Menu

What are you reading?

I have finished one more of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I actually wouldn't keep muddling through these, except that Brandon Sanderson is finishing Jordan's series. And, since I've decided to buy anything Sanderson writes as soon as I can get my hands on it... I need to get through this series (which actually has a fantastic storyline, I just find Jordan to be needlessly repetitive) so I can read Sanderson's (hopefully improved) WoT novel when it comes out later this year.

Oooh, thank you for this information! Dh will be so excited when I tell him. (I gave up on the WoT series around book six or seven because just what you said, but I do want to know what happens, too.)

These are the books I have been reading in the last week:

Stephen King's Just after Sunset, which is a collection of short stories

THe Marshall and the Madwoman by Magdalen Nabb - a mystery set in Florence (Firenze)

Belshazzar's Daughter by Barbara Nadel - a mystery set in Istanbul

and starting this morning, Staying Home is a Killer by Sara Rosett written by an AF wife and with an AF base being the setting

(I am an AF wife too)

"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides (unique & touching; great characterization)

o

This book takes place on the street over from me!! It's called Middlesex like the book. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's very good! I read his other book - the Virgin Suicides - and it really bothered me, so I haven't read this one yet.

Common Sense by Glenn Beck

.;)

I'm number 13 on the wait list at our library. Can't wait to start.

Currently reading John Adams by John McCullough. So far so good!

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if I repeat. I have read quite few this summer. Here are my top five favorites:

1. The Glass Castle ( A memoir by Jeanette Walls)

2. The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan

3. The Help, Kathyrn Stockett

4. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Mcall-Smith

5. The Chosen, Chaim Potok

All of these were great reads!!

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

I tried this many years ago, but couldn't get far in it. At the time, I couldn't handle such depressing stories. I need to try tackling it again someday.

People of the Book (just started, seems great)

I enjoyed that book -- thought it was well-written & fascinating.

Always a good one!

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

I found that to be such a fun, happy book. How are you liking it?

Today I finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostava.

Next, I think I may re-read The Time Traveler's Wife, as it's coming out in the theaters soon.

How did you like "The Historian"? I really liked it & enjoyed all the history in it.

I read "The Time Traveler's Wife" a few years ago & liked it fairly well (though it wasn't a favorite of mine). I'm kind of curious about the upcoming movie...

The Confederacy of the Dunces

Wow, it's been a long time since I've read that one! It's not one of my faves, but it's good & I can see that the author certainly had talent. It's too bad that he didn't live to see it published &/or continue writing.

Lovely Bones--Alice Sebold

Shudder. That one creeped me out & really bothered me. I didn't like it.

This book takes place on the street over from me!! It's called Middlesex like the book. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's very good! I read his other book - the Virgin Suicides - and it really bothered me, so I haven't read this one yet.

I loved "Middlesex". It was enchanting & different & fascinating. I found all the Detroit history really interesting too. Cal/Callie (the narrator) was an awesome character. Actually, all the characters were great. Just a really well-done book. (It won a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2002, I think. I can see why it won.) I didn't read "The Virgin Suicides", so I can't provide any comparison to that.

1. The Glass Castle ( A memoir by Jeanette Walls)

3. The Help, Kathyrn Stockett

"The Glass Castle" was definitely a great read. I've got "The Help" on request at the library, but I'm about 200th in line. LOL.

P.S. (Can you tell I'm testing how to use the multi-quote function? :lol:)

Earlier this summer I went on an Apocalyptic kick:

Lord of the Flies

A Clockwork Orange

Fahrenheit 451

Brave New World

Anthem - Ayn Rand

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin (the 'father' of this genre)

We the Living - Ayn Rand

Right now, I just started taking a class at the University on Folklore...

The books are great - somel of the different and earliest versions of the old folk tales and fairy tales that you've always known. It also includes some modern versions which are quite good. Definitely interesting and definitely NOT for children for most people- better to PRE-READ!!!! Anyway, if you want to know where your kid's fairy tales came from... Folk & Fairy Tales Ed. by Martin Hallett and Barbara Karasek, and Favorite Folktales from around the World ed. by Jane Yolen.

Earlier this summer I went on an Apocalyptic kick:

Lord of the Flies

A Clockwork Orange

Fahrenheit 451

Brave New World

Anthem - Ayn Rand

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin (the 'father' of this genre)

We the Living - Ayn Rand

Right now, I just started taking a class at the University on Folklore...

The books are great - somel of the different and earliest versions of the old folk tales and fairy tales that you've always known. It also includes some modern versions which are quite good. Definitely interesting and definitely NOT for children for most people- better to PRE-READ!!!! Anyway, if you want to know where your kid's fairy tales came from... Folk & Fairy Tales Ed. by Martin Hallett and Barbara Karasek, and Favorite Folktales from around the World ed. by Jane Yolen.

Love your reading list! Some great books there (and others that I need to read).

The Folklore class sounds fascinating. Keep us posted on any neat things you learn/read in that class... pretty please! :001_smile:

Oh that's cool. I read Alias Grace while living in a rowhouse directly facing Kingston Penitentiary. It seemed a bit unreal.

The Mistborn trilogy by Brandson Sanderson. I can't explain how much I loved this series - borrowed them from the library and bought my own copies midway through the series. I teared up when the last book ended - mostly because I was sad to have no more of this series to read (and I am not a crier!).

I have finished one more of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I actually wouldn't keep muddling through these, except that Brandon Sanderson is finishing Jordan's series. And, since I've decided to buy anything Sanderson writes as soon as I can get my hands on it... I need to get through this series (which actually has a fantastic storyline, I just find Jordan to be needlessly repetitive) so I can read Sanderson's (hopefully improved) WoT novel when it comes out later this year.

I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, too. :) Have you read Elantris and his new one, Warbreaker?

I'm also a fan of WoT and I'm happy to see Sanderson is finishing the series (you can pre-order the next book on Amazon :D). A bit of warning about WoT - Robert Jordan ends up with a confusing number of story lines by the time you get to Knife of Dreams. I'm hoping that Sanderson can pull them all together neatly.

My WEM readings took a detour last spring mid-Madame Bovary in favor of self study in US history and politics.

The Real George Washington, Jay Parry and Andrew Allison (National Center for Constitutional Studies)

The Declaration of Independence and Other Great Documents of American History

Common Sense, Glenn Beck

Animal Farm, George Orwell

Currently reading 1984 by Owell, and Mark Levin's Liberty and Tyranny.

Don't know what's coming next. I want to read American Progressivism or maybe pick up The Real Thomas Jefferson. I'm also looking for good books on the French Revolution. Recommendations?

I loved that book!!!! I have it in a box somewhere. I need to get it out again. Shortly after I read it, I watched the BBC version. It was good.

I try to read Tess at least once a year. I usually try to pair it with a time when dh is out of town, because I get in a big "I Hate Men" funk for a few days after reading Tess.

DH asks me why I keep reading it, since it puts me in such a remarkably crappy mood.

It's a beautifully written book, though. In spite of the MEN in it. :glare:

I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, too. :) Have you read Elantris and his new one, Warbreaker?

I'm also a fan of WoT and I'm happy to see Sanderson is finishing the series (you can pre-order the next book on Amazon :D). A bit of warning about WoT - Robert Jordan ends up with a confusing number of story lines by the time you get to Knife of Dreams. I'm hoping that Sanderson can pull them all together neatly.

I am going to buy both of those with my next Amazon order. Since Sanderson doesn't have a lot of books "out there" yet, I'm going to try to spread them out a bit. lol I hope I love them - even half as much as I loved Mistborn, I'll be happy.

I can see how Jordan would wind up with a ton of confusing plot points. :001_huh: He goes here... and there... and here... and there. His need to remind me of who everyone is every other chapter makes me want to tear my hair out! LOL I was reading them one-after-the-other and nearly gave up. I found that I enjoy the story a lot more when I read several other books in between each WOT book. ;)

I'm also hoping George R.R. Martin's Dance of Dragons will come out sometime in the next decade - and that perhaps the series will be finished in my lifetime. (This was a BIG appeal when I started to read Sanderson's trilogy - IT WAS FINISHED ALREADY! lol Instant gratification!)

So glad to find a fellow fan. I read the last one about three years ago. It looks like I'll have to read the whole series again as a refresher at this point! I actually haven't read any of Sanderson's books, maybe I'll have to check them out. :D

Other than home schooling how-to books, I am reading-

Don Quioxte- translation by Walter Starkie

third read of American Jezebel- Eve LaPlante (absolutely my favorite non-fiction!)

Always working on a Miss Julia by Ann Ross (I LOVE her so much, very fun easy read)

I find tons of great reads featured in American Spirit magazine (DAR publication)

What great lists,I need to check into so many listed before me! Thanks for this thread!

I've read a lot of how-to homeschool books, and I suppose how-to books in general. So for every fiction book I read, I probably read 10 or more how-to books. :) I've enjoyed many books mentioned on this thread. One book that touched me was Still Alice that I read earlier this summer. I just found out my birth grandmother has alzheimers.

I was looking for books to read laying around the house (we have tons), and found Germ by Robert Liparulo, about germ warfare, but it is a guilty pleasure that I will read through within 3 nights and then move on to something meatier. :)

Next up I just ordered (via Kindle) Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs and Parenting by Michael Perry that someone said I would enjoy. I hope to start that this week.

Right now I'm reading A Guide to Elegance by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux. It was originally published in the 1960s. Love it!

Otherwise I have The Hobbit and Gulliver's Travels started around here somewhere. This summer I've mostly been reading classics or "great books" for myself. After seeing yet another list of amazing books no kid should graduate without reading, and realizing I hadn't read an alarmingly high percentage of them myself, I've set about reading every one I can get my hands on. Little Men was the last one I finished. Somehow my life feels richer for having met all those boys. :001_smile:

I just finished the sixth book in the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd. It took me a couple weeks to read all of them. They are military style science fiction that is a bit like the work of Elizabeth Moon or David Weber.

One thing that was nice is that I felt ok handing them off to my kids when I was done. So often I have to tell them to wait til they are older for the science fiction that I've enjoyed because it has adult themes.

I'm currently rereading The Well Trained Mind. Right now I'm also reading Mere Christianity. I plan to read The Screwtape Letters next. Earlier this summer I read 1984. My friend is begging me to read The Shack, but I'm just not sure about that one. That's what's going on in my world.;)