Menu

Ridiculous!

Did anyone else see the article in which Brooke Shields basically states she wished she'd accepted her (body weight) when she was younger because she thinks, if she had, she would have definitely lost her virginity earlier??

I'm floored, saddened, disheartened, disgusted, addyourownadjective, etc!

This was the first part of the article:

USMagazine, May 26, 2009

Related: Brooke Shields

Brooke Shields says she wishes she learned to "love the way" she looked "earlier."

Why?

"I think I would have had sex a lot earlier!" the actress jokes in the June issue of Health magazine. "I think I would have lost my virginity earlier than I did at 22."

"I had the public and this pressure, and I wish I had just gotten it over with in the beginning, when it was sort of OK. I think I could have been much more in touch with myself," Shields -- who was a child model -- continues.

My question is: What difference does it make NOW? And how SAD that she seems to think she "missed out" by not losing her virginity earlier!

So, does her opinion now negate all she said in her book, "What My Virginity Means to Me?"

Frankly, I wish people would keep their s*xual status to themselves. Do we really need to know this about people? (not criticizing the OP; this is a rant in general)

So, does her opinion now negate all she said in her book, "What My Virginity Means to Me?"

Frankly, I wish people would keep their s*xual status to themselves. Do we really need to know this about people? (not criticizing the OP; this is a rant in general)

:iagree:

Personally, I think Brooke Shields said what she did because she's smart enough to realize that it would provide her with an incredible amount of publicity, and I'm sure that's exactly what she was aiming for.

I can honestly say that I don't care at all if, when, where, why, or how Brooke lost her virginity, and I would assume that very few of her fans are young enough to be influenced by her ideas to the point of rushing out to grab the nearest guy off the street and have their way with him, just so they don't foolishly and misguidedly wait until they are 22 years old before they see any action.

I'm guessing that most Brooke Shields fans are at least in their 30's, and by now, the whole virginity thing is pretty much old news to them. (And I'm sure that, to most teenaged girls, Brooke Shields is just another old lady with kids...)

And speaking of kids, I can't help but wonder if one day Brooke's ticky-tacky comments will come back to bite her when her own daughter decides "not to wait," because, after all, Mom wished that she hadn't.

Cat

Had I known that Brooke Shields was the subject of this thread I would have avoided it.

Does anyone remember a few years back when she went on her 'PPD tour' (not to make light of something so serious).

She was on Diane Rehm maybe? Going on and on about breastfeeding, then gives it up, blames PPD (which legitimately does happen) then does formula commercials "I've only used this product for my children" What hapened to the time you were supposedly BF?

The woman says anything for PR. IM(Humble)O she has absolutely no self respect or credibilty on anything that comes out of her mouth.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Robyn

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous to look to Hollywood for role models. Or anyone outside friends, family and community members. If you can't know someone personally then it's ridiculous to hold them up as some kind of role model in life.

I'm quite willing to bet Brooke Shields would agree with this and really doesn't give a hoot about who might be disappointed when she discusses her sexuality.

Personally, I know what she's talking about. I didn't have sex until my mid-twenties and then it was only with the man I would marry. Not too bad, eh? Except virginity doesn't have a lot of sacredness or value for someone when you only have it by virtue of social awkwardness or an extreme discomfort with your body. Then it simply seems like a symptom of things wrong with you, not some treasured ideal. I, and I guess maybe Brooke, might have come to grips with ourselves and gotten on a steadier path sooner if we'd simply gotten over ourselves earlier and perhaps had a role in the hay or two.

I'm certain many here would disagree and that's fine. What I don't get is the need to be disappointed or saddened simply because someone is discussing their experience in life.

All other Brooke Shields-isms aside, I find it interesting that someone whose body was photographed and put on billboards reflects on body insecurity issues as a hurdle in intimate settings.

I sort of wonder about that myself but I remember a friend from high school who modeled. She was gorgeous but never saw it herself even as she got modeling jobs because of how she looked. I think it shows a big disconnect for some people between how they see themselves and how they are perceived...that gulf is probably the more important point Brooke Shields was addressing. That it would have been wonderful not to have to deal with that...Having sex would have just been a nice side effect. :)

And speaking of kids, I can't help but wonder if one day Brooke's ticky-tacky comments will come back to bite her when her own daughter decides "not to wait," because, after all, Mom wished that she hadn't.

I wondered about this as well.

Quite the contrast with Bristol Palin on the cover of People magazine, and her quote, "If girls really understood the consequences of sex, nobody would be having premarital sex. Trust me. Nobody."

I saw that, too. I have tremendous admiration for Bristol.

Except virginity doesn't have a lot of sacredness or value for someone when you only have it by virtue of social awkwardness or an extreme discomfort with your body. Then it simply seems like a symptom of things wrong with you, not some treasured ideal.

This is very insightful. I think this is always an issue with not doing something; is it because you actively don't want to, or because you've never had the chance? It might be more significant if chastity itself had value instead of being a "nobody." I think this applies to many things; not drinking, not doing drugs, not acting immorally can become more significant if one is choosing instead to do something, to frame ourselves as aspiring to something. Maybe.

One trouble with having been a celebrity is that a person thinks that everyone follows their every move or thought. I don't care whether she plucks her eyebrows, brushes her teeth, takes depression medicines, or had early encounters with Michael Jackson. Unfortunately many others often do care what they are doing.

Look at the recent show she was on.... it was all about sexuality. Pitiful thing to say. I have a feeling she is trying to "fit in" with the Hollywood crowd and not seem like a nerd or a stiff.

Too bad she isn't as strong at 40 something as she was at 19!

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous to look to Hollywood for role models. Or anyone outside friends, family and community members. If you can't know someone personally then it's ridiculous to hold them up as some kind of role model in life.

I'm quite willing to bet Brooke Shields would agree with this and really doesn't give a hoot about who might be disappointed when she discusses her sexuality.

Personally, I know what she's talking about. I didn't have sex until my mid-twenties and then it was only with the man I would marry. Not too bad, eh? Except virginity doesn't have a lot of sacredness or value for someone when you only have it by virtue of social awkwardness or an extreme discomfort with your body. Then it simply seems like a symptom of things wrong with you, not some treasured ideal. I, and I guess maybe Brooke, might have come to grips with ourselves and gotten on a steadier path sooner if we'd simply gotten over ourselves earlier and perhaps had a role in the hay or two.

I'm certain many here would disagree and that's fine. What I don't get is the need to be disappointed or saddened simply because someone is discussing their experience in life.

Great post, Dawn.

Quite the contrast with Bristol Palin on the cover of People magazine, and her quote, "If girls really understood the consequences of sex, nobody would be having premarital sex. Trust me. Nobody."

If girls put any thought whatsoever into it, they do understand the consequences.

Personally, I don't have a very high opinion of Bristol Palin.

If girls put any thought whatsoever into it, they do understand the consequences.

Personally, I don't have a very high opinion of Bristol Palin.

I think there are consequences you can't understand no matter how much thought is put into it until later. There is certainly pregnancy but there is also an emotional connection that some women now cannot feel or have a hard time finding with their husbands because they gave it to others first. You cannot know that at 16, 17, 18, etc...