Menu

Healthy Sides for Hot dogs and Hamburgers?

Well I'm doing this tomorrow!  We're having green salad with feta, almonds, and berries.  Vinaigrette based potato salad with asparagus, artichokes, dill, and blue cheese.  Veggies and dip.  Refrigerator pickles. Corn on the cob.  Not super healthy probably, but not horrible either.  Better than doritos right?  ;)

I'm not using this exact salad recipe (I have mixed greens and using a mix of berries and throwing in green onions because I have a million, possibly shredding some salad turnips to put in too.  Can you tell we get a CSA?) but this dressing is such a good summer dressing for green salads with fruit! 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-and-Feta-Salad/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=strawberry%20feta%20salad&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

• Like 1

Typical sides to me are chips or fries, so healthy sides in that texture realm would be:

crunchy

raw veggies

fresh fruit/fruit salad

sliced cucumber, tomatoes, mozzarella

dill, radish and cucumber salad

grilled corn on the cob

Asian coleslaw

soft

roasted root veggies (sweet potatoes, rutabaga, zucchini, squash)

grilled asparagus

grilled pineapple

steamed broccoli with parmesan

sweet potato fries

garlic green beans - the long ones, not short mushy ones :)

• Like 1

Sides we are having: 

Red, white, and blue potato salad: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-white-blue-potato-salad#  It's a vinagrette dressing

Romaine salad with red, white and blue:  tomatoes, feta, and borage flowers (blue, star-shaped ) but you could use strawberries and blueberries for the topping instead

Fresh corn on the cob

Deviled eggs (I use only the tiniest bit of mayo)

I may go out and get a watermelon, too, but we've had a lot of those lately. 

• Like 1

I've made a broccoli/bacon salad that I was this week on THM's FB page. I made it this morning, and it is calling my name, but I have to wait until dinner time to try it. I've also made homemade guacamole (not that pea stuff...lol) with blue corn chips. And I'm marinating cucumber slices and Vidalia onions in rice vinegar...these will be gone quickly tonight!

My sister is making homemade banana ice cream. Banana=fruit=healthy, right??? :-)

• Like 1