Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. @Heigh Ho oops I missed that part! Thank you for sharing. That reminded me a bit of my first grade experience. I was in a room called K-1. I wasn’t prepared for the regular grade 1 as I moved from out of state and due to cut off dates ended up skipping K without ever learning to read. They decided to keep me in first grade boy move me to the room where there were fewer first graders. The main teacher worked with the K students. I mainly worked with the teacher aid in a smaller group.
  3. Its your choice. The couple should remember to inform the officiant and spouse if there will be no rehearsal dinner. If there are out of town guests, they should know they are on their own for that evening unless someone else plans to host them.
  4. NYC did the 3rd grade gate for a while. It didn't help in the long run. In our area, it comes down to full inclusion...the classrooms are one-size-fits-all, if the student is below that level he is pulled out for 'remediation' -- so he has to do his zpd (zone of proximal development) level work and still be exposed to the higher level work in the whole class ELA block that he doesn't have the skill to comprehend. In the past, it was three reading groups per room, about 6 months apart in skill level and students went thru the phonics program with leveled readers in a sequential manner -- much higher success rate. What the successful districts do here is provide a Transitional First Grade classroom. At the end, students may re-join the original cohort if they made enough progress, or stay with the new cohort and not struggle. ENL really doesn't have anything to do with it. In your linked article, its states that those results aren't included. For us, we found the culture of literacy mattered as well as the family expectation of doing enough work outside of school to acheive mastery if work inside isn't sufficient. Those parents are aware of Accelerated Reader and use the public library, so their dc are always provided with appropriate material and practice time. The summer slump doesn't affect them. This is college grad time here; I'm celebrating my young friend who knew no English at Kindy and graduated from U Mich. We had some great book discussions in K-3 via summer reading at the library.
  5. Yesterday, DH had an unexpected day off, so we took the kids to Legoland. They had a ball, but I was underwhelmed. We happened to be there at the same time as a school group. I do understand that there were a lot of kids per adult, and all of them were very excited, but it made it really hard for my kids to enjoy any of the attractions. I had to speak up to make sure my kids weren't waiting in an endless line while the school kids wandered around chaotically in line so no one could tell who was there first and who should wait. I suspect it may have been easier for the adults to keep tabs if they hadn't been on their phones as often. We left early and went to Mexican Village for lunch, which was yummy. Later, the kids had their last Wednesday church meeting, which meant pizza party and loads of plastic trinkets that are now their most treasured possessions. They had a ball and we got home late, but happy. Today is slow going. I made some much needed phone calls and we ran some errands. We're only doing a half day of lessons today and tomorrow, because I have a deadline this weekend and have to spend some extra time writing to make it.
  6. Part 5 of 6: Meet the students who are earning a college degree — in high school By Jillian Berman Published: May 23, 2019 8:24 a.m. ET https://www.marketwatch.com/story/at-these-high-schools-students-also-earn-a-college-degree-2019-05-23?mod=jillian-berman “As educators and nonprofits began experimenting with these schools, they identified Texas as a fruitful state for launching them, partly due to the relative autonomy the state gives to its school districts, according to Chris Coxon, the managing director of programs at Educate Texas, an initiative of Communities Foundation of Texas , an organization focused on transforming the state’s public and higher education systems. In addition, both the size and demographics of the Texas student population meant that the state was a good place to test whether early-college high schools could be scaled across different types of regions and metropolitan areas, he said. El Paso launched its first early college, on the Mission campus of El Paso Community College in 2006, funded in part by a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. The region opened its second early college on the Valle Verde campus of EPCC in 2007 and then launched Northwest and Transmountain in 2008. And officials have been expanding the program at a relatively fast clip ever since. These days, there are 12 early colleges in six of the 12 school districts that encompass El Paso with plans for several more. Research shows early colleges are effective, but it’s unclear exactly why The small body of research that exists on early colleges shows them to be effective at getting their students to and through college, but we still don’t have much evidence yet on what exactly makes them effective or what makes one school more effective than another, said Julia Duncheon, an assistant professor at UTEP, who studies dual credit, dual enrollment, and early colleges. If communities are going to scale these programs, they should be scaling what works and a too-rapid pace of expansion makes that less likely, she said. “The way that the early-college model is playing out is a reflection of the broader national emphasis” on signals of college completion, like the number of degrees and credits earned, Duncheon said. “My question is what about quality, what about substance?” ... ‘We have really long career goals’ The students have varying goals and motivations for attending what can often be a more academically rigorous version of high school; in addition to extra homework the college courses sometimes require throughout the year, students often spend their summers in school to make sure they’re on track to graduate with an associate’s degree. Several mentioned a parent who was interested in saving time and money or just generally getting ahead, but many students had their own reasons for attending. “Most of us here either want to be a doctor or an engineer,” said Kate Rosales, a sophomore at Northwest. “We have really long career goals,” so any academic head start they can get is valuable, she added. Some appreciate the chance to practice some of the more intangible challenges that can come up in college, like how to manage your time or concentrate effectively on a reading assignment that can stretch dozens of pages. “It’s better to learn those now when you’re at community college then go to a big university and completely blow it,” said Deon Maxwell, a junior at Valle Verde. “We get all of the rookie mistakes out of the way.” But in addition to facilitating students’ ambition, many of the El Paso early colleges with their outdoor hallways, portable classrooms, relatively flexible schedules and access to a community college campus provide a vibe that some prefer to a more traditional high school environment. “Right off the bat, I want to say that this school is so small but in a way that’s a good thing,” Emily Early, a Valle Verde senior, answered excitedly when asked about her experience. “You get to know people on a whole new level and you get to know your teachers on a whole new level. Your teachers see you as a face and a name rather than just being a number or a grade.” That closeness offers other benefits too, Maxwell says. “They treat us a lot more like adults here.””
  7. A quick squirt with a water bottle will do the trick. Make a noise while you do it -- a loud hiss or a certain yelp (in order to avoid confusion, choose a noise you don't usually make, could even being shouting STOP) -- and the cat will learn that the noise means the squirt of water is likely on the way. Soon you should be able to simply make the noise and the cat will know to knock off whatever it's doing. If the cat is really sensitive to noise, a quick hand clap might also do the trick, startling it into stopping. OTOH, that's how my neighbor calls her cat in when it gets out (the sound carries well), so that might be a noise that you want to save for a positive reinforcement.
  8. Expensive ones.😩😩😩😩😩😩 We moves into a 25 year old house at Christmastime and it is actually very well maintained and kept up, but there are some things..... 1) Carpeting.... we just had all the carpeting (which we are pretty sure was original) replaced this week. We had planned on that when we bought the house, so rolled that into the loan, etc., but was still hard to stomach. I am an extremely insecure decorator and while I like the carpet, it’s darker than what was here (what was here was very light) and so I’m feeling very insecure about it. 2) Exterior painting.... it’s a stucco exterior and needs to be re-dashed. Lots and lots of cracks from settling. I need to get on that this week. 3) Solar is underway. 4) Lots and lots of yard work. Poor DH, the lawns are all a mess of weeds, several different types of grasses.
  9. Give them a choice. They are adults with a family.
  10. Happy birthday, Selkie. (I had to wait until 52 for that particular wish and even then I had it once a year for two years.).
  11. We finally got my dd dX'd and she has the ADD plus an LD though she is gifted above 130 IQ, so an interesting cookie 🙂 ...we went to the community college to ask for accommodations with our paperwork and they were AMAZING! For the ADD they offered her a digital recorder, time and a half, proctoring, and on and on. But yes, the student still actually has to use the services. It sounds like you've done so many great things! ((hugs)) keep up the good work. you can black list websites on the ipad as well as shutting down gaming time....Apple parental controls are amazing. BUT at 16-17 it's probably not that helpful at this point.
  12. To the locals on this board, can you recommend a bbq place. Edleys was good, just wondering if there are others. Is Jacks bbq good? Scout, that would be fun! I'm sure you'd have a great turnout!
  13. I would tell the cat to knock it off. Our cat chases our dogs and we just yell at him (not in a mean way) and he stops. Our bunnies chase the cat and dog and we do the same with them. I think that there is a misperception that only dogs can be trained.
  14. Good morning!!! COFFEE!!!~D Friday Eve. Carpet is installed. Now I spend the day putting things back to rights, Yesterday the kids had their piano recital at Memory Care at the local retirement home. They did a great job. Especially DD2 who struggles and struggles, but she learned her pieces and did well. My Aunt B is a resident there in Memory Care. She’s my Grandma’s younger sister. She’s 97 years old and still remembers me. She didn’t remember my mom, though,😂😂😂. I guess that’s what dementia does to you. I still feel kind of carpy from this UTI.
  15. We've had the cat about a year (she was a rescue) and the dog about 4 years (also a rescue). The cat is 12 pounds and the dog is 16, so roughly the same size. The cat only in the past few months started coming downstairs and feeling comfortable. Now, she's down all the time. She has started chasing our dog if she happens to get too close. Most of the time our dog has no idea where the cat is so it really scares her. This morning I watched the cat jump out of nowhere to chase the dog and now the dog is afraid to get off the couch. It's almost like the cat is purposefully hiding and waiting. 😲 We've tried lots of different cat toys to engage her but she is afraid of them. She only likes things that don't make noise. It's so weird - she's afraid of cat toys but not the dog! Thankfully there hasn't been anything more than chasing and hissing but I am worried about what might happen if we're not home and the dog can't run right to us. What can we do to stop it? I really don't like the dog being so afraid all the time.
  16. DH’s company is struggling financially & while we were Stateside visiting family announced they are offering severance - ONCE - in advance of layoffs. So... we are moving back to the US. In 5wks. SURPRISE!! Homeschooling plans are blown to smithereens. We’ll crash land w/ family, but no idea where in the country we’ll end up, or when. DH is applying for jobs like a madman. I’m trying to wrap up as much as possible before our flight out, then will be packing & making other arrangements like a madwoman when we touch down. We are on “summer break” indefinitely.
  17. Oh no!!!!!!! I've had one gallon dropped, but never two! Ackkkkkkkk!
  18. I think I could do a day trip boat excursion but I'm talking about sleeping on a boat. Don't think I could do that, patch or not. I'm referring to May 2020. Thanks so much for this! I'll need to map it out and check with AAA and Frommers. I'm unclear still about the length of time. If by train it takes quite a while to get to destination and the time back is just as long then wouldn't you be sleeping on a train? Or, are you referring to short day trips by train? Well, I won't be able to "sleep" on a boat. I could take a day trip. I need to read up more to find out if y'all are saying these boat excursions are longer or shorter. I'm sure there are both. But, it will depend on what we want to see as to where we will go and how far away that place is.
  19. Lots of small companies still have need for IT folks. My husband works for a local food co-op. They have multiple locations locally and have 3 IT people. (He's worked for bigger companies in Silicon Valley and much prefers where he is now.) I'm a content manager for one of the largest networking companies so I work with people in all different types of roles. There are tons of tech jobs that are between traditional IT person and computer programmer. Big companies always have a need for people like TMEs (technical marketing engineers) and trial engineers. Those folks tend to know a lot about technology like security, networking, etc. and aren't likely to be outsourced. Engineers at my company know their one piece of the product really well. They're not involved in making creative product decisions. That's product marketing or product management. Engineers can tell you how their one little piece of something is so important but they don't have the big picture. You don't have to be one of the software engineers to get free lunches, SWAG, etc. Good companies realize that folks in many different roles are critical to a successful product. I work from home full time so I miss out on all the free snacks, but even my on-site writers get them. 🙂
  20. home from DPS with newly permitted driver DS18. Since he's over 18, his learner's permit is valid for *six years*! I told him he did NOT get the full six years to prep for/take the driving test.....the DPS employee assured him yes, he had all the time he needed to feel ready. (this kid will happily take the full six years if we let him........) LOL! Ate some food. Sent a photo of a recipe to a friend currently out of town, from a cookbook we both own. (she doesn't have hers with her) cancelled DS21's appt for tomorrow, since he's working at summer camp and I have no idea when he'll be in town DH texted pics of fresh (live) eels, fish, crabs, mussels, clams, etc. from a local market he stopped in before a meeting. I told him we are NOT having any of those things for dinner today, thankyouverymuch. (he would, if allowed, choose the *weirdest* thing in the tanks, I just know it......) (as a back-up, it does so happen my newest cookbook actually has a recipe for eel, but let's not tell DH.......) I'm assuming a return trip to this market, at a time when we actually can buy to take home to cook, is likely in my near future. I have 30 mins till I have to make the phone call to the prospective student/family, so playing on the computer until then.....
  21. Here at least it flags them for additional intensives in small groups until they read well enough to pass the exam. However long it takes. No labels, just extra help as a pull out, I think.
  22. How did you know about the Bears book? I wonder how many books I’m missing out on; for eg I didn’t know about it for DS, a pity.
  23. Getting started with Latin is quick and painless if you do it orally. Can easily do in 10-15 min per day. We spent the first half of the year writing translations and it was long and painful. Oral is much better and I think retention is great.
  24. The team doesn't see your child as needy enough. They always have students they claim are needier, and you have to show them how your child needs their help. I used facts - student can't finish state exam in time given, numerous notes from teachers for the last two grades showing legibility and speed issues on seatwork, numerous examples of incomplete notes in binder because student could not finish copying from board in time given. Have remediated spelling, glasses are up to date. In his sixth year of piano, 3rd year of brass so finger strength is not an issue. Writing is legible when slow, but not at classroom speed. The current teachers claimed everything was good. I took over the meeting very patiently and got down to facts. What can we do now to help child succeed? He can't pass if he doesn't have complete notes. He cant pass if he can't finish in the time given. He can't pass if the grader can't read what he wrote. See a theme? I beieve this is why testing has gone to the computer...easier to teach keyboarding than writing. Anywho, OT agreed to measure writing speed vs legibility and came back with he can't succeed in the classroom and offered the alphasmart clone/printer. I had kid get copies of notes from friends. Teachers would give extended time; would scribe the quiz questions that were supposed to be copied off the board. I wasn't interested in an IEP, just buying time so I could remediate without kid flunking. The science and math teachers weren't dummies; its pretty obvious from Jeopardy reviews who knows their stuff and who can't get it down on paper. The OT didn't understand the difference between drawing and writing. That expertise is long gone from schools. The only person who knew what I was talking about was the first grade teacher (my neighbor) and she retired ten years ago. The younger teachers do not have writing expertise. They never get to it because they are teaching ENL for the most part and that starts with verbal. So the lessons you and I had on sentence composition, paragraph composition, essay composition, parts of speech, dictionary use , public speaking, listening to complex thoughts and responding-- all gone. They are to mimic what they read, and that's not grade level if its from the school. I afterschooled all that, the resources are cheap and easy and most people do same and our scout program provides plenty of opportunity. What Heathermomster said. Lastly, if your child is trying to use D'Nealian, stop. Special needs students have that font modified from the get-go as it does not lend itself to fluency. By the way, here our work paid off and son was able to write his Regents and college exams in the time given. He could not keep up with taking notes by hand during college lecture, so used laptop. Don't ever claim 'gifted'. In their mind gifted=rich=hothoused. Not the population they want to serve. These are not the teachers who graduated from Normal school.
  1. Load more activity