Menu

How about us INTJs? I know we have some.

Hi all,

QUestion time for everyone-I am a INTJ married to an INTP. My career field before homeschooling was law enforcement with my degrees being in economics and Criminal Justice. My dd almost 16 is unsure of a career and since she is an INTJ too, I thought I would find out what other INTJs did before homeschooling. Oh and since there are so few of us percentage wise in the world, I thought we might commisserate too.

*raises hand*

I didn't work anything other than summer/part-time jobs before getting married. I met dh in college and after graduation we both agreed I would stay home. I had a double major in college. Psychology and Christian Thought. For what it's worth, DH is an engineer and I like how he thinks. I forget how his Myers-Briggs came out....

I just took two online tests tonight, for the first time and they both say INTJ. I read two or three descriptions and nearly fell out of my chair. That is *so* me! I read a few other "type" descriptions, just to see if any others would seem "similar" to my personality, and they aren't even close.

I'm going to have dh take the tests tomorrow and see how he turns out. :D So interesting!

:::raising hand:::

Pre-hs'ing, I was already a sahm for a few years. Before that, I mostly worked retail. I loved it despite the customers b/c of all of the detail involved. I wish I could figure out how to turn setting up planograms, making schedules and taking inventory into a hobby. :D

I started college as an accounting major.

In general, I really liked (and still like) working on projects on my own. The amount of teamwork required (coordinating with others, presenting to clients) was just enough.

I got bumped up to management eventually and it was hard dealing with some of the people issues (e.g., the 40-something woman who complained to me that others in the grouped failed to invite her to join them for lunch. She actually wanted me to do something other than say, "What, is this junior high?")

I think it is very wise that you are helping your DD consider personality in career selection! Something for me to keep in mind later.

I'm another INTJ. I married right out of high school and worked in business management for a real estate development company before kids. I didn't get my degree until I was 7 months pregnant with my third child, then immediately starting homeschooling.

I'm not sure what my dh is. He's been given the test but I don't remember. I'll have to ask him when he's home. He is a business owner and comptroller for a conglomerate that does real estate development.

I'm INTJ. I took the Myers-Briggs as part of a 'team-building' project for Fed Court employees. I have a BS in Business and I'm about halfway though a Masters. Before hsing, I worked as Admin Analyst for Fed Courts and before that I was an Economic Services Tech (Welfare Worker).

I'm INTJ, & I made a really good student, lol. I was a teacher, but below the university setting, I'd say that's a terrible match.

I love interacting w/ people as long as there's a computer between us. Face-to-face is *very* difficult for me, but I've always wanted to be a writer. That's what I'm working on now.

Fwiw, I have a BA in English & an MEd in Teaching. English was a perfect match; teaching was a hard degree to earn, not because of the material but because of the dominance of a particular personality type that's drawn to teaching & doesn't like my type *at all.*

I loved math & economics, too, though, & art & history (although for some reason I did really poorly in history--I think I'm too narrative-oriented).

Dh is INFP, but he vascillates, lol. He's on the line for several of his letters, but the definition of this one is someone who has a hard time nailing down decisions, so I figure that fits pretty well. He's in sales & seminary now (ironic blend when printed, lol) & really seems happy. I"d have pegged him for an engineer. He's still working on his journey, though.

Dejavu all over again :lol:

Yes, I'm an INTJ. My favorite job was working dispatch for UPS. My favorite time at that job was when I was the only one in the department (I was supposed to be part-time support staff, but two people quit and our boss had a nervous breakdown).

I still get the happy chills thinking of looking at all those brand new maps and plotting and planning the drivers' days.

Sigh.

I still get the happy chills thinking of looking at all those brand new maps and plotting and planning the drivers' days.

Sigh.

That sounds like an amazingly interesting job to a logistics nerd like me!

INTJ married to another INTJ.

I worked in logistics/supply chain/distribution for a major retailer until I left to move to a new city with my husband a few months ago. I loved my job for the amount of analysis I was able to do on a daily basis. It was also nice to be able to quickly see the results of my analysis. :sigh: I miss it.

My husband is a nuclear engineer. He likes his work - a ton of detailed analysis, computer programming, and solo work.

Oooohhh...I'm so jealous. That sounds awesome!

That sounds like an amazingly interesting job to a logistics nerd like me!

Oh, I loved it. The hours were terrible, for most people (about midnight to about noon when I was the only person in dispatch), but I loved getting to work while the world slept and I "knew" the surrounding counties like the back of my hand. It's so funny, because I was on all the major mailing lists for new maps, designs of new neighborhoods and everything. I worked with the usps to get address boundaries and.......

I could go on and on and on.

It was wonderful, except when I had to train my new boss :( and then train all my fellow workers :( and finally, I quit, because I couldn't get them to understand that if they all did it my way things would work out perfectly. :lol:

It was wonderful, except when I had to train my new boss :( and then train all my fellow workers :( and finally, I quit, because I couldn't get them to understand that if they all did it my way things would work out perfectly. :lol:

Ha! I love it! Been there, done that. They just never get it exactly right hey? :lol:

I worked with a guy who was a train master for awhile - another very cool logistics job. Although, there is a lot of hassle/stress involved.

Me- INTJ

Early Career Aspirations - Wizard

Later Career Aspirations - Writer or Lawyer

Degrees/Education - Commerce, Education, Political Science/Public Policy

Career - Professional student, Curriculum Writer

Volunteer Work - Tutor for underprivileged kids

Pre-Mid Life Crisis Dream - Think Tank Strategist and Policy Writer

DH - ESFP

Early Career Aspirations - NHL Player

Later Career Aspirations - IT

Degrees/Education - IT, Engineering

Career - IT, Entrepreneur - Computer Consulting

Volunteer Work - Hockey Coach

Mid Life Crisis Dream - Have his own hockey school

DD(12) - ENFP

Early Career Aspirations - Mermaid

Current Aspirations - Artist, Screen Writer or Marine Biologist

Favourite School Subjects - history, art, french, science, literature

Will Most Likely Be - Artist, mother and teacher

DS (11)- ESTJ

Early Career Aspirations - Sky Hawk and Sergeant

Current Aspirations - Food Critic or Dictator

Favourtie School Subjects - PE, history, science, literature, logic

Will Most Likely Be - Entrepreneur with a wife who cooks very, very well

Edited by DSAcademy
as much as I'd like him to be an N, ds is a S

Ha! I love it! Been there, done that. They just never get it exactly right hey? :lol:

I worked with a guy who was a train master for awhile - another very cool logistics job. Although, there is a lot of hassle/stress involved.

That sounds so interesting!

What really drove me nuts was that I had a tried and true method (I ran the department for six months and our numbers were the best in the DISTRICT, I had people from Richmond asking me for advice!!!) and they REFUSED to use it. They would NOT file things, they refused to have any order and they took the driver's advice over the maps!?!

I kept telling them, the drivers will get as much removed as they can get away with (duh), and they DO appreciate it when you stick to your guns, point out the map and then drive the route. I still get hugs and miss yous from the drivers I worked with, they don't remember the names of the people I trained, who all moved on.

What's so wrong with alphabetical order? Why not take notes? I don't know what dh's thing (like INTJ) is, but I do he appreciates the order I bring to things.

==================

My dream job is to plot and plan, prepare and set up, then sit back and let someone else do it, lol, I couldn't be more INTJ :lol:

Me too. I have a degree in illustration, which I have only dabbled with. I earned a living working in a college registrar's office before I got married and had ds. A former co-worker once said wistfully that she missed me because it always felt like the chaos would work out ok when I was there and the 3 perms and 2 temps they hired to replace me just were not the same...lol. (We were deplorably understaffed when I worked there and while I WAS doing most of the work for those positions while they theoretically tried to find someone to hire (they didn't seem to be trying very hard, which is one of the reasons I left), they weren't all really hired just to replace me.) Then I was a SAHM for a few years before homeschooling. I've never been able to figure out how I could manage the chaos at the office so well, and do such a poor job keeping things in order at home. I have suspiciouns that it has to do with my dh (the internet game developer) having a very different personality type; he likes spontenaeity, constantly acts before thinking things through, and has admitted to intentionally undermining my routines. Gotta love him, though. I think we balance each other out. I make him stop and think before jumping off cliffs, and he keeps me from thinking through the minutia so long that I never move forward with a thing. I help him remember what's on the schedule for the week, and he reminds me to be more flexible. It works out pretty well.

I've never been able to figure out how I could manage the chaos at the office so well, and do such a poor job keeping things in order at home.

So true here too.

I thrived on taming the chaos at work -- so much so that I was the designated fire-fighter for our department -- I got all the projects that had gone completely haywire, the ones where customers were upset, the ones that nobody could figure out, the ones that were so far past deadline that they seemed impossible to do, etc.... Fun days! :001_smile:

However, here at home, I seem to be very able to ignore/not see the things that need fire-fighting. :lol:

I got bumped up to management eventually and it was hard dealing with some of the people issues (e.g., the 40-something woman who complained to me that others in the grouped failed to invite her to join them for lunch. She actually wanted me to do something other than say, "What, is this junior high?")

:rofl: