Menu

I am sick & tired of Prismacolor pencils breaking!

HollyBee

It seems like every time I sharpen these pencils, right when I get the tip reasonably sharp, the lead breaks! They're breaking up inside the pencil, if that make sense. I love the colors and quality, otherwise.

So what are the best alternatives? I've been looking at the Lyra pencils. Is there anything else I should consider?

Oh, and I am using a special metal sharpener that was sold at Michael's for the Prismacolors, and we don't sharpen anything else with that sharpener.

Thanks!

Holly

I was recently tossing up between Prisma and Derwent for my dd15- they are the 2 top brands sold here, with Prisma being more expensive and a slightly better quality. The lady told me though that Prisma are really soft and break easily. She said you must never drop them, and you must sharpen them with a knife, not a pencil sharpener. The Derwent are still artist quality- I went with them!

I didn't realize that would happen w/ prismacolors.

MAybe it's because we are careful with them and have carpet in the one room or they use them in their beds.

Anyway, my husband (professional illustrator) sharpens his prismacolors with an exactoknife.

I have been having this problem lately with REGULAR pencils!

korin

Lyra. Ferbies or Color Giants.

Not only do they not break, the color goes on more smoothly and isn't as pale as most colored pencils.

Mercurius was the cheapest source last time I ordered them. It has been a few years. They do have some restrictions - you have to be a "homeschool cooperative" and there are minimum quantities on some items.

http://www.mercurius-usa.com/

Edited by In The Great White North

Prismacolor makes a more durable one called Prismacolor Scholars

http://www.dickblick.com/products/prismacolor-scholar-art-pencils/

I haven't used them personally. I've also seen Prang recommended---we've had a few of those over the years and they seemed fine. From the website, looks like you can get them in two different core sizes.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/coloredpencils/#studentgradecoloredpencils

My daughter is much more interested in art lately and I've been thinking about getting her a set of the Prang or the Prismacolor Scholars for her 9th birthday in a couple months.

Interesting side note---while looking for this I came across a link for the Colored Pencil Society of America, a nonprofit dedicated to artists who work in colored pencil.

We have the Prang, and they are okay, but not my favorites. I should probably pull them out and give them another go.

Back to the Lyra, though, in case I decide to go that route: does anyone know the difference between the Super Furby, Color Giants, etc.? I'm not sure what I would need to get for an 11 yo and 9 yo.

Thanks!

Holly

I read here that pencils break when they are sharpened crooked. Sure enough, i can say this is true.... put it in and the pencil tilts off to one side. I've been working on getting them straight. I don't have as many issues with our prismacolors (i did them first, not the kids), but regular pencils these days.... can't keep a lead in them.

ANYWAY.... that is my advice. See how "off" they are and if that is the problem.

That's interesting Tracey. I'll have to go take a look! Sure would save me some money if I could fix it that way.

I know when I went to sharpen them for the very first time, there was a pencil in one kit (we have 2) that had NO lead in it at all. :glare:

Thanks!

Holly

Thanks everyone! I'm really leaning toward the Lyras. Any advice on the best place to purchase?

Holly[/quote

I dont know if Dick Blick carries them, but they are the best for returns. I had a can of paint I did not use and noticed it was the wrong thing. I called them and they handled everything over the phone no cost to me. They didnt even have me ship them the paint. The clincher is , I ordered it a year ago, with no receipt.

Are all these pencils from the same set? Because, it sounds to me, as if the set was dropped hard at some point (probably in shipping, or when they were stacking the shelves)! That's how all the leads would break up inside the pencils... it probably has nothing to do with the sharpener or anything.

We have, goodness, I don't know.... 7 or 8 or 9 sets of various types of Prismacolor pencils and only one set (again, a complete set) has breaking issues. The others have zero breakage problems.

We went with Prismacolors at first... and had the worst problem with them breaking. I have a high quality sharpener too... i never thought about them being dropped. Maybe they were dropped before i bought them or maybe we dropped them too many times, we do have hard floors..

In any case i was so over them that i went with Lyra Ferby... the Ferby ones are thicker for younger kids and we have LOVED them. As a matter of fact a few of them are getting rather stubby. I think we'll try the regular size ones next time. The colors are fantastic and go on so easily. My DS gave up crayons all together after we got them, he loves them so much.

I found these wonderful colored pencils at Hobby Lobby, in art dept. I bought them a year or so ago and the price was $14.99 at the time. I also used one of their 40% off coupons. They produce beautiful color and blend well. Here is a picture of them so you can see the colors.

We also use a cosmetic pencil sharpener because it produces a much shorter point, to keep from breaking.

Katie

post-5466-13535082926859_thumb.jpg

post-5466-13535082926859_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the back. It say's they outlast wood cased pencils, but they are trying to sell them... I do think they are great. I would love a set with more colors from this brand. I don't know if they make bigger sets. I have a set of watercolor prismacolor pencils that are just mine. I don't let my girls at those. It is a very large set, and I love them even if I don't watercolor with them. I bought these for my girls to use. The colors are amazing and so vivid.

Katie

post-5466-1353508292886_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1353508292886_thumb.jpg

I found these wonderful colored pencils at Hobby Lobby, in art dept. I bought them a year or so ago and the price was $14.99 at the time. I also used one of their 40% off coupons. They produce beautiful color and blend well. Here is a picture of them so you can see the colors.

We also use a cosmetic pencil sharpener because it produces a much shorter point, to keep from breaking.

Katie

We have the set with 2 trays...24 maybe? Also used a 40% off coupon on them. I've recommended them to everyone!!

We use the electric sharpener too. We tried the hand sharpener and didn't find it any better in preventing breakage, so I happily went back to using the electric one. We do sometimes have a pencil or two that seems to keep breaking (broken on the inside), but I bought our Prismacolor pencils off Ebay in a large lot of seconds, so I can't complain.

HTH

Here's a picture of the back. It say's they outlast wood cased pencils, but they are trying to sell them... I do think they are great. I would love a set with more colors from this brand. I don't know if they make bigger sets. I have a set of watercolor prismacolor pencils that are just mine. I don't let my girls at those. It is a very large set, and I love them even if I don't watercolor with them. I bought these for my girls to use. The colors are amazing and so vivid.

Katie

Thanks for the information! :)

Thanks everyone! You have all definitely given me food for thought.

I may try a cosmetic pencil sharpener first--if that works, then we can keep the Prismacolors. Definitely the least expensive route. Otherwise, I may take a look at the ones at Hobby Lobby, then the Lyras.

Thanks again!

Holly

Our Prismacolor pencils don't break, but we use a good electric sharpener.

It seems like every time I sharpen these pencils, right when I get the tip reasonably sharp, the lead breaks! They're breaking up inside the pencil, if that make sense. I love the colors and quality, otherwise.

So what are the best alternatives? I've been looking at the Lyra pencils. Is there anything else I should consider?

Oh, and I am using a special metal sharpener that was sold at Michael's for the Prismacolors, and we don't sharpen anything else with that sharpener.

Thanks!

Holly

We have a small set from Faber-Castell (it was a gift). Those are probably the best colored pencils we have had so far. I was particularly impressed that they don't break easily.

This gives me hope because we had always used crayola but I was looking for something a bit nicer. My dd uses colored pencils exclusively but is only 7.5 so no need for artist quality on math papers etc. I found some really nice looking faber castell triangular shaped ones (my kids love triangular shaped pencils if they aren't mechanical) but after all the talk of prismacolors and lyras was worried they wouldn't be that good.

Our Disney pencils (gift, believe me) were worthless -- points breaking if you reached for the sharpener and colors were faded even if you used superhuman pressure on them. Which made them break again too. Rose Art wasn't too much better. As a result, ds didn't color for a long time :glare:

In frustration, I asked dm (dear mom) to bring pencils from Aruba one Christmas. In Aruba the stores sell many European products, including Faber Castell. I love the Top Point pencils she got ds. She also brought some watercolor pencils. Beautiful colors, smooth, easy, great point.. what's not to love? Ds loves to draw and make cards now :)

In frustration, I asked dm (dear mom) to bring pencils from Aruba one Christmas. In Aruba the stores sell many European products, including Faber Castell. I love the Top Point pencils she got ds. She also brought some watercolor pencils. Beautiful colors, smooth, easy, great point.. what's not to love? Ds loves to draw and make cards now :)

SO really, can i use this as a reason to HAVE to go on vacation to Aruba??? :D

DD has had good luck with her Rose Art oddly enough, but she also got them at 10-11yo and won't let her younger sisters use them. She MUCH prefers my prismacolors though!

I haven't read all the other posts, but Prismacolor pencils don't do that if kiddos treat them with care. We keep them in the boxes and they are careful to not drop the box, or the pencils individually. When drawing, they replace the pencil in the spot in the box so it doesn't roll off the table onto the hardwood floor. Prismacolor pencils are artist-quality and so our kiddos are taught to treat them as such from an early age.

Kimm

We'll always love our Prismacolors, and I have a fancy sharpener recommended specifically for them, and I am very careful, but sometimes the lead just falls out or breaks with barely any pressure. Never dropped them or mistreat them. Not all break like butter, so maybe just some have problem leads? I know the soft lead is one of the reasons they are so desirable and they blend well, but I had enough this week.

The Lyra Ferby pencils arrived, and not one has broken yet.

We will use our Prismacolors when we want a wide selection of color (I have over 100 pencils), and it's going to be a more important drawing, and the Lyras for the everyday stuff.

Just weighing in as the mother of another Lyra pencil fan. My teen, who loves art, has had a set since doing a year at a Waldorf inspired charter school. We've bought additional pencils to augment her set and given them as stocking stuffers or back to school gifts. She has both the Ferbys and the Giants. Apart from the shape and exterior (our Giants are painted the color of the lead while the Ferbys are plain wood), there is no discernible difference that she has mentioned.

Regards,

Kareni

OK, I confess that I haven't an artistic bone in my body. The kids and I use Crayola Twistables. How bad of a crime against all things artsy is this?

:iagree:

Me too. I don't know what we had before, but they were pathetic - required super human effort to use and broke continually. Twistables actually put color on the page and don't have to be sharpened. Winners in my book :lol:!

• 2 weeks later...