Menu

Where to buy area rugs?

Between homeschooling & life and with so many hive members updating and remodeling this place is THE BEST resource for all kinds of knowledge!

Anyone know where I can buy area rugs? I'm not talking about short 5X7 rungs for under a table. We are buying a home with a downstairs bedroom w/ all travertine flooring. It is beautiful but cold for a bedroom. I want a nice large area run that will fit almost the whole floor (approx 13X14) Where do I go?

Thanks!!

That really depends on your budget.

If you are wanting to stay in the $1000-2000 range you can try Home Depot, Lowes, Home Goods, and Costco when the rug vendors are there.

If you are willing to go higher, I would go to a rug dealer.

I was looking for a rug that size a while back and went to the same local rug store where we bought a 5 x 7 rug once. The bigger rugs (I was looking at 10 x 12 and up) were ALL over $1500. Some were WAY over.

I ended up buying a 12 x 15 carpet remnant for $300 and having it bound for another $100. It looks to be good for 5 years or so and hide all the little stuff that showed up so well on our previous (dark colored) too small rug.

We have wood floors in our bedrooms. At first I considered a large area rug for the master bedroom but a lot of the floor space is taken up by the bed and we didn't really need that area to be covered. We ended up putting two small 2x4 rugs on each side of the bed and a wide runner 4X10 at the foot of the bed. This works well for us and is easy to keep clean. The area rugs can be lifted out of the way to clean the floor.

ETA: One of the small rugs came from Home Depot and one was a hand-me-down from my mother. We purchased the larger rug at an auction house that specializes in furniture and collectibles for $150, (it is a very nice rug, we could not have bought it new).:001_smile:

Edited by Denise in Florida

If you are wanting to stay in the $1000-2000 range you can try Home Depot, Lowes, Home Goods, and Costco when the rug vendors are there.

I wonder if that means that the 9x11 rugs I find on Amazon for $200 are totally not worth it. :tongue_smilie:

I have very little time to shop as well, so I was hoping to look online to save time and money. I do know that whatever we buy wont last over 3-6 yrs anyhow, with 6dc 12yo and younger. Should I still spend more??

Kim

I wonder if that means that the 9x11 rugs I find on Amazon for $200 are totally not worth it. :tongue_smilie:

I have very little time to shop as well, so I was hoping to look online to save time and money. I do know that whatever we buy wont last over 3-6 yrs anyhow, with 6dc 12yo and younger. Should I still spend more??

Kim

In my experience, the cheaper the rug, the rougher the texture and the harder to clean because it has loose fibers. They will usually wear out faster. But if you are just looking for something to quiet a room, it will probably be fine.

I have no idea why the ones on Amazon are so cheap, but I would be careful if you are putting them on a real hard wood floor. Rugs can damage a floor if it doesn't have a good backing on it. Laminate is more durable and less likely to scratch from a rough fiber rug (will work like sand paper on it). An aftermarket rug pad may fix this problem. I put a rug in my cart and it had a $40 shipping cost so that isn't too bad. I would also verify that the edges are sealed in such a way that the corners won't roll up. I don't know how to research that, but I have seen this in cheap rugs as well.

If you are willing to take a chance and don't care about the texture/pattern too much (I am a texture fanatic) it may be a good way to go for a temporary fix.

If you are considering buying online, Overstock.com used to have rugs also, but I don't care for their customer service so I would probably avoid them.

PS>Ikea also has large rugs and Target may have large rugs that you can order.

If you have a Home Goods store (usually connected to a TJ Maxx or Marshall's) in your area check it out. My sister bought a gorgeous $1800 rug for $400. I purchased a less gorgeous one for $150.

W also bought a nice plain wool rug for a modern-type room at IKEA.

We were interested in a good Oriental rug, wanted something nicer than what we saw at our Lowe's, and figured the fancy-sounding real-Oriental-rug store was way out of our range. We looked at Capel and they were all well over $2000. Figured for that price, we should at least look at the "real" store.

We were floored (pun intended)! In the $1000 range, they had a huge selection of very nice rugs, they were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, and I vowed to send everyone I know to them. :) If you have a "real" rug store, I'd at least give them a look.

We were interested in a good Oriental rug, wanted something nicer than what we saw at our Lowe's, and figured the fancy-sounding real-Oriental-rug store was way out of our range. We looked at Capel and they were all well over $2000. Figured for that price, we should at least look at the "real" store.

We were floored (pun intended)! In the $1000 range, they had a huge selection of very nice rugs, they were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, and I vowed to send everyone I know to them. :) If you have a "real" rug store, I'd at least give them a look.

That is good to hear. When I was shopping at a rug store 2 years ago, they didn't have anything in a 9x12 for less that $1800. There was a huge jump in price between the 6x8 to 9x12 foot range.

You could probably call and ask if they have anything in your price range at a local rug store.

Someone else mentioned overstock.com, but that they didn't like the customer service. I have two matching rugs in my living room and dining room that came from overstock.com and they were a great find. I have never had a problem buying from OS, so I can't say anything about the customer service issue, but I have to say that everything I've ever bought from them was not only a good buy, but excellent quality. Along with the two big rugs purchased eight years ago (and still in wonderful condition), I've also purchased bedding and window shades.

I will buy from OS whenever I can because of the great products and prices I've found there.

Blessings,

Lucinda

In my experience, the cheaper the rug, the rougher the texture and the harder to clean because it has loose fibers. They will usually wear out faster. But if you are just looking for something to quiet a room, it will probably be fine.

I have no idea why the ones on Amazon are so cheap, but I would be careful if you are putting them on a real hard wood floor. Rugs can damage a floor if it doesn't have a good backing on it. Laminate is more durable and less likely to scratch from a rough fiber rug (will work like sand paper on it). An aftermarket rug pad may fix this problem. I put a rug in my cart and it had a $40 shipping cost so that isn't too bad. I would also verify that the edges are sealed in such a way that the corners won't roll up. I don't know how to research that, but I have seen this in cheap rugs as well.

If you are willing to take a chance and don't care about the texture/pattern too much (I am a texture fanatic) it may be a good way to go for a temporary fix.

If you are considering buying online, Overstock.com used to have rugs also, but I don't care for their customer service so I would probably avoid them.

PS>Ikea also has large rugs and Target may have large rugs that you can order.

Thanks for all the replys! I have never looked for a rug, I didn't even know there were rug stores ?!?! I do have to have comfortable carpet on my feet. I was soft and long lasting. This is going on travertine which I do NOT want scratched. Great info Tab, thanks!!

That is good to hear. When I was shopping at a rug store 2 years ago, they didn't have anything in a 9x12 for less that $1800. There was a huge jump in price between the 6x8 to 9x12 foot range.

You could probably call and ask if they have anything in your price range at a local rug store.

We were looking for a dining room, so we were pretty specific about size- really only looked at 8 x 10, give or take a few inches. (It had to be bigger than the table/chairs, but smaller than the room itself.)

We looked at the importer warehouse kind of stores. I know of good experiences with both of these: http://www.jacobsenrugs.com/ , http://www.kambourian.com/

I got a catalog recently from a company called Flor. They make modular carpet tiles. You can purchase carpet tiles to fit even the most unusual-shaped rooms, and even cut them if you need to. You can also mix and match colors. They have a line of patterns designed by Martha Stewart.

I was so impressed by the catalog and the Flor website! Here's a link:

http://www.flor.com

I have purchased almost every rug in my house from overstock.com and I've always been pleased because the reviews are very helpful in determining if it is just like the picture or not. Also, if I'm purchasing a $300 rug original price for $100 then I know I'm getting a pretty good rug.

:iagree: We've had good luck and good service with overstock.

I just bought area rugs for my entire home (just redid the hardwoods and have them both up and down!) from Overstock.com. We purchased rugs that run the gamut from fancy orientals to children's rugs to indoor/outdoor rugs...a total of 7 rugs in all, plus rug pads to go under them. We are thrilled with everything we bought! I saved quite a bit by joining their "O Club" (sounds obscene, doesn't it? ;)), getting a 5% discount and free shipping on everything. I think with my large order I may have saved $100 or more, plus what I saved on buying much better quality rugs at discount prices than I could have anywhere around here.

Their shipping was fast, customer service was great and the rugs are fabulous...not to mention the fact that I got exactly what I wanted since they have a huge, ever-changing selection. No driving around, either! :D

Since others have had great luck with Overstock it may be a good place to look, especially since you have said that you would like it to be an online purchase.

The problems I have had with them was over an order of books. They had Horrible customer service. 30 minute wait times to talk to someone each time I called, bad miscommunication between departments (actually no communication !). Waiting 15minutes to talk to someone and then getting disconnected. They refused to do anything for 6 weeks for books that didn't arrive, saying they must still be on their way, even though their records showed that they only mailed one box, and it had arrived. They then made me call 5-6 times after the 6 week window, before I could get it all straightened out. Finally they sent he replacements, and some doubles of books I had already received. Then they wanted me to mail those back, and they would 'reimburse me'. Yeah Right! It took months, and many hours (10-15) to straighten out an order of a few books.

I used to order from them a lot, and when it went good, it was great! But when it was bad....it was horrid.

If you have trouble with the phone calls to CS, try using the Online Chat feature. You get an instant reply and they stay on the line with you until they figure out the answer to your question. If you want to risk using them again after that experience :glare:, you might try that instead of a phone call.