Menu

Wedding gift...Your favorite cookbook?

What is your favorite cookbook to give as a wedding gift? We will be attending a wedding of a young couple next month. I have looked online at their registries, but really would like to get them something more practical than a margarita pitcher, KWIM? ;) Young couples crack me up. :D

Can you offer your favorite cookbooks? This is a down-to-earth girl, I don't see any hifalutin recipes in her future. Just a regular casserole, meat and potatoes type of person. Simple, down home recipes.

Any ideas??

I think anything by Rachael Ray would be a hit, especially the 30 min. meals. Everyone seems to be in such a rush in the world now that they feel the "need" to pick up fastfood on the way home from work for dinner. 30 mins. to make a nice meal might encourage her to try some things she might normally not. :)

Blue Ribbon Country Cookbook. This is the cookbook I turn to most. Lots of basic recipes. Good information on kitchen equipment too. I bought this one as a newlywed and it (along with my mother) taught me to cook. Mine is an earlier edition and is now falling apart at the binding. I was glad to see this is still in print.

A while back I saw one from Southern Living that made me think, "Wow, if I knew a young bride, that would be the perfect gift!" I remember it had lots of kitchen how-to in addition to the recipes, which I thought would be great for setting up a first kitchen. It was big, and it was pricey, but it's one I would have loved to receive.

You might be able to find it by looking on the catalogue of the Southern Living at Home web site.

I'll second Betty Crocker (I think there's always a new "Betty Crocker's New Cookbook" coming out). I grew up using my mom's and was happy to get one of my own when I got married. I have dozens of cookbooks and I always reach for Betty Crocker first.

I have the run of the mill 3 ring binder Betty Crocker. It was a wedding present and 15 years later is very well used!

Without a doubt, this is my go-to cookbook. It even has a carrot cake recipe that my normally carrot phobic children LOVE. The 3 ring binder makes it so easy to use as well since it can lay open in the kitchen.

If she is family then maybe getting her mother and grandmothers recipes and make a 3 ring binder with recipes would be good. That would only work for family though. My favorite cookbook is one I made of my great grandmother (who was my second mom since I lived with her after my mother passed) recipes. She used to get her recipes and put them on cards and add them in these 2 boxes. I took those boxes one year and typed them all out. Along with any other great info she had stashed in there. Then I put dividers in it with pretty pictures on each and put them in a 3 ring binder and gave them to my family as Christmas gifts. Everyone cried because we all miss her so much. It is the only cookbook I use. Other than that I just go to allrecipes.com and find a high rated recipe or thepioneerwoman.com

America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

I was actually considering this one (above) or The Joy of Cooking. The New Best Recipe cookbook looks great...for me...but seems it would be a wee overwhelming to a new 20 yo wife without a lot of cooking experience. Perhaps I'm wrong? I sure wish I could see inside these books....that might help in my decision making. I believe a trip to B&N soon is on order. Of course, I've seen their recipe book section and goodness....I could spend weeks there!

As for Betty Crocker. That is what I have, and I have only made two things that I've made more than once....their pancake recipe, and hamburger patty recipe. Both VERY basic. The majority of the recipes just don't inspire me. I AM very visual though, so perhaps if they all had pictures I'd be inspired to try more. ;)

Thanks for all your help! Keep the favorites coming. :D

I was actually considering this one (above) or The Joy of Cooking. The New Best Recipe cookbook looks great...for me...but seems it would be a wee overwhelming to a new 20 yo wife without a lot of cooking experience. Perhaps I'm wrong? I sure wish I could see inside these books....that might help in my decision making. I believe a trip to B&N soon is on order. Of course, I've seen their recipe book section and goodness....I could spend weeks there!

:D

I often give How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. It's got lots of great recipes and really helpful information. I use mine often.

astrid

I would definitely suggest one of these books. I love to cook and have a ton of cookbooks, but I don't have a general, everything under the sun type of cookbook. So I checked Joy of Cooking, How to Cook Everything, and the America's Test Kitchen books out of the library to peruse. I really thought I'd love the America's Test Kitchen book, but I didn't. I liked the format of the Mark Bittman book, but Joy seemed a little more comprehensive.

Can you offer your favorite cookbooks? This is a down-to-earth girl, I don't see any hifalutin recipes in her future. Just a regular casserole, meat and potatoes type of person. Simple, down home recipes.

Any ideas??

I asked my mom for a new recipe box this year for my b-day and she got me this Campbell's one. It not only has the tin and blank recipe cards, but it's FULL of Campbell's recipes. There's a lot of comfort food, very easy recipes, classic recipes. It's not something that's fancy, overwhelming or expensive (some of my friends would probably turn up their noses at it...and Campbell's soup!) but I love it and I think it's cheap enough that maybe you could get something small of their registry, also.

I think The Joy of Cooking or Betty Crocker are great all around cookbooks. If they don't have any diet restrictions I like the Leanne Ely cookbooks - I don't use them since we are eating vegan these days but otherwise they are cool books, with full menus, shopping lists and recipes. She even has one for holidays :)

it's "Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Food and Cooking: An Illustrated Guide to Successful Cooking." It has the answer to every question you can have about food. It has "banana math," and "crumb math." The crumb math tells you how many crackers (graham, saltine, and others) you need to make a measurement of crumbs. It has wonderful illustrations of fruit, vegtables and meat and tells you where to find them, how to store them, how to cook them, all the types available, etc. I'm always looking info up in it. It explains the differences in food, like rolled oats, steel cut oats, quick cooking oatmeal, instant oatmeal and which are interchangable. If I have a question about any ingredient I can look it up there. It was published in 1991, but is available new from booksellers on Amazon. I have given it as a wedding present in the past.

HTH,

Mary

Yeah! I thought I was going to be alone in recommending Mark Bittman.

He does an awesome job of covering everything. We have his How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

I think if you want a kinda of homey, traditional cookbook, the Better Homes and Garden or the Betty Crocker either is really good. If you want something a little more modern, metro, etc then Bittman is your man. :)

A while back I saw one from Southern Living that made me think, "Wow, if I knew a young bride, that would be the perfect gift!" I remember it had lots of kitchen how-to in addition to the recipes, which I thought would be great for setting up a first kitchen. It was big, and it was pricey, but it's one I would have loved to receive.

You might be able to find it by looking on the catalogue of the Southern Living at Home web site.

I have this cookbook and IT ROCKS (It's called "The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook")! It has everything in it. Other good ones are "The Best Recipe" or "Baking Illustrated" by Cook's Illustrated. The Taste of Home annual cookbooks are good, too -- really basic, everyday cooking.

Edited by BikeBookBread
thought of more!!!

If she is family then maybe getting her mother and grandmothers recipes and make a 3 ring binder with recipes would be good. That would only work for family though. My favorite cookbook is one I made of my great grandmother (who was my second mom since I lived with her after my mother passed) recipes. She used to get her recipes and put them on cards and add them in these 2 boxes. I took those boxes one year and typed them all out. Along with any other great info she had stashed in there. Then I put dividers in it with pretty pictures on each and put them in a 3 ring binder and gave them to my family as Christmas gifts. Everyone cried because we all miss her so much. It is the only cookbook I use. Other than that I just go to allrecipes.com and find a high rated recipe or thepioneerwoman.com

WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT!! A friend had a "kitchen shower" - your "admission ticket" to her shower was 5 of your favorite recipes.

it's "Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Food and Cooking: An Illustrated Guide to Successful Cooking." It has the answer to every question you can have about food. It has "banana math," and "crumb math." The crumb math tells you how many crackers (graham, saltine, and others) you need to make a measurement of crumbs. It has wonderful illustrations of fruit, vegtables and meat and tells you where to find them, how to store them, how to cook them, all the types available, etc. I'm always looking info up in it. It explains the differences in food, like rolled oats, steel cut oats, quick cooking oatmeal, instant oatmeal and which are interchangable. If I have a question about any ingredient I can look it up there. It was published in 1991, but is available new from booksellers on Amazon. I have given it as a wedding present in the past.

HTH,

Mary

Oh, now this seems like a GREAT book to have! I want one!! Perhaps I can give them this one, and then add some of the cooking utensiles, etc. from their registry lists. Of course, I still like the cookbook idea, but this might be better as I have no idea if she's having/had a bridal shower and whether she's received any cookbooks. This way, I can get her something USEFUL...and perhaps her margarita pitcher as well. :D:lol:

HTH,

Mary

:iagree:This is the best DOWN TO EARTH cookbook around. It is fantastic for both a beginner as well as a seasoned cook. I LOVE mine!

:auto: Off to the library to check this one out!

I recently purchased The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, and I absolutely love it! The fresh vegetable recipes are great, and every new recipe I've tried has worked. There are great tips throughout the cookbook too. I would highly recommend this cookbook to anyone: http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Kitchen-Cookbook-Heavy-Duty-Revised/dp/193361501X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250087365&sr=8-1

HTH!

I recommended the Guide and WendyK recommended the Cookbook. I have both and she is right. The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook is great too! The Guide is not being published right now, but is easily available on Amazon. It is just such a wealth of information, more like a food encyclopedia with some recipes and great photos, charts, etc

HTH.

Mary

Sunset "Quick, Light, and Healthy"--very 'normal' but low fat recipes.

"Beat This"--recipes for 'normal' foods but really outstanding ones, like the very best possible blueberry muffins or the absolute best sugar cookies. Very optimized

"Entertaining" by Martha Stewart--This was from before the Martha Stewart empire started, and was one of my favorite wedding gifts that I got. It's more reflective of her catering days, and has amazing appetizer and other complete menus with recipes, gorgeous photos and serving suggestions.

Betty Crocker "International Cookbook"--this has foreign food that is made from ingredients that you can actually find in a small grocery store in the Midwest. Very good, pretty easy, impressive variety of stuff

"Quick Cook" by Martha Stewart--normal food that is ever so slightly upscale and that cooks up pretty quickly for family meals at home. Again, this is one of her older cookbooks.

"Country French Cooking" or any of the other French cookbooks from Sunset. These are far more accessible than most French cookbooks, and I have never had a bad meal from these. Frankly, these books and Quick Cook have set me on the path to happy fatness. Perhaps I should withdraw those recommendations. Wait, those meals have been so good...so unhealthy...but so good...can't decide. You be the judge.

If you want VERY normal, try the magazine "A Taste of Home" or any of those related mags and books. Very, very, very normal. Almost too normal to stand.

Edited by Carol in Cal.