Menu

I really really REALLY don't want to do this.

One of my most distinct childhood memories is of my Dad battling wasps. He would wait until dusk, until they were all settled in for the night. Then he would make a torch and hold it under the nest, letting the fumes anesthetize them. Then he would knock the nest down to the ground and set it afire. He had a can of spray handy for any escapees. There was always at least one.

It was quite thriling to watch and guaranteed to draw an audience of neighbor kids.

A couple of years ago my son was on a big bug-catching kick and most afternoons he'd go out in the back yard with his little plastic tub and see what he could catch. One afternoon he came in with a whole wasp nest in there, including several live wasps. I have no idea how he managed not to get stung! I guess he found it on the treehouse, and he said "they didn't mind" when he pulled it off and put it in his tub. Well I didn't think it was a great idea to just dump them back in the yard, which is what we did with most of his captives, but I didn't want to keep them as pets either, which is the other thing we sometimes did with the critters he captured. I didn't want to open the tub enough to spray because the live wasps in there were starting to "mind" and I didn't want them getting out. So I stuck it in the freezer overnight to kill them. The next day we got out an exacto knife and some hand lenses and dissected the nest. It was pretty interesting to see the different stages of larval development. One had even died half way out of its cell. Interesting stuff.

We get them all the time. My dh waits till night and then sprays wasp spray onto the hive. We've had them bigger than a basketball - NASTY - attached to our house and trees!

Darn, I read that most nests die out before winter.

I'm also wondering if I should leave these wasps alone because their nest looks like that of the paper wasp, i.e., open nest with exposed cells.

I've read that paper wasps aren't as aggressive as the yellowjacket, don't swarm, and are excellent insect predators.

[shudder]

Yeah, what she said.

Ok - if you have to do it - do it at night and completely cover up. I would also get wasp killer spray, not just a hose. The kind of spray that I have used can be sprayed 10 feet away. Have benadryl on hand too! Good Luck!!!!

Yes, I'd planned to get a wasp spray and I was reading how I should do it at night while being completely covered.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to leave them alone now though, because I think they're paper wasps and not yellowjackets.

One of my most distinct childhood memories is of my Dad battling wasps. He would wait until dusk, until they were all settled in for the night. Then he would make a torch and hold it under the nest, letting the fumes anesthetize them. Then he would knock the nest down to the ground and set it afire. He had a can of spray handy for any escapees. There was always at least one.

It was quite thriling to watch and guaranteed to draw an audience of neighbor kids.

Oh, yes, that's just what I need. An audience to watch my comedy of errors. To bee or not to bee. ;)

yup...you have to do it at night so they will all be home and sleepy. I have had to do it...not sao bad once you get the Rambo up in ya! Good luck!

Faithe

Channeling Rambo. Check.

Okay - ds13 says he'll do it for you. He'll use a potato canon. Have an extra one lying around for him? He won't even charge you! ;)

A potato cannon? That actually sounds like fun. A new way to make french fries and mashed potatoes?

I'm going to have bad dreams tonight. :scared:

Oh, no, not bad dreams. Just think of a beautiful field of flowers and the birds, bees, and butterflies all buzzing, bustling and bumbling along.

I couldn't do it. I would pay $ to have it done. shudder.

I thought about it, but then I decided I'd rather spend the money on something else. So I told myself to quit whining and just do it. I still haven't done it yet.

I'd be happy to do it for you. I enjoy hitting the little buggers with the raid spray. Do wait until dusk to spray them.

I take it you've done this before. So once I bite the bullet and do it, it'll become easier?

A couple of years ago my son was on a big bug-catching kick and most afternoons he'd go out in the back yard with his little plastic tub and see what he could catch. One afternoon he came in with a whole wasp nest in there, including several live wasps. I have no idea how he managed not to get stung! I guess he found it on the treehouse, and he said "they didn't mind" when he pulled it off and put it in his tub. Well I didn't think it was a great idea to just dump them back in the yard, which is what we did with most of his captives, but I didn't want to keep them as pets either, which is the other thing we sometimes did with the critters he captured. I didn't want to open the tub enough to spray because the live wasps in there were starting to "mind" and I didn't want them getting out. So I stuck it in the freezer overnight to kill them. The next day we got out an exacto knife and some hand lenses and dissected the nest. It was pretty interesting to see the different stages of larval development. One had even died half way out of its cell. Interesting stuff.

That is fascinating, and I'm glad everything went swimmingly for you.

I think I'll pass. :)

OMG!!!

My neighbor had a gigantic wasp/bee (nasty looking) nest on the side of their house.

They had to call a professional to come remove it.

Wonder how much they charge?

I don't envy you.... but maybe if you close your eyes and spray? Practice shooting your can to see how far it sprays - some go further than others. As in, sometimes you can actually hit the thing when it's flying away on the roof.

And after you think you have them all, get them again with another can!

I often view the world in the less traditional way...the first thought that came in my head was "What amazing mothers these creatures are, if only human moms could take a lesson or two from these" my second thought was "uh-oh, could be the dads doing all the work...in which case amazing!!"

Tara

Have you done it yet? Yikes! I would sooooo not want to do it, but I would eventually get up the guts to do it. We are allergic to flying, stinging things, so they would have to go. They got in my house once when I waited too long getting them down, aaahhhhhh. Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

Those raid cans shoot a good distance.

Yikes! Only one nest though? Consider yourself lucky! At least they are wasps and you can SEE their nests.

We've had to have an exterminator twice now for yellow jackets. Nasty things! I'll take wasps any day. Yellow jackets prefer to move inSIDE your home. We had a swarm of them in our closet! That's just going too far. :glare:

That is fascinating, and I'm glad everything went swimmingly for you.

I think I'll pass. :)

Lol! I don't blame you a bit. I had been prepared by living with a son who had a serious Aspie-level obsession with creepy crawlies from a young age, so I had built up a resistance to the ick factor of it all. It's amazing what desperation will do to a mother. The year he was 7 the only way to get decent behavior from the child was a point system in which he could cash in his points at the end of each week for crickets at the local pet store. We had quite the exchange rate worked out. He built a big, elaborate habitat to keep them in. We had also lived through an ant farm, ladybug farm, hissing cockroaches, mantises, and milipedes as pets before the wasp nest landed on my kitchen counter. I have to admit, though, that spiders still get to me a bit, and I still make dh spray the wasp nests (when ds is not looking...sigh).

I'd be happy to do it for you. I enjoy hitting the little buggers with the raid spray. Do wait until dusk to spray them.

There ya go.

I took my power washer and zapped a huge nest of them dangling from my second story the other day. It was gruesome, yet highly satisfying.

Bees, yes. Love them, Wasps, hell no. Hate them.

I do it all summer long. At dusk, when they are all inside for the night, I take a can of wasp killer that sprays from several feet away and I soak it down. Then I take a quick shower because I react to so many of those chemicals. Never have been stung yet.

This year I have a nest under ground. I need to decide if I'm brave enough to drain a bottle of kerosene down there or not. There are a lot more wasps in there than there are in a hanging nest, and there are multiple holes for them to come and go out of. This one make me nervous. :eek:

Jean

We've had a huge problem with these guys this year, ugh! We had a gigantic one hanging from underneath the roof. Dh bravely climbed to the roof and sprayed them! At the same time, we also heard some wsss...wsss...wsss... noises coming from the inside of our ceiling and wall within our bedroom/bathroom. We thought it was mice, but it was WASPS!...in our WALL!!! Dh cut out our wall, sprayed, pulled out the nest and then re-drywalled it. My dh has been an absolute hero this summer, LOL!