Menu

Spider bite. How long to wait? Updated in new post.

Miss Peregrine

Pretty positive it is a spider bite as it looks like the pics I saw. White ring around the outside. This morning at 11 it was a small raised bump in the center with about 2 " diameter. Its 10:15 pm now and the diameter is 5 inches. The bite is a little pus-y and surrounded by a darker red but no funnel anything like that.

Edited by Miss Peregrine

Pretty positive it is a spider bite as it looks like the pics I saw. White ring around the outside. This morning at 11 it was a small raised bump in the center with about 2 " diameter. Its 10:15 pm now and the diameter is 5 inches. The bite is a little pus-y and surrounded by a darker red but no funnel anything like that. 

I would take photos to document the progress. Draw a ring and the time around it.

I would take 25 to 50mg of Benadryl every 6 hours, and a Tylenol or two.  Ice to help with discomfort as needed.

Look at it under a magnifying glass to make sure there is no part of the spider/insect/bee still in there.  (if there is, google how to remove it without injecting more venom)

Find out which urgent care is open in the morning and be there first thing. 

• Like 2

I'd be super careful.  My husband had something that looked like a spider bite.  It ended up being MRSA and landed him in the hospital for a week on very strong antibiotics.  It can probably wait until morning, but I'd head to urgent care tomorrow to get it looked at.  Signs to watch for would be sudden fever, swelling, pain in areas other than the affected area.  For infection, you can soak it in a warm bath and it will help draw it up.  

If it's truly a spider bite, you probably should still have it looked out because obviously you're reacting poorly.  Watch for trouble breathing.

• Like 1

Well, I'm awake for different reasons, but now I saw this!  It sounds like it's a spider bite.  You could also try putting antibiotic cream on it.  I assume you don't have a fever.  Hopefully the benedryl will kick in quickly and not only help with the reaction but help you sleep!

• Like 1

When I had mylast bite, it grew slowly over about a week. I think I went to the Dr on day 3. The pain got worse each day, making my joints ache. I was bit on my shoulder, by the end it spread into my elbow and even my fingers! It took a good week before it started getting better. I'm hoping this one isn't as bad!

• Like 1

Do you have any idea what kind of spider? Is the brown recluse in your area? Because if it's a brown recluse you really don't want to wait long. Tissue can start "dying" fairly soon from a bite by one of those nasty spiders.

I think watching the size of the area is a good idea. If it appears to be spreading (and spreading quickly) seek medical care. It's not an emergency but it is urgent.

• Like 2

Do you have any idea what kind of spider? Is the brown recluse in your area? Because if it's a brown recluse you really don't want to wait long. Tissue can start "dying" fairly soon from a bite by one of those nasty spiders.

I think watching the size of the area is a good idea. If it appears to be spreading (and spreading quickly) seek medical care. It's not an emergency but it is urgent.

It would most likely be a brown recluse.

It would most likely be a brown recluse.

I'm not trying to scare you, and people react differently to bites from a brown recluse, but I would have it looked at. Dh was bitten by one (years before I met him, so what follows is second hand info from him). At first he let it go, figuring like most bites, it would go away on its own. When it was not only not getting better, but getting painful, he went to a doctor. The doctor sent him home with something topical. That wasn't really incompetence because at that time (the 80s) the brown recluse was just beginning to make itself at home in Florida and most people, including doctors, didn't know it was here. Before long, necrosis began to set in and that's when the medical professionals finally acted. They had to remove the dead tissue, and dh still has the scar and wrinkly skin near his elbow where they had to stitch what was left back together. 

As I said, I'm not trying to scare you, but because of dh when I hear "spider bite" my automatic recommendation is to get it looked at.

• Like 3

I had a spider bite a couple of years ago. It started spreading and I went to Urgent care at the request of the pharmacist. I had asked him which cream to get for it and he told me to immediately get checked out. I'm glad I did because I was having some kind of allergic reaction to it and needed medicine stronger than Benadryl to clear it up.

• Like 2

Ok, so apparently we don't have brown recluses in CA? I thought we did. So I don't know what it could be. Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 1

The questions to ask (even yourself) are: is the inflammation spreading? (Insect bites can get infected). Is it getting better with time instead of worse (or even staying the same at this point since a 5 inch diameter is pretty big)? Is any skin or tissue becoming dis colored or being eaten away? If the answer is yes to any of those, I would have it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I added a new pic to the album. The white outside on the left is outside the line I drew last night(faded).

The whole thing is raised. When I look down at it it doesn't look that bad to me but then I looked in the mirror and it does look pretty bad.

Ugh. I don't go to the dr. I get white coat syndrome and just ugh.

I added a new pic to the album. The white outside on the left is outside the line I drew last night(faded).

The whole thing is raised. When I look down at it it doesn't look that bad to me but then I looked in the mirror and it does look pretty bad.

Ugh. I don't go to the dr. I get white coat syndrome and just ugh.

How do I get to the album?

Sorry to be so clueless!

How do I get to the album?

Sorry to be so clueless!

It took me a while to figure it out too, but then I rarely venture outside the Chat board.  :D

Here's the link

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/649226-test-album/

It's in the Introductions and Test Posting board, then Miss Peregrine made a thread called test album.

• Like 1

I posted it in the test forum to test how it would post. I just left it there.

It took me a while to figure it out too, but then I rarely venture outside the Chat board. :D

Here's the link

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/649226-test-album/

It's in the Introductions and Test Posting board, then Miss Peregrine made a thread called test album.

Thanks! I found it (thanks to your help!) :)

I usually come straight to the Chat forum, too, so I didn't know where to start looking.

The redness doesn't look too bad, but the swelling looks nasty. Is the area warmer than the surrounding skin? Is it painful? Does it itch? Have you checked to make sure you're not running a fever?

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

The last pic is definitely bigger than the other two.  Have you tried cortisone cream on it? When I was bitten by a black widow I could see the two fang marks in the center of the bite, can you see anything like that? 

It's not getting better. I think you should just go and get it checked...better safe than sorry!

Thanks! I found it (thanks to your help!) :)

I usually come straight to the Chat forum, too, so I didn't know where to start looking.

The redness doesn't look too bad, but the swelling looks nasty. Is the area warmer than the surrounding skin? Is it painful? Does it itch? Have you checked to make sure you're not running a fever?

Very itchy. Slightly warmer than surrounding skin. No fever.

• Like 1

The last pic is definitely bigger than the other two. Have you tried cortisone cream on it? When I was bitten by a black widow I could see the two fang marks in the center of the bite, can you see anything like that?

It's not getting better. I think you should just go and get it checked...better safe than sorry!

Can't see anything.

While my primary advice would still be a doctor, if you aren't going to do that then I would suggest getting some tea tree oil and putting it all over the bite area even past the swollen area. Reapply a couple of times a day.

I'm going to go. My mom told me to. :lol:

Finishing up making dinner.

• Like 6

Yay for getting better!

I would get some Florastor (OTC at the drugstore) and would take that a couple hours after the antibiotic. Then once the antibiotic is done, take a probiotic for a while.

I've been doing the Florastor two hours after the abx and a powdered probiotic in between in my water. I am going to stay on the Florastor for a couple of months, at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feel better soon! Some antibiotics just don't play nice and reactions are actually quite common. Fortunately there are some plenty of antibiotics to try even if you are reacting to a common class. Hugs to you.

I'm back. I had a bad rash on my torso, upper arms, and legs yesterday. Tried benedryl and woke up with it head to toe this morning.

I got a steroid shot and that should take care of it, I hope.

The original bite with about a 2-inch diameter area is perfectly clear, no rash. So weird. Lol

• Like 2