Menu

Brussels sprouts recipe, anyone?

My dc will eat anything with butter and garlic, but I'm lookin' for something else to do with some brussels sprouts...any suggestions? Thank you!
Yes. Spread a layer of newspaper on your counter. Place sprouts in center of newspaper. Wrap sprouts tightly in newspaper. Spread another layer of newspaper on counter, and place previously created bundle in center. Wrap tightly as in first step. Repeat one more time. Then carry bundle to trash can and drop in.

Slice them in half, blanche (briefly!), then drain. Toss with a wee bit of olive oil, sprinkle some salt, and roast them at 400 degrees till you see a little browning going on.

I never used to care for brussels sprouts, but I think they're actually pretty tasty this way!

Yes. Spread a layer of newspaper on your counter. Place sprouts in center of newspaper. Wrap sprouts tightly in newspaper. Spread another layer of newspaper on counter, and place previously created bundle in center. Wrap tightly as in first step. Repeat one more time. Then carry bundle to trash can and drop in.

:tongue_smilie:That's what I say, but once a quarter I make 'em and suffer through for nutrition's sake :lol:

Slice them in half, blanche (briefly!), then drain. Toss with a wee bit of olive oil, sprinkle some salt, and roast them at 400 degrees till you see a little browning going on.

I never used to care for brussels sprouts, but I think they're actually pretty tasty this way!

They are delicious prepared this way!

My dd's recipe:

Saute garlic in olive oil. Cut sprouts in half, cook in olive oil with garlic. Add rosemary and tarragon. Serve with sliced almonds on top.

Even sprout haters will love this! :)

:iagree:

Yes, I use this recipe too! Never fails. Occasionally I put them in the compost. They keep animals away. Maybe vampires too?

Yep. My family can't get enough roasted Brussel sprouts.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts/Detail.aspx

Yep, this is the way I make them. :lol:

EXACTLY! Until my mom made them this way last Thanksgiving, I would have rather starved to death than eat one. Really. The newspaper recipe above was about where I was with them. ICK!

But seriously---- do exactly as AbbeyJ says and you will be amazed-- they're kind of, I don't know....nutty? We eat them all the time now. Even dh, who looked at me like I had three heads and offered to take dd to McDonalds on the spot when he saw me trimming their little ends loves them this way.

Really--- trust me. I have seen the light!

astrid

I love brussel sprouts...

Here is my kids favorite way...

Steamed with butter, sliced almonds and a tad bit of Almond oil/flavoring. I like to shred them like confetti.

Second way to prepare them is to...

shred them and saute them in olive oil and butter and toss in minced garlic till it browns and then add procuitto. It is HEAVEN....

samba in sac

:iagree:

Yes, I use this recipe too! Never fails. Occasionally I put them in the compost. They keep animals away. Maybe vampires too?

We used to have pet rats. They loved when we gave them veggies for treats. They'd grab them out of our hands and run into their little house (in their cage) and feast in private. Once, when MIL was visiting, she cooked brussels sprouts. We gave one to the rats. As usual, they grabbed it and ran into their house. A few seconds later, one of them ran out of the house carrying the brussels sprout and carried it to the far corner of their cage and deposited the sprout there. Then they ran back into their house, ignoring the sprout thereafter. Rats are very smart.

:iagree::iagree:Hey! That's MY recipe! Thief!

My favorite way to eat Brussels sprouts is to microwave them with a tiny bit of water until they are lightly steamed (still nice and crunchy), then slice in two and dip them in French onion dip! You get regular mommy credit for eating something healthy AND international credit for serving foods with the names of two foreign locations in the titles:D!

I cut a deep cross into the base of fresh ones and stir fry on very hot fire with peanut oil and Szechuan pepper (toasted) and salt. You can use black pepper. Fry until the outer leaves get very dark.

Very delicious.

You can get toasted Sichuan Pepper and salt mix at Penzey's Spices.

We are a Brussels sprouts-loving family here!

Two of our faves: (I don't use recipes so these are all guesstimates based on our own tastes and amount of sprouts we are using...sorry:001_huh:)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Walnuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Trim and quarter Brussels sprouts (about 4-6 C.)

Chop 1/2 - 1 C. walnuts

In jelly roll pan, cube and scatter about 2-3 T. butter.

Layer Brussels sprouts and walnuts in pan. Salt and pepper to taste.

Roast for about 15 mins. or until sprouts are just tender.

Blue Cheese Brussels Sprouts

Trim and halve Brussels sprouts (about 4-6 C.)

In large saucepan, over med. heat, heat 4 C. whipping cream til just bubbly.

Add 1-2 C. crumbled blue cheese (depending on how blue-cheesy you want it) and heat until melted.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add Brussels sprouts and simmer in sauce, stirring frequently, 15 minutes over low heat until sprouts are tender and sauce has thickened.

I'm an oddball who loves sprouts however they're cooked, but this recipe ROCKS. Seriously. It's called "Brussels Sprouts for People Who Think They Hate Brussels Sprouts" ;)

· 1 pound Brussels sprouts

· 1 teaspoon salt

· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

· 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, or to taste

· 5 cloves garlic, finely minced

· 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste, preferably freshly grated

· 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and remove and discard any discolored outer leaves. If sprouts are large (more than 1 inch in diameter), cut them in quarters lengthwise through the stem end. If smaller, cut them in half.

2. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil, add salt and the sprouts. Boil the sprouts uncovered until they are just crunchy-tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook them. Drain the sprouts well.

3. Wipe and dry the pot and heat the olive oil in it. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the sprouts and nutmeg and sauté for another minute. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and toss the sprouts until the cheese melts.

Yep. My family can't get enough roasted Brussel sprouts.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts/Detail.aspx

That's the basic recipe I use. I buy frozen brussel sprouts, so I throw them in the microwave for 5 minutes while the oven is warming up to pre-cook them a bit, then I roast them in the oven like the recipe says. I just had an executive chef over the other night and he tried them. He said they were the best he ever had and asked for the recipe. He couldn't believe when I told him how simple it was.