Menu

Fiction book recs for me?

I will have my annual 4 days at home alone w/ my oldest disabled son. My husband is taking our 3 younger children across the country to his family for their annual trip. I want to hang out in my son's room in my favorite comfy armchair and lose the days away in a great book!

FYI, I already read Twilight. I tried Outlander after it was recommended but it wasn't my cup of tea. I do want to read a book that I can't stop reading since I'll have lots of time to read.

Thanks for any recs!

Edited by LNC

Are you interested in Christian romance fiction? Liz Curtis Higgs' Lowlands of Scotland series is good--it starts with Thorn in My Heart. More than good. Amazing. Incredible. Can't put down. And when you get to the end of the first book, you'd better have the next one ready, because as I recall, I felt like I had a "thorn in my heart" at the end, it was such a cliffhanger.

I am reading & really enjoying The Historian.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice is also excellent. And, it's part of a series, so you could have multiple reads for your days. (I haven't read any more of the series yet myself.)

In the Company of the Courtesan

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (very short, but excellent, book)

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear (delightfully zany & odd)

People of the Book (beautiful & intense)

The Eyre Affair

Dancer (fictionalized biography of Nureyev)

Freddy & Fredericka

The Sparrow (sci-fi; fascinating & well-told, but may not be for everyone)

Enjoy your reading time! :001_smile:

Edited by Stacia

I see the two books that came immediately to mind have already been recommended--The Thirteenth Tale and The Sparrow.

Gilead is good, but not quite as gripping.

An oldy but goody is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. Don't let the time travel element throw you. This is mostly a historical novel about the Middle Ages.

Hm, maybe I'm the only one who wasn't crazy about The Thirteenth Tale. I did find it engrossing, but I didn't *like* it, if that makes any sense... I didn't leave it feeling uplifted in any way -- quite the opposite.

I've been reading some Eva Ibbotson novels lately, and they're perfect for drawing you in, including a bit of romance, interesting historical backgrounds... I've recently read and enjoyed A Company of Swans, A Countess Below Stairs, and A Song for Summer.

I have developed the worst attention span for grown-up fiction. It's wierd bc I love to read biographies, non-fiction, and children's fiction.

I've attempted many of the titles I see on here (and on this thread) from time to time, The Thirteenth Tale, The Historian, People of the Book, Eva Ibbotson (the one about the ballet dancer)- and they just didn't draw me in. Not sure why. Maybe just my attention span!

I like books about relationships (either lightly romantic and/or families) and vivid settings. My favorites of all time are the L.M. Montgomery books and Maud Hart Lovelace. Maybe other children's authors are close seconds to them.

I don't usually enjoy fantasy. I enjoy really well written Christian when I can find it! I read Susan Meissner's books this spring and I really enjoyed her work. My daughter wants me to read her L'engle books. I bought "And the Ladies of the Club" last summer. The Eyre Affair looks good - maybe I'll try those?

Any other suggestions? I really appreciate it!

Edited by LNC

Are you interested in Christian romance fiction? Liz Curtis Higgs' Lowlands of Scotland series is good--it starts with Thorn in My Heart. More than good. Amazing. Incredible. Can't put down. And when you get to the end of the first book, you'd better have the next one ready, because as I recall, I felt like I had a "thorn in my heart" at the end, it was such a cliffhanger.

My library doesn't have the first one :(. I might get it from Amazon though - I'm checking into it! Thanks!

You might see what your library has by Bill Bryson. He writes primarily humorous travel writing but also has written a book on science and several on language. I've enjoyed them all.

A romance, if you're interested in that genre, that I've enjoyed is LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory. (Here's a site with synopses of her books: AllReaders.Com.)

If you like time travel type books, you might enjoy Replay by Ken Grimwood.

Enjoy your time with your son.

Regards,

Kareni

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It grabbed my interest from page 1. I've read several books since reading the Twilight series last summer, but this is the first one, since the Twilight books, that I'm reading at every spare moment. Very enjoyable!

I read all four of the Twilight books in 3 days, LOL. Couldn't put them down!

Some other faves have been:

The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards

The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls (not sure if I'm spelling her name right, it's a memoir, excellent!)

Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock

anything by Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic series, Can You Keep a Secret, The Undomestic Goddess... very funny)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith

Night, by Elie Wiesel (sp?)

Pride and Prejudice

Darcy's Story, by Janet Aylmer (P & P told from Darcy's point of view)

Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

The Bright Forever, by Lee Martin

A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby

Sleep Toward Heaven, by Amanda Eyre Ward

The Year of Fog, by Michelle Richmond

... just to name a few :001_smile:

And I can't seem to stop reading Jodi Picoult's books. They're like a train wreck that I can't help looking at. When I finish them I always hate them. I just don't like the way they end. I figure she's a great writer, though, to be able to make me feel so strongly about her stories.

-Angie

You might see what your library has by Bill Bryson. He writes primarily humorous travel writing but also has written a book on science and several on language. I've enjoyed them all.

:iagree:

A couple of others I really enjoyed are The Time Traveler's Wife and The Help. I just read The Help and by the middle of it was realizing I didnt' want it to end. Very good.

Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott, or Bird by Bird by the same author. They are a little rough, but the author is a liberal Christian and she tells her life like it is. OI will make you laugh hysterically and cry in the same breath.

Anything by Torey Hayden, but especially One Child. It is my favorite education book of all time. She worked with ED kids in several settings--this one takes place in a special classroom within a "regular" elementary and is the story of her interactions with a child who comes from terrible circumstances. It's just brilliant, but matter of fact at the same time.

Waiting for Baby will break your heart but is so good. Easy to read.

A couple of others I really enjoyed are The Time Traveler's Wife and The Help. I just read The Help and by the middle of it was realizing I didn't want it to end. Very good.

Hmm, is this the one you mean? The Help It does sound good! I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife, too.

Regards,

Kareni

And I can't seem to stop reading Jodi Picoult's books. They're like a train wreck that I can't help looking at. When I finish them I always hate them. I just don't like the way they end. I figure she's a great writer, though, to be able to make me feel so strongly about her stories.

I've read a number of hers lately, too. I know what you mean about the endings. They always seem just a tad pat. Still, I continue to read them. What does that say about us??

Regards,

Kareni

I got something different for you - at least I didn't see it mentioned yet.

Anne Perry: "Breach of Promise" or "Cater Street Hangman" - if you like clean mysteries but well written.

This author deals with the structure of British society in the Victorian era.

Elizabeth Peters: The Amelia Peabody Series.

Also set in Victorian/Edwardian times but with more humor than Perry. Also well written.

If you are looking for Christian fiction, I can recommend most books by Karen Kingsbury.

If you love biographies, I laughed very much reading Ruth Bell Graham's bio by Patricia Cornwell.

Someone below mentioned The Eyre Affair -- all of the "Tuesday Next" books by Jasper Fforde are a hoot to read. I have stayed up to the wee hours finishing every last one of them. Eventually there will be 8 (according to his website). The most-recent was published in July of 2008 (#5). #6 is due out Summer of 2010. 5 books could keep you busy for a while :)

Someone below mentioned The Eyre Affair -- all of the "Tuesday Next" books by Jasper Fforde are a hoot to read.

I borrowed this book from my sister, read the first few pages and couldn't seem to follow the storyline. I was really tired that night. I guess maybe I should try again since several people have mentioned it!

I want to second anything by Eva Ibbotson!

Another author I love is Laurie Colwin - try Happy All The Time and if you like it, read some of her others.

My oldest is reading The Eyre Affair now and we are both excited to read more Fforde!

Tana French -- In the Woods & the Likeness

Smith, Tom Rob -- Child 44

In the Woods was one of the best books I read last year.

For stories about very realistic families/relationships, you might enjoy Joanna Trollope. That's not my usual genre, but I end up being drawn into her books very easily.

Since you mentioned you like Christian fiction, here are some of my favorite authors/books:

Funny/Entertaining:

Rene Gutteridge (My Life as a Doormat, Never the Bride, Skid)

Rachel Hauck (Sweet Caroline, Love Starts with Elle)

Kristin Billerbeck (What A Girl Wants series)

Camy Tang (Sushi for One series)

Suspense/Thriller:

Brandilyn Collins--anything by her is a fast-paced, edge of your seat read

Colleen Coble--especially love her Rock Harbor series

Ted Dekker--Kiss

Tim Downs--LOVE his Bugman series

Robert Liparulo (only read if you have a strong stomach, LOL!)

Young Adult:

Jenny B Jones (LOVE LOVE LOVE her book So Not Happening. Laughed so hard my ribs hurt)

Anne Dayton/May Vanderbilt

Shelley Adina (The Fruit of My Lipstick series)

Literary/Misc:

Tosca Lee (Demon: A Memoir, Havah)

Lisa Samson

Siri Mitchell (A Constant Heart)

Susan Meissner (The Shape of Mercy--one of my faves last year)

And if you like penguins, my best friend, Betsy St. Amant has a release in July called Return to Love about a penguin keeper who falls back into love with her childhood best friend:001_smile:

Well, I admit when I have time to read like that, I often reach for mystery fluff. So it may not be your cup of tea, but I really enjoy Laura Child's Teashop Mystery series. (pun not intended) http://www.laurachilds.com/

And Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mysteries, especially the earlier ones ... http://www.stephaniebarron.com/books.html

They're slower, and may not hold your attention as well, but I also really like the Beatrix Potter Cottage Mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert. http://www.cottagetales.com/index.shtml

The Thirteenth Tale

:iagree:Just finished this and loved it!

Anything by Jodi Picoult is usually good... my favorites are My Sister's Keeper, Second Glance, and Change of Heart.

I also love anything by Jane Austen.

I recently read March by Geraldine Brooks which is Mr. March's story (from Little Women) while he's away at war. It was well told and historically interesting.

Enjoy your reading time! It's my favorite thing to do! :001_smile:

PS - I read your opening post before reading your response... sorry to recommend adult fiction...

Edited by jenL
didn't include right information

You aren't the only one. :) 13th Tale was very well written and engrossing, but I didn't *like* it either. In fact, I was working on a downward spiral into depression at the time, and I think I picked up speed about then...

I definitely wouldn't recommend this book for anyone who is feeling depressed. In my initial review of it on my blog, I described it as being like opium (or what I imagine opium to be like). I felt heavy while I was reading it.

I happened to be in a good place when I read it, but there are times it would be a bad book for me to read.