Menu

Beginning Homeschooling - Love to hear your 1st grade "schedules"!

hmlongino

Hi!

I'm a former teacher (health) who is now going to begin homeschooling my 1st grade twin boys! I also have a 9 month old and just found out that I'm pg again!!!! I have all my curriculum all set and now I'm starting to work on lesson plans for the first few weeks. I'm a pretty flexible person, and I know things will ebb and flow... but I know me and I will need a schedule so I will get my act together and get things done!

I am not an early bird, and hope to start after breakfast around 9 or so. I'd love to hear your schedules, or non schedules, or just whatever it is that you do with your children for the 1st grade! :D

Thanks!

Holly

Just FYI, my boys are VERY strong in math and science, but not so much in reading. My curriculum choices are:

Singapore Math

History Odyssey (modified, not using EVERYTHING, but using Ushborne History Encyclopedia, Story of the World, and the coloring books referenced)

Hooked on Phonics 1st grade curriculum

1000 words for spelling success + diction

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level 1 chemistry and biology

Plus I have a creative writing journal for them

I would do the bulk of the homeschooling when your little one is down for a morning nap. My middle child went down at 10am for 2 hrs so I had a long period of time to do school with my oldest.

You can also have your 9mo play in a playpen with some toys for about 45 min while you do school. I can only imagine how it will be to homeschool 2 at the same time, same level, but that alone gives you 2 hrs 45 min of uninterrupted time.

You can leave the history, science, art, music, etc for times when your 9mo is awake and just involve him since they are probably more hands-on or at least more "squirm-friendly...just some suggestions :)

My dc are 6yo, 4yo and 3yo...

breakfast

morning walk

Bible

*Short* lesson on the white board with everyone (phonograms, letter formation.....basic review for my 6yo, preview for my 3yo....geared for my 4yo)

Math-6yo (4yo and 3yo play with puzzles/color/etc)

Snack&Storytime

Spelling quiz/penmanship

AO reading list (copywork and narration - WWE is my guide)/FLL

science

Play outside

Lunch

Music

Naps----6yo does SWR lesson for the first 30-40 minutes of naptime

....then I collapse:tongue_smilie:

We actually made it through all this today:001_huh::lol: I hope we can keep it up!

We are just beginning 1st this year with my oldest, and this is our tentative schedule:

Daily:

Bible read aloud

Math (horizons 1)

Copywork (10 min a day)

Phonics (Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading--1 lesson per day)

Read aloud (we are following Ambleside Online's year 1 literature shedule)

MWF we do History using the Story of the World book and Activity Guide.

T, TH we do Science using several nature "storybooks" (Burgess Bird book, the "Among the ...People" series) followed up with non-fiction library books. We will be following the WTM grade 1 science progression of animals, human biology and plants. Also weekly Nature Study field trips.

We also do art on wed. and music on friday, time and patience permitting.

It sounds like alot, but in reality it only takes about 2 hrs a day, if things move along well. Nature study, art and music add to the length of the day, but are really part of our "family culture" and so are not really viewed as "school" per se by my children. We also do a great deal more reading aloud on the average day, but again it is not official "school":001_smile:

I have three dc--ds 6 dd 4 and dd 10 mos. We do as much work as possible during dd#2s nap time in the am (about 1 1/2 hrs) and the rest she is in my arms or the high chair/exersaucer/cardboard box nearby. (yeah, I said cardboard box. Whatever works!)

DD#1 listens in to all read alouds including science and history as she likes, and has some of her own "schoolwork" to do during math/phonics/copywork. She has a few workbboks, cutting/pasting crafts etc. She is also in charge of entertaining the baby while I teach ds. She kind of flits in and out mostly.

Hope you get some great ideas!

Edited by urpedonmommy

I'm about to start homeschooling my 4th first grader and have found I prefer a short and sweet school day for this age. My schedule does not include phonics because he's completed PP and is reading fluently. I spend 30 minutes working one-on-one with him. He might have another 30 minutes of work to complete next to me. We sit down together right after breakfast. Everyday we complete a math lesson, and a language arts lesson. We will also do history or science together at this time.

HTH!

Starting at 9 is early around here (and is my goal for the coming year!) Last year for 1st grade we rarely started sit down work before 10:30. We usually worked until lunch around 12:30 or 12:45. Then playtime outside or free time inside. Then there was usually rest time, or a movie time. Then we usually did our last subject of the day in the very late afternoon. We have been known to do history from 5:00 to 6:00 as dinner is cooking after having a laid back afternoon. So don't be afraid to spread the work out. Nothing says you have to do it all at once.

<delete> Sorry, just realized you were looking for a SCHEDULE, not what we're using.

I haven't written out my first grader's schedule yet. I'll have to get back to you later this week. Sorry!

Edited by Jane

Have you looked into that?

Our day (keeping in mind that my son is a very fluent reader and doesn't have pencil-phobia) goes as follows:

wake up, play for a while, eat breakfast at 9 or 9:30

school starts at 10:

Memory Work (about 10 min/day)

Math (about 20-30 min)

Latin (about 15-20 min)

Composition (or copywork) (about 15-30 min, depending on where in the sequence we are)

Grammar (15 min, tops, usually less)

Penmanship (10 min if he isn't dawdling)

Spelling (10 min)

Piano Practice (15 min, maybe as much as 30 if we're learning something new)

and our daily elective, which for us rotates among literature, science, history, geography, art, and religion (time here varies widely...we often get carried away with any of these subjects and can spend up to an hour...everything except art, science, and geography...consists of reading together).

I will be doing 1st grade for the 4th time this year. My son is finishing PP up this summer. Here's what's on tap for the year:

Memory Work (IEW poetry, AWANA, family Scripture memory - 15 minutes/day at meal time)

ETC 2, 3, 4 (10-15 minutes)

daily copywork (10-15 minutes)

Singapore Math 1B & 2A (20 minutes)

FLL 1 & part of 2 (10 minutes)

SOTW 3 w/ big sister (30 minutes, 3x/week)

My World Science green (30 minutes, 2x/week)

read to Mom (15 minutes)

This is just a rough schedule because we haven't started everything yet:

My plan is 4 days a week with the 5th day for field trips and art. We're doing school year-round:

Every day:

Writing With Ease ~15 min

Math ~30 min

10 minute play break

Reading ~15 min

Handwriting ~5-10 min

15 minute play break

piano practice 10-15 min

Days 1 & 3:

History ~30 min

Spanish ~30 min

Days 2 & 4:

Science ~30 min

She also will be enrolled in music and dance classes, but I don't have the days or times on those yet.

Edited by Aurelia

Keep in mind I have two older ones, so he hangs with us a lot, but my expectations are very different for him.

He will be using:

CLE Math, LA and Reading 100 - each lesson takes around 15-25 min. depending.

ETC 4 - around 2 or 3 pages a day for continue reading instruction. We are almost done with Phonics Pathway and I think I am done with it!

Then, he will do BP Ancients and MOH 1 with us along with picture books and activities that relate.

And, God's Design Science (Heaven & Earth) with one of his brothers in 5th grade.

I think that is all. There will be an art class he gets to do now. And, piano lessons starting soon??

We don't have a schedule, more of a routine. We get up and get started at different times every day.

Daily (4 days a week):

2 mile walk/run

Math (about 30 minutes, hodgepodge of various curricula and games)

Language arts (30-45 minutes, WWE, FLL, German - we just finished OPGTR, so we're done with phonics)

Snack, free play, morning chores, errands

Lunch (at noon every day)

Read Alouds

Quiet time (from 1-2 every day), 6yo usually reads during that time, usually free reading, but I sometimes assign history or science reading during that time. She's always asking for more to read.

History (with SOTW, usually 2 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour)

Fridays:

Nature walk

Science

Art

Music

And any other work we didn't get done earlier in the week

We are pretty relaxed. Since she is so young, we take advantage of the flexibilty and take lots of field trips, and will happily drop everything to go out with friends, etc. Usually we still get everything I've assigned done in a week. If not, no big deal, we just bump it up to the next week. (We also school year round, taking time off when we need it.)

We'll be doing 1st grade this year as well. I've homeschooled my kids for the past 2 years -- pre-K and then K.

I don't really have a schedule as far as what time of day I do school with them. The two previous years were very hectic with therapy appointments for one of my children, so I'm hoping that this year we actually can do school at a set time each day.

I usually do school 4 days/week. For first grade we will be using K12, and will do language arts, math, history, science, art, and music. I used the workbox system the last few months of school last year, and I plan to continue using it next year. You can do a search to find threads about it if you want to learn more. The workbox system allowed me to make a great schedule for my kids, even if we didn't do school at the same time each day.

Good luck with your first year!

Congratulations!

Our Non-schedule (we are between first and second grade): No school on Thursdays for housecleaning. On most days we go to the park before we do our school work.

Math: Everyday a lesson for 20 minutes and a speed drill for 3 minutes or so. Shorten lessons by cutting out some things. She still aces the tests.

Spelling or phonics: She has been reading fluently for a long time. We finished up OPG and now we are doing All About Spelling. This takes 5-20 minutes 3 times per week.

Grammar, writing and handwriting: Mon & Wed-- FLL and Copywork from WWE. Tue and Fri-- WWE narration and Cursive with Zaner Bloser.

Science: delight led, we do this first once per week to be sure to get to it and LOVE IT! Only get one lesson done about once a month.

Art and music: we do quite a bit of this but it is always child led. :)

History: unschooled. She reads almost all of the books and does projects when they catch her interest.

This is really great!! Thank you! I like the idea of having weekly goals to accomplish... I know for a fact we're going to be running around and dealing with the little ones... plus, I like to get out and go places, so there's no need to set arbitrary rules for myself!

In Georgia, we have to keep attendance and show 4 1/2 hours per day for 180 days of the year as being "schooled". I think I was thinking of this too literally... a trip to the grocery store could be a lesson on counting money, nutrition, etc.

I fluctuate between being excited and being totally frightened. I am not afraid of actually educating them, I'm afraid that I may go crazy without a break! I'm sure I can work it all out... it's just a little daunting to think about!

Thanks again, seriously, this stuff is GOLD!! :D

My plan is to do lessons six days a week, Tues-Sun. I work nights, so we will be doing lessons in the morning after I get home (or after we get up on my days off). I plan on getting started by 8:30 AM (I get off work at 6 or 7 and it takes me 20 min. to get home, so...).

Our daily subjects will include:

Latin (Song School Latin)

Math (Miquon)

Phonics (Word Mastery)

Reading (phonics readers, for now)

Memory Work (starting with some religious material, will alternate with poetry)

Handwriting (Big Book of Handwriting I picked up at Wal-Mart, alternating with copywork)

Once daily work is done, we will dip into weekly subjects:

History (How Children Lived)

Science (For first semester, life science with a "tree of life" theme)

Heathen Studies (readings from The Kinder Edda, plus memory-work tie-ins)

Classical Studies (Usborne Greek Myths for Young Children)

Art (either Drawing with Children or sewing, not sure yet)

Literature (Grimm's Fairy Tales)

Geography (Children Like Me)

We'll need to be done by about 11 AM on days I work so I can go to bed; on Tuesdays we'll have some sort of outing in the afternoon. Some weeks an outing will tie in to a lesson. We will do a narration in one weekly subject each week. Most of the weekly subjects are read-alouds, plus some fun activity to tie-in.

Here's the schedule I've just finished coming up with:

5:45--I have to get up and walk the dog while dh is still home, so this gets me going. Tidy the house, prep dinner, play on computer, Bible study, read, etc., etc.,

9:00--I'll work out at the gym while they play in the child care

10:30-12:00 School. I'll start each subject with the older, then while she finishes independent work I'll work with the younger.

math--Saxon 2 for older, MFW K for younger

phonics--ETC & Abeka readers for older, MFW K for younger

WWE--for older, handwriting for younger

violin

during lunch and also before bed--Read Alouds (Ambleside year 1)

after lunch--outside time for nature studies and play.

Afternoons--activities, down time, clean the house, errands. They're doing an art class 1 time a month, dance or gymnastics, homeschool group playtime, soccer & violin for older, maybe going to a bilingual story time for Spanish???

Two mornings a month we're doing a SOTW 1 history co-op/club and this will replace our core work for the day. That same day on the off weeks, I'm thinking of doing only history and then intensive house cleaning or field trips.

Phew...We'll see. :)

Edited by snickelfritz

We did 1st grade last year - here is what we did:

9am start with math, spend about 30 minutes

wiggle worm break

grammar/spelling/reading/copywork - about 30 minutes total - we didn't do all of it every day, but each day we did at least 2

wiggle worm break

history or science on alternate days - about an hour (my kid likes history and science)

wiggle worm break

art or music

lunch

We also did field trips and coop classes with the local homeschool group, and a pottery class - on those days we only did math and grammar/reading. And we did karate 3 days a week in the evening as PE.

This is really great!! Thank you! I like the idea of having weekly goals to accomplish... I know for a fact we're going to be running around and dealing with the little ones... plus, I like to get out and go places, so there's no need to set arbitrary rules for myself!

In Georgia, we have to keep attendance and show 4 1/2 hours per day for 180 days of the year as being "schooled". I think I was thinking of this too literally... a trip to the grocery store could be a lesson on counting money, nutrition, etc.

I fluctuate between being excited and being totally frightened. I am not afraid of actually educating them, I'm afraid that I may go crazy without a break! I'm sure I can work it all out... it's just a little daunting to think about!

Thanks again, seriously, this stuff is GOLD!! :D

Honestly, I would count any and all informal reading or impromptu art projects, and count the maximum average for each subject. For Grammar count 30 minutes every time even if you are done in 5... etc.

My yongest son would not have started Kindergarten until this fall in ps. He will be 6 in September. However, in homeschool curriculum, we are about mid-way through 1st grade. He just really "took off" and by Jan of last school year, was beyond Kindergarten work. :)

Here is what he did/is doing for 1st grade:

Phonics Pathways

Explode the Code books 3 and 4

CLE Math 1

CLE Language Arts 1 (before this, he finished LLATL blue - which was more a Kindergarten type book IMO)

Heart of Dakota - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory (history, geography, science, spelling, copywork)

CLE Bible 1

Map Skills Geography

New American Cursive 1

Art classes in Co-op and CLE Artpacs

Soccer/ Tae-kwon-do

So, I have a 2nd grader, 1st grader, 4 year-old and 1 year-old. For the first couple of weeks, we tried to keep everything to a "time schedule". You know, we would do reading from 9-9:30, etc... Trying to mimic a school schedule did NOT work. At home, you have the phone rings, the UPS guy comes, you have to stop and feed the baby, my son has a meltdown, zombies are trying to break through the front door, etc. We actually couldn't finish half the time. So, I started blocking my schedule by subject instead of time with a set amount of work to do in each subject. This is working so much better. We're getting everything finished and meeting our goals (well, my goals, anyway -ha ha). It also helps out if I tell the oldest kids EXACTLY what the study goals are for the day. Surprisingly, we're finishing everything, but sometimes the work is spread out over the day... We do the bulk of our work during the baby's nap.

The 2nd grader is doing CLE LA 2, Singapore Math, Apologia Zoology 1, Sonlight Core 1, Sonlight Readers 2 Intermediate, 3rd grade cursive HWOT, HOP 2nd grade (which was a waste of $40 because she is way beyond this curriculum :glare:), violin and piano.

The 1st grader is doing CLE LA 1, Horizons Math 1, Apologia Zoology 1, Sonlight Core 1, HOP 1, HOP Spelling, Printing Power HWOT and I'm trying to get him to the Sonlight Readers 2 Beginner this winter... (he's really strong in math and science, but doesn't like reading so much)

I hope this helps you... Oh, yeah, and a lot of times my kids don't realize they're doing schoolwork too. I guess it's all about presentation. LOL! :tongue_smilie:

It has been a few years. Our schedule was as follows.

1st

I would clean my upstairs bathroom, shower and dress.

2nd

I would wake up my girls. I had a 1st & 2nd grader. I would remind them of their morning routine. They would make their beds, straighten their room and take care of their cat. One was incharge of the cat's food and the other the cat's litter for the week.

3rd part a

I would go downstairs, place a load of laundry in the washer, and start to cook breakfast. Depending on the time of year, I might have to start a sprinkler.

3rd part b

If my girls could finish their morning chores by 8:00, they were able to ride their bikes for 1/2 hour. I was very strict with the 8:00 time. If they finished before 8:00, they were still able to bike until 8:30.

4th

We ate breakfast at 8:30 and then brushed our teeth.

5th

We began school at 9:00.

~Math

~Spelling Workout

~ FLL 1

~ OPGTR

~ Copy and Memory work

~ Handwriting

~ I am forgetting something. I just not sure what yet.:001_huh:

6th

Free time from 11:00 to 12:00 for my girls. I cleaned up the kitchen from breakfast, laundry to the dryer, and began to make thier lunch. Maybe start dinner.

7th

12:00 lunch and then free time until 1:00.

8th

1:00 to 2:30 or 3:00 we would rotate through Story of the World 1, Science reading, art, and/or religious studies, etc...

9th

Depending on the day school would be over. We might have a ballet class or two in the early evening.

10th

At bedtime we would have read out louds and sometimes dh would have a French lesson.

This is how we started. We don't look anything like that now. We are a little more relaxed and Mommy needs to be here on the computer to talk with you ladies.;)

We don't have a schedule, more of a routine.

Daily (4 days a week):

2 mile walk/run

How on earth do you do that?!?! I would LOVE to do that (or really 1 mile would be fine) but mine always want to stop and pick up rocks, look at birds, listen to sounds....

How did that habit start? Do they go with you or in the stroller?

How on earth do you do that?!?! I would LOVE to do that (or really 1 mile would be fine) but mine always want to stop and pick up rocks, look at birds, listen to sounds....

How did that habit start? Do they go with you or in the stroller?

Kids are 3 (4 in August) and 5 (6 in 10 days). We started a few months ago with a 1 mile walk. A morning walk was an idea I had been thinking about, but hadn't implemented yet. And then one day the 3 year old had a TON of energy, running circles around the house and wanting to go outside and run down the street. So we all headed out for a 1 mile run/walk, and I told them this was something we were going to try to do every day. After a couple months of 1 mile, we gradually increased the mileage to 2 miles (over a week or two). (The fact that there is a Starbucks almost a mile away from my house was a great incentive to up the mileage. When we got up to that point, we rewarded ourselves with Starbucks for breakfast. ;))

They do stop to pick up bugs and check out wild mushrooms, point out pretty flowers, etc. I walk at their pace (and they will run for a bit, then walk, then run again), but if they stop to pick something up, I usually keep walking, and they run to catch up. I also try to schedule one nature walk a week, so they get that as well.

Long-term, I hope this instills a lifelong habit of exercise and walking for enjoyment, etc. Short term, the physical activity helps with our focus and concentration.

I think your 3 yo could walk 1 mile easy (maybe with some whining). The baby I would pop into a sling, and the toddler in stroller, letting her out to walk whenever she wants.

K we rewarded ourselves with Starbucks for breakfast. ;))

I think your 3 yo could walk 1 mile easy (maybe with some whining). The baby I would pop into a sling, and the toddler in stroller, letting her out to walk whenever she wants.

YUM!

I just might think about doing that. The only issue is that we don't have any sidewalks around us (COUNTRY) but maybe we'll go on a hike or maybe on the road, although that makes me a little nervous...we'll see...it is a GREAT idea!

I want my kids to enjoy exercise for life...I was always a sports person, which means when there are no sports to play, I don't exercise at all :tongue_smilie:

I am lucky if my seven year-old son is up for breakfast at nine! Have a big family, but I'll try to concentrate just on him; he'll usually get up around nine, eat some breakfast, I let him watch cartoons for a few minutes and then we do a stretch. Now that it's nice out, I like to do a few of the lessons outside while the sun is high. We use Singapore Math supplemented with Miquon manipulatives and sometimes CooLadder Math Sheets. This will usually only take about 20 minutes, and he likes to get it out of the way. I try to take a bit of a "brain break" and let him do some painting or art work, usually asking him to do a painting of something he learned yesterday (from his reading or history lesson), other times letting him get creative. Afterwards, for penmanship and writing, I ask him to write a title and caption. These get hung up, put into his notebook for the year, or placed in a special box. Around this time twice a week we have playdates with homeschoolers in the town next to us (no co-op nearby), and three times a week a tutor comes for half an hour to do Spanish lessons. Afterwards is lunch, and I try to make him, his older siblings, and myself only speak in Spanish. After lunch my husband comes home to take over lessons while I do chores, but sometimes the kids will come with me. We use Sequential Spelling, so he works on phonics and vocab words with daily quizzes. Then goes outside to "play" and has to complete one nature journal entry: usually writes about worms, ants, or elf stories?! History and science are ongoing afternoon projects. We do delight-led unit studies, so whatever he is interested in, we read stories about it, do art projects, take trips if applicable, write stories...the works. Right now science is "cooking science" while he makes dinner with dad or me, great lessons on that from The Accidental Scientist. For history, since he's young, we're working on a family tree art project; he is writing stories about his ancestors, "researching" the nations of our heritage, and we'll be taking a day trip to Ellis Island. Before dinner there are after school activities: sports, scouting, Karate, and an art class, depending on the day. At night, we watch family movies or educational tv shows like biography, history channel, science shows, etc. or play a board game. Before bed he does one read aloud from the Bible and reads a chapter per night in whatever book he's working on at the time. At the end of the book he writes a short "book review" or book report. He goes to bed around ten o'clock (I know, I know...). I know we sound overbooked but it's actually a very relaxing day.

Oh wow...was this too much info?! Good luck! It's a wonderful journey.

Edited by MommyRyan

My first goal is to get as much done as I can before 2 pm, because during the public school year we do some afternoon classes in the community. We usually start somewhere between 9 or 10. Sometimes, earlier and sometimes later. I start with the highest priority: reading (he reads to me, plus one page of phonics pathways), writing and spelling (Spelling workout A and Explode the Code). Will start FLL 1 in Sept. along with WWE 1. Handwriting with Zaner-Blozer 2. Give about 10 min. break and onto math (Saxon 2). Then history (SOTW Ancients), 3x week or science (WTM-way), 2x week. Sometimes I start with mapping page from Evan-Moor 1st grade book 2x a week, while I work with my 5 yo. It's somewhat of a juggling game with 2 other kids. Early afternoon, read alouds for fun and from history. It's a lot of work and a lot of time and a lot of prioritizing! Friday's we do no math or workbooks, but he reads and I read to them.

Dot is not, shall we say, a morning person. :tongue_smilie:

We typically start lessons around ten-ish and try to arrange it so we're done by noon or 1. Her personality (and mine) is the type that we'd rather push through and finish it all, than take it in small bites with breaks in between subjects.

We start with penmanship because it's quick and allows me to supervise her brothers getting started for the day. Then we do grammar, some kind of cutting/pasting/coloring activity, and then math. In the fall we'll add in science and history/social studies, art, & music in the afternoons. One morning a week she has ice skating lessons.

Edited by skaterbabs

My kids are 6, 4, 3, and almost 2. I don't have a set schedule for each subject. We learn year-round, so I just take 180 pages of math, divide by twelve, and know that we need to do math 15 times per month. I print off a monthly calendar, and just write "math" down on 15 different dates. If we do it on that day, I cross it off; if we don't, I erase it and move it. Generally, we try to stick to our plan. I also have a little chart of every subject where I can see at a glance which subjects are running on schedule and which are ahead and behind. This also works great in the months that have holidays since I can just move things around very easily to prepare for learning about the holidays and having time off.

Here's our approximate schedule:

9:30-10:15: tefillah (Jewish prayers) & torah stories (w/all)

10:15-12:00, 1st grader does Jewish studies

12:00-12:30, pre-Ker does math, alphabet, and alef bet

2:00-4:00 (during littlest one's nap time), secular studies (the littles join us for art, science, sometimes history)

We also do lots of readalouds - at least one connected to our history studies plus one other.

I LOVE learning year-round. For us, it takes the pressure off since we have a dual curriculum (Jewish studies are pretty much equal in time to our secular studies). I also put a lot of thought into how things can be taught in a very compact yet still very effective manner. Great stuff! :)

Edited by alpidarkomama

For first grade, we started around nine, and Monday to Thursday did around half an hour of English, half an hour of maths, then something else (history or science alternating). Fridays we started with maths and English again, but followed it with art/art appreciation, music appreciation. I made sure that they boys got an hour of exercise each day too.

Best wishes

Laura

For 1st grade I started off with HOD's Little Hearts for His Glory, but as the months have worn on I have added so much and done it differently that I don't use the guide anymore.

Here was our schedule doing LHFHG as written

10:00 Singapore Earlybird 2a

10:30 R&S Workbooks and A Reason for Handwriting K

11:00 LHFHG Learning with History and Storytime (History, some science, activity box, rhymes in motion, Thornton Burgess books)

11:30 The Reading Lesson

Now that my son has taken off with learning LHFHG isn't really enough for him. We were doing some K and some 1st options and he is ready for all 1st materials now. He started off behind in reading, fine motor skills, and writing. Nine weeks in we have almost finished all of the k options and are moving into more 1st grade work. We are adding in more now (9 weeks in) and won't be using the LHFHG guide anymore just their book recomendations.

10:00 Singapore Earlybird 2b then moving on to 1a/1b

10:30 R&S Workbooks and about to start Abeka Writing with Phonics 1 (manuscript)

11:00 History for Little Pilgrims, Singapore Start Up Science, First Language Lessons 1/2, and we are continuing the Thornton Burgess books that came with LHFHG

11:30 The Reading Lesson

These are more blocks than real times. We do start at 10 and are done by 12, but a lot of times we are done earlier than the 30 minute blocks on some things and we move on to the next thing. I am also teaching dd9 and dd8 during these times. So sometimes when he finishes before I am ready to move on he will get a computer/video break.

I have noticed that he really had a moment about 6 weeks in when he blossomed and needed more than what I had originally planned and we started to go faster and do more pages than the guide called for each day. He made more progress in 6 weeks at home than a year at public school k. While I still use most of the books that LHFHG recommended, we have picked up the pace and really beefed it up.

"My kids are 6, 4, 3, and almost 2. I don't have a set schedule for each subject. We learn year-round, so I just take 180 pages of math, divide by twelve, and know that we need to do math 15 times per month. I print off a monthly calendar, and just write "math" down on 15 different dates. If we do it on that day, I cross it off; if we don't, I erase it and move it."

I like this idea! I don't want to be TOO scheduled, since I will only be setting myself up to "fail", but I am a visually organized person... I love lists and calendars. This could just work! :)

I think we are going to have to do a year round schedule since I just learned that I am pg again (yes, dd is only 9 MONTHS OLD) so March & April could prove to be insane!