Menu

For those concerned about forced vaccinations

Injunction issued to stop compulsory vaccination in the US

30 years after compulsory vaccination became US Law:

US Court issues an injunction to stop it and to hold the the government and drug companies responsible for reactions.

I didn't know that the Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius signed document stating the Federal government will force these flu vaccines onto the American public against their will.:001_huh:

Edited by Gretchen in NJ

In Maine, our Dept. of Health has ordered enough doses of the vaccine to administer one to each child attending public schools. The "word on the street" is that the schools will be sending home a notice that each child will receive a vaccination on "x" day -- there is NO place to opt out, no signature for consent, nothing!!

I just attended a homeschooling workshop and heard Eric Lansing from parentalrights.org speak out against all this garbage...it stems from the push to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. He had copies of vaccine exemption forms there along with lots of information on the dangers of vaccines. (It might be available on their website...you could check there if you're interested.)

I cannot interpret this post.

The first section conveys that compulsory vaccination shall NOT be allowed.

The second section alleges that Secretary Sebelius has engineered a compulsory vaccination.

As either section negates the other, could somebody please untangle the post ?

Thanks !

I didn't know that the Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius signed document staing the Federal government will force these flu vaccines onto the American public against their will.:001_huh:

I cannot interpret this post.

The first section conveys that compulsory vaccination shall NOT be allowed.

The second section alleges that Secretary Sebelius has engineered a compulsory vaccination.

As either section negates the other, could somebody please untangle the post ?

Thanks !

The court it's being held in is New Jersey, so I'm not sure if it's going to be national... someone more knowledgable could clear that up.

Anyway, they're trying to make swine flu vaccines mandatory for ps children. We got a note about dd, already, and school hasn't even started.

It hasn't gone through the court system yet, it's just being brought up now, from what I understand (making compulsery illegal). I believe part of the idea is that a child would not be allowed to attend school without either the vaccination or else an exemption (assuming that state has exemptions in place).

Thank you, "L.F.'99" (your name's too long to type ! :)) and "ThreeBundles". I confess to not having followed the link in the original post, else I would have observed the NJ connection. As 30-year-old legislation is cited, I guess I should assume that Secretary Sebelius' action was the trigger for NJ court to act ?

I wonder if private schools shall be pressured to comply. (One of our dc attends an outside school.)

What about public higher education institutions? . . .

There was a news article a few weeks ago that seem to say they would be for everyone... but many felt that ONLY meant those in schools & relegious exemptions would apply. Perhaps the first suspicions from reading it were accurate.

Even with the relegious exemptions... most are not aware of them (as we homeschoolers are)... and just do as they are told. My family members take every shot the school or health dept says they should. They never ask a single question... just blind trust.:001_huh:

Thanks goodness this court is taking some steps to follow the constitution and protect liberty!!!

This article was originally published on Natural News. Here is an update:

Preliminary Injunction to Halt Mandatory Flu Vaccination in the U.S. Has Been Issued (correction)

(NaturalNews) Editor's Note: It has come to our attention that the following article is factually incorrect. It was written by a contributing writer, then approved by an in-house editor who did not catch the significant errors in this article. As a result of these significant errors, and due to our commitment to publishing only true and accurate information to the best of our ability, we have made an editorial decision to reject further articles from this author.

NaturalNews deeply regrets this unintentional error, and we are brainstorming new ways to put in place tighter fact-checking oversight so that the same mistake does not happen again in the future. We thank all those who have brought this important matter to our attention, and we pledge to increase our efforts to reject stories that contain factual inaccuracies.

For the record, what was factually incorrect about the story (which we confirmed by phone with a clerk of United States District Court of Trenton, New Jersey) is that no such injunction has been filed. Thus, the entire premise of the story was factually incorrect.

Here at NaturalNews, we strive to bring you accurate, honest information on these topics, and we deeply regret the unintentional publishing of the inaccurate information that previously appeared in this article space.

all vaccinations are compulsory, are they not?

And, the drug companies are already exempt from law suits, right?

So did Sibelius sign anything new into law, or is what she signed a continuation of a policy that was already in effect?

Hyperventilating here at the thought of a mandated H1N1 vaccination program . . .

I am so confused about the Swine Flu H1N1 vaccine. I keep reading that it will be required, and you can not exempt from it. Will it be forced on everyone? Will they come to your house and force you to take it? I just can't imagine that happening. What are they going to do require everyone to carry a piece of paper that states they took this vaccine in order to go anywhere in public? How can it be forced on every American?

So did Sibelius sign anything new into law, or is what she signed a continuation of a policy that was already in effect?

Hyperventilating here at the thought of a mandated H1N1 vaccination program . . .

No, No, No clue.

Vaccinations are not compulsory, they are advised. You may choose to vaccinate, partially vaccinate, delay vaccinate, or fully vaccinate. In areas where it is mandatory, with the exception of the military, you can declare an exemption: medical, philosophical, and/or religious. Some states recognise one, two, or all three exemptions. The best thing to do is to find a good doctor that is in line with your views and medical history, keep communication open, and CYA with a self typed exemption, signed, and notarized. If you ever get "red flagged" through a school, WIC, or other such, a written exemption paper shows some knowledge of the subject matter and thought out reasoning.

There is a fund for children injured by vaxes. HOWEVER, the red tape, paper work, and issues that your doctor may face in filing that paperwork causes many severe reactions to go unreported or blamed on something else (even if there is no logical reason for such and such to have caused said reaction).

No, No, No clue.

Vaccinations are not compulsory, they are advised.

OK, that makes sense.

Fortunately, we have a wonderful doctor who is fully supportive of the way we have chosen to handle this issue.

But the H1N1 vac is still a cause for concern.

I didn't know that the Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius signed document staing the Federal government will force these flu vaccines onto the American public against their will.:001_huh:

I can find not one thing out there that says she has signed any papers saying that the swine flu vaccine will be mandated, and now we know that this NJ piece of legislature is, in fact, wrong.

H1N1 is not a serious flu. I'd take my chances with it vs an untested vaccine. What I want to know is what is different about the H1N1 vaccine than the regular flu vaccine which we normally receive. I know that back in the day (70's?) there was a swine flu outbreak and our military was given the vaccine, like it or not - and there were problems.

I guess this puts me in the "one the fence" camp.

Thank you, "L.F.'99" (your name's too long to type ! :)) and "ThreeBundles". I confess to not having followed the link in the original post, else I would have observed the NJ connection. As 30-year-old legislation is cited, I guess I should assume that Secretary Sebelius' action was the trigger for NJ court to act ?

I wonder if private schools shall be pressured to comply. (One of our dc attends an outside school.)

What about public higher education institutions? . . .

It was my understanding that her order was not just for PS students, but for everyone.

It was my understanding that her order was not just for PS students, but for everyone.

Well, they'd have to find me first, right?

I don't know how they could even sort of expect to a. have enough, b. be able to force everyone to take part, and c. control the situation when they have those that refuse.

PS kids worry me because dd is one and those kids are in a gov. controlled environment through much of the day. Forcing them would be easy.

The court it's being held in is New Jersey, so I'm not sure if it's going to be national... someone more knowledgable could clear that up.

Anyway, they're trying to make swine flu vaccines mandatory for ps children. We got a note about dd, already, and school hasn't even started.

It hasn't gone through the court system yet, it's just being brought up now, from what I understand (making compulsery illegal). I believe part of the idea is that a child would not be allowed to attend school without either the vaccination or else an exemption (assuming that state has exemptions in place).

It is the United States District Court of New Jersey.

A bit of information about Mrs. Sebelius (this is one of many sites) that explains that she signed a document to protect drug manufacturers from litigation.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=643514&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult&sid=871671eac0054d228d3f4cb283e0e2ec

My (limited) understanding is that when a pandemic is announced, mandatory vax can be ordered for the public. :confused:

Wasn't their something about the vaccine used in the 70s and that more people died from the vaccine than from the flu itself?

This stuff scares the heck out of me.

My oldest is supposed to enroll in school for speech therapy but if they require any vaccinations then forget it. I'd rather pay and hire a private therapist.

Oops. I guess there has been no injunction.:001_huh: I am checking with my orginal source.:blush5:

Oh, darn it!!! I was excited to see this post. What a bummer. DD3 will be attending preschool this year, and I just today remembered the law about the stupid mandatory flu vaccine thing. I was hoping I'd have a platform to fight from, but it seems not.

I didn't know that the Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius signed document stating the Federal government will force these flu vaccines onto the American public against their will.:001_huh:

I'm absolutely pro-vax, but compulsory without exemption is downright crazy. What about kids with special health conditions, especially egg allergies???? This could kill someone!

Oh, darn it!!! I was excited to see this post. What a bummer. DD3 will be attending preschool this year, and I just today remembered the law about the stupid mandatory flu vaccine thing. I was hoping I'd have a platform to fight from, but it seems not.

I would still fight it and at least delay it. Read Blueridge's link. Who knows? It might be possible to delay it until flu season is over.

Edited by Gretchen in NJ

I would still fight it and at least delay it. Read Blueridge's link. How knows? It might be possible to delay it until flu season is over.

This is my plan, though I'm also willing to opt out of preschool if necessary. DD3 is not so set on going that she'll care if I pull her. It's completely optional at this point. Blech.

I'm going to be giving these vac's this fall and I have not heard anything about mandatory vac's. I don't think there will be enough vac's for everyone. In that type of situation those most at risk take priority. This would include school children and the elderly. Some people may NOT receive vac's due to contraindications. So obviously not EVERYONE can receive it. These vac's are still in clinical trials right now. I think around 1800 people worldwide have died from this. So far I don't consider it more serious than any other form of flu we've had. That could change of course, but don't borrow trouble and keep the tinfoil in the drawer for now.

Just my .02.

That said, I would not allow my dd to receive it.

H1N1 is not a serious flu. .

Really?

Tell that to the family of a 27 year old healthy woman who died after massive organ failure.

And left behind her infant.

http://www.kirotv.com/health/20383809/detail.html

PUYALLUP, Wash. -- The grieving husband of a pregnant woman stricken with swine flu urged others with flu-like symptoms to get tested for the disease after his wife lost her battle this week with the H1N1 virus.

Kenny Flyte said he wants to warn others to prevent it from happening to them.

"No one should have to go with what I and our family as a whole has to go through, nobody," Flyte told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Deborah Horne.

Flyte's 27-year-old wife, Katie, was sick for seven weeks before she died Tuesday at Harborview Medical Center. The baby she was pregnant with had already been delivered -- alive -- as she lay in a drug-induced coma.

"Basically, her heart, her liver, her gallbladder, her kidneys, every organ in her body had had enough," Flyte said.

Katie Flyte was nearly seven months pregnant when she got sick. But an initial test doctors gave her came back negative, so she went home.

After she got increasingly sicker, doctors used a more sophisticated test -- a saline test -- that revealed she had swine flu. She spent the next 44 days at Harborview trying to fight it.

Her husband is warning others who may be sick, too, "to go get a test, and especially if they're pregnant; they need to make sure that they get the saline test."

Flyte said his baby girl is holding her own. She weighs 5 pounds now, more than twice her birth weight.

------

And what about the healthy teen who died on a plane?

Aug. 3 (Bloomberg) -- A 15-year-old Brazilian girl who died on a flight yesterday to Sao Paulo from the U.S. was taking Tamiflu, the antiviral drug used to treat swine flu, O Globo reported. The teenager’s aunt said the girl was healthy when she traveled to the U.S. two weeks ago to visit Disneyworld and fell ill on July 29, the Rio de Janeiro-based newspaper reported. She visited a hospital in Orlando and was given Tamiflu, which can be prescribed for the swine flu, also known as the H1N1 virus, O Globo said.

Doctors traveling on the same flight tried to revive the girl after her heart and breathing had stopped, O Globo said.

How about these cases in Malaysia, where kids are dying in less than week of symptom onset?

From Onset to Death: 5 days

Death #5

10 yo girl

Onset: 7/27- no breathing problems. Outpatient treatment @ private clinic.

Treated as outpatient: 7/28 - started breathing difficulties.

Treated @ Bagan Serai health clinic.

DOD: 7/31, while obtaining treatment at Bagan Serai health clinic.

From Onset to Death: 6 days

Death #6:

11 yo boy

Onset: 7/28 - fever only.

Adm: 7/29 - fever only.

ICU: 7/30 - condition worsened.

Confirmation: 8/1

DOD: 8/2

ALL flu is serious. Seasonal flu kills but it kills people who are elderly & seriously immunocompromised (cancer, AIDS, MRSA infection etc...) We have varying levels of natural immunity to the seasonal flu viruses due to past exposures to their previous forms.

THIS flu is killing healthy pregnant women.

THIS flu is killing healthy teens and kids and adults in the prime of their lives.

We don't have ANY immunity to this flu (except those over 65 who seem to have some). And Tamiful resistant cases are popping up already.

I'm not saying vaccinate.

I'm not saying panic.

I am saying don't minimize the risks.

If you look at these lists:

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=283288&postcount=8

you'll see a bunch who have 'underlying conditions'

You know what those conditions are?

Asthma.

Diabetes.

Being overweight.

Being pregnant.

Heart disease.

How many people do you know who fit in one or more of those categories? I know lots.

Almost 40% of the hospitalizations for H1N1 are in people 25-49. You know what's wrong with them? They're drowning in fluid in their lungs. They're hooked up to ventilators. If they're lucky to be in a facility which has access one, they're hooked up to ECMO machines. If they're lucky, they recover. After many, many days in the ICU.

And right there is where the trouble lies - all the public health provisions are not meant to stop the spread. It's impossible now. It's to slow it down. So when it spreads through communities, all your teachers, nurses, garbage truck drivers don't all get it at once. If we can slow the spread, absentee rates will stay bearable. And there will be room in the ICU. If too many people get it at once, businesses will have a hard time functioning and there will be NO ROOM in the ICU.

This was happening in Manitoba in the spring. There are only so many machines, so many beds, & so many specialized nurses to care for the patients. Manitoba was scrambling during the outbreak in Northern native communities, cancelling leave for medical staff & frantically borrowing vents from other facilities. They were lucky because other areas were not badly affected & could lend a hand.

But what happens if everyone is hit at once?

What do you do with cases when the ICU's are full? When all the vents are in use? There aren't that many of them, you know. Local hospitals might have 2-10 of them....That's why non-elective surgeries get cancelled when there are emergencies - not enough life support equipment to go around.

I don't think we'll see a total catastrophe continent wide. But I do think we will see some pockets of severe illness and deaths.

For more on what public health folks think is ahead, check out Effect Measure, & esp. their prediction for the fall:

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2009/08/swine_flu_this_fall_turbulence.php

And that's my gloom & doom for today.

:D

Practice good health & good hygiene. Stay home if you're sick - even if it's 'just a cold'. Wash your hands. Stay well.

I'm going to be giving these vac's this fall and I have not heard anything about mandatory vac's. I don't think there will be enough vac's for everyone. In that type of situation those most at risk take priority. This would include school children and the elderly. Some people may NOT receive vac's due to contraindications. So obviously not EVERYONE can receive it. These vac's are still in clinical trials right now. I think around 1800 people worldwide have died from this. So far I don't consider it more serious than any other form of flu we've had. That could change of course, but don't borrow trouble and keep the tinfoil in the drawer for now.

Just my .02.

That said, I would not allow my dd to receive it.

I heard that the high risks groups are different for this flu. I found it odd that pregnant women will be first on the list to receive this vaccine. Have you heard anything about pregnant women?

1. Vaccination exemptions can be obtained - extremely easily in some states, and with extreme difficulty in some.

2. Yes, you are correct. Vaccine Manufacturers are EXEMPT from class or individual lawsuits. The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund is administered by the Gov't and funded by tax dollars.

It is very difficult to prove your case to obtain compensation. In cases when injury/death is clearly proven (I know of one), the compensation is not substantial.

There are only certain injuries that are covered by the fund. These are called "Tabled" injuries if you wish to research.

3. I don't know about this yet. I do think Sebelius is, in a word, evil. So I won't be surprised by anything she attempts.

4. The Patriot Act, signed by Pres. Bush allows for mass-scale forced vaccination. Pres. Obama has renewed the Patriot Act.

5. BHO stated during the campaign, “I am not for selective vaccination. I believe that it will bring back deadly diseases, like polio.â€

4. The Patriot Act, signed by Pres. Bush allows for mass-scale forced vaccination. Pres. Obama has renewed the Patriot Act.

Can you provide some evidence for this? I just searched the Patriot Act, and this is everything related to vaccines that I can find:

(10) New vaccines and treatments are needed to assure that we have an adequate response to a biochemical attack.

(5) Targeting research to assist with the development of appropriate therapeutics and vaccines for likely bioterrorist agents and assisting with expedited drug and device review through the Food and Drug Administration.

(6) Improving the National Pharmaceutical Stockpile program by increasing the amount of necessary therapies (including smallpox vaccines and other post-exposure vaccines) and ensuring the appropriate deployment of stockpiles.

There are no federal mandatory vaccination laws. States determine their own laws regarding vaccines. States have had various mandatory vaccine laws dating back to the early 1800s, so this is not a new concept.

Congressional Research Service put out a report on selective legal issues regarding H1N1. Covers such issues as border closures, quarantine laws & vaccination.

http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/R40560_20090506.pdf

(I have saved a copy of this; if that document disappears off the web pm me for a copy. )

excerpt:

Mandatory Vaccination

Many states also have laws providing for mandatory vaccinations during a public health emergency or outbreak of a communicable disease. Generally, the power to order such actions rests with the governor of the state or with a state health officer.

With respect to the preservation of the public health in cases of communicable disease outbreaks, these powers may include the enactment of mandatory vaccination laws

In addition, exemptions may be provided for medical reasons or whereobjections are based on religion or conscience. However, if a person refuses to be vaccinated, he or she may be quarantined during the public health emergency giving rise to the vaccination order.

I've extensively googled "mandatory swine flu vaccine" and funnily enough the ONLY sites I've been able to find that say the vaccines will be mandatory in the US are polemical blogs and alarmist websites. The only countries Reuters says may be planning truly mandatory/unversal vaccination are Greece and the UK. Everything I've seen regarding the US that quotes actual sources (as opposed to fear-mongering and skewing facts to fit their own political agenda) uses words like "may," "might," "could," "possibly," etc. For example:

WASHINGTON — Schoolchildren could be first in line for swine flu vaccine this fall — and schools are being put on notice that they might even be turned into shot clinics. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday she is urging school superintendents around the country to spend the summer preparing for that possibility, if the government goes ahead with mass vaccinations. "If you think about vaccinating kids, schools are the logical place," Sebelius told The Associated Press.

No decision has been made yet on whether and how to vaccinate millions of Americans against the new flu strain that the World Health Organization last week formally dubbed a pandemic, meaning it now is circulating the globe unchecked. But the U.S. is pouring money into development of a vaccine in anticipation of giving at least some people the shots.

While swine flu doesn't yet seem any more lethal than the regular flu that each winter kills 36,000 people in the U.S. alone, scientists fear it may morph into a more dangerous type. Even in its current form, the WHO says about half of the more than 160 people worldwide killed by swine flu so far were previously young and healthy.

If that trend continues, "the target may be school-age children as a first priority" for vaccination, Sebelius said Tuesday. "That's being watched carefully."

Schools do occasionally team up with local health officials for special flu vaccination clinics but it's not common. More than 140 schools around the country scheduled flu vaccination days last fall, some providing free vaccine. Some vaccinated only students bearing parent consent forms; others opened their doors to entire families.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-06-16-swine-flu-vaccine_N.htm

Nothing there suggests that everyone will be forced to accept the vaccination, or that there will be no exemptions allowed, etc. "Mass vaccination" means vaccinating lots of people ~ it does not mean forcing vaccination on everyone whether they like it or not! It means the government is making sure that if this does turn into a dangerous pandemic that they will have enough vaccine available to vaccinate everyone who wants/needs it, and an efficient system for delivering it. If the government didn't do that, and thousands of people died, wouldn't everyone be outraged???

BTW, I'm not pro-vax; I've delayed some of my kids' vaccinations and refused others, and I would probably refuse the swine flu vaccine unless there was a dramatic increase in it's virulence & death rate. And I do believe the CDC is totally in bed with Big Pharma in trying to foist dangerous & unneccessary vaccinations on school kids. However, I think the current panic over "mandatory" swine flu vaccinations ~ based on hearsay, misinformation, and fear-mongering ~ is politically motivated and without basis in fact.

Jackie

I've extensively googled "mandatory swine flu vaccine" and funnily enough the ONLY sites I've been able to find that say the vaccines will be mandatory in the US are polemical blogs and alarmist websites. The only countries Reuters says may be planning truly mandatory/unversal vaccination are Greece and the UK. Everything I've seen regarding the US that quotes actual sources (as opposed to fear-mongering and skewing facts to fit their own political agenda) uses words like "may," "might," "could," "possibly," etc. For example:

Nothing there suggests that everyone will be forced to accept the vaccination, or that there will be no exemptions allowed, etc. "Mass vaccination" means vaccinating lots of people ~ it does not mean forcing vaccination on everyone whether they like it or not! It means the government is making sure that if this does turn into a dangerous pandemic that they will have enough vaccine available to vaccinate everyone who wants/needs it, and an efficient system for delivering it. If the government didn't do that, and thousands of people died, wouldn't everyone be outraged???

BTW, I'm not pro-vax; I've delayed some of my kids' vaccinations and refused others, and I would probably refuse the swine flu vaccine unless there was a dramatic increase in it's virulence & death rate. And I do believe the CDC is totally in bed with Big Pharma in trying to foist dangerous & unneccessary vaccinations on school kids. However, I think the current panic over "mandatory" swine flu vaccinations ~ based on hearsay, misinformation, and fear-mongering ~ is politically motivated and without basis in fact.

Jackie

:iagree::iagree:

I heard that the high risks groups are different for this flu. I found it odd that pregnant women will be first on the list to receive this vaccine. Have you heard anything about pregnant women?

Not from the clinic, but I've read that women who are PG are at the top of the list. I don't know what trials, if any, have been done re: pg women. I'd like to see some real info about this vac. Probably next month.

DD3 will be attending preschool this year, and I just today remembered the law about the stupid mandatory flu vaccine thing. I was hoping I'd have a platform to fight from, but it seems not.

You can get exemptions in every state. http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm I do not know if this will be acceptable should the swine flu vax become mandatory, but this will work for regular flu vax.

http://www.vaccinerights.com/index.html Here is a good place to keep updated on the legal side of the swine flu vax.

However, I think the current panic over "mandatory" swine flu vaccinations ~ based on hearsay, misinformation, and fear-mongering ~ is politically motivated and without basis in fact.

Jackie

I most definately disagree w/ this statement. I don't think there is enough coverage of the H1N1 flu. While I don't think there should be any kind of panic, at this time, there is certainly enough information to warrent some concern. On this very thread there has been information posted as to how young people are being severely affected. Now that is not the norm w/ your typical flu, though all ages can and do die from any flu during the course of a season. When young, seemingly healthy people, die from the flu it causes alarm.

I would not put this in a political arena at all. There are a great many FACTS to cause more concern than is currently being discussed in the MSM.

ETA: I would like to see more information, but it is still being gathered. Panic helps no one. If you are concerned teach your children good handwashing techniques, stay at home during outbreaks, eat healthy, try to maintain a good imune system, and be positive. If you're religious, have faith. If you're not, expect the best. Stress is bad for your immune system. :)

Edited by farmgirlinwv

Here's some more info.

This at least sounds like what I expect to see happen. 40% to 60% of school kids normally get whatever flu is going around in a season.

.................................................. ...............................

WHO predicts 'explosion' of swine flu cases

By GILLIAN WONG (AP) – 5 hours ago

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...H0RwgD9A75RKG0

BEIJING — The global spread of swine flu will endanger more lives as it speeds up in coming months and governments must boost preparations for a swift response, the World Health Organization said Friday.

There will soon be a period of further global spread of the virus, and most countries may see swine flu cases double every three to four days for several months until peak transmission is reached, said WHO's Western Pacific director, Shin Young-soo.

"At a certain point, there will seem to be an explosion in case numbers," Shin told a symposium of health officials and experts in Beijing. "It is certain there will be more cases and more deaths."

WHO has declared the swine flu strain a pandemic, and it has killed almost 1,800 people worldwide through last week. International attention has focused on how the pandemic is progressing in southern hemisphere countries such as Australia, which are experiencing winter and their flu season.

But it is in developing countries where the accelerated spread of swine flu poses the greatest threat as it places under equipped and underfunded health systems under severe strain, Shin said.

WHO earlier estimated that as many as 2 billion people could become infected over the next two years — nearly one-third of the world's population.

Health officials and drug makers are looking into ways to speed up production of a vaccine before the northern hemisphere enters its flu season in coming months. Estimates for when a vaccine will be available range from September to December.

Delegates from Bangladesh and Myanmar appealed for help in procuring vaccines or making them more affordable for poorer countries, saying they were left vulnerable while rich nations pre-ordered most of the available stock.

"Developing countries like us, we have to fight this war without vaccines," said Mya Oo, deputy health minister of Myanmar. He urged pharmaceutical companies to consider selling the vaccines to developing countries at just above cost.

WHO's flu chief, Keiji Fukuda, said the agency was working hard on the issue, and noted that two drug makers had pledged to donate 150 million doses of vaccine to poorer countries by the end of October. He said more research was needed to determine how vaccines will be priced.

"Among the many pandemic response issues, this is probably the most critical issue: how we mobilize the vaccines, how we get them to developing countries," Fukuda said.

WHO has stressed that most cases of swine flu are mild and require no treatment, but the fear is that a rash of new infections could overwhelm hospitals and health authorities, especially in poorer countries.

Shin said governments must act quickly to educate the public, prepare their health systems to care for severe cases and protect those deemed more vulnerable to prevent unnecessary deaths.

"We only have a short time period to reach the state of preparedness deemed necessary," Shin said. "Communities must be aware before a pandemic strikes as to what they can do to reduce the spread of the virus, and how to obtain early treatment of severe cases."

Pregnant women face a higher risk of complications, and the virus also has more severe effects on people with underlying medical conditions such as asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, autoimmune disorders and diabetes, WHO chief Margaret Chan said in a video address.

The last pandemic — the Hong Kong flu of 1968 — killed about 1 million people. Ordinary flu kills about 250,000 to 500,000 people each year.

Swine flu is also continuing to spread during summer in the northern hemisphere. Normally, flu viruses disappear with warm weather, but swine flu is proving to be resilient.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Take it for what it's worth.

ETA: I would like to see more information, but it is still being gathered. Panic helps no one. If you are concerned teach your children good handwashing techniques, stay at home during outbreaks, eat healthy, try to maintain a good imune system, and be positive. If you're religious, have faith. If you're not, expect the best. Stress is bad for your immune system. :)

:iagree:This is what I have been trying to do. I have been making sure my family gets as many fruits and veggies into our diet as I can. I am also making sure my family is taking their multi everyday.;)

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/08/21/swine-flu-antivirals.html

"Worldwide, around 40 per cent of severe cases are now occurring in previously healthy children and adults, usually under the age of 50 years.

"Some of these patients experience a sudden and very rapid deterioration in their clinical condition, usually on day five or six following the onset of symptoms."

Also on Friday, health officials in the U.S. told reporters that swine flu is still spreading widely across the country, with 75 per cent of serious cases and 60 per cent of deaths among people under the age of 49.

A review of fatal cases worldwide associated with the H1N1 pandemic strain concluded at least 49 per cent had underlying disease.

"Two risk factors seem of particular importance: pregnancy and metabolic condition (including obesity, which has not been considered as risk factor in previous pandemics or seasonal influenza),"

(btw, notice the 2nd quote's different tone - at least 49% had underlying conditions v. saying around 40% of severe cases are occuring in previously healthy people. #'s are roughly the same but the tone is different)