Menu

schooling 2 days a week

I think it would be nearly impossible.

Would adding Saturday as a school day be an option?

I wonder if it would help if you explained why doing school on speech days seems impossible--I bet there are some on this board with ideas. For example, could you listen to SOTW in the car? Could your kids who aren't in speech have a folder of work to do in the waiting room?

I think it would be nearly impossible.

Would adding Saturday as a school day be an option?

I wonder if it would help if you explained why doing school on speech days seems impossible--I bet there are some on this board with ideas. For example, could you listen to SOTW in the car? Could your kids who aren't in speech have a folder of work to do in the waiting room?

:iagree:

Ok we get up around 8 am and speech is @ 11. I live 45 minutes away and have 9 kids to get ready. We are there until 3:00. So we get home around 4:00. And after long days we are wiped. I do have some that could do work folders while there. A 6th grader 2 2nd graders and 2 1st graders. But how would I teach things without lugging thee huge teacher manuels? Or are there some curriculums better for on the go?

In your shoes, I'd only worry about the oldest 4 dc. If you absolutely need the TM with you, I'd cut it out of the binding and only take the pages you need. But, IME, you can just read over the lesson the night before and take only the workbook pages you'll need. If your oldest is developmentally typical, I think he can be in charge of packing his own bag and bringing his work with him according to a checklist you provide. For your 1st and 2nd graders, I'd make a "workbook" by taking the sheets they need to do that day and putting them in a 3 prong folder. Take along a pack of colored pencils, scissors, pencils, erasers and a sharpener in a big canvas tote and you should be set. I would unschool science and history for the littles by listening to SOTW in the car and watching Magic School Bus videos at home. You can get some picture books to go with the topics covered and call it good.

Could you possibly find someone to babysit your 4yo and down so that you don't have to bring the whole crew with you? You have my sympathy trying to control that many littles in a waiting room for 4 hours!

:iagree:

We have a lot of waiting-room time, too. We do books on tape (SOTW, lots of history), and also do activities in the waiting room. The Critical Thinking Co. workbooks on punctuation, problem solving, etc. are great for waiting rooms. They tend to be short and when you're suddenly interrupted because your kid's turn is up, you can stop without feeling like all the work you've done in the past 15 minutes was a waste because you didn't have time to pull together a tidy conclusion. This gets some of our practice out of the way, so we don't have to spend my prime teaching time with them practicing basic skills.

Also, we do school on Saturdays. They get to have a "computer day" on one of their therapy days (there are only a few hours left anyway). They love the computer day -- all we have is learning programs, NOTHING else -- and know that it wouldn't be possible if I couldn't teach on Saturdays. Sundays are totally off school.

Hang in there -- I hate all the running around to different therapies.

Sandy

My son has Apraxia and my dd SPD so I understand spending your life in a therapist's waiting room. I would do read alouds in the waiting room and the kids would bring workbooks and any books they were reading. We would also be doing school on Saturday. The three oldest can't get away with 2 days a week imo. The rest of the kids would be fine on 2 days a week.

A couple of ideas, just as I'm musing about how I might go about it--

A university model where you teach *really* intensely 4+ hours, double up math/grammar lessons on 2 days a week and then the older 2 or 3 do reading and their own assignments in the waiting room and in the car enroute to and from therapy. But you'd have to hit the two days at home running and maybe do Saturdays too as suggested.

Maybe evening lessons, after you're home and everyone has had an early dinner and a break, try and do a couple hours of lessons, is your husband home to watch the littles in the evening or could you put them to bed earlier and give the older ones time for school then? Then sleep in a little later in the morning?

Or wake up earlier, have the big kids get a couple of solid hours in and just do reading/CDs/ind. work in the waiting rooms?

In many states, schooling only two days each week would mean that you would have to do school for 90 weeks every year......to get your 180 days in.

I don't get 90 weeks in my year, so I couldn't do it. I think that the minimum you can do is 4 days each week, but that is just how I have worked it out for MY family.

We have the same 45 minute travel time, but only hour long sessions (so far). I've also been able to get the 1:30 time slot for OT. I won't know on speech until next week though.

My oldest does work/reading in the car. Her workload jumped in a few classes this week, so she is now going to have to bring work to do during instead of entertaining the youngest.

I do think that you need to switch to something easier to carry around. Is there room for you to work in the waiting room? I think i'd be getting some sort of lap desk with storage for the oldest two (does the 7yo have a break before sessions) at a minimum. Then the night before load up what they need.

I'd probably switch to CLE Light Units so there isn't a lot of materials to take. We do BJU Distance learning and i have the ability to put the kids classes on computer or my iPod Touch do watch on the go too. You might consider that for the oldest too (some sort of DVD based distance learning). And "van school" for sure.

But that is too big of a chunk to give up (especially when the oldest 2 aren't the ones in therapy). We make up days on the weekends sometimes too.

What subjects are you teaching with huge teacher's manuals? Could you use a xerox machine and copy the relevant pages?

I'd do memory work on the drive there (math facts, grammar lists, poems, etc) and listen to books on cd on the way home. In the waiting room, I would give assignments and have the school aged kids (11, 8, 7, 6) do math, grammar, spelling, handwriting, reading aloud, etc. I'd just take over the waiting room and have them all do their work. I might have the littles watch dvds on a portable dvd player and play with small toys, etc. I'd just bring along a big backpack and maybe have the older kids have their own backpacks. You really can do almost everything except hands on activities (science experiments, art projects, mummifying chickens, etc) in the waiting room. Can read and write there. Those hands on activities can wait till the other days.

I might also use Saturday as a school day. But I wouldn't write off that "stuck in the waiting room" time. That's prime teaching time! Heck, they aren't distracted by tv or legos or going outside, etc. Not that it's ideal or fun.......but, I would try not to have a two day week.

Earplugs work great for reading (writing, math, etc) away from quiet places .... and even in the house really.

We prefer this Howard Leight

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=6C7ZKVvCtY2KLjzLy8PFWkQwJmhVB5ddpMzX8kV9FF2n4KTqjz05!-691366594?filterBy=default&skuId=456917&productId=456917&navAction=push&navCount=1&no_new_crumb=true

:seeya:

important to choose your curriculum based on ease of carrying with you and doing in waiting rooms.

I agree.

and those days are just too hard to school on.

But then again, if it's too hard, then by definition it is not do'able, so.....

It kind of depends on your priorities, willingness to adapt to your Reality.

But we all can only do so much.....and often it's not as much as the Next Mom can do, and I completely respect that. ;)

My son was in speech 2 afternoons a week and in OT 1 afternoon a week. Luckily they were all pretty local but it still takes time to get in car, drive there, etc.

My daughter got quite good at doing her homework in the waiting room.

Its a pain to lug all those books but once you get in the swing of things it becomes much easier.

We have been doing school at the library (too hot in my house) so I pack the backpacks the night before, the pencil cases are filled and stay in the backpack, folder with extra paper stays in backpack. My bag filled with teachers manuals, etc is always ready and waiting at the door.

Its a pain to lug all those books but once you get in the swing of things it becomes much easier..

We like LandsEnd rolling backpacks. I think they have a couple types. We get the matching lunchbox that hangs/attaches to the rolley.

And also use pencil boxes so those little pencils, erasers, etc., things don't get lost

And boxes for 3x5 homemade flashcards. I can't find a link, but they are about 3x5 size also, about an inch think, and snap.

And also use pencil boxes so those little pencils, erasers, etc., things don't get lost

And boxes for 3x5 homemade flashcards.

And earplus, as I mentioned somewhere earlier.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WheeledMultiTaskBackpack~198922_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::VNO&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000001286&origin=index

A couple of ideas, just as I'm musing about how I might go about it--

A university model where you teach *really* intensely 4+ hours, double up math/grammar lessons on 2 days a week and then the older 2 or 3 do reading and their own assignments in the waiting room and in the car enroute to and from therapy. But you'd have to hit the two days at home running and maybe do Saturdays too as suggested.

Maybe evening lessons, after you're home and everyone has had an early dinner and a break, try and do a couple hours of lessons, is your husband home to watch the littles in the evening or could you put them to bed earlier and give the older ones time for school then? Then sleep in a little later in the morning?

Or wake up earlier, have the big kids get a couple of solid hours in and just do reading/CDs/ind. work in the waiting rooms?

I double up many times too! My dd likes to read and wakes up at 6:00-6:30. She reads then. For your older kids, if they get up early enough have them start their work then that would make the most use of that morning time. Also, in the car.....I know that "can" be hard, but it's worth trying to get something accomplished one or both ways when you go to the appt. And, I agree with an after dinner, although maybe only 30-60 min.....you want family time too, and make up on Sat for a bit.

Lastly, put it in God's hands. He knows when and how much "schooling" your dc need.

Bless you.

Sheryl <><

No, I don't think it is fair to your older children to only do school twice a week. I'm trying to imagine my 6th grader trying to cram all of his work into two days. Not only would he not be able to cover as much material but I doubt he'd retain much of what he did cover.

You've received some good suggestions already regarding transporting curriculum, using your drive time and waiting room time, etc. I'd definetely stay home those other two days and focus on school though and probably do some Saturday school as well. Aren't you also out most days for boxing?

Has anyone done this? I have 4 kids in speech classes 3x a week 3 of them have verbal apraxia so speech can't change and those days are just too hard to school on. Any advice on how?

This sounds like a toughie! Here's a :grouphug: for working so hard to make it work for everyone.

If I were you, I'd focus on making the mornings as productive as possible. Easy, simple breakfasts with as much done the night before as humanly possible. I'd even opt for granola bars and yogurt, or something along those lines. If your little ones sleep until 8, get yourself up at 6 to get ready quickly in peace and quiet. Get the older three up at 6:30 and have them start their work by 7. At 7 get the next one up and get her started soon after. By the time the little ones are up at 8, you can sit them down for breakfast while you continue working with the schooling ones.

Get the schooling ones going on some independent work and take the time to get the littles ready to go. I know it's nice to have older ones help with little ones when trying to get out of the house, but in your situation I think it's more important to have the older ones focusing on their schooling.

Like others mentioned, pare down what you need to bring, try some dvd classes, get individual dvd players for the older ones to do classes in the waiting room. Perhaps the office even has an empty conference room with a table you can use while there, and vacate if it's needed. That can help you keep the focus on school instead of waiting room happenings.

I wish you the best. I only have four, but we do waiting room school three days a week as well. I have two in different therapies. My schooling ones use the BJU DVD program with individual dvd players. It's been a blessing to have that to lean on!!!

I think it would be impossible. Can you schedule the appts for afternoon? How about getting them all lap desks so they can do some work in the car? If not, I'd say homeschooling on the weekends would be necessary. You can stick to the core learning and do the science/history etc. on 2 days and weekends?

I'm really sorry for your predicament and hope this doesn't last long term!

:grouphug:

I just drop my son off at boxing on the way home and DH picks him up on the way home from work during winter boxing hours(school year). I scheduled my days to match boxing days so we don't miss any more days. My husband is a kick boxing trainer and sometimes if he doesn't have a work truck I have to wait in town for him. Boxing is 6 days a week but the 2 days home my dh takes him to the gym the sametime as him in the evenings. I tried to get speech later or have them come out but no can do. I was thinking of more independent work to take with us.

For speech it is schedule block she had open so she could put all my kids in. It is pretty much at least the next 2 yrs. Boxing is in the evening so that isn't a option and not doing boxing is not a option. Saturdays after boxing is open but its the only "family " day we have.

For speech it is schedule block she had open so she could put all my kids in. It is pretty much at least the next 2 yrs. .

What I would do is find out exactly how many on-task hour-blocks I have for schooling.

And then just prioritize.

I would have them daily do:

Math - facts only, then Saxon. Very portable

Reading - independent reading, 3 half hours daily, here is where you put in your topics of history/science/literature/religion/LivingMath/library books/Usborne, etc. Very portable.

Writing - Written Narration about what they read. Very portable.

Vocab - Wordly Wise. Very portable.

No teacher manuals.

Very portable

You cover all your basic skills

You cover all your basic topics (science, history, literature)

Very independent when need be.

In two years they will be well-read,

increased in vocabulary for future reading comprehension in their studies,

exposure to many subject areas (history science literature),

facility with writing daily, facility with the pencil,

two years ahead in an independent math program (Saxon 54 and up)

And then in two years, I'd see what my schedule was like, and adjust at that point.

For speech it is schedule block she had open so she could put all my kids in. It is pretty much at least the next 2 yrs. Boxing is in the evening so that isn't a option and not doing boxing is not a option. Saturdays after boxing is open but its the only "family " day we have.

What are your teacher-intensive subjects? Do any of your children work independently? You could either double up those subjects on the days you have speech, you could get them up earlier on speech days and cover those subjects before you leave, or you could take it all with you and do the work at the facility. Does the facility have a television you could use or can you take a laptop or DVD player for the little ones to watch a movie while you work with the older children on school?

If the facility does not have a room available for you then you could get lap desks for the children to work on.

What about Sundays? Can you do any school work on Sunday?

My oldest I went through his school and he can do mostly all his except english (easy grammar) and spelling (mcguffey speller)

My 2-2nd graders

Saxon math

Easy grammar and FLL

WWE

Mcguffey speller

I have Abeka history science and health I also add SOTW and apologia

Phonics pathway

Pretty much the same for 1st grade

I'd probably switch to CLE Light Units so there isn't a lot of materials to take.

This is a good suggestion. CLE is very portable.

www.clp.org

And no, I wouldn't try to homeschool with just two days a week. I would have my older kids take work with them to the appointments. I'd add evening study time on the speech therapy days.

You could even see if there's another homeschooling mom who could watch the older kids once or twice a week and do the teaching. Or if there's a college kid who could drive the littles to speech once in a while.

Do you go to church? Is there speech transportation something you could get the church family to help with?

I would rely more on a workbook approach...perhaps Spectrum for spelling, phonics/word study, language arts, and possible reading comprehension. The instructions explain the concept and what to do on the pages; no teacher's manual required. Then something like Math-U-See for math (only requires teaching once per week-long lesson) and SOTW for history.

I'd get a cart on wheels to carry our stuff. They have carts that look like large milk crates on wheels or you could get soft ones made for knitters at JoAnn's Fabrics. I'd get each child the kind of clipboard that opens up with storage inside and a pencil box.

In the clipboards, I'd put their worksheets for the day. In the pencil boxes, I'd put in a pencil or two, small sharpener, eraser, colored pencils, and anything else you think they need.

I'd listen to SOTW in the car on the way there and have them do the corresponding student pages when we got there. They could also do their language arts and math there as well. Add in books for independent reading, supplemental history reading, or science reading and you have more than a full day covered.

I think it would be vitally important to choose your curriculum based on ease of carrying with you and doing in waiting rooms. Also, I would say school on the weekends would be absolutely important. You older ones will suffer from too little school only 2 days, in my opinion. :)

:iagree: I would find curiculum that can be taken with you and do school while there.

We had a time when we were in Dr. offices at least 3 days a week for several hours at a time. The things that worked for us were: getting up an hour earlier to squeeze in some school work before appointments, using an MP3 player so DS could tune out the noise in the waiting room/car and get some work done. Like you, evenings and weekends were pretty booked up, so that option was off. We doubled up on core subjects on the days we stayed home and left the "extras" (history, science) for appointment days. Often DS didn't get much done in the waiting room because he had to watch his little sister for me, but he did try to get some done in the car.

I think it can be done on 2 days a week if you can make use of car time and focus/double up on core subjects on the days you are home.

Correcting my boys apraxia is sooo imporant to me! Being able to talk clearly is sooo much more important than most things in life. It will affect them their whole life if we don't "fix" it now. My oldest son has a 11 year old friend with bad speech problems his mom sent him to public school K5 for "weekly" speech and never did anymore since sending him to a small private school who doesn't work on his speech. His speech is sooo bad you can't understand hardly anything. All she says is he will out grow it. She said her insurance would cover speech but driving there and dealing with it is too much hassel. But to me the hassel will be the biggest blessing someday!