the options *before* I tried to pick an answer, I might not have missed that one!" Usually when they miss problems in the language or math sections it's sloppiness. When looking back at these problems after the test, they almost always manage to come up with the correct answer, slapping their heads with that "I coulda had a V8" motion.

I find that my kids do extremely well on the language and math portions. On the science and social studies, they don't score quite as high, but they're still significantly above the 50th percentile. This is comforting, because in most cases we haven't gone over all of the same materials as other students receiving this test. I'm pleased with the educated guesses my boys are able to make on portions of material with which they're unfamiliar.

I never volunteer information to family members about test scores. But when asked, I'm not shy about letting them know. "Yes, our boys scored quite high. In fact, they're in the xxth percentile."

I know in the grand scheme of things, these test scores are largely irrelevant. They don't test for all of the things that I find valuable in an education. And they're not always an accurate reflection of what's going on in a homeschool. But it's the only concrete way, albeit a little lame, for me to compare them to other school-aged children. Like I said, it's comforting to me, and I like the practice with testing that it gives them.

BUT I live in MN and they are required annually. So we do them. There is great anguish of soul (of my kids) but they haven't been killed by the tests yet.

All the tests do is test test-taking skills. Blech. Also, for some hsers, tests become a bragging tool, ala "My 2nd grader is 3 grades ahead in x subject". Double blech.

I do think the skills are important, but drilling testing skills in elementary years doesn't mean those skills will keep for high school and college.

And DS has no test anxiety. And we have to anyway for our state regs (NC)... but I really do like standardized tests and would do one a year anyway.

If DS were anxious I wouldn't do any more than the bare minimum for the state, so in your situation (anxious child, no requirement) I would certainly skip it. But in our situation there's no harm in them and I like having the norms.

I think they serve a purpose.

Test-taking is a skill, and it's one that kids need to know. I'm happy to give up 3-4 days a year to work on that skill. Taking the test in a real "test-taking" environment *before* the tests have much meaning gives kids a chance to get used to it, so they don't feel overly anxious when they face more meaningful tests later on.

I find the results of the ITBS *are* helpful in looking at individual children. Yes, they generally confirm what is already known, but sometimes one does find surprises. (Some tests are better than others, and I absolutely think it's worth paying for the official Stanford or ITBS with scoring over a free TAKS online or a cheap, pared down 20 year old CAT.)

In some cases, the scores can open up doors to kids.

And my kids think it's fun. :)

Oh, I don't think testing every single year is necessary. I don't think the k-2 tests are as helpful as the 3+ tests, and if life gets in the way and we miss a year, I'm just not going to worry about it (unless required by the state that year).

I should say that I think it is important for high schoolers to take standardized tests, just to get them used to taking them. They'll have to take the ACT or SAT and taking other standardized tests leading up to that could be helpful in preparing for that. I haven't homeschooled any high schoolers so far. My three oldest are in public school, and they seem to do fine with the standardized tests they take there in spite of their lack of experience with standardized (or really any) tests during their homeschool years.

Some kids may need a lot more coaching in how to take a test and more practice. One of 17yods' friends is graduating this year and going into some kind of vocational program. He didn't think he would have to take the SAT or ACT and has recently found out he needs the SAT. He has a lot of test anxiety normally and is not very strong academically. He's stressed out just thinking about it. He's asked me to help him prepare for it, and I think a lot of the preparation will be some deep breathing exercises:chillpill::001_smile:

I just did a little research online and I found out that Seton offers the CAT-E standardized test to homeschoolers for just $25 including scoring. Have any of you used these tests? Are they current (up to date)? Would you recommend using them? I think this would be a good option for us. My ds would be able to be in the comfort of his own home to take the test and this would reduce his anxiety. Anyone?

I wouldn't do it.

But...that's just me. I don't see the real benefit, and the reason I like to start testing in middle school is more to give them familiarity with that sort of test-taking, in preparation for high school tests (ACT, SAT, etc.) than anything else.

We had to test, while we lived in VA, and like others have said...just confirmed what I could observe from being their day-to-day teacher. I think it could be helpful, if a parent is anxious, or needs some objective feedback...as long as the child understands it's just a test, and as long as the parent understands the shortcomings of testing in a 'regular' standardized manner. (All standardized tests aren't created equal. :-)

(Edited to add: I'm not knocking those who test early and often, just voicing a personal opinion, and one that is probably tied to laziness, on my part. ;-)

Ditto here.

I just did a little research online and I found out that Seton offers the CAT-E standardized test to homeschoolers for just $25 including scoring. Have any of you used these tests? Are they current (up to date)? Would you recommend using them? I think this would be a good option for us. My ds would be able to be in the comfort of his own home to take the test and this would reduce his anxiety. Anyone?

I live in a state where my darlings must be tested or otherwise "evaluated" by someone other than me, and frankly testing at home is cheaper and easier on me than the alternatives. DH always likes to see the results. It takes about 3 hours total, and costs me less than $60 for both. I won't do group testing until my younger one is in 4th grade. It costs more and requires more focus to do well in a group, and of course you have to drive there, worry about lunch, etc. etc.

So I use the CAT-E for grades 1-2 because it's short and to the point. It's so short though that some question whether it tells you a lot, but it's close enough for me and meets state requirements. I've never had a surprise, although my younger one over-analyzed last year and missed more than she should have.

I use the PASS from Hewitt for 3rd and up because you pretest the first year, and then take the test that "fits" in each of the three subjects, so it's shorter and more focused on measuring exactly where the child is. It's also untimed, although it usually takes us about an hour for each subject. Then after the first year, you just order and they send the next level.

As a kid I always did well on them and for me it was a great confidence builder and helped with some self esteme issues I had. Obviously, I really like them and want my kids to take part in them; it will reaffirm that I'm doing the right things. I just wonder if it's possible to do from China.

Actually, I don't remember how I did on them as a child, but the older I got, the more I remember doing not so well on standardized tests, including SAT's. I test poorly with that format but always did very well on essay type tests. So, for me, standardized tests are not important because I do not feel that they test a wide range of competance or broad intelligence, and they have the possibility of the opposite effect on some kids (me) as they had on you -- esteem and confidence buster!

Doran

My dh and I think test taking strategies and skills are important over the long haul.

They are one (independent of me) measure of how they are doing. I've never been horribly shocked by the results, but I'm often reassured and surprised by how well they did. One of mine cried the first time, but now they are just something we do once a year, no big deal.

I haven't been surprised by test results, except for the first battery we had administered, which was more of a test for giftedness (but that's another story). I have found that they are good practice in group test taking for my kids.

I have very good readers. One stared off into space for most of the math portion, answered all the questions in 20 minutes and almost aced it. The other gets into trouble because he reads too much into the question or knows things that seem to make the question have multiple or no right answer. So having the test experience is sort of good for them as a skill.

Having said that, if your son has other issues, I might consider administering a practice test at home as "the test." I would stop each section and discuss strategies with him, what went well and what he could improve. This might be just as worthy as a group administered test.

It sounds to me like you have some special circumstances to consider with your son. Based on them, I can see why you're not interested right now.

My experience in school was that I took a standardized test almost every year. The result was that I was extremely comfortable when it came time to take the SAT and ACT for college entrance. It really felt old hat. That was a great and marvelous thing.

When looking at my kids, I would like to regularly test them as well. One, for their benefit. Two, for my benefit. A standardized test is a measure of academic performance, and often a very useful one.

As a mom whose kids are in ps/private school and who hasn't started homeschooling yet, I realize that I have a different perspective than many here. That said, I think I am going to test every year (even though our law only requires every 3 years). Although tests are only one measure, and a faulty one at that, they are still one measure of how a child stacks up against his peers. Now obviously everyone's an individual, everyone develops differently, etc., but at the end of the day I want to know that my children are not losing ground (since I have previous tests to compare with) on their same-age counterparts. Like a university who looks at SAT/ACT scores as part of the overall picture, tests can be part of the overall picture, and I want to have as much information on my children's intellectual development as I can if I am taking sole responsibility for it.

We are required to test beginning when the child is 7, but we chose to have testing earlier than that (in both K and 1st grade---with a late summer birthday, she didn't turn 7 until 2nd). For the first year, I needed it to reassure myself that things were going well, and I did get some surprises in that she scored higher than I would have predicted in a couple of areas and lower in others. We've continued to test each year, as it is the progress between the years on the same test that is most informative.

We have used a streamlined version of the Woodcock-Johnson III, which is administered by a professional (in this case, the folks are parents who homeschooled their own children and now do this as a business). We picked it for several reasons:

--her age---She started when she was a wiggly 5 :) and I wanted something flexible, not too long and mostly oral. This process takes about 45 minutes and has been mostly oral so far, though there is more written in math for older grades, I believe.

--not normed on a single level--Unlike most standardized tests, the WJIII is normed all the way up to college (IIRC). When the results for a 2nd grader say that she had an equivalent of 4th grade in a subsection, it means that she performed as a 4th grader would on *4th grade material* rather than as a 4th grader would on 2nd grade material (as in most tests normed on a single grade level). My child is all over the place in terms of grade level depending on the subject, so this is helpful to me in choosing appropriate levels of curricula.

--to see how she performed for others in an unfamiliar setting. To me, this is just as important a piece of information as anything else, since it tells me if her knowledge generalizes to other situations. She has not shown any test anxiety with it, as the testers are very good with young children.

Since schools are familiar with these tests, her performance on them will also help with correct placement if she ever needs to or wants to go to public school. I also do periodic subject tests at home, partially for the same reason. I want to know both that she retained the information and that she can adapt to showing that in a variety of situations.

As much as I have liked this streamlined WJIII (and we are doing it again next month), I am also going to test her on the Iowa this year at home for a couple of reasons:

--- I want to see how the results compare between the two tests to see which one I want going forward.

---I want to see if it gives more detailed information on subsections of specific subjects.

---I want her to have more practice with bubble tests as well so that she won't freak if she ends up in school at some point and has to take them.

Given her asynchronous performance overall, I am going to test out of level with the Iowa based on her strong subjects (probably 2 grades ahead, where she placed overall on the WJIII last year) to see how she performs as compared to others working at that same level.

Overall, it is not the single most important piece of information in making educational decisions, but it has been quite useful to me.

My ISP is offering...actually advising, but not forcing that students enrolled in their program take the SAT standardized test next month. I'm not too interested. My ds scored at and above grade level in 3rd and 4th grade while in PS and I just don't think this is necessary. I'll have to get up really early 4 days in a row to drive across town to the school, while he sits in a classroom with a bunch of private school students that he doesn't know to take this test. He has ADHD and OCD and gets anxious very easily. I highly doubt he'll do well just based on the anxiety he'll have. I think I'll opt out on this. Anyone?

I think you've answered your own question. It really doesn't matter what we think about it. For your son, it's a no-brainer. More harm than good. If you were to give into pressure to have him take this test in spite of your misgivings, it would defeat the purpose of homeschooling.

Barb

I think you've answered your own question. It really doesn't matter what we think about it. For your son, it's a no-brainer. More harm than good. If you were to give into pressure to have him take this test in spite of your misgivings, it would defeat the purpose of homeschooling.

Barb

Your reply resonated with me. You're totally right! Unless we can test at home, I'll opt out.