Menu

Do you like the color of your hair?

We were at Medieval Times last night for my son's birthday and my daughter took a picture of me. My first thought was how dark my hair is (and my second thought was how fat I looked).

I have really really really dark brown hair. Not black, but seriously dark brown.

I have had issues with it my whole life. When I was a teenager I tried at home remedies to lighten it. Didn't work. I had a hairdresser amazed that he had to practically burn my hair with chemicals to get it to change colors.

In my 20's I found my current hairdresser (he is the best!) and we have been tweaking my hair color for over 20 years. Not much I can do (I have gone reddish, over the top reddish, one shade lighter, twenty shades lighter, etc).

But the past year I just decided to deal with it and haven't colored it. Till I saw that picture.

I am going in to have my hair colored. Again.

Do you have hair color issues?

I LOVE my dark hair. Although it isn't as dark as it used to be as I have acquired several "arctic" blondes. :D

I colored my hair for years to cover up the arctic blondes, but got tired of the expense and time that it took up. It was a PAIN growing it out as I had been using a permanent haircolor and the two-tone look was NOT pretty. This is the problem with dark hair - if you keep it dark it takes on a Morticia Adams like quality, and if you go lighter and change your mind you have to deal with darker roots growing out. However, I must say that I am glad I have embraced the grey hairs, and I am thrilled not to have to mess with the expense and time it took to have it colored. Personally, I did not want to be red-headed or blonde, and I couldn't continue with the darkening, so now I am salt and pepper. Thankfully, more pepper.

So, I guess all that is to say that "Yes," I like my hair color.

Have you thought about what it is specifically that you don't like? I have always gotten lots of compliments about the shininess of my hair which I think is natural for darker shades.

I have major hair issues! My hair has always been very dark brown (almost black) since childhood. However, I went prematurely white (never grey, true stark white) in the front of my head only! The back is still almost black with a few grey strands. I have to color it or look positively ridiculous and bald in the front bc the white nearly matches the color of my scalp. I wear bangs for my high forehead which increase the ridiculousness of the white front. Anway, I home color with Loreal Excellence dark brown and it gets black, black, black in the front bc I have to touch up roots every two to three weeks.

I am also concerned that the dk. brown hair dye is a health hazard, expecially considering how frequent I apply it. I tried to grow out the dye last year and that is how I discovered just how white my hair is in the front. It was truly scary looking!

When I turn 45, I'm letting the white grow out about two inches and ask the hairdresser to put lowlights (dr. brown colored strands) in it while it grows out. To blend the white with the back of my head better while it grows out. I just can't afford that process yet. And I want to be done coloring and au natural in my 50's. I'm not ready yet, just turned 40.

I've been getting grayer and grayer over the last ten years, and I love it. My hair was very light blonde as a child, but through my teens and early adulthood, it had gotten sort of mousy brown/dishwater blonde. Getting gray hair has lightened it significantly. My gray is also coarser than my "regular" very straight, very fine hair, and it's dryer (a good thing) so my hair has more body and looks less stringy.

My hairdresser asks me every time if I'd like to "cover the gray," and every time, I tell her I love my gray.

Lisa

I have been dying my hair since I was 12. I started off goofy, early punk rock/new romantic days... then by senior year I settled on a good vibrant red. I have been fluctuating between a rich burgundy and a flame red since then.

Now that I am getting grey hair, it is like i have natural highlights. :)

I *think* my hair is a mousey brown. I haven't really seen it 20 years.

My mom's side of the family turns pure white by 35, by dad's side, barely anything until 80. My one brother has none, my other has the white hair... I am in the middle. Ah, genetics! I would have no problem going all white, but it does not seem to be in the cards. This wishy washy-ness though, not acceptable. I will end up being an 80 year old flaming red-head with one swath of white hair for fun.

Oh, and I let my 9 year old son cut my hair for 50 cents. He does a good job, and you can't be upset about a haircut less than a dollar! ;)

I like my hair colour somewhat. Mostly, I am relieved that it is not blonde (a hair colour which just does not appeal to me). Mine is about as light brown as can get away with being called truly brown. By now, of course, there is a lot of grey, even some white, mixed in.

Hair colouring is not a route which I will investigate, however. I thought long and hard about it -- (including the information now known about carcinogens proven in the usual brands of dark hair dyes) -- and finally concluded that God made my hair the colour which He decided would look best with my entire physical body. I decided that He is the "Master Artist and Designer", and I could do no better ! :)

I almost can't remember what natural color was, I have been dying it so long. I have dark brown hair, but if I quit dying it right now it would be salt and pepper. I am 45 and would be fine with letting it go gray, but my dh doesn't want me to.

When I was young (in my 20's) and had no gray, I liked my hair color fine.

I have med. to dark brown hair that I have always had natural red highlights in it. I now color my hair and my hairdresser puts in the closest shade to my natural hair as she can but she also puts in ash to tone down the red, but it turns out to be very pretty dark reddish highlights. I have always been told that my hair is my best feature . It is naturally very wavy and is now getting quite long. In my avator, I believe that was one time when I tried straighting it but now just let it go wavy.

After I started wearing hats in the summer sun, my hair did not bleach out, so instead of being a dirty blond, I was light brown--I never felt the person in the mirror was I...and then I started turning gray and white. Now people say I look blond (lol), and I feel much more like myself (If that mades any sense). The gray was much nicer once I started using Pantenes Silver Expressions, though--it turned the yellow, dingy gray to silvery gray. I get compliments on it all the time. They say, "If my hair went gray like yours, I would not dye it, either!"

Jean

I like my original hair color. I'm not so fond of all the gray that is taking over the original color. I started coloring my hair to cover the gray but it's just too much to keep up with to be honest. So I'm letting the gray creep back in and I accept the fact that I'm intended to look old at my young age of 41. :)

It's nice to hear that I'm the only dark brunette that hasn't particularly liked her hair color. I also have very fair skin (and usually red from sunburn in the summer) so the contrast is particularly stark. ETA: (Yeah - forgot you can see for yourself on my avatar now! It's actually a little worse than the picture makes it.)

Before homeschooling, when I worked full time, I was coloring to mask the grey. My hairdresser used two shades lighter than my natural. Luckily, I didn't have the issues you have w/coloring. (Perming - now that's another story - "like trying to curl concrete" one hairdresser told me.:D)

When I quit working to hs, that's one place dh and I agreed we'd save money. I found I have more grey than I realized, and had forgotten just how *dark* brown it was! But I don't mind it as much as I used to, or as much as other people seem to (certain "friends", hapless men at church, and my ib [idiot brother] have made a bigger deal out of it than dh or I ever do:glare:).

One of my grandmothers had pure white hair - I'm hoping that's where I'm headed, though I can't exactly tell yet.

I am very dark blond, with a little red, a little natural highlighting, and not enough gray that it is noticeable to anyone else. Even my hairdresser says she doesn't see any :D (she gets good tips :lol:). I haven't ever done an artificial hair color, and don't plan to unless I get to a really mousy color when the gray starts to come in.

My color isn't incredible but it isn't too bad. It is much like the color of caramel. Until my 30's it was lighter, so I always think it is so dark now, but it really isn't.

I have read that you can perm or color. I have no problems my color so I perm. My hair is the kind that can travel from a bleached out blondhish, to plain ole' brunnette, reddish auburn to a darkish, almost blackish brown. Since they are all natural colors for skin tone they all work equally well. On the other hand, I have stick straight hair and I would give anything for curly which seems to be much harder to procure. At least half the people will only use a very large rod so that you end up with slight waves. Other use too small of a rod and too strong of a solution so that you end up with a bad fried 80s perm. I have yet to find someone who can give me the soft spiral curls I want. What I don't understand is why they don't just say that in the beginning, "Oh, no. We can't do that,"

Edited by KidsHappen

I do. My hair is a natural brown, most people say I have good looking hair. At 45, I am just beginning to get gray hairs here and there. I got lucky, early graying runs in my mom's side of the family, I just took after my dad's side! I have never done anything to my color, I might get highlights at some point but not yet. Of course, when I was little I wanted to have curls at some point as well as going from wanting to have blonde hair to black to red... not to mention blue or green eyes!