Menu

New York school supply stimulus -- $200/child for needy children

From the NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/08/12/2009-08-12_billionaire_feds_give_out_175m_to_aid_neediest_students_around_the_state_its_fre.html

Back to school spree: Billionaire, feds give out $175M to aid neediest students around the state

BY Erica Pearson, Tanyanika Samuels, Kenneth Lovett and Adam Lisberg

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

A $200 back-to-school giveaway for needy kids sparked a mad rush for money on the streets of New York on Tuesday.

"It's free money!" said Alecia Rumph, 26, who waited in a Morris Park, Bronx, line 300 people deep for the cash to buy uniforms and book bags for her two kids.

"Thank God for Obama. He's looking out for us."

Thousands of people lined up at banks and check-cashing shops to withdraw the cash that magically appeared on their electronic benefit cards.

Some rushed out because of rumors the money would vanish by the end of the day.

"Rumors, there's always rumors," said Teresa Medina, who waited four hours at a Pay-O-Matic in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, to get $600 for her three teenagers - just in case they were true.

The no-strings-attached money went to families receiving food stamps or welfare.

Every child between 3 and 17 was eligible for $200, which worked out to 813,845 kids across the state - including 498,866 in the city.

"Times are really tough right now. The situation is bad with money. So it's easy to want to use the money for other things," said Ana Barcos, 31, of Corona, Queens, where 200 people waited outside a check-cashing business.

"But if the money's supposed to be for my kids, then I will use it for my kids."

Billionaire philanthropist George Soros gave $35 million toward the program, with $140 million in federal stimulus funds routed through state government making up the rest.

"It's a help," said Tania Gomez of Chelsea, who withdrew $600 for her kids. "Every penny counts nowadays. It's really something that was unexpected."

Storekeepers were glad to hear about the program, too - and the notebooks, clothes and backpacks it would buy.

"It's good for everyone," said Aziz Boughroum, 31, who works at Stevdan Pen & Stationers in the West Village.

Gov. Paterson and Mayor Bloomberg joined Soros to announce the payments at Public School 208 in Harlem, where the billionaire reminisced that as a penniless student in London, he survived because of a handout he got from Quakers.

"This gift has a special personal meaning to me, because I was once also a recipient of charity," Soros said in a choking voice. "I'm very pleased that I'm able to repay what they gave me."

Paterson's Republican critics blasted the giveaway, saying he should spend the money to reduce property taxes.

"It is a plan that is ripe for fraud and abuse," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos. "This is a totally irresponsible use of federal stimulus money."

With Arianna Davis,

Joe Jackson and Michael Roberts

alisberg@nydailynews.com

I hadn't heard of this. Has anyone else?

of a scene from the play "Evita"

"And the Money Kept Rollin' In (and Out)"

Would you like to try a college education?

Own your landlord's house, take the family on vacation?

Eva and her blessed Fund can make your dreams come true.

Here's all you have to do, my friends.

Write your name and your dream on a card or a pad or a ticket.

Throw it high in the air and, should our lady pick it,

She will change your way of life for a week or even two.

Name me anyone who cares as much as Eva Perón!

Rolling, rolling, rolling. (repeat)

Rolling on out.

And the money kept rolling out in all directions,

To the poor, to the weak, to the destitute of all complexions.

Now cynics claim a little of the cash has gone astray,

But that's not the point my friends.

When the money keeps rolling out, you don't keep books.

You can tell you've done well by the happy grateful looks.

Accountants only slow things down. Figures get in the way.

Never been a lady loved as much as Eva Perón!

Rolling, rolling, rolling, (repeat)

Rolling on out

It irritates me to see Obama viewed as a some guy holding a magic wand...while he's using tax money to do it. This type has been done in the past and rarely works for the good. The thing that is to be done is that CHARITY is the answer for people who need supplies for their kids. It needs to be the supplies themselves handed out so the $$ is known to go to its intended purpose. I just headed up a school supply drive at our church. THAT is charity. Tax $$ is not charity $$.

Edited by Texas T

I would say the way to make sure that someone doesn't just spend it however they want... would be to have the teacher buy the 200$ worth of stuff they "say" they need and have it waiting for the kid *if*, I mean, when they show up. Or have a school store where they have 200$ credit towards their supplies...

I think that generally the trend is "if it's free, it's for me" and a lot of parents (welfare recipient or not) are not very responsible with their kids. I know that if I were to get $200 for school supplies I wouldn't spend it on that! I can go to staples for their 1 cent sale or buy 1 get one free sort of thing and get everything they could possibly need for next to nothing. There are so many outlets for kids to get free supplies nowadays, I can't believe NY is so different. I just got a bag of school supplies from a church and then I just donated some of those back to another group....

I think people are starting to believe the hype that a *new* lunch box and backpack are now required.

ugh.

I don't want you to think that I am against someone on welfare... or would assume that they are "scabbier" that the average person. Our family is technically WAY below poverty level in income.... it is just human nature to spend free money on what you want, or need, not necessarily what it was intended for. Haven't you ever spent birthday money on paying a parking ticket or a bill, instead of spending it on yourself... which is what the person giving the gift intended?

I think, as usual, the intention was good but the application and result is not going to be what was expected. Yes, the kids that would need the supplies most... probably won't see much of it. But a lot of those kids won't end up using those supplies anyway. A sad truth.

Wow! $200 seems like a lot for school supplies. What in the world are they buying?

There's a current thread on this board aksing how people can afford to send their children to school, due to the high cost of supplies, uniforms, fees.

Some people said they spend 100's of dollars per child.

According to the news this morning, average is $550. That counts everything from supplies to clothes and such.

That sounds about right to me. I spend close to $500 just getting the required uniforms for my two PS (well one now). This does not include new shoes and underwear, backpacks etc. They usually need a haircut and then there is the loooong list of required supplies sent home the first day.

That always bothered me too - why can't they send out the supply list ahead of time? It would be sooo nice to purchase everything while it was on sale and they still had things left.

It irritates me to see Obama viewed as a some guy holding a magic wand...while he's using tax money to do it. This type has been done in the past and rarely works for the good. The thing that is to be done is that CHARITY is the answer for people who need supplies for their kids. It needs to be the supplies themselves handed out so the $$ is known to go to its intended purpose. I just headed up a school supply drive at our church. THAT is charity. Tax $$ is not charity $$.

:iagree: Amen, and amen!! While I think it's great for a millionaire to dish out his money to a cause he finds worthy, it makes me positively ILL to see my tax money WASTED in this manner! :cursing:

-Robin

It irritates me to see Obama viewed as a some guy holding a magic wand...while he's using tax money to do it.

:iagree:

If it was just the philanthropist's money, that would be one thing. He can do as he pleases with it. The tax money... that is another thing, and it's not (sigh) "free money."

The money would have gone further if it was given to the schools to buy the supplies. Public schools get fantastic deals on supplies. Teachers would have loved to have had that money to buy notebooks, nice pencils, new scissors. I am sorry to say that I don't consider new shoes and a haircut "school supplies" that is simply taking care of your child.

But what is interesting to me, is that some that are opposed to the $200 hand out aren't opposed to tax breaks on property taxes. So they are ok when a break is given to those who have, but not to those that have not.

I'm not opposed to charity for those who have not. Given freely by those who have. The $200 was not a tax break or a tax deduction.

Property taxes are *paid* by the owners, so, yes, I'm in favor of keeping more of my own money and donating it to causes/charities as I see fit.

So while I try to get by on an income far below the poverty level, due to my husband's continued unemployment, the government gives $ to everyone, because all children should have new things for school?

My kids use their school supplies until they are used up. I make sure to take advantage of the penny deals this time of year, to stock the school supply shelf for refills. I buy binders and books at used curriculum sales and yard sales. It is a rare occasion when new curriculum comes through our doors.

My kids have never been "school" shopping, and I don't think they are deprived. I buy their clothes ahead of time at yard sales, and when they move up a size I "shop" the grow into bins. I don't spend $20 per child to outfit them for school, much less $200. If schools require uniforms, they should be very basic. I know I see uniform clothes at thrift shops, and only a few schools around here require them.

If some misguided millionaire wants to give his money to this cause fine, but this is not the government's job!

I'm not opposed to charity for those who have not. Given freely by those who have. The $200 was not a tax break or a tax deduction.

Property taxes are *paid* by the owners, so, yes, I'm in favor of keeping more of my own money and donating it to causes/charities as I see fit.

:iagree::iagree:

Guest fauxheart

I couldn't agree more, the money should have been given to the schools to purchase school supplies needed instead of handing it out to the people who are already misusing their handouts.

I work for the bank that supplies the debit cards for the NY welfare program. I took calls from hundreds of people on the 11th and 12th who didn't even know why they had the money. Letters were sent ahead of time and obviously not read.

The money will be spent wisely in some cases but many people were not at all shy in saying that it would be spent on their personal needs instead. Every call I took I made it a point to stress that it was for their KIDS for SCHOOL SUPPLIES. I even had people without kids calling in asking, "where my stimulus at?"

It's a rather disgusting job but someone has to do it. If every New Yorker did my job for just one day the whole state would be so upset about how their tax dollars are being spent on a system that is so severely broken.

I do more states than NY and they're all broken but NY is the worst.

I consider my job title "Enabler" and cry on my way home from work many days because it is so very sad.

Why wouldn't they just give the money to Walmart or something? The stores all have the lists of school supplies, so Walmart could make packages for the parents to pick up.

sometimes one needs to look beyond the bubble of one's own world.

there are no Walmarts in NYC. the closest are in NJ, White Plains, NY or out on Long Island - far out suburbs. most who live in NYC do not have cars. and, in case you're wondering, there is no equivalent major chain that operates like walmart that could, theoretically, be just as accessible.

there are no Walmarts in NYC. the closest are in NJ, White Plains, NY or out on Long Island - far out suburbs. most who live in NYC do not have cars. and, in case you're wondering, there is no equivalent major chain that operates like walmart that could, theoretically, be just as accessible.

I think the issue here is the 140mil that taxpayers donated...

Really, I think if Soros simply had a heart for the kids and wanted to make sure they had supplies, he would have hired someone to go and buy $35mil worth of backpacks filled with supplies, and given them straight to the kids. It would be just as easy for parents to wait in line for the supplies as it was for the $. It would be even easier to hand these out at the first teacher's meetings or the first day of school.

A man who is $ savy enough to earn enough $ to donate $35mil...KNOWS what will happen when $200 gift cards are handed out blindly...just sayin'

I guess I'm implying that this was less about donating $35 mil .....and more about relocating the $140 from the taxpayers of NY to the low income families in that state. Magic wands and all.....:glare:

From my hometown paper:

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/762327.html

Some use grant funds to buy frills

By Matthew Spina

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

August 13, 2009, 6:52 AM / 12 comments

The program providing $200 state grants to help needy families buy school supplies contains a few loopholes.

A family can collect $200 even for a 16-year-old who has dropped out of school.

Further, nothing — except the state’s wish that people do the right thing — blocks recipients from spending their grants on video games or any other frill unrelated to school.

“There is truly no way to ensure the families spend the money as it was intended,†said Carol Dankert, Erie County’s acting social services

commissioner, who added, “We certainly want to believe families are going to do the right thing for their kids.â€

The $200 grants will go to more than 800,000 children statewide from the ages of 3 through 17 whose families already qualify for food stamps or other public assistance. There are about 38,000 eligible children in Erie County, meaning the grants for Erie County’s kids alone create a $7.7 million shopping spree.

In Niagara County, about 7,300 children are eligible, meaning the program will deposit $1.48 million there, according to state figures.

A family with three eligible children will collect $600.

For many, it’s a godsend.

“To me, it was a blessing,†said Christine Castro of Cheektowaga, the single mother of a 12-year-old daughter who applied for food stamps after losing her retail sales job about a year ago.

“It’s tough for everybody out here,†she said. “I have credentials. But right now is not the time for people to find the jobs that they want. I was told never to look a gift horse in the mouth.â€

Castro said she spent some of the $200 Tuesday at a Walmart on pencils, paper, notebooks and a dry erase board. At the same time, she saw families using their money for video games and even a television set. “The clerk who cashed me out said people were doing that all day long,†she said.

The state, through the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, timed the program to coincide with the back-to-school shopping season so people would use their grants on school needs, said spokesman Anthony Farmer.

“Obviously, we are encouraging people to do that, but we can’t force them,†he said. “The overwhelming majority of families, we are expecting, are going to use it for the intended purpose, because they face these costs at this time every year.â€

Gov. David A. Paterson called the $175 million program the first of its kind in New York. Philanthropist George Soros and the Open Society Institute donated $35 million, which allowed New York to draw $140 million in federal economic stimulus money.

The grants sparked a frenzy of shopping this week and a crush of phone calls to Social Services agencies. Dankert said recipients believed they had to use the cash quickly or it would dry up. However, she said it is available to recipients into 2010.

Families need not apply for the program. The money is deposited onto the recipients’ electronic benefits transfer cards, also called EBT cards.

While educators and Democratic legislators on the state and federal levels praised the program, it was panned by the State Senate’s Republican leader, Dean Skelos of Nassau County, because the money is not restricted to back-to-school shopping.

“It is a plan that is ripe for fraud and abuse,†Skelos said.

Others see it as a rollback of welfare reform.

“It exemplifies the federal stimulus approach at its worst,†said E. J. McMahon, director of the Empire Center for New York State Policy, part of the fiscally conservative Manhattan Institute. “It’s basically a helicopter drop of cash. It’s justified on the grounds that these people need the money and they will spend it.â€

He said that the $175 million impact on the economy will be almost imperceptible and that there’s no guarantee it will help kids.

McMahon said a better approach would be to give the money to programs already proved effective, or to help workers whose hours were cut.

A breakdown released Tuesday shows $100 million will go to New York City-area families, with the balance split between upstate and Long Island.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. mspina@buffnews.com

I want kids to have school supplies & a good education. I don't want taxpayers' money wasted. Somehow, I don't think I'll live to see both.

But what is interesting to me, is that some that are opposed to the $200 hand out aren't opposed to tax breaks on property taxes. So they are ok when a break is given to those who have, but not to those that have not.

Just for the record, renters do pay property taxes too, they just don't realize it. We are landlords and I think it is unfair for me to get a tax break because I live in the house. If they would lower our taxes also on the houses we rent out, we would be able to charge less for those homes. That would help those that rent. Our rental prices are based on what our mortgage is, what the taxes are, and what our insurance is. Our taxes and insurance are both higher on our rentals than our home. The rent does reflect that.

Melissa

My take on this:

I think it's not a good use of stimulus money. In my mind that is not the reason we passed the stimulus. I've lived in two major cities (and grew up in NY). Both of the large cities I've lived in have a ton of community organizations which help kids in need get everything they need for school. All I could think about when I read about this was what will those charities now do with all the donations they have gotten this year? Hopefully they will pass it on to other states. My gut reaction to it was I won't donate supplies for needy kids back to school anymore. Why should I? The government takes my money and gives the needy more than what I spend for school supplies! Do I think the school supply lists are stupidly long and expensive? Yes, but as we've talked about in the other thread, teachers ask for more supplies than they need to cover those that can't supply anything. Well, I hope anyone in NY State buys only half of what's on the list, since those that can't normally send supplies will be able to this year. I think it's wrong to take from anyone (in the case of the stimulus, they are taking from the taxes our children will pay in the future) and give to someone else by force. And I really think taxes are force. I'm all for donations and donate quite a lot, but I hate this!

Melissa

I have never gotten a break when my landlord's taxes went down. They have never passed that savings on to me. But they have raised the rates for the raised taxes.

The taxes are very high here. What keeps rents low is that the housing prices are low and the demand for rental properties is low.

But yes I agree there is somewhat of a relationship there.

I'm sorry your landlords are like that. Our taxes have never gone down on our rental homes. But when our mortgage did so did our rent.

Melissa

I still think it isn't a bad gesture. All of the multibillionaires just got a bailout. Now we are screaming about $200 for needy children?

Maybe these aren't the right approaches, but I think the governor is trying to be fair to a wide variety of people (not just the rich).

I also agree with the sentiment but not the approach.

The nice thing about giving money is that the recipients will spend it at local businesses so it is a win-win but... I know abuse will be rampant and kids will get shortchanged and in turn so do the taxpayers.

Maybe a better use for the money would have been to order school supplies and to hire temporary workers at one of the schools (before school starts) and have them put packages together in back packs and the parents could come with their credit (not monetary!) and simply pick one up for each child.

Uhh....*yeah!*

I'm opposed to having someone else handing my money to people that didn't earn it, and I'm ok with being given back a tiny bit of what I've paid in. Seems logical to me.

The nice thing about giving money is that the recipients will spend it at local businesses so it is a win-win but... I know abuse will be rampant and kids will get shortchanged and in turn so do the taxpayers.

Maybe a better use for the money would have been to order school supplies and to hire temporary workers at one of the schools (before school starts) and have them put packages together in back packs and the parents could come with their credit (not monetary!) and simply pick one up for each child.

yes, the funds will stimulate the economy of local businesses - that's good all the way around. i think trying to make packages would have been an administrative nightmare and logistically costly and impractical. part of the thinking is that back to school includes clothing, not just pads, pencils, and backpacks.

people will abuse the system and buy non-school items. like food, for instance. because some people will take advantage is not reason to totally deny the programs worth. think AIG or GM.

But any chain could have put the supply packages together and sent them to the schools to be picked up by incoming students.

yes, the funds will stimulate the economy of local businesses - that's good all the way around. i think trying to make packages would have been an administrative nightmare and logistically costly and impractical. part of the thinking is that back to school includes clothing, not just pads, pencils, and backpacks.

people will abuse the system and buy non-school items. like food, for instance. because some people will take advantage is not reason to totally deny the programs worth. think AIG or GM.

Good points :)