What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

Do you have a great Olive Oil to recommend?

26 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17038 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

Foodies? Spy Car? Anyone?

I want to get a very good Olive Oil to use as a finishing oil; i.e., on top of my fresh green beans, or served with bread. So one that you really do taste. Do you have one you like?
  • WoolySocks likes this

#2 Danae

Danae

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

I recommend going to a store that has oils in casks and lets you taste them. When you find one you like they'll fill a bottle for you. My current favorite is Picual (that's the name of the olive cultivar, I'm not sure if there's also a brand name because I use a refillable bottle and the sticker just says "picual"). It's somewhat grassy tasting, though, and no one else in the family likes it.
  • Liz CA and Quill like this

#3 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13403 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

I like the California Olive Ranch brand because it's one of the few in my price range that I can be sure is 100% olive oil because of you know... regulations... in CA. I'm sure there are more gourmet ones, but I can buy it at several local grocery stores including Walmart. I think it tastes very good. 

• VaKim, Lady Florida., Quill and 4 others like this

#4 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16399 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

I am in an olive oil club.  This is so decadent to me.  I get three olive oils every quarter.  Probably they are ridiculously overpriced, but dang it is fun, and I LOVE olive oil.

They come with recipes, which are awfully good.  And they are always very good and very fresh-tasting.

• Angie in VA, Quill and Artichoke like this

#5 vmsurbat

vmsurbat

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

I am in an olive oil club.  This is so decadent to me.  I get three olive oils every quarter.  Probably they are ridiculously overpriced, but dang it is fun, and I LOVE olive oil.

They come with recipes, which are awfully good.  And they are always very good and very fresh-tasting.

OMG!  I never heard of such a thing!  I can see giving that as a wonderful gift for some otherwise hard-to-shop for relatives.  A quick google search showed me several clubs.  Which one are you in?

TIA,

Vicki

• Quill likes this

#6 JIN MOUSA

JIN MOUSA

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:19 AM

America's Test Kitchen has some info on it https://www.splendid...mium-olive-oils

Side note: America's Test Kitchen really gets me with their thorough research and comparisons - so many things I didn't know I need/want!

They also concur with California Olive Ranch as a good supermarket option. 

• Liz CA, Quill and WoolySocks like this

#7 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9316 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

https://www.getolive...tions/olive-oil

I have and use s lot of the basil- and rosemary-infused olive oils from here.
  • Quill likes this

#8 Catwoman

Catwoman

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29051 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Another vote for the California brand. :)
  • Quill likes this

#9 extendedforecast

extendedforecast

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2250 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:38 AM

Another vote for the California brand. :)

Another from me as well.
  • Catwoman and Quill like this

#10 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12910 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

I may be misinformed but I seem to remember that CA has strict guidelines what can truly be labeled as olive oil. So if you get olive oil harvested, bottled and labeled in CA, you should (in theory at least) get the real thing.

Chaffin Family Farm is a good source among several others: http://www.chaffinfa...rgin-olive-oil/

California Olive Ranch is a good choice as well.

Here is another, more specific option: http://shop.weolive.com/

• Angie in VA and Quill like this

#11 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16399 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:48 AM

OMG!  I never heard of such a thing!  I can see giving that as a wonderful gift for some otherwise hard-to-shop for relatives.  A quick google search showed me several clubs.  Which one are you in?

TIA,

Vicki

Fresh Pressed Olive Oil Club.

https://supplementpo...olive-oil-club/

• vmsurbat and Quill like this

#12 Rosie_0801

Rosie_0801

Beekeeping Professor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28693 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

That is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

#13 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17038 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

It sounds like I should try to find the California Olive Ranch one. :)

And - an Olive Oil Club! Brilliant!

#14 Katy

Katy

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

If you have Bountiful Baskets near you, my favorite has been from them.  It's not offered every week, it's an extra that's offered a few times a quarter, but it's really good.

I've read that Costco's Kirkland's Organic EVOO is widely the best quality for the price - cold pressed, tastes and smells like olives, and is the largest brand that has routinely tested as 100% real and not cut with cheaper oils. 

Here's an article about brands that seem to be okay & those that should absolutely be avoided: http://lifehacker.co...ands-1460894373

• Quill likes this

#15 G5052

G5052

Retired Homeschool Mom -- they're in college!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9210 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

We like both Costco's and California Olive Ranch.

There's a store some 30 minutes from me that sells oils, vinegars, and seasonings. They have olive oil tastings!

• Quill and Artichoke like this

#16 LuvToRead

LuvToRead

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Yes, California Olive Ranch.  ATK recommended it and I can find it locally in a small town which is a bonus.  I know there are better, but for the price and the fact I don't have to drive an hour to get it, this is a good one

• Quill likes this

#17 MommyLiberty5013

MommyLiberty5013

Don't Let the Lipstick Fool You

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Another vote for California. It's all I use and have for years.
  • Quill likes this

#18 solascriptura

solascriptura

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

I've been getting olive oils from CA too. I heard somewhere that the oils from Italy may not be true olive oils because of the mafia and counterfeit oils. Strange. I thought I'd just bypass that altogether and buy from Cali.
  • Quill likes this

#19 Reluctant Homeschooler

Reluctant Homeschooler

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1428 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

The things I learn here! It never occurred to me that such a thing existed. (Very cool gift for foodies.) The Hive is an education unto itself.

• Lady Florida. and Quill like this

#20 zoobie

zoobie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10340 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

Trader Joe's has a California olive oil in a tall, skinny, round bottle. It has a nice, subtle peppery bite that doesn't choke me in the back of the throat. I like it on salads and DH loves it on popcorn. There are some stores around here that sell nothing but oil and vinegar! You can go in and sample.
  • Quill likes this

#21 marbel

marbel

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8322 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

I was happy to see this thread.  Most olive oil tastes rancid to me.  I have been using Wegman's store brand, no idea where it comes from but it's been fine, but not great.  I've tried several others, including from Trader Joe's, and haven't liked them.  Thanks to this thread, I've got a reason to go to World Market (fun store!) tomorrow to pick up some California Olive Ranch oil to try. 

:-)

• Quill likes this

#22 AmandaVT

AmandaVT

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2584 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

For everyday olive oil, I also use California Olive Ranch. It's delicious and decently priced. 

For the good drizzling stuff, I go to a local oil and vinegar store in town. They have delicious oil and really fun and yummy balsamics.

A few years ago, I read a really interesting book on olive oil, called Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil. I switched to California Olive Ranch after reading it.

• Quill likes this

#23 Sara in AZ

Sara in AZ

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1651 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

Queen Creek Olive Mill here in AZ has a fabulous garlic infused olive oil that I LOVE. I use it as the dressing on salads all the time with a little salt and pepper.

https://www.queencreekolivemill.com

#24 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17038 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

I did buy not one, but two versions of the California Olive Ranch oils today (Mild & Buttery; Rich & Robust), along with a decadant flaked salt and aloaf of round Italian bread. I tried both, first with no salt, then with the salt flakes. Man, oh man, that is yummy! I think I prefer the Mild & Buttery one, but they are equally good.

That salt is brilliant. I also had with dinner fresh tomatoes sliced from my garden, with the flaked salt and shreds of parmesan cheese. I ate too much salt. But it was good. But now my tongue hurts, lol!
  • Rosie_0801, LuvToRead and AmandaVT like this

#25 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12910 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

I've been getting olive oils from CA too. I heard somewhere that the oils from Italy may not be true olive oils because of the mafia and counterfeit oils. Strange. I thought I'd just bypass that altogether and buy from Cali.

If you could get to Italy where the olive orchards are, it would likely be great but importing oils and bottling oils leaves (evidently) a lot of room for diluting the olive oil with other - often rancid - oils.

• Quill likes this

#26 jdahlquist

jdahlquist

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1758 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Greek olive oils.  I have even known some Italians who buy Greek olive oil.  

• Quill likes this

#27 school17777

school17777

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2343 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

My friend imports this olive oil from Spain. I can possibly deliver some to you at the WTM get together, if you are interested.

https://olverousa.com/
  • Quill likes this