#1 mommysanders

mommysanders

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hi everyone,

Over the past year, I've slowly started realizing I don't have much knowledge of common manners. I mean, I know the basics like don't talk with your mouth full and don't interrupt others, etc. But I find myself in situations where I don't know what's proper etiquette. Things like how to use the utensils appropriately, the best way to introduce two people, etc. Maybe that's more than just "common manners". Is there a book, video series, curriculum, anything that can help me learn this and also something I can use to teach my children? My kids are young right now, but they're interested in learning. I thought maybe this would be something we can focus on over the summer break.

In case it's interesting to anyone, I found out I needed to learn more table manners because I now live in Europe and some of the manners are different here. For example, you typically always keep your knife and fork in each hand without setting them down. Then you just sort of push food up onto your fork and eat. But I'm pretty sure in America you're supposed to cut your food, then set down your knife, then eat from the fork. At least I think so? See, I need help! Haha!

#2 EKT

EKT

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

We've used 365 Manners Kids Should Know as part of our Morning Basket before. (Not all the time, but we work through it here and there; the kids think it's fun!) Maybe something like that would work for you?

This book, Modern Manners also looks good. (I've never read it, but it came up in my Amazon search when I was looking for the other one, and it looks like a good resource for adults! I added it to my future reference wishlist...) 

• mommysanders likes this

#3 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31103 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

Hi everyone,

Over the past year, I've slowly started realizing I don't have much knowledge of common manners. I mean, I know the basics like don't talk with your mouth full and don't interrupt others, etc. But I find myself in situations where I don't know what's proper etiquette. Things like how to use the utensils appropriately, the best way to introduce two people, etc. Maybe that's more than just "common manners". Is there a book, video series, curriculum, anything that can help me learn this and also something I can use to teach my children? My kids are young right now, but they're interested in learning. I thought maybe this would be something we can focus on over the summer break.

In case it's interesting to anyone, I found out I needed to learn more table manners because I now live in Europe and some of the manners are different here. For example, you typically always keep your knife and fork in each hand without setting them down. Then you just sort of push food up onto your fork and eat. But I'm pretty sure in America you're supposed to cut your food, then set down your knife, then eat from the fork. At least I think so? See, I need help! Haha!

Judith Martin's "Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Etiquette."  It's great fun to read, unlike some etiquette books which are just boring. You learn so much from reading it, and sometimes you LOL at the same time. :-) There's also "Miss Manners' Guide to Rearing Perfect Children." I love that, too. :-)

And yes, you are correct: In the U.S. we are supposed to do the whole switching-back-and-forth with the knife and fork. You're in Europe, so eat as they do. :-)

• JoJosMom, mommysanders and fralala like this

#4 Targhee

Targhee

Cat Herder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

We've used 365 Manners Kids Should Know as part of our Morning Basket before. (Not all the time, but we work through it here and there; the kids think it's fun!) Maybe something like that would work for you?

This book, Modern Manners also looks good. (I've never read it, but it came up in my Amazon search when I was looking for the other one, and it looks like a good resource for adults! I added it to my future reference wishlist...)

We also have the 365 Manners book and use it in our morning basket with kids together - and have them practice.
  • mommysanders and EKT like this

#5 bibiche

bibiche

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2365 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

And yes, you are correct: In the U.S. we are supposed to do the whole switching-back-and-forth with the knife and fork. You're in Europe, so eat as they do. :-)

Continental style table manners are perfectly acceptable in the US. American style, while perfectly acceptable in Europe, will make you look like somewhat of a rube. (Oh, and don't keep your hand in your lap.) I actually know very few people who use American style even in the US. If you have to teach your children one, I would go with Continental. 

Edited by bibiche, 21 April 2017 - 10:26 AM.

• Tanaqui, Minerva and mommysanders like this

#6 Mabelen

Mabelen

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Continental style table manners are perfectly acceptable in the US. American style, while perfectly acceptable in Europe, will make you look like somewhat of a rube. (Oh, and don't keep your hand in your lap.) I actually know very few people who use American style even in the US. If you have to teach your children one, I would go with Continental.

I am glad to hear that the Continental style is acceptable here. I must say that the American style is not very efficient. I have tried at times to follow it but I just can't for the life of me get used to it!

Edited by Mabelen, 21 April 2017 - 04:39 PM.

• bibiche and mommysanders like this

#7 rushhush08

rushhush08

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

My boys are reading 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know at the moment and It looks great!

There is identical one for young ladies too.

#8 Jyhwkmama

Jyhwkmama

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

My son is using this right now. It has videos!

https://www.theetiqu...catId=&itmId=28

EF has many other products too.

• whitehawk and mommysanders like this

#9 whitehawk

whitehawk

Making it go!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5261 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

I was also going to suggest Etiquette Factory products.

• Jyhwkmama and mommysanders like this

#10 matrips

matrips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

We watch The Etiquette Factory at breakfast.
  • Jyhwkmama and mommysanders like this

#11 Ausmumof3

Ausmumof3

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4473 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:27 PM

I also like some of the Montessori style etiquette lessons on the net. I feel like they helped my younger one be the confident sociable little friend he is.

#12 luuknam

luuknam

Feeling the Weight of Levity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5336 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Huh, the things you learn... I assumed that it was mostly a class difference. So, if you're at an important function involving the upper echelons of US society, do you use American style or Continental style? I always assumed Continental, but now y'all are having me doubt myself.

#13 klmama

klmama

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5138 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

Where I live it would be seen as a regional difference, as the wealthy and powerful people here still eat US style. In NYC I was informed me that "anyone who is anyone" eats European style. So, perhaps it's more of a combination.
  • mommysanders and luuknam like this

#14 mommysanders

mommysanders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

These are all wonderful suggestions. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk