Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. DS made him all by himself when he was six. He didn’t/doesn’t work with his hands *at all* so it was truly amazing. It has a face on both sides ❤️ Monster is tucked in to the couch blankets ready for my nap. I’m so excited lol.
  3. Not since probably elementary school. I didn't know adults sleeping with stuffies was a thing, even though I know many pets wind up in the people beds.
  4. You need a developmental optometrist as she likely has developmental vision problems. Also get an OT eval to check for retained reflexes. When the primitive/neonatal reflexes are retained, it glitches development of the visual reflexes, leading to developmental vision problems. If you get a good OT eval and someone to integrate reflexes, you could do that for 3-6 months then test vision fully with the developmental optometrist to see if things are back on track. And the jumping I think is saccades. COVD is the org to find a developmental optometrist.
  5. I don't but did until I married ex and he got bent out of shape. I now realize I can do what I want but the habit isn't there. I am going to forward the article to dh. He used to constantly roll his eyes when the kids (16 and 18) buy stuffies. They are both into them and have many, some from when they were younger but quite a few bought more recently. I tell him to keep quiet and they are allowed to like whatever it is they like. He has gotten better, although the $50 huge (body pillow size) stuffed axolotl I bought for dd over the weekend did cause a slight eye roll. But she has anxiety and I'm trying to encourage her to speak up when she wants something. In addition to the axolotl, dd has a slightly smaller (only about 24") weighted axolotl, and a 24" lobster she got in Maine that all live on her bed, named Macaroni (lobster), Cheese (weighted axolotl) and Loaf (new axolotl). I don't sleep with any stuffies but I have a teddy bear I was given when I was 9 and in the hospital. At work I have 3 axolotls (one a gift from a student), a turtle with babies one of my employees knit for me, a stuffed chromodoris (sea slug), three peas in a pod (gift from dd), a bat that has snap bracelet wings, and a penguin, a frog, and hedgehog that were "hand-me-downs" from the kids. So, none in/on my bed but I definitely like stuffies.
  6. I have seen a link with so much TMI. 😳
  7. I did j til marriage and now use an extra pillow with the occasional stuffie loaned from a child.
  8. Bingo. Combine LIPS with your speech therapy methodology. The SLP can do it or you can. My ds had moderate/severe verbal apraxia and the language development is a separate piece. The praxis is the motor planning. You still have auditory processing, narrative language, retained reflexes, syntax, myofunctional issues, so many things to deal with. Fwiw, we now use multiple SLPs to make sure we hit all the angles of language. Each SLP specializes in something or does something particularly well so we use 3-4. No one person knows everything. We did LIPS + Barton and got my ds reading but then he was hyperlexic and dyslexic. Then we added the work on syntax, sigh, which improved the language compression. The higher the IQ, the more challenging it can be to assess language development. My ds *appeared* to have intact language but was scripting. At age 10 he failed the preschool SPELT expressive language test. Most tests give models and use multiple choice, which higher IQ kids can fake their way through. (google sensitivity vs. specificity in testing) Without models and multiple choice, his issues became obvious. Maybe you'll have none of that, but you might. Apraxia is usually comorbid with much more going on.
  9. I sleep with a real, live puppy dog 😉
  10. Fingers crossed! That would be a pleasant surprise! 🙂
  11. None of the curriculum will actually treat the APD. It's an auditory processing of *language* disorder so you're looking for an SLP who specializes in it or possibly an audiologist. You'll know when you have the right person. My ds has been working with an SLP for it for a couple years now. I also did work with him using materials you can buy at ProEdInc.com. I used the 3 volume set for auditory processing and the SLP is using the other materials (look up the name there). Really though, it's handy to have someone else doing it because they can bring nuance, consistency, and fine tuning. My ds got radical improvements the first 6 months to a year working with her and now they just continue to target pesky nuances (particular sounds that are hard for him to process, using his working memory while processing, etc. etc.). So you can do a lot but an SLP or audiologist who has gotten good at working on it will bring even more. As for the learning to read, we did our work before FIS came out. At that time Barton recommended LIPS, which is still the most powerful tool as it directly correlates production to sound. It was developed by SLPs and my ds had moderate/severe verbal apraxia, making it the most powerful tool. I combined it with his speech therapy metholodogy to get the visual + hands. Dianne Craft's program is pulling together a lot of concepts so you might consider getting an OT eval if you think you have need for that. Her stuff is great (from what I've seen) but you have this learning curve to even know why you need to do it. A good OT eval will help with that learning curve. Your dc very likey has retained primitive/neonatal reflexes, and integrating those is another pivotal step in language development. DC is including info on that I think, but without the in person evals you don't know why you need it. There are different systems for reflex integration but MNRI is one to look for if you can find someone trained in it.
  12. Good morning! It’s cool and wet. Not great camping weather… 😕🏕️ Today is just camping prep and packing. Hope to be outta here no later than 2:00. Gear Food (only a little - troop cooks) Meds etc. Clothes I need to go to CVS and REI. And maybe a quick run to the grocery - need charcoal. Having tea and working on food now. Dinner will be a grilled steak with veggies in a foil pack.
  13. Fwiw, it seems like some people need to stretch BACK (like cobra yoga pose) and some people need to stretch FORWARD (cat pose, arched back). I did PT for my back and everything that was cobra pose, arching back, made it much much worse, and the exercises that were going forward and arching the back (cat pose) made it better. But your back could be the opposite. Scarlett's stretch is that curving forward and one they used with me. Also hip thrusters (lie on floor, squeeze gluts, thrust up with both feet then each foot). Also things like standing from a seated position very intentionally and SQUEEZING YOUR GLUTS. When you sit, make effort to alternately squeeze your gluts. When you drive you can do this too. Also lying prone you can do it, squeezing each side of the buttocks. From a seated position you can gently lean forward to touch the floor. All of that can be done in sets of 10 x4 multiple times a day. The core, pelvic floor, and gluts work together so as those get weak and stretched out the back takes on load, causing the pain/strain. I did something to flare it up again recently so I'm doing the stretches all over again, sigh. Just don't do the wrong direction. It should feel BETTER when you're going the right direction. You can also ice throughout the day to reduce inflammation.
  14. Starr

Wordle

Wordle 1,042 4/6 ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜ ⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  15. You're not getting enough sleep is the short answer. Your quality of sleep is so low that your brain is always on, listening for things and helping others. Since there's no activity at that hour, your brain is creating it.
  16. @Ditto, hugs to you. ❤️
  17. Junie

Wordle

Wordle 1,042 3/6 ⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜ 🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  18. Good morning! I ended up skipping some of my astronomy work last night and went to a presentation on the Artemis missions/meeting basic needs in a long term colonization mission (bioregeneration). It was great, but I could have done without the trio of old, non-sober men in the front who dominated the Q&A portion with inane questions. When the thought starts with "I remember an old sci-fi movie...." whatever follows is not going to be on topic, insightful, or relevant. On the upside, ds14 was so mortified during our talk and the implications his actions had, that he has made some choices that reflect his willingness to do better. Today: finish astronomy homework midterm go to the grocery store family time? Maybe go for a walk
  19. Well, it isn't over yet! Dh's boss had told him there was no negotiating room, and that he had already tried to get more but they said no. However, Dh has been slow playing it and telling them he had to think about it and he wasn't sure. He texted his boss this morning to ask again if there was room for negotiation and he said he had been talking with HR to see if they can get him anymore. Dh had planned to sign the papers today if they said it was set in stone but maybe he can squeeze a bit more out of them. We shall see!
  20. I think that sleepwalking is considered a sleep disorder by itself. It can also be caused by a lack of sleep. I suspect the lack of dreams (or perceived lack of dreams) can too. But a lack of dreams can also be caused by actual disorders that interfere with the REM stage of sleep.
  21. Good morning! slept late here, too. Today's list has stuff leftover from yesterday, plus new stuff, in no particular order: ...coffee ...go thru the pantry to sort the party stuff ...put away the piles of school prep I did yesterday (still in piles on the table) (some needs cutting/stapling) ...tutor my Friday kiddos ...meet with a mom friend who needs help figuring out hs'ing her 8th grader ...go to the store, get the party things that are needed ...home, iron on the letters to the quilt ...start going thru and assembling party favors for the class parties ...check with DH - dinner????? ...eat, veg out, etc. I think that's about it. Oh! birthday gift shopping for my Friday kiddo - her bday/party is tomorrow.
  22. Today
  23. Good morning! I slept in, and I'll get ready and go about an hour north of here to have lunch with a friend. She moved there last month. It's the same county as my dad, so I'll see him if he's home. I didn't tell him because I didn't want him to change any plans for me. The construction guy is coming after school to take measurements of our front door so we can look around for one. I've already priced similar style doors online. It's going to cost so much! I just pray there isn't damage underneath the door and that none of the rock around the door comes off when they take the door out. I hope everyone has a great day!
  1. Load more activity